Author Topic: How do people make $100+ salary?  (Read 117031 times)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How do people make $100+ salary?
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »

My most standards the east coast is definitely much more image conscious.  It's a combination of vanity and insecurity, in my experience.  People who lack self confidence in their own abilities will try to compensate by putting on a costume to trick people into thinking they are more competent than they really. 

Agreed, very much this.  We call them monkey suits.  I'm very weary working with any professional that appears to be trying too hard with his/her appearance.  In my field people won't even work with you if you are over dressed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:52:17 PM by dustinst22 »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »

Frankly, the failure to dress for the occasion is mind blowing.

Interesting, I find it mind blowing to find those who focus more on what they wear than on performance.

In my experience, the real high end pros in most fields don't care about appearances.  It's usually the wannabes that do.

Most fields, yes.  There are exceptions (court rooms, for example).

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »

Frankly, the failure to dress for the occasion is mind blowing.

Interesting, I find it mind blowing to find those who focus more on what they wear than on performance.

In my experience, the real high end pros in most fields don't care about appearances.  It's usually the wannabes that do.

Most fields, yes.  There are exceptions (court rooms, for example).
Indeed, lawyering still requires suits.

imolina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Canadian expat
« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
You should not overlook the value of “looking the part.”  Sometimes the advice on here to cut your own hair or touch up your roots makes me laugh. I did some of that when I was younger and it is not going to work in Boston or New York.

That's one reason I enjoy CA, none of that matters.  All that matters is what you can do.  My old boss, who is worth north of 100 M dresses like your average person on the street.  It's very difficult to tell what people are worth or earn here based on appearance/clothes.  Even attorneys and bankers don't wear suits here.  I guess it's an East Coast/West Coast thing.

It's the same for Arizona, I wear jeans to work every day. But I do admit that it depends greatly on your field. Engineers are usually skeptical of anyone in a suit

I live in the UAE which is extremely hot for most of the year. I work for a government oil company and everyone has to wear professional clothes, men have to wear ties. No leggings, jeans or sweat pants allowed. Local people (Emiraties) have to wear their traditional dress, kandora (white robe) for men, and abaya for woman (black robe). Women put on a lot make up and wear expensive shoes along with expensive bags. Everything here is about appearances. My 2008 Honda CRV is looking too old next to their BMWs, Mercedes, even some guys have Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
I sold my soul to the devil(current/forever employer) at the ripe ole age of 22.  In return I made over 100k my first year with out a college degree.  Most people would say my schedule sucks, but hey I make it work.  Last month I managed to only work 13 days and for the past year the most days I've worked in a whole month was 16.  So I kind of laugh to myself when people around me claim they'd never be able to put up with my schedule as they drive to work 5 days a week.  No thanks

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
I have several friends who are all worth several million and I can't think of one that dresses like people think they would. My one friend owned a high profile racecar and when we would see him on tv we would always comment on his shoes because he wore the same worn out pair of tennis shoes for atleast 3-4 years. I went to a viewing tonight of our one older friend.... most everyone there was loaded and I was the only one dressed up at all (that's because that's the way I was raised). I'm usually in an old t-shirt and jeans like they were. I think maybe the people who think you need to dress the part either aren't there yet or have some type of problem deep down where they need to look the part. Same with cars & houses. Maybe they are there money-wise but not maturity-wise.

magickelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
$200K++ in tech, specifically leadership in the UX/product mgmt space. Wear whatever I want, usually nice(r) leggings and a sweater or cardigan except when I know I have to meet with a senior exec. and then I might wear nicer pants and a better pair of shoes. I would never be caught dead looking like I'm in banking or law, I'd kill myself. I am on the east coast.

Keys for me:
- Lucky that UX/product types are in as high demand and nearly as high paying as software engineering
- Willingness to quickly move into and move up management to make big bucks even if I don't like it
- Fell into a blue chip at the right time in 2008 and have made out like a bandit in stock in big bull run

I also never made much money - never more than $50K/year - until I was 35 and finally landed in just the right field, at just the right company at just the right age for it all to come together to make hay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:43:08 PM by lkell »

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
That's it? That's the secret?

No they are all having you on, for only $29.99 I will mail you my book about the actual secret, and if you subscribe for another $59.99 I will make you a gazillionaire.

Seriously though, it is as straightforward as what you are being told, it will take a few years of diligent effort regardless, whether in school or on the job.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2018, 12:39:09 AM »
You can dress like a slob but overcome appearances with hard work and brains. You can act and sound like fool and try to hide behind a suit. But if you are sharp, well organized and sharp looking in your environment (whether that means a suit or a crisply pressed jump suit), you will feel and do better.

I work for a megacorp where the neckties faded out around the time I was hired. Things went downhill from there and I see quasi-grunge outfits these days which frankly look ridiculous. My last four bosses included one who wore hiking boots and lumberjack shirts, another in sports team jerseys, a lady attorney who stepped from the pages of Vogue and the current one who wears a different $3000 suit with tie and cuff links five days per week. The underdressers were underperformers and the last two really, really have their act together. Mr Suit is an incredible executive who is also perfectionist who, for example, won’t drink from a plastic water bottle or cup at work, or allow a single stray paper on his desk. He is the smartest and hardest working boss I have had. He outdresses most people he meets. He also outworks and outthinks them. He definitely outspends them!

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:50 AM »
Yes I was on the Microsoft campus for a Toastmasters meeting and one of the upper executives was wearing a ratty T-shirt and holey jeans. I am sure he made a lot of money back in the  90s. He looked 25. Must have compensated by being super smart. But you don’t have to be him to make a lot of money. But you do need to look like you care enough about yourself to project a certain image. For me it was a total turnoff.

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2018, 04:50:31 AM »
And he must have known that day he would be interacting with the insurance people down the street. He obviously did not care.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:05 AM »
Become a licensed HVAC technician. Today my Hub got a postcard from a local HVAC company soliciting for employees. Hub is licensed in CT with an S1 HVAC license. All kinds of bennies, vacation, 401k, cell phone and most employees make $100K a year.

Oh, I forgot, and a $5,000 sign on bonus! This is the second offer from two different companies in just 3 months time. Both offered sign on bonus and $100K a year plus bennies.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2018, 06:00:58 AM »
$100k is basically $50/hr.  Many skills can bill that and more (plumbers, electricians, etc).  Of course you can't be set up in some employment situation where you have a boss keeping half, though thats usually the best way to get some experience and a steady paycheck until you pull it off.

Nursing is one of those few things that seems to have high pay and flexibility of where you live and low risk steady paycheck working for an employer that makes enough to get rich while also paying you well (the medical field).

A good salesman's upside is only limited to their actual ability at what they do as long as they are wiling to move around to find the job that is smart enough to appreciate and compensate their ability.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2018, 08:44:28 AM »
You can dress like a slob but overcome appearances with hard work and brains. You can act and sound like fool and try to hide behind a suit. But if you are sharp, well organized and sharp looking in your environment (whether that means a suit or a crisply pressed jump suit), you will feel and do better.

I agree that environment counts, but in technical fields a suit is usually frowned upon.  They pay me to do math.  Neckties clearly interfere with mathematical abilities.

At some jobs, the image IS the job.  A lawyer is representing, so how they look absolutely matters.  I understand the need for a particular costume for lawyers, and police officers, and real estate agents.  If being visible IS your job, then you should absolutely dress for it.  Even I dress up to look the part of the expert on days when I'm on tv or when I stand on a stage and talk to the public, but otherwise my jobs is to think hard, give good advice, and not be seen.  Tshirts are fine for that.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
You should not overlook the value of “looking the part.”  Sometimes the advice on here to cut your own hair or touch up your roots makes me laugh. I did some of that when I was younger and it is not going to work in Boston or New York.

That's one reason I enjoy CA, none of that matters.  All that matters is what you can do.  My old boss, who is worth north of 100 M dresses like your average person on the street.  It's very difficult to tell what people are worth or earn here based on appearance/clothes.  Even attorneys and bankers don't wear suits here.  I guess it's an East Coast/West Coast thing.

It's the same for Arizona, I wear jeans to work every day. But I do admit that it depends greatly on your field. Engineers are usually skeptical of anyone in a suit

I live in the UAE which is extremely hot for most of the year. I work for a government oil company and everyone has to wear professional clothes, men have to wear ties. No leggings, jeans or sweat pants allowed. Local people (Emiraties) have to wear their traditional dress, kandora (white robe) for men, and abaya for woman (black robe). Women put on a lot make up and wear expensive shoes along with expensive bags. Everything here is about appearances. My 2008 Honda CRV is looking too old next to their BMWs, Mercedes, even some guys have Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

The guy at the Doha, Qatar airport who checks visas and passports drives a Ferrari.  We were informed that the Emirati troops guarding our compound outside of Dubai made more money than our colonel.  Alongside the lesson in local economics, it was also a warning not to confuse our professional/social status in the US with what we could expect to accomplish in the Gulf.  We had Thanksgiving dinner with a group of American families in Kuwait who do 6-12 month tours working the oilfields.  These were already 6-figure managers who nearly doubled their salaries doing this rotation.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »
You should not overlook the value of “looking the part.”  Sometimes the advice on here to cut your own hair or touch up your roots makes me laugh. I did some of that when I was younger and it is not going to work in Boston or New York. You are also not going to get away with thrift store clothes. You don’t have to have a lot but they need to be quality. I buy suits from Banana Republic and can often get on great sales. Trendy cuts and 100 percent wool with stretch. Sign up for their e-mails. They also have talls and petites. I changed my hair once and the first thing jealous boss asked me was whether I was after her job!

I'm in the office at my $200k+ job right now. :D

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
Luck and being friendly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2018, 10:27:39 AM »
Even attorneys and bankers don't wear suits here.  I guess it's an East Coast/West Coast thing.

By most standards the east coast is definitely much more image conscious.  It's a combination of vanity and insecurity, in my experience.  People who lack self confidence in their own abilities will try to compensate by putting on a costume to trick people into thinking they are more competent than they really are. 

The west coast is less quick to judge people based on costumes, perhaps because they have their own sort of well recognized fake image problem.  Dyed hair and a fake tan are just the west coast version of a suit and tie, and they're driven by the same desire to put up a certain image.  The difference is that the west coast desired image is sort of youthful and relaxed, and the east coast desired image is all wrapped up in undeserved self importance.
I'm not really sure if it's vanity/ insecurity, but more "this is how it's always been".

When I lived in DC, the requirement was to dress nice at work.  I was in the military but worked at one of the few places where we did not wear uniforms.  So, at my office men were required to wear ties and slacks, and women whatever the equivalent was.  I started in skirts and dresses but by year 5 was down to dress pants and blouses.  Men complained about the ties.  Whatever.  Within a few years of leaving, they went more casual, no ties.  That was the 1990s, who knows where they are now.  Many people we interacted with were military and they were in uniform.  So, in DC "everyone" dressed like that.

In California, my first job was way  more casual (manufacturing) - jeans and t-shirts, even sweats, because who sees what you are wearing in a bunny suit anyway?  Now 20 years later it's even more casual - shorts and flip flops if you aren't in the fab.  Of course, weather plays a role.  It's nice year round here, where in DC, wearing a suit would keep you warm right now.

I hate shopping, so recently I found myself wearing my nice dress slacks from 5-10 years ago.  Relatively timeless, though the flare at the ankle changes a lot for women, and I don't much care.  My current jeans were either too big or wearing out. Funny the looks you get in engineering when you start wearing slacks.  "Where's the interview?"  I've now moved "up" the chain a bit, so it doesn't hurt to dress a little nicer when the board members are in town.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
This discussion is reminding me of: http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences5/suit

Ryland

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Hidden Green
« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
There's really only 4 assets in the financial space:

1. Paper assets (stock market)
2. Real estate
3. Business
4. Employment

All of those have income limitations except for one: Business. Business is the one category where the financial upside is unlimited.

And a business works because you solve another person/business problem who is willing and able to pay. Here's a great article on how to find a profitable business idea: https://growthlab.com/my-checklist-for-finding-a-profitable-business-idea/

Another great place to learn about turning up the income side of FI is at Brennan Dunn's Double Your Freelancing free course. It's unbelievably valuable. www.doubleyourfreelancing.com

PM me if you want to talk more about your situation and where you're trying to go.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
Thought of you all today when I read that hamburger shop managers make $160,000 per year on average with no diploma required.  Could be a good retirement side hustle if you have the energy. I believe there may be a dress code in case that is an issue for you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/in-n-out-employee-pay-2018-1

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
All the dress code discussion makes me smile....I work from home, normally in my pajamas.
Working from home worth a lot of money in my opinion.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
All the dress code discussion makes me smile....I work from home, normally in my pajamas.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
There's really only 4 assets in the financial space:

1. Paper assets (stock market)
2. Real estate
3. Business
4. Employment

All of those have income limitations except for one: Business. Business is the one category where the financial upside is unlimited.

And a business works because you solve another person/business problem who is willing and able to pay. Here's a great article on how to find a profitable business idea: https://growthlab.com/my-checklist-for-finding-a-profitable-business-idea/

Another great place to learn about turning up the income side of FI is at Brennan Dunn's Double Your Freelancing free course. It's unbelievably valuable. www.doubleyourfreelancing.com

PM me if you want to talk more about your situation and where you're trying to go.

You forgot number 5, spamming.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »

You forgot number 5, spamming.

Haha, post of the day.  Thank you for that.

fmzip

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2018, 07:14:12 AM »
Sales....

I am in the minority I am sure. High School grad, started my own manufacturer rep firm 21 years ago with a partner.

It's a good gig but it certainly doesn't bring income in quickly. Typically as a rep, you are on commission for everything you sell. I am in tech, selling services for printed circuit board assembly, commission is 3.5%.  Other services like metal fabrication, cable assemblies etc, commission is higher 5-7%.

So developing a few lines, you can make a very nice living. Sales is the easiest way to earn a nice living without having to take on a mountain of student loans.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2018, 07:17:26 AM »
Admittedly did not read the 6 pages before me but I work a job where most wouldn't expect 6 figures. Just crossed the 6 figure mark after 10 years of being a police officer. The 5 years before were all hovering around 90K. I do have a Master's Degree, but that only influences pay a bit. Someone could make the same in my department with just two years of undergrad. And it's a sweet/fun job, so that's cool.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »
Admittedly did not read the 6 pages before me but I work a job where most wouldn't expect 6 figures. Just crossed the 6 figure mark after 10 years of being a police officer. The 5 years before were all hovering around 90K. I do have a Master's Degree, but that only influences pay a bit. Someone could make the same in my department with just two years of undergrad. And it's a sweet/fun job, so that's cool.

In the NYC suburbs, police commonly make six figures. That’s a job that depends heavily on geography to determine salaries.

toganet

• Stubble
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:12 AM »
I work in Tech in a medium COL area, and find that salaries here top out around $150k, aside from upper management -- which I wouldn't consider 'Tech' based on the businesses here.  Seeing what folks in SV & elsewhere are making makes me question sticking around vs. relocating.

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »
You should not overlook the value of “looking the part.”  Sometimes the advice on here to cut your own hair or touch up your roots makes me laugh. I did some of that when I was younger and it is not going to work in Boston or New York. You are also not going to get away with thrift store clothes. You don’t have to have a lot but they need to be quality. I buy suits from Banana Republic and can often get on great sales. Trendy cuts and 100 percent wool with stretch. Sign up for their e-mails. They also have talls and petites. I changed my hair once and the first thing jealous boss asked me was whether I was after her job!

At least it is not ratty :)

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »

At least it is not ratty :)

I just got that shirt, it hasn't had a chance to get ratty yet. :)

Some people in my office look like homeless people TBH, they're taking west coast casual a little too far.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »
Sales profession has made me over 100k most of the last 20 years.  I am thankful I did not adopt the flashy lifestyle to go with it, and invested instead.  :)

money_longer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Instagram
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
After 4 years in the Air Force I found out my same job paid over 6 figures as a civilian. I was lucky that I had a lot of friends who were already out and working for companies that were hiring.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2018, 11:06:31 PM »
How about how NOT to make $100,000 a year..... worry about or have the goal of making minimum wage.

MindfulMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:04 AM »
Union job with excellent benefits plus OT can easily get you there.

Also a City Government job with years of service can get you a high salary either just below $100K or more. Plus you may also still get a pension and lots of other great perks such as 12 paid sick days a year and low health care costs.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:16 AM »
In California, my first job was way  more casual (manufacturing) - jeans and t-shirts, even sweats, because who sees what you are wearing in a bunny suit anyway?  Now 20 years later it's even more casual - shorts and flip flops if you aren't in the fab. 

When I started working in a fab (early 90s), us engineers still had to wear shirt & tie underneath the cleanroom suits. Was pretty much gone by the mid 90s though.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2018, 09:14:04 AM »
In California, my first job was way  more casual (manufacturing) - jeans and t-shirts, even sweats, because who sees what you are wearing in a bunny suit anyway?  Now 20 years later it's even more casual - shorts and flip flops if you aren't in the fab. 

When I started working in a fab (early 90s), us engineers still had to wear shirt & tie underneath the cleanroom suits. Was pretty much gone by the mid 90s though.
Looks like I just made it!  First fab job 1997.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
Academia could work,
I'm guessing that the most abundant 100k job in the country is something boring like "manager" or "supervisor" and is therefore largely independent of industry choice.  Go to work for a large corporation.  Work hard, be dependable, slowly climb the corporate ladder, graduate from doing the work to supervising the people who do the work, and bam you're there. 

Any pharma sales reps in this thread...?  I feel like you have to certain kind of personality (and perhaps age/look) for that type of job for sure. 

Totally agree. And I am one of them. Nevertheless, some industries pay better than the other.

Ditto both points. I'd put tech on the list of industries that pay well

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »

That's fabulous! Is the beer tasty?
(wfh but actually got dressed today, jeans and a nice sweater)

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2018, 09:12:07 PM »

That's fabulous! Is the beer tasty?
(wfh but actually got dressed today, jeans and a nice sweater)

Really good beer. Most of the craft IPAs in the PacNW are pretty high alcohol, like 8.5-9%. The work from home stuff is 4.2%, perfect for working on bikes. New drivetrain and new brakes. Damn, I guess that technically means I *WAS* working from home instead of slacking. :(

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »
Wait! You're saying that "being a police officer" is "a sweet/fun job"? Care to elaborate?

Edited to fix wonky quoting.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:57:11 PM by Dicey »

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:47 AM »
Jaguar can reply with his thoughts, but a good friend of mine just switched careers at 40 and is now highway patrol. He *LOVES* his new job compared to his former career which he described as soul crushing. He patrols an area by himself. No boss looking over his shoulder. While he does pull over and write tickets it's generally just speeders. He responds to accidents more than anything else (mountain ski town) and that of course is a situation where you're there to bring order to chaos and help out on what is someone's worst day in a while. His wife and kid are proud of him. He's got a job for life and great bennies. Obviously results might vary if you were a cop in Compton or something. :D

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Perhaps you didn't realize, but you completely contradicted yourself in two adjacent posts:

Agreed, very much this.  We call them monkey suits.  I'm very weary working with any professional that appears to be trying too hard with his/her appearance.  In my field people won't even work with you if you are over dressed.

Appearance does matter. But it's not a single appearance (ie a suit) - it's wearing what is appropriate for the work location and local culture.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
Jaguar can reply with his thoughts, but a good friend of mine just switched careers at 40 and is now highway patrol. He *LOVES* his new job compared to his former career which he described as soul crushing. He patrols an area by himself. No boss looking over his shoulder. While he does pull over and write tickets it's generally just speeders. He responds to accidents more than anything else (mountain ski town) and that of course is a situation where you're there to bring order to chaos and help out on what is someone's worst day in a while. His wife and kid are proud of him. He's got a job for life and great bennies. Obviously results might vary if you were a cop in Compton or something. :D

Highway patrol is much different than being a police officer. My husband was an officer and he responded to calls of suicide, children being abused etc.  Many days involved him performing a welfare check only to find the person deceased for several days. The final straw was him responding to a 911 call at his parents home and finding his father passed away on the kitchen floor.  Obviously not everyone (hopefully no one) will be in that situation, but "sweet/fun" is the last thing I would characterize the job as. Also, it's almost impossible to get in without certain qualifications, at least the area that OP is in.

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Replying to a few different people so I won't quote anyone in particular.

First I'll start with whoever was talking about officers that make around 100K in the NYC suburbs..The price of living in the northeast is obviously crazy and it is fairly obvious that the 100K goes a lot further down here in LCOL Texas.

On the sweet/fun part: The job is awesome! In 10 years I have worked Patrol, Gangs, and now Human Trafficking. I get paid what I consider way too much to investigate crimes and put really bad people in jail for decades. I get to use intelligence, people skills, acting and outside of the box thinking plus I do not have anyone micromanaging me, which is a plus. Add in the fact that I get 4 weeks of vacation time that I have to use every year, plus another 6 weeks of vacation time that if I don't use keep accruing and it's super sweet. Add in that at 25 years on the job (I'll be 47), I get paid 55% of my salary for the rest of my life and then I just feel spoiled.

I am very lucky in that I sincerely enjoy my job. At the end of a 2 week vacation, or even a weekend, I'm still excited to head to work. That being said, I can't wait until retirement.

GU

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
In response to the OP:

Take out student loans and work in finance/tech/law/consulting/medicine in a HCOL city, and voilà, you're making six figures.  This is a pretty stupid thing to do IMO, but it's an almost surefire route to +$100k if you're fairly intelligent and hard working.

Personally, I went to law school, took out huge loans to do so, and make a lot more than $100k while living in a HCOL city.  It is easily the worst decision of my life.  Prior to law school, I was debt-free and living a Mustachian life before MMM (the blog at least) existed.  I was saving +50% of take-home pay on a $35k salary fresh out of college. Had a 401(k) but wasn't maxing it out admittedly. Now I'm a debt slave who has to work long hours at a stressful but boring job.  And some odd circumstances have caused my student loans to balloon out of "reasonable amount to pay off" territory. 

My friend who got kicked out of law school after his first year is in *way* better financial shape than me, LOL. He had a rough go for a few years, then found a sales job and is killing it.  He has a rental property and an AirBnb property along with $150k - $250k salary for about 30 hours of work per week, nearly all of it from home. 

The point?  Find a way to make "+$100k" that doesn't involve trading time for money.  That's a sucker's game, especially if your personality is the type that draws you to Mustachianism.  I know a few people who truly live to work and relish spending 60+ hours a week in the office, but few people can maintain that for very long, and really, why would you want to? Start a business, buy assets, learn sales, etc.

BioLawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »
The point?  Find a way to make "+$100k" that doesn't involve trading time for money.  That's a sucker's game, especially if your personality is the type that draws you to Mustachianism.  I know a few people who truly live to work and relish spending 60+ hours a week in the office, but few people can maintain that for very long, and really, why would you want to? Start a business, buy assets, learn sales, etc.

It’s definitely a trade off. Started at $100k+ in a mid-sized firm in a LCOL suburban town several years ago. Should be at $200k+ in a few more years. Didn’t have much debt out of law school, so I’ve been able to build my equity. Even though I generally enjoy the work, a 2000 billable hour requirement is a drag. No way around it working at a typical firm. In-house would be a bit more palatable, but income would definitely drop.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
In response to the OP:

Take out student loans and work in finance/tech/law/consulting/medicine in a HCOL city, and voilà, you're making six figures.  This is a pretty stupid thing to do IMO, but it's an almost surefire route to +$100k if you're fairly intelligent and hard working.

Personally, I went to law school, took out huge loans to do so, and make a lot more than $100k while living in a HCOL city.  It is easily the worst decision of my life.  Prior to law school, I was debt-free and living a Mustachian life before MMM (the blog at least) existed.  I was saving +50% of take-home pay on a $35k salary fresh out of college. Had a 401(k) but wasn't maxing it out admittedly. Now I'm a debt slave who has to work long hours at a stressful but boring job.  And some odd circumstances have caused my student loans to balloon out of "reasonable amount to pay off" territory. 

My friend who got kicked out of law school after his first year is in *way* better financial shape than me, LOL. He had a rough go for a few years, then found a sales job and is killing it.  He has a rental property and an AirBnb property along with $150k - $250k salary for about 30 hours of work per week, nearly all of it from home. 

A lot of people that do things like law school do so because starting a business isn't really in the cards for them (of course, people who don't end up getting firm jobs find out the hard way that they're suddenly starting a business after all).  The "start your own business!" thing is sometimes hard for me to swallow--I cannot fathom trying to have my own business, I have no ideas whatsoever for what such a business would be, etc.  I'll continue hacking away at my firm job for lack of any real alternatives and save some money for the inevitable day where that's no longer an option.  Not a great plan, I realize, but eh.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
Replying to a few different people so I won't quote anyone in particular.

First I'll start with whoever was talking about officers that make around 100K in the NYC suburbs..The price of living in the northeast is obviously crazy and it is fairly obvious that the 100K goes a lot further down here in LCOL Texas.

On the sweet/fun part: The job is awesome! In 10 years I have worked Patrol, Gangs, and now Human Trafficking. I get paid what I consider way too much to investigate crimes and put really bad people in jail for decades. I get to use intelligence, people skills, acting and outside of the box thinking plus I do not have anyone micromanaging me, which is a plus. Add in the fact that I get 4 weeks of vacation time that I have to use every year, plus another 6 weeks of vacation time that if I don't use keep accruing and it's super sweet. Add in that at 25 years on the job (I'll be 47), I get paid 55% of my salary for the rest of my life and then I just feel spoiled.

I'm sure you work hard and also in a dangerous profession, thank you.

But if anyone wonders why goverments are broke, just look at this.
He get's paid a high wage for working an 80% schedule, 10 paid weeks (off).
 He didn't say, but gov jobs usually have a great health insurance plan.
And then to support him with 55% of his salary for what could easily be 35 years probably
with health insurance, when he has paid nothing into it, is just legislators giving away
other peoples money, Taxpayers money.
/rant is over/

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
I joined the Navy at 19 and entered the nuclear power program.  At 25, I got out and got a job as a nuclear equipment operator (non-control room operator at a power plant).  At 28, I broke 100k for the first time and never looked back.  That was 20 years ago.  Now, I make 200k per year and live in a LCOL area.  If I applied myself, I could double that but I don't work all that hard and have a lot of other interests.  I am planning to retire in a year or two.

FWIW, I have two degrees but got them later in life for my own purposes, they have no impact on my salary.