Author Topic: Help with Seattle AirBNB hosting  (Read 2201 times)

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Help with Seattle AirBNB hosting
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »
Hello faithful Mustachians.

My family and I will be traveling to Europe for 3 months and we are investigating AirBNB while we're gone. Any recommendations on a management company that could handle the duties while we're gone? We're in Seattle.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
Re: Help with Seattle AirBNB hosting
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
Posting to follow.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:44:02 AM »
You could try reaching out to this blogger: https://www.thefrugalgene.com/. She's in Seattle and has a little AirBNB rental business.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
OP -

Seattle has tight restrictions on AirBnB rentals due to the zero vacancy rate on reasonably-priced (if there is such a thing in Seattle) rental housing.

You might also be required to get a license of some sort.

If I were in your shoes, I would want to have everything above board and legal so nothing would go wrong while I was gone.  For example, neighbors could report any non-compliant activity which could be a nightmare to deal with while you are gone.

Best of luck!

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but Mrs HF and I are renting a BnB on Vashon Island near Seatlle June 25-28.  If any MMM's live on Vashon or know of cool things to do on the island, let us know.
We are live in Tucson so just being somewhere in June with temps below 100 is pretty exciting!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 04:39:53 PM »
Seattle has tight restrictions on AirBnB rentals due to the zero vacancy rate on reasonably-priced (if there is such a thing in Seattle) rental housing.

If I were in your shoes, I would want to have everything above board and legal so nothing would go wrong while I was gone.  For example, neighbors could report any non-compliant activity which could be a nightmare to deal with while you are gone.

This page has a list of the new legal requirements. They don't seem too onerous for renting out your own home, especially if it's before 2019 when new taxes come into play.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »

This page has a list of the new legal requirements. They don't seem too onerous for renting out your own home, especially if it's before 2019 when new taxes come into play.

The OP isn't talking about renting out their own home, they are talking about hiring a professional to rent out their home.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
I don't read anything on there that makes the distinction based on whether the homeowner hires outside help or not, I read it as just a question of whether the home being rented is your residence or not. But I'm not a lawyer and haven't really looked into it beyond a pretty cursory level.