Author Topic: Hedging EUR/USD if your home currency is EUR  (Read 2278 times)

wire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hedging EUR/USD if your home currency is EUR
« on: May 28, 2017, 06:48:01 AM »
Uncle Harry recommended to also have some fun money to play with in the markets. Please don't judge me for it!

My home currency is the euro and I wonder what's your best recommendation to have an easy option to hedge it in USD, with low fees. For example, I have 1000 euros (or 100,000) now, now it's worth about 1120 dollars (or 112,000). I want this exposure to be in USD rather than in EUR expecting currency fluctuations (Trump tax reforms), in whichever way the market goes.

You don't necessarily have to try this at home.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream

Sonos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hedging EUR/USD if your home currency is EUR
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Wow, we are 46% funded if we rent out our basement apartment. I've never calculated this percentage before, we are waaaay closer than I thought.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Hedging EUR/USD if your home currency is EUR
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »
Are you wanting to buy foreign *currency* or foreign *companies* (stocks)?

Buying foreign currency is... not, I mean, in the case of your home currency being the Euro which is one of the most widely used ones, just not worth it. I've never seen anything recommending holding bonds in a country that you do not live in, for developed nations (Greece? Sure, but that's about it).

If you want stock, just buy a Euro-denominated US index fund. Try vanguard; they have funds in many currencies.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!