Author Topic: How do you motivate yourself to work 1,000 more days?  (Read 31807 times)

Anette

• Bristles
Re: How do you motivate yourself to work 1,000 more days?
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 03:42:40 AM »
@Malkynn  How did you get to the point of consciously changing your perception?

I am very much struggling with wishing for things in the future and not able to enjoy day to day life as much but can't seem to change.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 04:31:28 AM »
I'd recommend not counting days until you are under a hundred.  I just counted months or years before that.  Now that I am in daily mode, it does seem to move more slowly but the months and years went by fast.

My number is:  32.  May 31.  Can't come soon enough.

I transitioned from management to an individual role 6 years ago, and now work from home 100%.  Its been great for my health and sanity.   The only "issue" I'm facing is that, as someone else mentioned above, I no longer really care about getting it all done and instead focus on just those critical items.  Because I've been successful at that, I keep getting more and more opportunities and projects.  My boss will be surprised.  Most of the older people at my job retired on the job and have been useless for years.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 04:59:39 AM »
@Malkynn  How did you get to the point of consciously changing your perception?

I am very much struggling with wishing for things in the future and not able to enjoy day to day life as much but can't seem to change.

It's just about making it a top priority.

The problem is that most people don't understand priorities.
Most people think making something a priority means cramming into their existing life by willpower or force.

Like exercise, most people try to willpower themselves to exercise after work, on top of everything else they are already trying to accomplish. It doesn't work because they're not actually prioritizing it over anything else, they're trying to allot extra resources to it that they don't have.

Making something a priority means putting it first and adjusting your *entire life* around it and allotting your resources accordingly.

I now believe that if you aren't happy with your present, you had better have a damn good reason for it: finishing med school, battling cancer, bouncing back from a major business failure, going through a divorce, etc, etc.
Y'know, shit that really throws you for a loop and can take several years to manage.

If you are relatively able bodied, remotely intelligent, and have even a smidge of discipline, you should be able to generate a fulfilling life.

If you aren't...maybe you need to re-evaluate not just your plan, but also your priorities.

If your plan is based solely on the priority of making your future self happy, then you have a glaringly obvious culprit as to why you aren't happy in the present.
You CHOSE not to be. You chose a life and balance of priorities that puts future you ahead of present you.

The biggest problem with choosing future happiness over current happiness is that the more you do it, the more you train yourself to only consider your future self.

You train yourself to devalue your current happiness, which isn't healthy. If you do it long enough, it becomes very hard to stop.

When is enough? When is future-you allowed to be now-you?

It will ALWAYS seem more beneficial to prioritize future-you. It will always seem wiser, more mature, admirable, advisable, and praise-worthy.
Except it's not. In fact, it's pretty fucking pathological actually.

Delayed gratification is wise compared to self-destructive self-indulgence, but that's VERY different from prioritizing present happiness, and that's the part that most people get confused about. We're taught as kids the value of not giving into our short term drives, only NO ONE teaches us about how hard it is to be happy.

People assume happiness is a passive state that occurs when there's an absence of barriers to said happiness.
"I'll be happy when I graduate", "I'll be happy when I have FU money", "I'll be happy when I retire", "I'll be happy when I lose the weight", "I'll be happy when my kid gets into college and I no longer have to worry about all of these extra curriculars", etc, etc.

Happiness is like physical fitness, it takes work every day to maintain it. An obese person who loses weight isn't suddenly fit. They're not obese anymore, which is great, but they still need to exercise in order to get fit.

Happiness is the same. You can remove barriers to make it a lot easier to be happy, but you still have to put in the daily work and make it a daily priority.

So again, if happiness *today* isn't your priority, then how on earth do you expect to be happy in the future? And when exactly will it be appropriate to start working on it?

Your life will never be perfect, you will always have stressed and obligations and retirement won't fix that for you. A certain net worth won't fix that for you.

So you feel like you want to focus on happiness today but you "can't". Well, of course you can't, your priorities and plans probably don't align at all with generating present happiness.

Look carefully at your life choices and your priorities. I bet most of them are future-focused and by design they put your current happiness on the back burner. And don't forget, that that's a choice that you made for yourself.

If you want it to be different, you have ALL of the power to decide to have different priorities. But understand what that means. Understand that that means completely rearranging your entire life around a new priority, not just really wishing things were different and continuing on in the exact same pattern you always have.

The craziest thing about prioritizing present happiness is that it often correlates with higher future happiness as well. People like me and MMM himself have learned though experience that amazing doors open up when you focus on living your best life.

I chose to significantly cut back in my career in order to focus on mental health and happiness, and a few years later, my career has exploded in ways I could never have imagined, because I've focused only on projects that I enjoy and ferociously defended myself against work I don't enjoy.

As a result, my future self actually has a much cushier life than what was initially planned back when my future self was my top priority.

My last note on this very long essay of a post is that focusing on my present happiness has made me much more insightful as to what my future self might actually want.

It's shocking to realize that if you aren't already happy, it's extremely difficult to anticipate what a happy future-you really cares about. It's been eye opening getting to know my happy self and alarming to find that her priorities are WAY OFF what I thought they were back when I was unhappy.

ETA: sorry for the length, I've had way too much coffee this morning, lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:15:34 AM by Malkynn »

HappyCheerE

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:25 AM »
This is awesome, Malkynn, thanks! +1 on happy-now helping with good decisions for happy-later. The trick for me has been figuring out what I think is going to result in happiness (avoiding pain, running away from problems, hiding my head in the sand) vs. what actually increases it (doing one thing, tackling problems, being gentle with myself w/o indulging myself). Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert was very helpful to emphasize how bad our instincts are. https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being (Yale MOOC with Laurie Santos too!

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
@Malkynn 
I am very grateful for your "long essay" of a reply. Through your explanation I was able to look at my situation from a different perspective and can now see better where the problems lie.
I am generally a happy, cheerful person. In my immediate family we have had lots of awful things happening in the last 7 years. Starting with the death of our oldest daughter, followed by severe depression in our second oldest, Scotland road in our second youngest and latest development depression in our youngest ( it has just been to much for her). And those are just the really big issues. Our middle child had a crisis as a teenagerd but seems to be doing really great now.
Anyway, your insights really helped me see that I am a generally happy person feeling trapped in this very unhappy situation ( and trust me, other than the middle child no one is interested in my the glass is half full and let's try to concentrate on the here and now and where do we want to go from here approach) My Husband and I are making lots of plans for the future as that seems to make this bearable. But the better approach must be to find and create good times for us now. Emotionally it feels like a weight pulling us down, all the hopelessness and death wishes from the kids and it's very hard to be stoic about it. Because he's it's not me and I cannot change it but I am emotionally so attached.
I hope I didn't scare anyone with this, just wanting to say thank you malkynn for taking all that time out of your day to send me this well thought out response. I feel very touched that you would do this for me and read this to my husband and we had a nice discussion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 02:19:32 PM »
@Malkynn 
I am very grateful for your "long essay" of a reply. Through your explanation I was able to look at my situation from a different perspective and can now see better where the problems lie.
I am generally a happy, cheerful person. In my immediate family we have had lots of awful things happening in the last 7 years. Starting with the death of our oldest daughter, followed by severe depression in our second oldest, Scotland road in our second youngest and latest development depression in our youngest ( it has just been to much for her). And those are just the really big issues. Our middle child had a crisis as a teenagerd but seems to be doing really great now.
Anyway, your insights really helped me see that I am a generally happy person feeling trapped in this very unhappy situation ( and trust me, other than the middle child no one is interested in my the glass is half full and let's try to concentrate on the here and now and where do we want to go from here approach) My Husband and I are making lots of plans for the future as that seems to make this bearable. But the better approach must be to find and create good times for us now. Emotionally it feels like a weight pulling us down, all the hopelessness and death wishes from the kids and it's very hard to be stoic about it. Because he's it's not me and I cannot change it but I am emotionally so attached.
I hope I didn't scare anyone with this, just wanting to say thank you malkynn for taking all that time out of your day to send me this well thought out response. I feel very touched that you would do this for me and read this to my husband and we had a nice discussion.

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn hard to see any happiness when you are in the middle of total hell. I completely understand that, but I don't have kids, so I know nothing about what it's like to try and cope with their hell. That adds a whole other level of challenge.

My heart goes out to you.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 05:21:24 PM »
That’s my personal target. < 800 working days. On one hand seems so short. On the other so long. I could FIRE now but would prefer the added pad and paying off a couple more rentals.

To motivate yourself presently  focus on the financial benefit of deciding to do what  you say you prefer.

As the 1000 days pass by think of  the  accruing   financial security and attendant peace of mind as a dual, increasing,  positive "yield."

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:33:12 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 05:30:48 PM »
I have small targets

Each Friday I celebrate another week of success at work or in the household (if it was a good week)

Every weekend I remind myself of the things I am grateful for

Each 2-4 weeks I review my mortgage and mentally tick off making the target that I need to

Every few months I do a mini-big-celebration if my partner and I have met our FIRE goals for that time span

I have a rule that each time I make my monthly target at work (i.e., the figure that my FIRE goals are dependent on), I give myself 10% of the excess and put that into a happy fund.

Each time I pay off a house we have a big celebration too.

You need to celebrate tiny, small, medium, big and gigantic milestones...make FIRE an enjoyable journey! Try to make it a rewarding game rather than a long marathon. And make sure you are vocal about your successes too, because a joy shared is a joy doubled. And be grateful for the little successes.

Hear, hear!

Gratitude is indispensable.

Gratitude is the font of happiness.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
I have small targets

Each Friday I celebrate another week of success at work or in the household (if it was a good week)

Each 2-4 weeks I review my mortgage and mentally tick off making the target that I need to

Every few months I do a mini-big-celebration if my partner and I have met our FIRE goals for that time span

I have a rule that each time I make my monthly target at work (i.e., the figure that my FIRE goals are dependent on), I give myself 10% of the excess and put that into a happy fund.

You need to celebrate tiny, small, medium, big and gigantic milestones...make FIRE an enjoyable journey! Try to make it a rewarding game rather than a long marathon. And make sure you are vocal about your successes too, because a joy shared is a joy doubled. And be grateful for the little successes.

Hear, hear!

I think you mean fount.  The font of happiness is Wingdings.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
I would give myself permission to emotionally de-invest in work and make other goals, outside of finance and caree.  Set fitness goals, hobby goals, vacation goals, home improvement goals, organizational goals, learn a new language goals.  Invest in your friends and family outside of work.  Whatever it may be, make a conscious effort to begin living your FIRE life outside of 9-5 M-F.  Find things that round out your life and that will enhance your eventual FIRE.  Work is now just a thing you do during set times of the day and week.

great tips! PTF.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
I have small targets

Hear, hear!

"Any source of abundance" is among the definitions for  "font" in my American Heritage Dictionary.

"Fount" may be the more common usage.

"Fount" versus "font" was discussed at StackExchange.

One poster responded as follows:

From The American Heritage Dictionary comes the following:

font n.
 1. A basin for holding baptismal water in a church.
 2. A receptacle for holy water; a stoup.
 3. The oil reservoir in an oil-burning lamp.
 4. An abundant source; a fount: She was a font of wisdom and good sense.

It seems, then, we have a case of potato-potahto. Either word—font or fount—is perfectly appropriate. I happen to prefer "font".

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »
I have small targets

Hear, hear!

"Any source of abundance" is among the definitions for  "font" in my American Heritage Dictionary.

"Fount" may be the more common usage.

"Fount" versus "font" was discussed at StackExchange.

One poster responded as follows:

From The American Heritage Dictionary comes the following:

font n.
 1. A basin for holding baptismal water in a church.
 2. A receptacle for holy water; a stoup.
 3. The oil reservoir in an oil-burning lamp.
 4. An abundant source; a fount: She was a font of wisdom and good sense.

It seems, then, we have a case of potato-potahto. Either word—font or fount—is perfectly appropriate. I happen to prefer "font".

Huh.  Looked weird to me, but that might just be my Canadian upbringing . . . we're always throwing extra u's into words.  I still believe that the font of happiness is Wingdings though.  :P

Tracyl-5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »
Happiness is the same. You can remove barriers to make it a lot easier to be happy, but you still have to put in the daily work and make it a daily priority.

So again, if happiness *today* isn't your priority, then how on earth do you expect to be happy in the future? And when exactly will it be appropriate to start working on it?

Your life will never be perfect, you will always have stressed and obligations and retirement won't fix that for you. A certain net worth won't fix that for you.

So you feel like you want to focus on happiness today but you "can't". Well, of course you can't, your priorities and plans probably don't align at all with generating present happiness.

Look carefully at your life choices and your priorities. I bet most of them are future-focused and by design they put your current happiness on the back burner. And don't forget, that that's a choice that you made for yourself.

If you want it to be different, you have ALL of the power to decide to have different priorities. But understand what that means. Understand that that means completely rearranging your entire life around a new priority, not just really wishing things were different and continuing on in the exact same pattern you always have.

@Malkynn, I read your posts here yesterday and came back to re-read them today.  You've given me a lot to think about.  Thank you. 

I struggle with current happiness... I hate where I work, where I live, and my non-existant social life, but my husband and I both have great-paying jobs. 
Once we can FIRE, we can move back to be closer to family and friends, and then I can be happy. *Eye Roll*   

Like you said, I have been prioritizing future happiness over present happiness and am finding it hard to stop.  I'm not even sure what would make me happy right now, so I don't even know what to set as different priorities!  Everything I think of that would make me happy is away from this place, but with only 2-3 years to go, I don't want to jeopardize that.  I'm scared to make any changes that could jeopardize that, because right now I see that as my only key to happiness.  It's possible!  Ha! 
But I also do realize I am making excuses for not being happy today...

I used to look to the future like a hungry person longing for a meal. Now I look to the future like someone who is nice and full after a good lunch but who knows that they're going out to a really nice restaurant for dinner.
I'm looking very forward to it, but I'm in no rush because I'm already full and I don't need it right now to feel good, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know how much I'll enjoy it down the road.

I love this!  I want to be this!  I guess I have a lot of soul searching to do...  Thanks to your words and the picture they paint, maybe I'll start doing it.  Now just to figure out where to start...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2019, 05:16:44 AM »

@Malkynn, I read your posts here yesterday and came back to re-read them today.  You've given me a lot to think about.  Thank you. 

I struggle with current happiness... I hate where I work, where I live, and my non-existant social life, but my husband and I both have great-paying jobs. 
Once we can FIRE, we can move back to be closer to family and friends, and then I can be happy. *Eye Roll*   

Like you said, I have been prioritizing future happiness over present happiness and am finding it hard to stop.  I'm not even sure what would make me happy right now, so I don't even know what to set as different priorities!  Everything I think of that would make me happy is away from this place, but with only 2-3 years to go, I don't want to jeopardize that.  I'm scared to make any changes that could jeopardize that, because right now I see that as my only key to happiness.  It's possible!  Ha! 

I used to look to the future like a hungry person longing for a meal. Now I look to the future like someone who is nice and full after a good lunch but who knows that they're going out to a really nice restaurant for dinner.
I'm looking very forward to it, but I'm in no rush because I'm already full and I don't need it right now to feel good, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know how much I'll enjoy it down the road.

I love this!  I want to be this!  I guess I have a lot of soul searching to do...  Thanks to your words and the picture they paint, maybe I'll start doing it.  Now just to figure out where to start...

2-3 years is a very very LONG time to give up.
I know it doesn't sound like it, and people here tend to talk about it as if that amount of time is basically disposable, but it isn't.

I left a very lucrative job that was burning me out. I'm only 2-3 years out since I left that job and it feels like FOREVER ago that I was suffering there.

If I reflect on these last few years, which have been the BEST years of my life, it's absolutely horrifying to think of an alternate reality where I'm still... fucking....there.
Like, the idea makes me a bit nauseous to be honest.

You should be far more afraid of losing entire YEARS of your life to exhausting work that you don't want to do than of an unknown future where every possibility is open to you.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »

Please, please, please think about moving.

You can deal with those individual challenges one at a time- all together is really tough.
I hated where we lived before now. We went from two professional salaries down to one to make the move to where we are now which I LOVE. It's so much better- even with less $$ & more years of work ahead for me. And, our social life is great because we've found our people. Search that soul, the now is worth it!

Good luck.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »
+1 to say thank you to @Malkynn . These posts of yours above have been excellent food for thought.

I'm also 3-4 years out from retirement and am not 100% happy with my job. This forum's message generally makes this state of waiting seem normal and OK but I think it's also been quite damaging. I like the idea of prioritizing present happiness as a skill in itself that needs to be learned and practiced.

I agree that FIRE isn't a magic bullet to solve all my problems. And that there is a learned fear (cultural? familial?) that if I give in to what makes me happy right now, I'll just waste time and do basically nothing. The fear is that I'll sit around and consume garbage - junk food, TV, let my mind and body deteriorate in favour of any given assortment of short term pleasures. The other side of this fear is that life should be a struggle, it should be challenging in order to make it worthwhile, to live up to my potential as a human.

There's a false dichotomy here. Life doesn't have to be a choice between:

A. present suffering / long term happiness

OR

B. present happiness / long term suffering.

It's also not a choice between

A. being stressed out all the time and struggling

OR

B. having no external responsibilities and doing nothing.

Though I feel I do need some challenges to be happy, I don't need prolonged overwhelming stress (often experienced in my job). I'm not sure personally what the answers are in this moment, but I do have to figure out how to make my job more enjoyable than it has been, or leave and do something else. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
Yup.

I work my ass off and I have PLENTY of challenge and healthy stress in my life, my work is fucking insane most of the time.

However, I refused to be *stressed-out* by my job, to live a life where I wish time away as if it's a prison sentence.

I simply refuse to live a life where I rob from myself all of the amazing options out there to get paid for interesting and challenging work.

I would rather make less doing more with my life for more years than throw away any more of my precious goddamn youth on self-inflicted suffering.

I am all for working hard, taking on challenges, pushing myself out of my comfort zone and accomplishing some damn awesome shit along the way.

My focus on happiness is not a focus away from work, it's a focus away from voluntary misery.

The problem is that people equate getting paid with being miserable. I just refuse to accept that, and I work in an industry packed to the rafters with utterly miserable people. Like, really exceptionally miserable people, and for a good reason, my industry is hell. I would advise anyone against it.

Still, I found my little odd corner where I can be abnormally happy because I simply refuse to be the architect of my own misery. I will not be my own jailer.

If no one is holding a gun to my head forcing me to be miserable, then WHY WOULD I CHOOSE TO BE???

What I do today matters.
The life I choose to live today matters because today is literally the only damn day I have any say over.

It sounds like a BS cliche, but once it sinks in, it's like leaving a bad relationship where you didn't realize how awful it was until it was over and start beating yourself up for staying too long.

There's nothing wrong with life being hard. Personally, I prefer it, I get bored really really easily but there's something very wrong with continued suffering that's within your control to end.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:37:58 PM by Malkynn »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
For me having a mindset of x days till retirement, is not healthy, at least for me. Because it's really too long of a time to psychologically make sense, and it will just make you feel antsy. Plus putting it that way is the assumption what you are doing is something that has to be endured. Is that really the attitude you want at work?   

When I walked home from work the other day I had this wonderful sense of gratitude, that somehow it all magically worked out that I have a job I enjoy, and a house that is pleasant walk from my job. That the job pays my bills. Maybe you don't have all that, but maybe your gratitude is, I was efficient at getting through my work today. I have a job that pays my bills and then some, while there are some people out of work, or struggling financially, or HAVE to work because they are in debt.
If you are saving so hard that you feel bad, plan regular time off work, little trips, etc so you have more concrete milestones to look forward to. 

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:41:05 PM by partgypsy »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
< 730 working days left (not counting any vacation days)

A friend built a massive spread sheet to calculate days left to FIRE as well as hours, minutes, and seconds. It also told him home much he made per hour for the day (salary) which wasn't helpful on longer days. He sent me a screen shot whenever he work was dragging him down. On the whole I don't think that helped him much. He chose to a year off without pay this year despite being only 20 months from FIre. It only extends his commitment by four months (It's a all or nothing retirement or he'd be done now) so it might have been a good choice but I probably would have stuck it out and been done for good.

I tend to think of money I earn now as being spend in the future. Say you have 20 years of expenses saved right now. Every $1 you earn today will be worth $4 when you final spend it. That helps me decide to work now instead of goofing off with the plan to work later... I'm not sure that would work if we were already completely FI... I'd probably think about what extra expense I was working to be able to afford and then decide if it was worth trading that many hours of my life for it. It's looking more likely that we will just switch to doing only work we think is worth our time as we approach full FI.

Tracyl-5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
I know it doesn't sound like it, and people here tend to talk about it as if that amount of time is basically disposable, but it isn't.
You should be far more afraid of losing entire YEARS of your life to exhausting work that you don't want to do than of an unknown future where every possibility is open to you.

You can deal with those individual challenges one at a time- all together is really tough.
I hated where we lived before now. We went from two professional salaries down to one to make the move to where we are now which I LOVE. It's so much better- even with less $$ & more years of work ahead for me. And, our social life is great because we've found our people. Search that soul, the now is worth it!

Good luck.

Thank you both for your replies and concern!  That and just knowing I'm not alone makes me happier!
Sometimes it seems like a long time, but, like some others on this thread, when I look back at what I was doing 2-3 years ago, it seems quicker... 

It's... complicated...  If it were all up to me, I'd be gone already.  But my husand is the breadwinner, has a highly specialized job that he likes, and he loves living here.  :o/ 
I love him dearly, and we are in agreement on most aspects of our lives!  It definitely makes me torn on what to do.  I know it's my problem; an internal battle I'm having for sure.  Who in their right mind wouldn't want to live in Hawaii??  And if I were to make him move, and then still struggle to find happiness, what then? 

I think I would like to at least make some progress toward finding present happiness, before making a big change in where we live.  I'm just not even sure how to start. 

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »

I just imagine the 1 million dollars DH should get if he pulls in 3 more years ...

Just kidding!

Now this is what i do:)

I mentally visualise sipping champagne and having the most expensive meal in Le Jules Verne....which just happens to be inside La tour Eiffel...

(this harkens back to younger days of being a poor student in Paris:))

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2019, 12:19:21 AM »
One of the best ways to be happy is to live in the moment. One of the best ways to live in the moment is to spend time with good friends and loved ones - proper, un-self-conscious time.

We don't always get to choose our loved ones, but we can choose our friends. Choose supportive, positive, thoughtful friends who make you feel better. This applies both in life and at work.

At work, try to foster positive relationships where possible. Try to empathise with your colleagues and manager (if you have one). Take one or two under your wing and be taken under the wing of someone older and wiser. If your workplace is toxic, leave if at all possible.

Take some time each day to try to savour the things you are grateful for. Book out some time each week during work for a "client meeting" and just walk out of the office and take a stroll, if you are lucky enough to have a park nearby. If not, listen to some music.

Small things each day can make you focus on living life and being calm.

With friends, celebrate each other's successes - this requires that you have trusting friends who aren't secretly envying you, or vice versa.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2019, 03:28:06 AM »

Good luck.

Thank you both for your replies and concern!  That and just knowing I'm not alone makes me happier!
Sometimes it seems like a long time, but, like some others on this thread, when I look back at what I was doing 2-3 years ago, it seems quicker... 

It's... complicated...  If it were all up to me, I'd be gone already.  But my husand is the breadwinner, has a highly specialized job that he likes, and he loves living here.  :o/ 
I love him dearly, and we are in agreement on most aspects of our lives!  It definitely makes me torn on what to do.  I know it's my problem; an internal battle I'm having for sure.  Who in their right mind wouldn't want to live in Hawaii??  And if I were to make him move, and then still struggle to find happiness, what then? 

I think I would like to at least make some progress toward finding present happiness, before making a big change in where we live.  I'm just not even sure how to start.

Life is complicated for everyone.
It just means that you have to be more creative with your solutions. Think broader than just two options that don't work.

wbarnett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
That's a really long time to be miserable if you're already at your FI number (4ish years, right?). Jump ship and do something part-time if you 'need' the buffer.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
Under 1,032 calendar days

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2019, 11:50:43 PM »
This thread has been truly helpful and eye opening. I don't count down the days, but I am keenly aware of my FI number and where my 'stache is in comparison to that number. Obsessing over it...really isn't that helpful.

As FIRE gets closer and becomes more and more of an imminent reality, I'm finding myself getting more antsy. I'm also finding it difficult to enjoy the here and now, because I've somehow convinced myself that I can't truly be happy until I reach it, and my mind is so occupied with that future state of happiness that I am overlooking the truly good and wonderful things I can find happiness in right now.

I tell myself that when I'm FIRE'd I'll have time to exercise and be healthier. But what's really stopping me from doing that now?

I tell myself when I'm FIRE'd I can read all the books I've been meaning to read, but don't I have access to all those books right now?

I tell myself when I'm FIRE'd I can start all those projects I've always wanted to start, but no one says I can't start them now except myself.

I tell myself when I'm FIRE'd I can spend more time with my family, which is really the whole reason behind all of this, but yet I spend extra time at the office or bringing work home with me, and missing out on all of that now.

All of the things I would want from FIRE, in actuality, I can have today. This makes me think that when I do reach FIRE, I still might somehow invent ways to put off my own happiness.

I wish I found this thread sooner. Sometimes you just need someone to remind you that maybe the greatest obstacle to your happiness isn't the difference between your Net Worth and your FIRE number, but your own mindset.

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
I just dipped under 1300 calendar days today.  1299 to go... it goes up and down though so probably back to 1320 tomorrow. :)

oblivo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
The best way is to figure out how many minutes are left... for 1k work days, 8 hours per, it's just 480,000 minutes to go.
Then get a clock with a second hand and put it above your desk

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »
How did I motivate myself to work the last 1000 days?

The same way I did all the days before.  Because I had to.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2019, 07:25:03 PM »
104 weeks until my MRA (for the Feds out there), so 520 week days, or about 448 work days until I decide whether to OMY it or not. Doesn’t actually sound like that long...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:42:47 AM by frugalecon »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 07:10:03 AM »
I could never cope with a daily count down clock.  Year or two ago I worked out my FI number and savings rate then worked out that I could take one book home from my work book shelf every two months and have a clear shelf when I hit my FI number.  I set up a google calendar notice.  I think it is a nice balance of seeing progress towards a big goal but also not seeing some huge "hours till FI" number and thinking it is going to take forever. 

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »
997 calendar days
142 weeks
682 working days not counting any sick or vacation time

chip chip chipaway

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2019, 01:42:10 PM »
We have a big software release once a year. There are a couple of tasks involved there that I dislike. I am now counting down that this was the last major software release while I am employed. I hoped that last year as well, but we decided to do OMY. Now we will hopefully FIRE for real this winter. I can only say: hang on, your time will come. I survived last year with the disappointment of one more year. And if we cannot sell or home for a decent price, we might need to work even longer. Not sure how I would mentally survive that disappiintment...

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2019, 06:30:22 AM »
Knowing that I'll get to know my workmates better and trade many more jokes and war stories.

Knowing that every day presents an opportunity to become better and stronger at what I do.

Imagining some of the cool new projects I'll get to work on tomorrow, off the back of the work I do today.

Knowing that every dollar I earn and save isn't just that dollar - but that dollar compounded, which my future self will thank my present self for.

Knowing that I am making a tiny contribution to my city, my country, my geographic region, the planet and ultimately the cosmos.

Knowing that at any given time of the year, in the next 12 months or less, I can take 1-2 months off work and enjoy a relaxing and luxurious (by my own standards) holiday.

BuddyXL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2019, 08:06:37 AM »
I haven't had a job I liked since one I had back in the early 90s so I try not to count days.  I just ride them out as long as I can until I find the next better opportunity and go for it.

But most importantly, if you are like me, I don't identify with my job as its just a tool for earning money.  I identify with all the other things I do in my life that I see as rewarding and fun.  If you are less than 1000 days, that quite an accomplishment!  Congrats!

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 03:12:10 PM »
My first day of work at 23, a guy who was about to retire made me a spreadsheet.  You entered your age and how many times you hit the snooze each morning.  It told you how many tens of thousands of times you had to listen to the alarm clock go off.

Bastard.

That might have motivated me to head down this path. 

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
under 85,000,000 seconds

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2019, 04:51:02 AM »

jaysee

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »

Nice one!

I try to have something good to look forward to for each day of the week.

Mon - Favourite TV show
Tue - Therapist then Eating Out
Wed/Thu - Skip gym and sleep in
Fri - Celebrate end of the work week and look forward to the weekend

I like to do this too. Watching documentaries about less fortunate parts of the world or of history makes me feel good, because A) I have it better than them, and B) their fortunes are slowly improving, which makes me optimistic for the world.

I also have little private "talk session" with myself lately (sounds weird, I know) where I express how I feel, how things are going with life, what's challenging, what the goals are, etc.

Nice!

Funny thing - I accidentally moved a fair chunk of money to my credit card rather than my index fund. I found it tricky to get it back out. Then I did some calculations and figured I would reach my financial goal this year even without that chunk. So instead I've decided to label it my "happy fund" and just spend the money and enjoy the fruits of my labour.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
I just refuse to hope for time to pass so I have no countdowns. I know that my student debt will be gone in roughly 3 years,

Huh? What? Bernies going to win?
OK kidding, I realize your going to pay them off.
 I'm a bit uneasy, as I'm paying for my daughters tuition for dental college instead of her getting loans. If I spend all that money and then student loans are forgiven, even if it's only $50k, I'll be one unhappy papa.
 If take out a loan, you should not expect someone else to pay it back.
 Glad to hear you see and end to the loan!

which will be a fun game changer, but I plan to live A LOT of life in those 3 years, so I'm in no rush to see that time disappear.

If I don't like something about my life or job, I change it.
I'm done waiting for anything and I have no patience for being unhappy.

I also have no FIRE goal, so that helps.
I have literally no idea where my career will go because I'm sure I'll just keep changing it as my goals evolve.
[/quote]

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2019, 02:50:32 PM »
Before retirement, I was in a technical repair field, I was always refreshed and ready to go at it again after I attended in training courses. These were usually a week away in another city.
 So if it's possible maybe taking some training will make a few months seem to coast by.
Heck maybe even a night course, that would give something to look forward to at the end of the day.

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
I just keep plugging along. It doesn't matter if my focus is or isn't FI/RE, at this point I still need to work.

A couple weeks ago we pinned it down that we will reach FI in 6 years or less.
6 years = 2,190 days. After subtracting weekends, PTO, and holidays, we need to actually work approximately 1,396 more days before we reach FI.
At that point our current plan is for my wife to retire and I'll find something with good insurance and less stress because I personally don't care about retirement, just being FI.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
I just refuse to hope for time to pass so I have no countdowns. I know that my student debt will be gone in roughly 3 years,

I'm a bit uneasy, as I'm paying for my daughters tuition for dental college instead of her getting loans. If I spend all that money and then student loans are forgiven, even if it's only $50k, I'll be one unhappy papa.

Well...I'm in Canada, so I don't really even know what you are talking about.

If this is a genuine concern, could you not just let her take out the loans, see what happens in a few years, and then pay them off if nothing radical happens with this whole forgiveness thing you are concerned about?

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
I could technically pull the plug now - although have a long notice period to work. It's not quite where I want it to be, though - so I figure another 3 years or so would be good.

I find it very difficult not to consult the Post-FIRE board on a regular basis, or to check the stash total a little too obsessively.

I need help.

First world problem, for sure.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2019, 01:12:01 AM »
I could technically pull the plug now - although have a long notice period to work. It's not quite where I want it to be, though - so I figure another 3 years or so would be good.

I find it very difficult not to consult the Post-FIRE board on a regular basis, or to check the stash total a little too obsessively.

I need help.

What about just putting in One more year and then cutting down to working 50%? If working PT is not granted, then just quit.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2019, 02:54:39 AM »

For me, it's not about being closer to death, necessarily, it's about really enjoying life NOW and not wanting to waste this time that I have.

I really like your philosophy. Reading your piece, I was reminded that "life is what happens while you're making other plans".

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »

I need help.

What about just putting in One more year and then cutting down to working 50%? If working PT is not granted, then just quit.

Good suggestion. I’ve been considering alternative jobs that mean part time is an option. My current role is full-on and doesn’t lend itself to part time at all - and me being me, I always want to do the best I can, so would end up working the same. (Boundary issues?)

In truth the quickest way to achieve full FI is to keep plugging away. I enjoy it most of the time anyway, get paid very well, so maybe I just need a holiday. Who am I kidding!? I think I need to transfer to the ‘difficulty pulling the plug?’ thread...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »

Well...I'm in Canada, so I don't really even know what you are talking about.
A lot of the democratic presidential candidates are talking about removing the burden of having college educated workers paying off their student loans. i.e. making the 51% of the US population that actually pays taxes pay for their debt, many of those without a college education or having already paid them off. You take the loan, it's your responsibility, not mine.
If this is a genuine concern, could you not just let her take out the loans, see what happens in a few years, and then pay them off if nothing radical happens with this whole forgiveness thing you are concerned about?
I have seriously considered it, but it comes down to the same philosophy I have about taking an Obamacare subsidy on my healthcare premium. Why should a millionaire get subsidies from other hardworking tax payers. 
BTW, I got here by age and frugality, my wife's and my average combined income over the last
36 years is under $50k.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
A lot of the democratic presidential candidates are talking about removing the burden of having college educated workers paying off their student loans. i.e. making the 51% of the US population that actually pays taxes pay for their debt, many of those without a college education or having already paid them off. You take the loan, it's your responsibility, not mine.

I mostly agree with you, but you are ignoring the fact is that for the entire 20th century student loan debt was dischargeable in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy which was written into the constitution because the founding fathers remembered the debt prisons of the old world.

The radically leftist policy of just forgiving all the debt is the political pendulum swinging back after the radically right policy that started in the George W Bush administration of not even letting it be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I might not totally agree with the far left politicians, but I certainly see how this happened, and I'd rather have a blanket amnesty than the current state of affairs. Of course what I really want is to just repeal the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention And Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA) of 2005 and go back to how it was when I started college.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »

I mostly agree with you, but you are ignoring the fact is that for the entire 20th century student loan debt was dischargeable in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy which was written into the constitution because the founding fathers remembered the debt prisons of the old world.

And that was when they were private transactions and not a government loan.
Somewhere along the line the government took over student loans. Stupid!

The radically leftist policy of just forgiving all the debt is the political pendulum swinging back after the radically right policy that started in the George W Bush administration of not even letting it be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

I might not totally agree with the far left politicians, but I certainly see how this happened, and I'd rather have a blanket amnesty than the current state of affairs. Of course what I really want is to just repeal the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention And Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA) of 2005 and go back to how it was when I started college.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!