Author Topic: Got a new job  (Read 4736 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Got a new job
« on: October 22, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
14 months ago the company I worked at was purchased and it was a whole shit show.  I posted in the "epic FU money stories" thread:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/epic-fu-money-stories/1750/

It turns out they were lying and have yet to give out bonuses or raises after 14 months.   I did get an out of cycle raise because it was written into my offer letter, but I was told to keep it on the down low because no one else in the office has gotten a raise.  I got an initial $13k bump with my revised offer letter, and then a $6k raise about 8 months later.  I get the feeling from corporate that they are resentful they've had to give me so much in raises, even though the $19k was just enough to make up the lack of bonus and ridiculous health care costs, so I was actually taking home about the same as before the purchase (for the 8 months before the raise I was actually taking home less).

The "unlimited vacation" schtick is a total scam.  It's unlimited in the sense that it's not a tangible number and they don't have to track it and keep it as a liability on the books, but it's very much limited and I've actually been able to take less vacation in the last year that did before the acquisition (where I had 4 weeks with the previous company).  It's unlimited as long as you get your work done, but also here is an unmanageable and perpetually huge work load.  Everyone is a number in a spread sheet and corporate doesn't give a fuck about you or your personal life, it's all about the numbers in the sheet and making that number grow ever bigger.  Seems like taking the long view would be beneficial, but they are ridiculously short sighted about everything, which leads to experienced people leaving (I am #4 out of 13 to leave since the acquisition, and there are several more right behind me).

So I updated my resume and put myself out there, and started to get contacted by a lot of recruiters.  I accepted a position in the environmental department with a $14k raise and 3 weeks of vacation (benefits are better as well).  When I put in my resignation all of a sudden corporate got very generous and was able to match my current offer, but by that point I had already been through the interview rigmarole, the negotiation, accepted the offer, and done the physical and drug test, and back ground check, discussed the idea with my wife and several close friends, and mentally prepped myself for the move.  I obviously didn't accept their counter offer, if anything it pissed me off that they were only willing to pay my market rate after I'd resigned and not at any other point in the past year even though everyone has been telling them they are running this company like bullshit.  When I got the first offer from them (14 months ago) they tried to convince me that was fair market rate for my education and work experience, and yet 14 months later they are practically begging me to stay with a counter offer that is $33k higher.  What a wild ride in 14 months to increase my value to the company like that!

My commute is changing from 6 miles to 10 miles each way, and this commute won't be bike friendly which is a bummer.  I'm really going to miss my bike commute.   

I'm excited to be starting a new position, but also terrified at the same time.  I've been at my current company for 12 years now.  I've never really failed at anything, but I am nervous I won't do well (even though I have a ton of experience in this field and have proven myself dozens of times over), or that I won't like the job at all and it will totally suck.  My last day of work is wednesday, and I start the new job on Monday.  My stomach has been in knots for the last month.  I know I should be happy that I'm moving up, and the response from everyone about the news has been a universal "that's great! that's great for your career! this is such a good move for you!" (with the exception of my immediate managers, where I got the impression they were bad mouthing the move in an attempt to convince me to stay). 

Bruinguy

• Stubble
Re: Got a new job
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
Congrats!  Sounds like an all around win for you FrugalNacho!

I think your emotions on the change are normal.  Just don't forget that you are good enough, you are smart enough, and doggone it, people like you.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:32:03 PM »
Congratulations!

I can't offer anything more then my heartfelt wishes that you have a great long weekend!

UK Dancer

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »
Congratulations! I've been hoping for this ever since I saw your post in Epic FU stories!

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
Congrats on the new job!

I had a similar situation happen to me when moving to a different company.  I was working for megacorp, and it was annual raise time, and they offered me a whopping 1.1%, I expressed my displeasure, but they assured me that was all they could do.  Then about 3 weeks later I get an offer from a job I wanted, that was like a 30% pay increase, about an extra $15K/year, and when I advised them I was leaving, they offered to "see what they could do" and suddenly they could offer me about 8K per year more, mere weeks later!  I told them to shove it, nicely of course.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:33:34 PM »
Congratulations!

As for the terror, all you can do is give the new job your absolute best and work your behind off.  If it takes more than that to succeed then success in this role wasn't within your reach, anyway. 

Please update us in the future!

damyst

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 01:07:26 AM »
Congratulations, and please come back and update us a few weeks into the new job.

I'm curious if you'll feel like I did after I left my previous employer. I had been heavily emotionally invested in that company, and probably stayed longer than I should have (although nowhere near as long as you did!)
Cutting the cord there was an excellent decision on many levels, but these days I feel more like a mercenary than a team member. Zero emotional attachment. If someone offered me a superior opportunity (in terms of the overall package, not just top-line pay), I would not hesitate much. It's a distinctly different feeling coming into the office in the morning.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 02:53:11 AM »
Congrats!
Don't be afraid to fail. You will be a newbie in your new job and people won't expect you to be good at everything immediately. Just do your best to learn stuff as fast as you can. You might surprise them at how fast you can be productive. Try to start doing the tasks that you think you can handle.

Good for you to work at a company that pays better. Getting paid better in counter offer only is a sign that they are generally under market value. And this unlimited vacation thing sounds pretty vulnerable. My previous employer had something similar with flexible time. Our hour registration was removed, but we could still take some hours off if we had deserved it. Well, that is a lot harder to prove, if you don't register your hours. So everybody put in too many hours just in case, to compensate for any discussions.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 05:15:47 AM »
You're going to slay the new job. Sounds like you were do for a job change anyway. Even the best of situations at work can get stale after awhile. Good luck!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »

It turns out they were lying and have yet to give out bonuses or raises after 14 months...   

When I put in my resignation all of a sudden corporate got very generous and was able to match my current offer...  When I got the first offer from them (14 months ago) they tried to convince me that was fair market rate for my education and work experience, and yet 14 months later they are practically begging me to stay with a counter offer that is $33k higher. 

The lawyer in the Stephen Avery case has a great line... something like:  I know when I find one lie, I'm going to find a whole lot more.

Ain't it the truth?

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »
Congrats!  The best part of FU money is being able to call them out on their lies!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:41:12 PM »
Don't worry about the new job.

I went into my current job as a contractor back in 2010. I had 20 years experience and felt like I was starting from scratch. I remember talking to the hiring manager after I'd been there six weeks or so, and he asked me how it was going. I told him that I felt like I was wasting his money, as I still hadn't learned enough about the system to more than the simplest of code changes. He said every person who started there said the same thing, and that it would take at least a year to feel comfortable with how it worked. He was right, and I really didn't worry about it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
I'm excited to be starting a new position, but also terrified at the same time.  I've been at my current company for 12 years now.  I've never really failed at anything, but I am nervous I won't do well (even though I have a ton of experience in this field and have proven myself dozens of times over), or that I won't like the job at all and it will totally suck.  My last day of work is wednesday, and I start the new job on Monday.  My stomach has been in knots for the last month.  I know I should be happy that I'm moving up, and the response from everyone about the news has been a universal "that's great! that's great for your career! this is such a good move for you!" (with the exception of my immediate managers, where I got the impression they were bad mouthing the move in an attempt to convince me to stay). 

Congrats!  How short sighted of your current company.

You'll do great.  I understand that it's scary.  Change is scary and nerve-wracking.  I know this.  I've been at the same place for a decade. I should totally leave.  Even staying here, I've had many different positions.

The current position is one I do NOT like, dealing with all sorts of painful things.  I'm definitely learning new skills - that's the silver lining I suppose.   Change is good - it gets you out of your comfort zone and causes you to learn and grow.  Different jobs and companies have different vibes and policies.  You'll learn so much!

TLDR - change is hard.  I hate it.  But it's good for me (you)

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
Congrats! You will do just fine. I recently started at a company that makes 3 Billion in revenue, instead of withering away in academia. What can I say. It is fun. There was nothing to be mad about since I started, and it feels like time is flying instead of bore-out when I am there.

So enjoy your new experience, live is good :-)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
So far so good.  The people seem nice.  I don't think I'm in over my head like I thought before; I'll do just fine.  Still not completely comfortable with it, but my anxiety has already gone down a lot.

I just got my first paycheck, and I thought it was a bit odd how they calculated the pay.  They do paychecks every 2 weeks, and each pay period runs from a sunday to a saturday.  I assumed since I was salaried and I worked one full week, that I would receive half of my fornightly income.  They apparently calculate it on a per day basis, so I got paid for all days after my start date, which means I got paid for 6/14 days (Mon-Sat).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
Way to go, frugalnacho!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 06:36:43 AM »
In 2011, I changed jobs for a big pay raise and dragged my new wife 600 miles to Mississippi along with me. For the first month, I was so nervous that my mouth was dry all the time and I could barely swallow without a drink of water. I've never been so well-hydrated in my life. I've changed jobs twice more since then, each time for a nice raise and each time a little closer to our families. It gets easier each time. Congrats on making the change! Every move we've made so far has been a good one, and I hope the same for you.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:29 AM »
Congrats, FN!  Sounds like you made a good decision!

It also underscores the importance of making good financial decisions.  If you weren't frugal, you'd be scared for your job and wouldn't be able to take advantage of opportunities.  Having money in the bank certainly makes difficult career moves easier, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:46:54 AM by AccidentalMiser »

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
Very nice!

I'm starting a new job as well next week. 17% pay bump, better bonus potential, better 401k benefit (4% instead of 3% and immediate 100% vesting), and 100% telecommute. I told my boss and his boss for months that I was severely underpaid. Apparently, they were in constant talks with corporate to get a pay bump for me, but corporate HR apparently thought they knew better.

I'm also #4 out of 11 or 12 leaving within the pasts year on just my team. The whole engineering division seems to be running a 33% turnover right now. I hope for the people I'm leaving behind sake that corporate gets ahead of more people leaving and starts handing out off-cycle pay raises.

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »
I just got my first paycheck, and I thought it was a bit odd how they calculated the pay.  They do paychecks every 2 weeks, and each pay period runs from a sunday to a saturday.  I assumed since I was salaried and I worked one full week, that I would receive half of my fornightly income.  They apparently calculate it on a per day basis, so I got paid for all days after my start date, which means I got paid for 6/14 days (Mon-Sat).

File this knowledge away for the future. When you eventually quit, if your last day is a Friday, you'll lose another day's worth of pay. But if you make your last day a Monday, you'll be paid for an extra day.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
Congrats! You did the right thing. A previous employer played that game with me too once upon a time. I put in my notice and all of a sudden they want to sweeten the tea.

Best of all if this employer is a dud, you can get it together and chase another better situation b/c you have FU money and a good awareness of all things long term.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!