Author Topic: Homemade Xmas gifts - what are you making for folk???  (Read 9043 times)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
Re: Homemade Xmas gifts - what are you making for folk???
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2020, 06:01:04 PM »

That's a super-sweet use of your grandma's legacy, @hudsoncat .  Did she teach you  to crochet? And now you're  passing it along! Also love the  rocking  horse. You guys  are a great auntie and uncle combo.

My grandma was actually a knitter. I just picked up crochet much easier than knitting. Interestingly her mom (my great grandma) preferred crochet as well, so I actually have all her old hooks.

The nieces and nephew are excited to try crocheting. I foresee a lot of tangled yarn in my future. hahahaha!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »
Not exactly homemade, but we like to do a Christmas photo book/year-in-review from one of the online stores like Shutterfly.  Takes a lot of work to put it together, but the recipients like it (since we have kids), and with the normal deals you can find it ends up pretty cheap per person.  This year, I'd like to expand it out to siblings, rather than just parents.  I tried to convince my brothers to give up mutual presents entirely, but they weren't very interested.  I think this is a good compromise...and that it lasts a lot longer than whatever stupid gifts we tend to come up with. 

TrMama

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »
I'm sewing one of my kids 2 pairs of overalls. She's into baggy overalls, but apparently they're not really in fashion ATM because I could only find one pair ready made in her size.

I'd actually rather just buy them. By the time I paid for the pattern, fabric and other notions it'll end up being about the same price anyway.

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
I wanted to give everyone just-add-water pancake mix in fun flavors (like cranberry-walnut), but so far I haven't had much success with recipe development. I'll give it a few more tries, and think about basing it on a boxed mix if I have to.

Last year I made cookie dough that could be frozen and baked once the Christmas cookies ran out. Some people really liked that, but I can't ship it.

My inlaws are trying to reduce clutter and requested experience gifts for their kids. They're going to have some suggestions, but I'm also thinking about what I can do as a surprise. Maybe kid-accessible baking like mug brownies or cookies? I'd like to do "go on a day trip with your uncle" coupons, but some of them are pretty young and I wouldn't want to mess up the family schedule or have sibling jealousy due to short memories.

Edit: thought of a toddler gift that won't create long term clutter: coloring page postcards! I found a site with a lot of free coloring pages I could print onto blank index cards, and print the postcard lines on the back: http://www.supercoloring.com/
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:16:18 PM by firstmatedavy »

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2020, 09:23:50 PM »
I've done mug cookie ingredients in a jar before, with a little ribbon and card giving instructions. Cute idea and easy to scale up, but mine ended up getting really sticky and difficult to get out of the jar. Maybe needed more airtight jars?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:52:27 PM by Tass »

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
I make cookies and babka for my neighbors.  My close friends get together and we all do a soup exchange for the holidays (which is awesome- I basically don't have to cook on Sundays for like, 2 months!).

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2020, 01:30:59 PM »
I make cookies and babka for my neighbors.  My close friends get together and we all do a soup exchange for the holidays (which is awesome- I basically don't have to cook on Sundays for like, 2 months!).

Do you freeze these soups?
I'm headed back to work after a year long sabbatical, and there are 4 days every 2 weeks where we will rely on pre-cooked freezer meals.... I"m keeping my eyes open for recipes!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:35 PM »
I'm buying more gifts this year than I usually like to do, but between not seeing people in person (mailing gifts i.e. nothing perishable) and being unusually busy this year, this it what we've got.

1. Jams and Jellies - already made apricot jam and peach butter, planning to make at least one of cranapple butter/grapefruit marmalade/lemon curd
2. Candied Ginger - Was a hit last year, will make again
3. Necklace - similar to last year, I sounded out recipient to make sure it's something they'll want
4. Custom Wood-handled knives (by DH) for 3 people - as last year
5. Flannel PJ Pants - 2-6 pair depending on time/fabric
6. Earrings for 1 person

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2020, 01:49:00 AM »
I’m thinking of making Christmas cookie boxes for friends.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »
 I just wanted to encourage everybody by saying that I would be happy to get pretty well anything on this list, especially jam and a cajon.

We might go with premixed "exotic" spice blends with a recipe attached (gotta make sure the recipe is something super easy, or else we're just giving people work for Christmas!).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
I'm learning to crochet, so likely a scarf. I'm about 1/2 done. If not, I found a cute wine cork ornament I might make instead

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
I am planning to make lasercut jigsaw puzzles from photographs ... if I can get the photos enlarged and delivered in time (not a lot of luck so far ...).

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
My dad is getting socks. Decidedly unmustacian! $30 for the wool not including the time investment of spinning and knitting. But it is a project I will enjoy and he will use and appreciate the socks.

Other people probably get chocolate dipped pretzels. They are easy to make and always go over well. I may do lemon curd as well for a few lucky folks.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2020, 01:54:06 PM »
So many excellent ideas! I may have to steal a few. Didn't plan ahead well, and I'm committed to other things thru early Dec. But if I can swing it, I'll crochet little stuffed animals for 1-4 people on my gift list. They've been perennially popular in my family.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
All these ideas are inspiring! I think it's too late for me to make homemade gifts this year, but are any of you making gifts for children? I'm thinking of some small gifts for friends' children locally and for my nieces and other friends' kids long distance (international). Ages are 2 to 13. I think I'll need to order things, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong with some brilliant ideas. Homemade books--maybe with a fold-out board game? Origami? Something digital like website or a PDF to print and put together like a personalised story or game?

steevven1

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
Wife just wrote a whole article dedicated to this question (with a very Mustachian vibe).

Vegan cookie recipe included, too :-)

https://www.tripofalifestyle.com/money/diy-christmas-gifts/

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
I've been asked to make a wall-mount bottle opener with magnets to catch the bottle caps. Also making some shadow boxes to display some collections.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
All these ideas are inspiring! I think it's too late for me to make homemade gifts this year, but are any of you making gifts for children? I'm thinking of some small gifts for friends' children locally and for my nieces and other friends' kids long distance (international). Ages are 2 to 13. I think I'll need to order things, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong with some brilliant ideas. Homemade books--maybe with a fold-out board game? Origami? Something digital like website or a PDF to print and put together like a personalised story or game?

I like some of these ideas! I have made gifts for children in the past (and this year too), but all my ideas are a bit more labor intensive -

*I bought blank hardcover books last year, and wrote and illustrated a story for one of my nephews.
*This year, I'm making purses for my friend's two girls. (Woven outer, fabric lining, zipper and strap.)
*My partner's niece has a dollhouse, and I crocheted her two tiny rugs. I guess this one didn't take too long!

Outside the exclusive kid realm, my partner and I did make some gnome / tomte ornaments, which didn't take long. Big wooden nose, some tea-soaked stuffing to make the beard, and I knit a hat. I think we might be making more this year, but we keep adding new projects to our list, so something's gonna give.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
I'm knitting a few beanies/hats and some dishcloths.  We don't have many gifts to give, having spent years working to reduce gifting among the extended family.  We do one big Heifer International donation and that is the "gift" for most of the adults.  At this point I buy gifts for every niece or nephew until they graduate from high school (I only have two left in this age range).  I knit a handmade beanie for my dad each year (and this year will also make something for his new wife).  Because of Covid restrictions we plan to send flowers to my deceased FIL's second and third wives -- usually we see them between Christmas and New Year and I give a handmade edible gift, but we won't be seeing them this year and flowers seem easier.  Yes, flowers can be viewed as a waste of money, but a lot of older people don't want gifts that clutter up their downsized homes.  Our goal is for them to know we're thinking of them.  I've given up responsibility for MIL, BIL, and SIL on DH's side of the family -- he gets to manage that.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for my immediate family though.  Last year I knit a cool Zelda beanie for my youngest, sewed a Dodgers pillowcase for my oldest, and made peanut brittle for DH.  I'm thinking of knitting beanies using Dodger blue and white yarns, and then sewing on World Series patches I buy (I can also learn how to embroider the patches with my machine "in the hoop" by buying an embroidery file, but I think that may put too much pressure on me).

This won't be an entirely handmade Christmas, however.  We plan to buy some practical gifts for our kids, probably clothing since they are responsible for buying their own clothing now, unless it's gifted.  Maybe a video game each of them is interested in.  We know gifts can't make up for not seeing family, but they can help us through this unusual Christmas.  Christmas is a holiday we have never opted out of -- on our first married Christmas we had to get to another state by Christmas evening, and we still had a breakfast celebration with extended family that morning before driving 8 hours to be at a rehearsal dinner for a wedding (wedding was on the 26th).  More than once we have left before dawn on the 26th of December in order to travel (that week is a good week to gather family for memorial celebrations), and still the 24th and 25th were chockfull of family holiday gatherings.  We figure having a few things to open will lessen the sting of missing family.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »
I may change my mind on this, but I'm now downloading the Kindle Kids' Book Creator. My nieces have the kids' version of Kindle Fire, and it would be cool if I could make a little book dedicated to them and have it appear on their devices. We live in different countries, and they've never been able to visit my town. And of course I can't go home this year. Meanwhile, I've taken a ton of photos of my town and the animals and scenes around here...

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »
I may change my mind on this, but I'm now downloading the Kindle Kids' Book Creator. My nieces have the kids' version of Kindle Fire, and it would be cool if I could make a little book dedicated to them and have it appear on their devices. We live in different countries, and they've never been able to visit my town. And of course I can't go home this year. Meanwhile, I've taken a ton of photos of my town and the animals and scenes around here...

This sounds like a really cool gift!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2020, 02:03:09 AM »
I may change my mind on this, but I'm now downloading the Kindle Kids' Book Creator.

This sounds like a really cool gift!

Thank you for the encouragement! I've now exported a mobi file of the rough draft and sent it to my mother to preview. The program is a bit fussy to use, but I was pleasantly surprised that it can actually produce an eBook that is usable as is, without actually adding it to Amazon to sell. Because mine is all photos, the file is 25mb, which seems too big, but on the whole, it doesn't seem too bad. I might experiment with making a PDF first and importing it, rather than composing inside the book creator. Here's the link to the program: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1002979921

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Hey, people who have made candied ginger: is a mandolin slicer necessary?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2020, 02:40:02 PM »
"Santa Run" to family out of town was done before I had anything made (figured I'd at least do some consumables, not much else this year), so I didn't even do that.

This thread did remind me I'm working on a project for my dad though...  My parents do not need much in the way of physical gifts, and last year's gift was a killer (a huge quilt that took me a couple years to make).  So, in addition to the homemade pie crust mixes I usually make for my dad, I've been creating a travel journal of sorts from my 5 week European trip I did in 2015.  I'm gathering photos, links to stuff I talk about, etc, using emails and postcards I sent as a way to journal the trip (every other trip has only been journaled by writing each day's events on postcards and mailing them home, but for this trip I had a chromebook with me so would type stuff up while on long train and bus rides).

Anyway, I have it mostly prepared, but I need to do a few more touchups, mainly inserting photos where they belong.  After that, I'll turn it into a PDF so it looks nice, and put it on a thumbdrive since it will be too large a file to email.  Huh, guess I'd better pick up a cheap thumbdrive...

This is right up my dad's alley, and I think he'd love it.  (He is a writer himself, mostly ramblings of memories and whatnot, but he's published a book as well.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:41:51 PM by sparkytheop »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2020, 02:40:50 PM »

Nah. Mandolins just make very nice thin even slices easily.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »

Nah. Mandolins just make very nice thin even slices easily.

Agreed, I've made candied ginger several times and don't have a mandolin.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
Just thought of more to add to my dad's PDF gift...  Scans of all the postcards (front and back) I mailed to myself.  I'd better get back to work!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »
So many good ideas in this thread!

So far I have knitted three scarves, one each in the favorite colors of Eldest son and his partner, and a fox scarf for DW.

DW and I refinished the blade and handle of a fixed blade knife that used to belong to my dad. We are gifting it to younger son.

DW 3D printed some build your own rocket kits for our niece and nephew. Sanded them down and got them prepped so they are ready to paint once assembled.

DW also made my mom's gift, a laser etched pint glass set with bigfoot on it (an inside joke, we always exchange bigfoot items with my mom). For mom's boyfriend, DW illustrated a cool pub sign for the new bar he built this summer. I matted and framed it with thrift store frames and matboard.

It's a really low cost holiday this year, I even managed to get stocking stuffers everyone will appreciate from a summer of trolling my local buy nothing group (and I decluttered a lot of our cast-offs back to the group).  Even the yarn for two of the scarves came fro the BN group!

TrMama

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
I'm sewing one of my kids 2 pairs of overalls. She's into baggy overalls, but apparently they're not really in fashion ATM because I could only find one pair ready made in her size.

I'd actually rather just buy them. By the time I paid for the pattern, fabric and other notions it'll end up being about the same price anyway.

OK, coming back to my grumpy post to say that the overalls turned out pretty great. One pair in particular is pretty fabulous and I'm excited to see her face when she opens them. She wanted a frog patch on them, which I had trouble finding. So I stitched a frog graphic into the back pockets instead. It's freaking adorable.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
My wife has become a crochet expert, so she crocheted sweaters, hats, and scarves for all our relatives. She just finished making a crocheted cable knit wool Irish fisherman sweater for me. The time and effort and love that goes into these gifts is just incredible.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
My wife has become a crochet expert, so she crocheted sweaters, hats, and scarves for all our relatives. She just finished making a crocheted cable knit wool Irish fisherman sweater for me. The time and effort and love that goes into these gifts is just incredible.

Before I learned to crochet at all, I got the yarn and pattern for my mom to crochet a Ninja Turtle hat for my niece (Michelangelo, since that was my brother's favorite).  I did the eyes for my part, lol.  I have to say the hat turned out awesome, and I really need to start doing patterns like that! (Either crochet or knitting, since I've since learned to do both).

My mom gifts knitted socks.  She taught me to knit just so I could knit some myself.  One sock takes me around 16 hours-- stuff like this is absolutely a labor of love.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »
I made ginger liqueur. It's super good - probably tied with apricot liqueur for my favorite liqueur I've made. Here's the recipe I used:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/diy-ginger-liqueur-make-your-own-canton.html

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2020, 09:22:49 PM »
I'm making my 4 year old a pirate eye patch to go with his pirate hat, and some felt carrots for his stuffed bunny.  He dresses it in his sister's clothes, feeds it breakfast, put bandages on it when it gets hurt, gives it time outs and naps...  I think the carrots are going to be a big hit.

I just love this entire post so much.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2020, 03:36:31 PM »
Ooo!  Posting to follow. The only handmade gift I have planned this year is sewing a fuzzy robe for one of my sons (by request). Too busy to consider doing more than that, but if I had the time I'd do tins of Christmas cookies and cardamom bread Christmas trees again.

Oh, I forgot... I'm also planning to paint a plain wood Advent calendar that I bought many years ago.  I originally bought two and painted one with milk paint, and wrote in gilt numbers and gilded the knobs. It came out beautiful.  I'm going to do one in midnight blue with golden stars and angels with trumpets for my niece.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:39:25 PM by Poundwise »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2020, 04:35:05 PM »
We've had a lot of sun the past month, so I have a ton of jalapenos. I think my husband will make pickled jalapenos tomorrow, and I'm making a second batch of cardamom bread tonight. The first batch was so good that my teenager ate an entire loaf last weekend.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
My parents and a few others are getting cookies from me this year.  Even some decorated ones, which I hate doing, but my daughter had fun with making them. 

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2020, 02:27:32 AM »
covered bridge Christmas ornament

off topic question: I'm curious and didn't find the answer online: what is the background/meaning of these covered bridges? (google gives plenty of pictures so I do have an idea what it looks like)

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2020, 08:04:43 AM »
I'm not really sure what you are asking.

If you mean "why did they cover bridges?"  It is my understanding that they did so to make them last longer as the majority of the bridge was protected from the elements.

If you mean "why a covered bridge ornament?"  We saw one in a museum gift shop for an incredible amount of money and I said "I can make one just as good as that."

FYI, attached is a photo of the ornament I made ...

Cheers,
Wayne.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2020, 08:08:35 AM »
@DoingMe That's a really nice looking ornament!

I'm making orange pomanders as gifts for my neighbors - oranges studded all over with cloves. It gives me something to do during long Zoom meetings.

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:07 AM »
wow, that's neat woodwork!
Sorry for the confusion: I was wondering about the background concerning christmas?
(Where I live, we don't have covered bridges and it's not a christmas tradition/sign either.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
@DoingMe - amazing job! That is beautiful

I made pickled jalapenos yesterday & loomed a hat for my husband. First try at both! The jalapenos were WAY too spicy on the first round. I'm guessing because they were end of the season? I drained the first batch of brine, soaked for 30 minutes in cool water, and made a new brine. Perfect! They lost a tiny bit of crunch due to adding back to the second warm brine, but they are now edible, which  is a win. Really happy to have found a use for the jalapenos. We grew hundreds & they were my most prolific garden item this year & we struggled to use them all up.

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Most of the work was done in a vector graphics program.  The laser cutter at my makerspace did all the "heavy lifting." :-)

I'm sorry, I don't know of a link between Christmas and covered bridges.  Perhaps it is just an iconic, "old-timey" image, like lighthouses.

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2020, 06:58:12 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Most of the work was done in a vector graphics program.  The laser cutter at my makerspace did all the "heavy lifting." :-)

I'm sorry, I don't know of a link between Christmas and covered bridges.  Perhaps it is just an iconic, "old-timey" image, like lighthouses.

Thanks for the try of an explanation! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!