Author Topic: How do some of you post so often?  (Read 37665 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: How do some of you post so often?
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
Is anyone else getting concerned that Arebelspy has been eaten by a Yeti?

I think he's posting under a new username until he reveals his end game
Maybe he'll come back as some obscure and archaic single symbol for his new handle ALA Prince. like: "$" = The Poster Formerly Known As Arebelspy

In the before time, in the long long ago, there was a user named Air-Uh-Bell-Spee.  He was a moderator of great power, once single-handedly closing a thousand-post thread.  One day, at the very peak of his power, he disappeared, never to be heard from again.  It is said that one day he will return, and that his coming will signal the dawn of a new era... or the end of days.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
Is anyone else getting concerned that Arebelspy has been eaten by a Yeti?

I think he's posting under a new username until he reveals his end game
Maybe he'll come back as some obscure and archaic single symbol for his new handle ALA Prince. like: "$" = The Poster Formerly Known As Arebelspy

In the before time, in the long long ago, there was a user named Air-Uh-Bell-Spee.  He was a moderator of great power, once single-handedly closing a thousand-post thread.  One day, at the very peak of his power, he disappeared, never to be heard from again.  It is said that one day he will return, and that his coming will signal the dawn of a new era... or the end of days.

That's funny. When I first read his username, I was pronouncing it to myself like you spelled it out. It really sounded like Arabesque, which is a ballet position, and the only thing I remember from my short stint in ballet class as a child.

So, combining that with the "spy" part of his name...perhaps he has joined the Russian ballet.

I have another theory, but will split that out on another post to up my post numbers...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
The Arebelspy mystery continues…

So I decided to do a search on 9999 to see if I could solve this mystery. Note that his age is also -999 on the forum so he does seem to have a fascination with the number 9.

First, check out the significance of the number 9999:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9999_(number)

9999 is a Kaprekar number.
9999 can be used as a divisor to generate 4-digit decimal recurrences. For example, 1234 / 9999 = 0.123412341234... .
9999 is an auspicious number in Chinese folklore. Many estimations of the rooms contained the Forbidden City point to 9,999. Chinese tomb contracts often involved being buried with 9999 coins, relational notion to Joss paper, as it was believed the dead would need that amount to buy the burial plot from the Earth goddess.[1]
9999 is also the emergency telephone number in Oman.[2]
9999 was the last possible line number in some older programming languages such as BASIC.[3] Often the line "9999 END" was the first line written for a new program.
The King of Fighters character K9999 has the number on his name, although it is read as "Kay-Four-Nine"

GASP! And it doesn’t end there. We may, indeed, be hitting a similar situation to the Y2K problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

The Year 10,000 problem (also known as the Y10K problem or the deca-millennium bug[1]) is the class of all potential time formatting and storage bugs that would emerge when the need to express years with five digits arises. The problem can have discernible effects today, but is also sometimes mentioned for humorous effect as in RFC 2550.

And then I start getting worried with this:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2005/11/21/the-phone-call-of-death-999-999-9999.htm

"I just got a call from 999-999-9999 on my cell phone... called it back and got my Nextel directory assistance who say they can't call out. I looked it up on Google and there was reference to a Thai movie that had a similar plot to The Ring, except you actually call the number and something horrible happens to you. Any news on this one?"

Yes it was a slow day at work listening in on a bunch of conference calls.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:30:30 PM by Daisy »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Guys I was arebelspy the whole time. I got tired of splitting the posts two thirds there, one third here. Er, but maybe I'll get untired of it again someday.

YMMV, the cheat is a millionaire, stay at the top of the disagreement hierarchy, and buy real estate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
Guys I was arebelspy the whole time. I got tired of splitting the posts two thirds there, one third here. Er, but maybe I'll get untired of it again someday.

YMMV, the cheat is a millionaire, stay at the top of the disagreement hierarchy, and buy real estate.

/shrug

Spartana

« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
Funny Dragoncar (and scary Daisy - of course 999 backwards is....). I think I heard a young Mel Gibson quote those lines in Mad Max/Thunderdome yesterday during my 2 hours of "intellectual TV" watching.

When I first saw his name I thought it was the name of a dreaded disfiguring disease: Arepelepsy. I still say it that way in my head. Of course I'm still hoping he comes back a Boba Fett. Assuming he isn't Yeti dinner by now :-)!

I AM Arebelspy! No I AM A rebelspy! No I AM Arebelspy! Oh wait...I AM Spartanacus! No I AM Spartanacus! No I AM........

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:38 PM »
of course 999 backwards is....

999?

Spartana

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

999?
well I did hear Satan was dyslexic so... yeah, 999 :-)!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »

999?
well I did hear Satan was dyslexic so... yeah, 999 :-)!

Or was Satan standing on his head?

Seriously, this is starting to get scary...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:27:43 PM by Daisy »

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
A 1
R 18
E 5
B 2
E 5
L 12
S 19
P 16
Y 25

Added together = 103.

Square rt 103 - 1.03 = 9.11

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
I personally think he bet that $50k on black and learned 24 hours later he's a gambling addict after betting everything on black.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 02:10:26 PM »
I personally think he bet that $50k on black and learned 24 hours later he's a gambling addict after betting everything on black.

Going deep there.  Maybe he won big and is now setting up to buy only property only around his Beverly Hills compound?

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
A 1
R 18
E 5
B 2
E 5
L 12
S 19
P 16
Y 25

Added together = 103.

Square rt 103 - 1.03 = 9.11

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Best Tin Foil hat shit ever.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »
There's a curious lack of a certain rebel spy in this thread. I don't think a thread has ever gotten this long without him posting.

Clearly he has discovered the secret of posting a lot and just doesn't want to share it with everyone.
arebelspy and jamesqf are having an emergency meeting as we speak...

Is anyone else afraid of the forum breaking down when arebelspy reaches 10k posts (Y2K-style)? 

Since his age is currently -999, he could just go for 9999 posts then just drop the forum cold turkey.  My guess is probably not.  Is there a way to celebrate the guy's 10000th post?  I have no ideas, really.  Was just wondering.

I'm feeling particularly clairvoyant today...   Though his profile shows him active without posting, he'll probably post sometime soon.  Considering most of his lightning-fast posts are well thought out and to the point, I wonder what the 10000th post will be.  I'm calling this ahead of time.  His 10,000th post will be a guest post on the blog!  It only seems fair.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
I suppose it is only fitting that I have had trouble keeping up even with my own thread about my difficulty of keeping up with the forum.

Nords, I suppose you are right that my desire to limit screen time in early retirement is merely wishful thinking and easier said than done.

For those of you genuinely concerned that Rebs has become yeti fodder or succumbed to some other terrible fate, I am happy to report that he made an appearance (alive and well) in the comments section of the Mad Fientist's latest post less than 36 hours ago.  Hope that doesn't spoil the surprise of what I predict will be a Houdini-like return to the forums for his 10,000th post after an extended period of being chained up underwater (or, er, simply absent from the forums).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:08:14 PM by brooklynguy »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »
There's a curious lack of a certain rebel spy in this thread. I don't think a thread has ever gotten this long without him posting.

Clearly he has discovered the secret of posting a lot and just doesn't want to share it with everyone.

Is anyone else afraid of the forum breaking down when arebelspy reaches 10k posts (Y2K-style)? 

Since his age is currently -999, he could just go for 9999 posts then just drop the forum cold turkey.  My guess is probably not.  Is there a way to celebrate the guy's 10000th post?  I have no ideas, really.  Was just wondering.

I'm feeling particularly clairvoyant today...   Though his profile shows him active without posting, he'll probably post sometime soon.  Considering most of his lightning-fast posts are well thought out and to the point, I wonder what the 10000th post will be.  I'm calling this ahead of time.  His 10,000th post will be a guest post on the blog!  It only seems fair.

Been there done that.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »

Been there done that.

So with the buildup to 10,000, then all the talk on this thread, it was hard not to be curious when we might see 10,000. I've purposely not commented on it until now because I just figured it would happen eventually and the man has the right to do as he pleases.

However, today I ran across an old post and noticed he hit the 10,000 mark. I thought, oh great, I need to go find this epic 10,000th post to see what wisdom it holds. I scoured the "unread posts" and nothing, so I clicked his profile and noticed he still hasn't posted in 2 weeks.

So somehow the 10,000 post appears to be an administrative glich with zero fanfare. Not sure what happened there, but for some reason I feel a little deflated. 2 weeks of anticipation, then no climax. What a tease.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
I wonder if mod editing counts as "posting?"

MOD EDIT: Nope.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:58:25 PM by arebelspy »

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
He has attained a higher plane of forum existence.  His posts are no longer visible to us mere mortals.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
If he has run out of available posts on his account, maybe he should go Spanish for a while.

ElEspiaRebelde

Perhaps he has taken a sabbatical after reaching his short term goal? I just hope he hasn't FIRE'd us. That would be sad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:33:39 PM by Daisy »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
Guys actually arebelspy's 10,000 post was a video monologue, he must have posted in a new thread here on MMM then taken it down; but it got saved to youtube before being deleted.

arebelspy's 10,000 post 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2014, 01:39:57 PM »
Guys actually arebelspy's 10,000 post was a video monologue, he must have posted in a new thread here on MMM then taken it down; but it got saved to youtube before being deleted.

arebelspy's 10,000 post 

I knew he looked familiar! That was great...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »

arebelspy's 10,000 post 
Wow, that was pretty incredible.

Spartana

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

arebelspy's 10,000 post 
Ha Ha   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »

Been there done that.

So with the buildup to 10,000, then all the talk on this thread, it was hard not to be curious when we might see 10,000. I've purposely not commented on it until now because I just figured it would happen eventually and the man has the right to do as he pleases.

However, today I ran across an old post and noticed he hit the 10,000 mark. I thought, oh great, I need to go find this epic 10,000th post to see what wisdom it holds. I scoured the "unread posts" and nothing, so I clicked his profile and noticed he still hasn't posted in 2 weeks.

So somehow the 10,000 post appears to be an administrative glich with zero fanfare. Not sure what happened there, but for some reason I feel a little deflated. 2 weeks of anticipation, then no climax. What a tease.

Still showing 9999 for me.  Anyways he probably realized he spends too much time online.

At this point, communication is probably best done via ouiji board and seance.  calling the ghost of arebelspy: if you are present, show us a sign

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
Still showing 9999 for me.  Anyways he probably realized he spends too much time online.

At this point, communication is probably best done via ouiji board and seance.  calling the ghost of arebelspy: if you are present, show us a sign

Well I'll be damned! It shows 9999 for me now as well. I swear I'm not making it up, it was 10,000 for a while there.

/ shrug

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
It said 10,000 for me too.  Dragoncar, your call was answered.  He is now communicating with us from the beyond.  See the mod edit to post # 119 above.

Spartana

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
It said 10,000 for me too.  Dragoncar, your call was answered.  He is now communicating with us from the beyond.  See the mod edit to post # 119 above.
Perhaps he's holed up here:

From Wookiepedia (I kid you not):

"The forest provided cover for the Rebel teams, but it also hid Ghost Base from those who wished to find it.

Ghost Base was a Rebel Alliance base operated by A Rebel Spy."

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Wonder what's happened to him.

MOD EDIT: I AM HERE TO GRANT YOU THE WHOLE KINGDOM OF MUSTACHELAND, SENECANDO. *FLIES AWAY BEAUTIFULLY*
« Last Edit: Today at 01:58:25 PM by arebelspy »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:56 PM »
I wonder if mod editing counts as "posting?"

MOD EDIT: Nope.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
Then all joking aside it's a post in the mod section of the forum. :)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
Wonder what's happened to him.

MOD EDIT: I AM HERE TO GRANT YOU THE WHOLE KINGDOM OF MUSTACHELAND, SENECANDO. *FLIES AWAY BEAUTIFULLY*
« Last Edit: Today at 01:58:25 PM by arebelspy »

He is vacillating on the edges of the space-time continuum in this new altered state he has entered. Notice above that his mod-edit occurred BEFORE the posting did. 1:58:25 PM vs. 02:53:27 PM

Is there any way to rescue him?

Maybe someone should post a case study clearly violating the 1% real estate rule to lure him out. Something so obvious, that it could repel the forces keeping him stuck in this continuum and force him to respond.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
This reminds me of that famous New Yorker cartoon.  The one with the caption:

"On the internet, nobody knows you're an incorporeal omnipresent forum moderator."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:30:05 PM by brooklynguy »

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
Maybe someone should post a case study clearly violating the 1% real estate rule to lure him out. Something so obvious, that it could repel the forces keeping him stuck in this continuum and force him to respond.

So I came up with the idea for this post:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/let's-settle-this-with-a-vote-invest-or-payoff-debts/

Then after I posted it I had the brief thought "if anything will bring Rebs out of hiding it's this, he's always arguing to invest rather than payoff debts" but alas, nothing.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »

arebelspy's 10,000 post 

That was good. Maybe even very good. But this will always be the pinnacle of the Rick Roll.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »
Sweet jesus he's back, people.  People, he's back!  You heard it here first.*

*Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:22:54 PM by dragoncar »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Thanks for the bump on this thread, dragoncar!

I did check in over the last three or four weeks (mostly for mod stuff - huge thanks to the other mods; they're awesome), and this thread cracked me up.  This community is the best.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2014, 05:59:43 AM »
I thought I sensed a disturbance in the force. Welcome back rebs.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
Welcome back, unespiarebelde. I had a new list of theories on your disappearance, but I guess they will have to wait for the 20,000 mark. Any guesses out there on when he will reach it?

I hope you had a nice vacation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:28:40 PM by Daisy »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »
Welcome back, anespiarebelde. I had a new list of theories on your disappearance, but I guess they will have to wait for the 20,000 mark. Any guesses out there on when he will reach it?

Dibs on 14 February 2017.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2014, 05:52:52 AM »
I have overwhelmed another website, similar to this one at one time, with thousands of my opinion posts over the years. My job there is done. :) Time to grace MMM with my  wisdom.  :) :)
I agree, except for me it's more like I have overwhelmed everyone in real life who will listen with thousands of my opinion tangents over the years.

We need a "Tao of Grant" thread. Oops, I just posted again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!