Author Topic: How do you handle peer success when you're looking to FIRE?  (Read 13944 times)

WGH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How do you handle peer success when you're looking to FIRE?
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
I would be wary of your feeling that lots of people 'love what they do'. We live at a time where everyone is supposed to be 'passionate' about and 'love' what they do, but the reality is that most jobs in no way justify that passion. Sorry what - you are passionate about writing code which helps advertising companies more effectively target under 7 year olds - or whatever it might be. My wife hates that I am so opinionated about this particular point but I think if most people look deep into themselves they know this, even if we are brilliant at convincing ourselves of the importance of what we do. If you are saving lives as a doctor, perhaps, but most of us are not.

So much this. I actually feel bad quite often that I am not more passionate or driven by work but I just honestly don't care that much. It's a paycheck and a necessity on the road to FIRE. When I talk to my boss about some trivial report or process or procedure documentation it takes genuine effort to show any enthusiasm. Totally agree most of what most of us do just isn't that important. But to share that opinion at work of course is not a good idea.

Also agree on the impostor syndrome had that real bad when I was promoted to a CFO at 35. You suddenly feel like you need to be more than who you are and that all your ideas and work products are somehow no longer any good just because your title changed. At 38 I have realized that there are very, very, very, few people in this world worthy of being put on any type of pedestal. Next time you have an inflated sense of someone's prestige hang out with them while they are drinking. :)

As for peer success. To add another Simpson's quote to this thread:

"No matter how good you are at something there's always about a million people better." Meh good for them.

I do get jealous when I see others leading what appears to be more successful lives but it's fleeting. Except I am very jealous of Cash Warren who stole Jessica Alba away from me!

Hula Hoop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2018, 02:23:58 AM »
The recent tragic death of Anthony Bourdain reminded me that no matter how much someone might seem to have your dream job/life, you just never know what the real story is.  Sad but true. 

IRL I have a friend who appeared to have a dream life running a successful business with her rich husband in a beautiful part of the world and with three kids.  Turns out that the husband was abusive and now she's now a divorced single mom in a completely different career.  Her life looked so perfect on Facebook....

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2018, 04:40:33 AM »
Just made myself chuckle reading your comment WGH. Started reading your quote and thought - I totally agree with that - then realised it was my own comment! The ultimate self-reinforcing feedback loop. At least I still agree with myself....