Author Topic: Give me your best ideas for <= $50 white elephant gift!  (Read 3053 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Give me your best ideas for <= $50 white elephant gift!
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »
Goal is to be funny or functional. Not a total waste of money unless it's really funny.

Any great suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:01:38 PM by FrugalSaver »

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: Give me your best ideas for <= $50 white elephant gift!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »
Somewhere around here or reddit or something I saw the idea of a roll of toilet paper with lottery tickets folded up inside. A printed out amazon gift certificate might be better to avoid the whole gambling thing Since an actual giftcard wouldn't fit). Looks like the worst gift at the party until someone figures it out.

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »
This might be cheap and tacky...but hey I’ve just described my family! Lol what I’m doing this year is compiling the gift cards that I’ve accumulated during the year, and creating a mystery gift card envelope. After the stealing is done, the winner can open the note that says how much each one is worth. I’m at around $25 in assorted cards, I’ve got one target, one cvs, and one barns and noble.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:23:19 AM »
Get a box with a lid on it. Tape a gift certificate to the lid so when they take it off they dont see it. Then inside the box put some bricks or something heaving and in separate pieces so the person unwraps each useless thing. In most cases the person will get upset, look mad , curious and then after they make some spoiled kid comment like "Well you were suppose to get something" then tell them to look under the lid. Then you will see embarrassment.  It truly is hilarious human nature in receiving gifts.

MJseast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 10:51:52 AM »
If you live in a state where cannabis is legal, you can get a really nice 1/8th for less than $50. When someone gifts cannabis at a white elephant, it's always the "hit" of the party :P

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »
These are usually half price at WalMart after the holiday so you'll pay maybe $2 for the box:

https://prankpack.com/ I like the napsack myself! Cracks me up!

Pick any of the hysterically funny boxes and put a gift card inside. Funny and practical.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
a bottle of wine or booze is always a hit at the white elephant parties I've been attending...

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »
Maybe skip it? I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge, it's just that spending any amount of money on a gift that deliberately is something the recipient doesn't want sounds rather anti-Mustachian. (This is assuming we're talking about the same definition of "White Elephant".)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
I always think already opened liquor provides the appropriate amount of funny while still being a good gift.

Old American girl doll has about that value.

5 dvds grabbed off your shelf.

$50 is a really high limit. I'd sit out. I don't want $50 of junk.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
Maybe skip it? I don't mean to sound like a Scrooge, it's just that spending any amount of money on a gift that deliberately is something the recipient doesn't want sounds rather anti-Mustachian. (This is assuming we're talking about the same definition of "White Elephant".)

I think "white elephant" has different meanings in different family/friend groups.

In my family, we've decided on "something you already own and no longer want/need, but someone else probably does." So it's good, useful stuff you just don't want anymore. Sometimes it's never been used.

On my husband's side of the family, however, they give crap for white elephant gifts. Like a half-used roll of toilet paper. Or a half-eaten box or cereal that expired a year ago. True garbage.

Part of the fun of the white elephant gift exchange is the "stealing" of the desirable gifts. So to me, the gifts have to be desirable for the game to be fun.

marshmallowaddict

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
lottery tickets placed inside some gawdy transgender blow up doll

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:57:47 PM by Erica »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »
lottery tickets placed inside some gawdy transgender blow up doll

What makes a blow up doll transgender?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!