Author Topic: How do you have fun with friends?  (Read 5364 times)

yodelo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do you have fun with friends?
« on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »
I'm struggling to think of ways to spend time with a group of friends (2 or more) that would not cost too much money. Any ideas?

All the fun things that I can think of are more easy to do solo like go on a walk, take pictures of nature, read, play with your children, vlog, do a puzzle, etc.

When I do think of things as a group, it always costs a lot of money, like going traveling, seeing a show or movie, going to an escape room, going to dinner.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: How do you have fun with friends?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
The simplest thing is to get together on the deck and just chat, or walk the dogs/kids around the neighborhood.
Game nights are a big hit.
We like to go out to the state park for hiking.
Get together to watch a sporting event on TV.
Go to the community pool.
Go walk around the mall (whether people shop varies. I don't)
There is a small cost, as we usually bring stuff for smores or BYOB - but fire pits are a bit hit.
Again a small cost, but we do pot luck sushi night (every one brings an ingredient and we all make rolls together.)

We rarely do stuff that costs money, because my group of friends has so many kids (though I don't yet)- anything we can plan while they run around outside or in the basement is a way better plan than anything with a babysitter involved!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:59:30 AM by iowajes »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »
We mainly do Board Game nights.  Total cost is a 6-pack of beer and/or some shared food items.  Could be more expensive if you're buying new games all the time, but I haven't purchased any in a few years.  I've actually sold a few over the past couple months!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:54 AM »
Most things that are done alone can be done with other people. For example: taking walks, doing puzzles, and taking nature photos.

Potluck dinners, clothing swaps, board games, Meetups, art galleries/free museums, exploring the city/town, etc. The world is not-literally your oyster.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
I was also going to suggest card or board game nights with friends.
Another suggestion is for movie nights with a cheap Redbox movie rental or a Netflix movie.
If you have any common interests and are in a big city, check out meetup[dot]com website too for like-minded folks.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:28:15 AM »
When the weather is nice, grillin' and chillin' on my deck is the preferred arrangement. When colder, sitting around a firepit/firepan is about as good as it gets. Both, of course, involve consuming fine libations.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
We like to get together at parks.  We usually all bring something and then we play bocce ball or take naps and chat.  Sometimes I bring magazines like National Geographic Traveler to start conversations. 

Also, for New Orleans, there is a facebook group where people post free events.  Everything from free comedy nights (including dinner and ice cream), to free fencing classes, and even free concerts.  perhaps there is a page for your area.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
The main things I do with my friends that doesn't cost much money are:

- go on bike rides
- have friends over for a beer [at home beer is cheap to drink]
- have friends over for dinner

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »
Beach volleyball is at the top of my list, surfing a close second, mountain biking in third place.

None of these cost a single penny, save for the gas to transport a longboard (if one does not already have a bike surfboard carrier).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
What do you enjoy doing?

Most of my social group is from dance, so that's usually where I see people.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
If I had friends, we'd go backpacking and biking.  Really don't have friends.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
I'm struggling to think of ways to spend time with a group of friends (2 or more) that would not cost too much money. Any ideas?

All the fun things that I can think of are more easy to do solo like go on a walk, take pictures of nature, read, play with your children, vlog, do a puzzle, etc.

When I do think of things as a group, it always costs a lot of money, like going traveling, seeing a show or movie, going to an escape room, going to dinner.

If they are of the opposite sex, you could have a threesome?

47%MMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »

Hahaha, you beat me to the punch! I was going to suggest a key party, it's like a game right? :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:22 PM »

That's not necessarily relevant, fwiw.

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
case of High Life, a table, some chairs, done. (deck of cards or firepit optional)

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
Grill and Chill is the way to go. Redbox movies optional. Or Netflix.

I understand most people don't have consoles, but the old Xbox 360 and Call of Duty from 8 years ago works well with my guy friends.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
Game night BYOB are easiest. Make partaking in food and drinks optional and you are good to go.

Generally the only thing I want to do with friends is have an opportunity to shot the shit. That inherently costs no money. Just don't pick venues that have a mandatory fee.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
How about volunteering together for a cause you support? Habitat for Humanity, animal shelter, beach clean-up, etc. Completely free, and lots more fun with friends.

Also getting together to play video games is fun and pretty cheap (if you already have a console)--classic multiplayer things like Mario Kart and Street Fighter are a hit with my friends.

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
We grill out and let the kids run around the yard in nice weather.  My buddy and I brew beer together, have "garage" beers after work on occasion.  When the grand parents are available to watch the kids, we might go to the local bar and spend $20, nothing crazy expensive.  The pool and park are a block from where we live, so we hit that frequently (daily) during the summer.  The library (not my thing), walks around town, soon to be bike rides (w/ the trailer that the kids can be in), golf (not expensive, our family membership is $400 a year, and I play every Wednesday) is a fun activity, my 3 year old loves coming with me, and the course is typically empty, so I'm not worried about her getting hit or being too loud for someone.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
-Easiest: taking turns going to each other's places for dinner and drinks. Everyone my age has a chromecast now, so watching silly YouTube stuff together.
-Easy: netflix shows, etc
-More involved: I've done canning with groups of friends before, and batch cooking days. I'm planning some candle making soon.
-Most involved: hobby-specific stuff, like autocross and woodworking. Not free/cheap, but since everyone would be doing all of this solo anyway, it's "free" in that the friends aspect doesn't add any cost.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
An outside fire is what we love to do when the season is right. A bonfire is even better in the fall. I've never met a person who doesn't like a fire to poke at or stare into.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
-Book Club.
-Bring your own coffee/tea and meet down in the park in the morning.  (I usually just say I'm going to be there at 9am and whoever wants to join me can.  Then it's easy to arrange and even better if someone else shows up.
-Game night with potluck dinner
-My friends and I pick a show (Downton Abby, etc) and watch together.  If someone can't make it on the night it's showing on live TV, that person makes it up on the webcast.  You can also do this for netflix shows, but we found that meeting the schedule of when it was actually on live TV made us take the commitment more seriously.
-There are a lot of free events in WDC, and we scout out all the free lectures, etc and go to them together.  Tomorrow night, I'll be seeing the Cassini to Saturn Mission at the Air and Space Museum.
-I like the free movies that the Smithsonian puts on too.  So much free stuff in this city.

Dirt Cupcake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

Same. I am the avoidant introvert

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 06:01:05 PM »

I a bit introverted but I really love the company of friends.   I just haven't had really close friends in a long while. 

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
I am blessed with fun neighbors that are terrible at poker, so once a month I actually get paid to hang out, shoot the $hit, and tie one on! 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »
+1 for board games. I have a weekly board game night with friends and make homemade pizza which they bring ingredients for. It's extremely inexpensive and everyone has a lot of fun.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
Motorcycle rides, wakeboarding or skiing, beer and house/car/bike projects which ends up bench racing or shooting the breeze by the end of the day. Cheap, fun, and sometimes productive.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 03:38:32 AM »
Sit an evening around a camp fire. Cook tea or coffee on the fire. Grill sausages. Also bring some booze.
Pick mushrooms in the forest and sort/clean them together afterwards.
Just a walk in the forest, preferably to some interesting point or view point.
Cycling on scenic roads and let everyone suggest interesting roads that the others don't know.
Go fishing, combined with grilling.
Visit a museum.
Go for a camping weekend in the wild or on a campsite.
Go for a run (jog) at chatting speed. If you all don't run yet, you could start run/walk.
Having dinner at your of one of the other's house.
Go for a hike in the mountains including staying over at a cheap mountain cabin, if there is such a thing in your vicinity.

These are all things I like to do with friends.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 03:43:30 AM »

I a bit introverted but I really love the company of friends.   I just haven't had really close friends in a long while.

And even if you have some friends, many are too busy with their own stuff, children or whatever. It is sometimes hard work finding a date to meet with friends. I also tend to join walks from a local hiking club. Those people are not my personal friends, but they are nice to chat with during the walk. Same that we have done running training at leisurely pace with a sports club. One friend tends to be a bit unreliable for weekly training, but having a club means that you're seldom alone at the agreed time.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:27 AM »

And even if you have some friends, many are too busy with their own stuff, children or whatever. It is sometimes hard work finding a date to meet with friends. I also tend to join walks from a local hiking club. Those people are not my personal friends, but they are nice to chat with during the walk. Same that we have done running training at leisurely pace with a sports club. One friend tends to be a bit unreliable for weekly training, but having a club means that you're seldom alone at the agreed time.

I do have hiking friends that I meet with a few times a year.  It really is an issue finding time when schedules line up.  Must be beautiful in Norway.  I've never been to Europe.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »
When I could hike, that was always option #1.

But there's still...
Board games
Having people over for dinner (and they bring some aspect of it -- salad, drinks, etc.)
Meetup groups (I like them for practicing languages)
Museums (ours have free days a few times per month)
Concerts in the park in summer (picnic)
Library events/community events

My favorite thing is going to the theater, which is super expensive, but the above balances things out.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
- Most cities and towns have monthly art walks and author readings.
- Free museum days are also a good option.
- Some communities have plays in the park during the summer.
- Ushering for shows gets you into the show for free. Do this with a friend and you have a fun free night out.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
I am sure others have suggested but having people over for some beers and grilling if the weather is good is a great low cost social option.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »

I do this a lot and now my friends find free things to do and invite me! Tee hee!!!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »

I do this a lot and now my friends find free things to do and invite me! Tee hee!!!

Way to go!  :-)

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
My friends and I take our hawks out and kill squirrels pretty much every day all winter long.

Good exercise for us walking and running through the woods for hours. The dog and hawks and squirrels all get a good workout too.

Also, things everyone else has said: board games, hiking, swimming, cycling, camping, fishing, canoeing, etc.

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
This is something I've thought about too.

At the moment I've met a friend whos hip to the Moustachian ways. We seem to like to eat at this student all day breakfast place where it's only $3.95 for breakfast.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 04:38:27 AM »
- Walks
- Homemade coffee or homemade meal
- Sitting around talking
- Shared interests

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:24 AM »
This weekend is a good example of things I do with friends to have fun. Yesterday, I went to an old ski mountain that has closed down (no ski lift, hence, no cost) - skin-tracked up, skied down. Repeat.

Today, cross-country skiing with some friends and their little one in a sled. Will finish the day with burgers on the barbecue, chatting, perhaps with a beer (all from the grocery store).

Summer, usually will be hiking and/or rock climbing, maybe fishing if someone has a boat or some kayaks - same deal. Finish with dinner together and perhaps a few beers or a bottle of wine.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
A lot of my friends play instruments, so I'm often bringing my guitar and we'll all sing and play.  Fire pit optional, beer not optional.

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
Most of my friends are foodies, acrobats, and/or super cuddly, so we often take turns meeting at each other's houses for food, partner acrobatics (lifting each other in the air), and/or cuddle piles. They're generally mustachian so it works out even though some have much higher incomes than others.

We also go out for acrobatics at parks/gyms, hiking, and exploring museums when it's free.

I'm getting acclimated to board games as so many of my friends play them. Games like Dominion that can be completed in 30 minutes are more enjoyable for me than much longer ones.

Since my wife and I had a newborn 2 weeks ago much of our social time has been friends bringing food, taking turns holding the baby, and just talking. Some of our friends that have young kids of their own have started hanging out with us more. We'll be attempting to get back into partner acrobatics at a friend's parkour studio tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!