Author Topic: Gross income and tax compared between countries  (Read 2263 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Gross income and tax compared between countries
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »
This graph, showing how much people in different OECD countries earn, gross and net, compared to taxes, is really interesting: https://howmuch.net/articles/money-people-take-home-after-taxes

I don't think they include all types of taxes, like property tax, sales tax, toll roads, etc. And it would be nice to see calculations for what you get for the money, like adding expenses if you have to pay for childcare or medical care. But still, interesting statistics.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Gross income and tax compared between countries
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »
I don't think they include all types of taxes, like property tax, sales tax, toll roads, etc. And it would be nice to see calculations for what you get for the money, like adding expenses if you have to pay for childcare or medical care. But still, interesting statistics.
Yeah, that kind of infographic is cool, but not particularly useful, because of those issues you raise.  Don't forget state income taxes as well.  We pay twice as much in state property, sales, and income taxes as we do for Federal income and FICA taxes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:47:29 AM »
Yeah, that kind of infographic is cool, but not particularly useful, because of those issues you raise.  Don't forget state income taxes as well.  We pay twice as much in state property, sales, and income taxes as we do for Federal income and FICA taxes.

That varies by state. I pay a much larger percentage of income on federal income tax and FICA than I do on state income and property tax, and our flat state sales tax of 6% doesn’t apply to unprepared foods (i.e.  non-ready to eat food groceries).

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
Its very interesting how similar the tax percentages are across the different nations except for a few outliers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!