Author Topic: Getting into a serious relationship after reaching FI by yourself  (Read 21906 times)

skp

• Stubble
Re: Getting into a serious relationship after reaching FI by yourself
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
Too many judgmental comments who have a very blinded and biased view on marriage who can't possibly perceive life and decisions different from their own.  Gerardo, don't take those comments to heart as they simply can't fathom anything different from their own world or experiences.

On every finance forum I have ever participated when someone brings up alternate views of marriage and how finances should be held, they get heated and often times locked because it leads to too much animosity. It is like arguing which religion is better.

What is the value of posing a relationship question if you’re not willing to hear opposing views?

I am in an untraditional marriage. I certainly believe that people can make just about any arrangement work. Do I think this untraditional arrangement will work? No, not at this point in time at least. There are too many unknowns, the relationship is still so new, the people involved don’t (seem) to have a clear sense of what they want...

I’m surprised by the negative reaction to the suggestion of therapy. It’s  2019, there shouldn’t be a stigma to getting professional support to be a better and happier person, alone or in relationships. I want my tool chest for dealing with life’s challenges to include a wide range of tools, therapy included. It’s not always the right tool, but is sure as hell is the best one in certain circumstances.

Gerard, if you are unwilling to go to therapy, I would suggest reading the book “How to be an Adult in Relationships.” Super helpful, not at all from a traditional framework of relationships, and will help you and your girlfriend think through and talk about these issues. Might be helpful for you both to read it.

There is advice and there there are comments "your relationship will fail."  The later is judgmental, unhelpful and what I am commenting on.  In posts like these as soon as someone says they have a prenup, those same judgmental folks will gladly tell them their relationship is doomed. What naive bullshit that is.

As for therapy, I don't see why that is necessary unless the couple needs outside help to communicate for which therapy would be great.  Therapy can be a wasteful expense or real benefit.  Since we do not know all the details, only OP can decide if that assistance is necessary or not. Personally I think OP has been thinking through all this logically instead of emotionally which I commend.  Next is to discuss and agree on everything with their loved on and make sure they are on the same page.

I think the therapy advise was to help the OP sort out what exactly he wants.  I don't think it was to prove that he is wrong or to even help him communicate.  He sounds conflicted to me.    I don't think people here are saying that what he wants is necessarily wrong.  Just that he needs to figure out what it is that he wants, communicate it, and let the SO decide what is "fair". 

But, My opinion is that he needs to figure out what he wants sooner rather than later. Taking a year to figure out if your feelings are going to change?. Would it really take a year to figure out that you would never be comfortable sharing your finances with another person?  As Kay=El says, there is nothing wrong with feeling that way.  Figure it out soon. Because based on his posts I don't think OP is going to change his mind about this.   I just think she needs to know exactly what the relationship would look like long term so that she doesn't waste her time thinking the OP is going to change his mind.

I loved Kay'Els advice on how to split the expenses if they move in together. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2019, 01:05:36 PM »
The therapy advice was completely out of place which is why I pointed it out.  I've been to therapy and it was helpful; the stigma around therapy is mostly gone.  That said, the same people stating we don't know enough about the OP are the ones suggesting therapy.  I mean, come on!  it's still a very personal decision.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:08:38 PM by dignam »

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
When my husband and I got married, we both had master's degrees, we were 23 and 24, and we were both making $24000 per year. Five years later, I was making 5% of what he made. Why? We decided as a couple that we were willing to move so he could hike up the corporate ladder, and we ended up moving 5 times in 17 years. Did I ever at any point feel that because I didn't make as much as he did that I wasn't a full partner in the relationship? Never. Not once. Still don't, after thirty years of marriage!

You are focusing on tangibles, but a lot about relationships is intangible and can't be quantified in dollars. "Mine mine mine" is not a good mantra for a long-term relationship with someone who's talking about wanting children.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
When my husband and I got married, we both had master's degrees, we were 23 and 24, and we were both making $24000 per year. Five years later, I was making 5% of what he made. Why? We decided as a couple that we were willing to move so he could hike up the corporate ladder, and we ended up moving 5 times in 17 years. Did I ever at any point feel that because I didn't make as much as he did that I wasn't a full partner in the relationship? Never. Not once. Still don't, after thirty years of marriage!

You are focusing on tangibles, but a lot about relationships is intangible and can't be quantified in dollars. "Mine mine mine" is not a good mantra for a long-term relationship with someone who's talking about wanting children.

You realize your situation is completely dufferent than OPs, right? She literally had no contribution in his wealth.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »

Okay...

Let me try to approach this from a different direction.
People here are reacting the way they are for a very legitimate reason, they're just framing it in a way that isn't resonating with you.

I want you to reflect on a simple and inarguable fact for a moment: there is no "right" way to handle finances in a relationship.
Period.
Pointe finale.
The end.

Let that sink in, because it is truly the most important framework to grasp before trying to make a financial strategy with a partner.

Okay, so now a second fundamental point needs to be established: what seems "fair" is not necessarily what it best in a marriage. An extension of that is that life is complicated and the factors that make an arrangement seem "fair" can change on a dime.

A true partnership involves constant self reflection, a dedication to the other's well being, a focus on the health of the couple/family as a unit, and a fundamental trust that the other person is never trying to take from you, but always working to collectively thrive.

So what does that mean for your particular financial arrangement with your potential future wife/mother of your children?
Who fucking knows? There isn't a right answer, there's only the arrangements that the two of you decide TOGETHER from a place of tremendous mutual trust and respect.

Now, from the way you have spoken of your relationship, you guys aren't there yet. You are still speaking from a place of self preservation and THAT'S OKAY.

It's okay as long as you realize that that is a signal that you are not even close to the level of connection and commitment needed to navigate the financial dynamics of partnering.

That's okay for now. You two may be going in a direction that gets there or you may not. You may never be comfortable fully partnering with someone who can't independently financially contribute enough. That's okay too.

It's only been a year. That's long enough to know that you *want* things to work with someone but not long enough to know if they will work.

Talk to her. Talk to her daily.
I know you've said that you've talked to her about your goals, but it's clear you two don't actually talk the way partners need to because you wouldn't be asking the kinds of questions here that you are asking.

You don't yet truly understand how each of your attitudes, hopes, goals, fears, and insecurities play into the dynamic.
What is your biggest fear moving forward, what is hers? Have you graduated yet to a point where you two can be open and feel safe exposing your deepest insecurities?

Your financial situation is more complicated to emotionally navigate than most at this early stage, but honestly, it's not at all unusual within a marriage. People deal with one spouse earning much more all the time, and that dynamic can often change. This is marriage 101 level stuff to deal with, just wait until the real challenges show up.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Take this opportunity to deep dive into your relationship now before committing. The solution to your financial dynamic will naturally reveal itself once you understand each other enough. You will also have established a solid basis of communication for your future partnership.
Either that or you will discover that no solution will work for the two of you and you will know that marriage is a bad idea.

Remember, there's nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself and be careful with your resources. This is why you should be incredibly selective about who you partner with. Just be aware that once you are truly someone's partner, all of the self protection shit goes out the window.

If it matters, I am a psychologist. And I couldn't have written anything better than this.

And +1 to the posts about counseling/therapy being opportunities to explore topics - it isn't to have someone else to tell you exactly the correct answer for your life (that's what forums are for!!).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »
The OP's posts suggest to me that he should remain single or marry up or completely change his point of view on the subject (impossible?). I don't see this ever ending well for the variety of reasons already listed.

source: married 10 years.

Agreed
Source: married 12 years.

I would also add that OP seems to think of this as a business transaction. It is more complicated than that whether you want it to be or not.

She is never going to be happy long term with what you are suggesting.

If you honestly don't want to budge on any of your points, I would suggest you stay dating for much longer. Do not move in together, and don't even think about marriage...

Getting married is the ultimate business transaction.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
I'd be super fucking reluctant to commit financially to someone you've only known for 1 year. Personally, I'd string that shit out for a while -- i.e., don't get married. FIRE as planned and see how it goes from there. Once you sign on that dotted line, pre-nup or no, shit gets real and it will cost you to unwind it if the need arises.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I'd be super fucking reluctant to commit financially to someone you've only known for 1 year. Personally, I'd string that shit out for a while -- i.e., don't get married. FIRE as planned and see how it goes from there. Once you sign on that dotted line, pre-nup or no, shit gets real and it will cost you to unwind it if the need arises.

How exactly is he "financially committing" to this person after a year. Everything he is saying, suggests the opposite, including saying he is probably not getting married.

Not that they are planning to do this any time soon, I know I'd be super fucking reluctant to have a baby with someone without some kind of commitment. And I'm sure this woman has other options if she wants to have a family and OP doesn't want to commit. 

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

How exactly is he "financially committing" to this person after a year. Everything he is saying, suggests the opposite, including saying he is probably not getting married.

Not that they are planning to do this any time soon, I know I'd be super fucking reluctant to have a baby with someone without some kind of commitment. And I'm sure this woman has other options if she wants to have a family and OP doesn't want to commit.

I believe what he is saying is you all area suggesting he financially commits to her and he shouldn't after a year. From the OP's posts, my understanding is that she is the one wanting the baby and he sounds not sure...

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »

I believe what he is saying is you all area suggesting he financially commits to her and he shouldn't after a year. From the OP's posts, my understanding is that she is the one wanting the baby and he sounds not sure...

No one is saying that. People are saying they need to have deeper and possibly more honest discussions about their values, goals, financial plans BEFORE they move in together.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:56 PM »
If there’s a possibility of having kids in the future, you should really consider the additional costs your stash may need to cover before actually pulling the plug.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:20 AM »
With regard to expenses for kids, the largest are:

1. childcare, and
2. implied earnings penalties for women

If OP is really able to get down with the parenting activities, these will not be so large. Unfortunately, this is entirely a personality thing.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
I would live together for 2 years to see if this is a forever relationship.  If it lasts and you decide to have kids and you expect her to work then expect to hire help or you do everything at home.    In any long term relationship there will be times when one person is contributing more than the other in many areas depending on the needs of the family as a unit.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:33 PM »
AND many FIREes have discovered that they really didn't enjoy being stay at home parents to toddlers as much as they thought they would. Babies and toddlers are a LOT of work and I know many people who discover they prefer earning an income to pay for daycare rather than staying home 24/7. It really is a personality thing. So I'd suggest to pad your stash some more to make sure u have enough to care for any kids (consider bumping up the number to include daycare) you may want to have - whether whether with your GF or someone else.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2019, 01:49:06 AM »
Logically, the best steps for OP are:

1)  Save enough to be FIRED (living apart from her).  e.g., let's say it is $1.25 Million
2)  Convert this savings into long term income generating fund, for retirement income -- of $50k/yr
3) Move in together, but pay into household expenses your proportional share, based on your "trust fund" income, of $50k/yr

By not moving in first, you avoid the unfairness issues of differing income / savings priorities, and may find yourself moving into a place (locked in) that you don't want to afford after you are FIRED anyway.

4)  Propose marriage, based on your guaranteed, but modest $50k income.
5) if yes, get a pre nup (as you are very concerned about "your" money)
6) After marriage, co mingle everything.  What is yours is hers and vice versa.   The only time it is not is if you separate.
6.1)  you can set up separate spending allowance accounts with equal personal spending, if you thing you would argue about the other person's choices, that really helps.   But housing, food, utilities, etc should be from a common financial position even if you notationally keep track of it separately.

Co-mingling is really the only way it (and marriage) works for very different incomes when you have kids, or someone gets sick, or whatever..

Split chores and argue over them like normal married people do.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2019, 10:35:59 AM »
AND many FIREes have discovered that they really didn't enjoy being stay at home parents to toddlers as much as they thought they would. Babies and toddlers are a LOT of work and I know many people who discover they prefer earning an income to pay for daycare rather than staying home 24/7. It really is a personality thing. So I'd suggest to pad your stash some more to make sure u have enough to care for any kids (consider bumping up the number to include daycare) you may want to have - whether whether with your GF or someone else.

Where I'm from (Canada) and other countries I would retire in, child care, health care and education are all heavily subsidized and mostly free. So the only child expenses I'm considering are a bigger place to live, kids activities and clothes/equipment, which are also relatively cheap in a LCOL. So I might not need to budget a ton for kids, even if I don't stay at home. I should definitely include those expenses in my stash though.

By not moving in first, you avoid the unfairness issues of differing income / savings priorities, and may find yourself moving into a place (locked in) that you don't want to afford after you are FIRED anyway.

Yeah, that part annoys me a bit. I would be careful to move in an affordable place, but the fact that I would stop working shortly after we are settled could create problems, i.e. why am I so selfish not to help her and causing hardships? Whereas if I am already retired, she not only knows what she is getting into but she sees it and realizes as well.

The law sees it similarly. If I make $400k while having kids and decide to FIRE shortly after, courts could impute income when calculating child support, i.e. classify me as a deadbeat dad trying to evade child support if I voluntarily make anything less than the full $400k. I think that's ridiculous, since high-paying jobs often have nefarious lifestyle or health side-effects (as often seen on this forum), and taking one is often just a temporary measure to make some money (e.g. big law, or working in a remote coal mine), not a lifetime committment to provide a luxurious lifestyle to spoiled kids. I don't think imputed income should ever be more than the middle-class median household income. It is possible to specify this understanding for alimony in a prenup (see The Enslaved High Income Earner here), but you can't say anything about child support, because apparently judges are making decisions for the "benefits of the children", not only forcing you to provide for them ($40k/year) but forcing you to spoil them as well ($400k/year imputed income). Anyway, just one more reason not to retire in America.

One other thing I wanted to add for the OP is that I personally felt very uncomfortable being FIREd when in a serious relationship with a working guy. It just didn't suit my temperament at all. I realize in hind-site that I was somewhat naive to think that being with a working SO or one who was in heavy debt, spendy or had dependent kids or parents wouldn't affect me (emotionally, free time wise, or financially) when in those kind of relationships  but it did...a lot. While that probably isn't the case for most people, it sounds like it could be an issue for the OP. So just a heads up that what often sounds good and equitable during lifestyle discussions about the future may end up affecting  you differently once living in that situation.

That explains why I am on the fence so much. On one side, it does not make logical sense to move in with her, due to our differing finances, freedom, and even desired lifestyle (she is mostly the one who wants to settle at one place and have kids, I am attracted to the idea somewhat but I am not sure I would enjoy it for many years). On the other side, she is pretty special to me and I don't have the heart to let her go, and that is coming from someone who ordinarily has no qualms about breaking up and who is not afraid of being alone (I enjoy being single). If I can explain my feelings, it is a mix of having my single life plans disrupted, being sold something I didn't really want by someone who is very convincing, but also falling back to a life more similar to what I had growing up and enjoying it quite a bit. If I want to ever settle down, she is probably the right person to do it, but the timing feels wrong a bit -- I'd rather be doing that in my 40s and 50s, although that sounds awful for the children.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:47:17 AM by gerardc »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »

Where I'm from (Canada) and other countries I would retire in, child care, health care and education are all heavily subsidized and mostly free.

I live in Canada amd was a SAHM while my kids were little. I agree about healthcare and education (in Ontario, even university tuition is free if under a certain income level) but not so sure about childcare.

I understand it is subsidized a bit if u are working, but certainly never heard of any subsidized/free childcare for nonworking parents. I would certainly have appreciated a few kid-free hours in my day! Especially in the really difficult baby/toddler years. Maybe research that more if you are counting on that for FIRE plans?

In my case, I had little relief even when my son was 3 and old enough to go to the free kids care at my gym. He was the child who cried inconsolably with anyone else other than DH and I. Of course, I am sure that is attributed to my parenting skills (although I also had a DD who had no issues being left with caring strangers).

That said, my kids are teens now so things likely have changed a lot since they were little.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2019, 03:06:36 AM »
Whereas if I am already retired, she not only knows what she is getting into but she sees it and realizes as well.

This.   Yep.  This is one of the truest, relavent things to your situation that you have posted, in my opinion.   Exceptionally fair to everyone.

I would not worry about divorce and child support and whatnot issues as yet.   Time enough to worry about that if you start to have relationship issues.  For now, just a co-habitation agreement and then a pre-nup is more than sufficient.

Life changes.   If you split, you might find that you actually like the way the law / judges decisions are made because your life is so different from what you imagine now.

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
"That explains why I am on the fence so much. On one side, it does not make logical sense to move in with her, due to our differing finances, freedom, and even desired lifestyle (she is mostly the one who wants to settle at one place and have kids, I am attracted to the idea somewhat but I am not sure I would enjoy it for many years). On the other side, she is pretty special to me and I don't have the heart to let her go, and that is coming from someone who ordinarily has no qualms about breaking up and who is not afraid of being alone (I enjoy being single). If I can explain my feelings, it is a mix of having my single life plans disrupted, being sold something I didn't really want by someone who is very convincing, but also falling back to a life more similar to what I had growing up and enjoying it quite a bit. If I want to ever settle down, she is probably the right person to do it, but the timing feels wrong a bit -- I'd rather be doing that in my 40s and 50s, although that sounds awful for the children."

Words matter. Be honest with yourself if you are blaming her for "being sold" something you didn't want. You are independent and you can "buy" or "not buy." It is rather interesting that you use transactional financial terms to describe the pull of this relationship and I think that it would be good to think about this. Look at the words some of the other posters use to describe their relationships. I am making no judgement, but you may be able to learn what is most important to you and what will make you happy by looking at your words.

It would be wise to tell her this, using the words quoted above.  Anything less does not help her make a good decision. She has youth and a womb and wants to be in a committed relationship with children, three things that are definitely part of the equation. You need to put those onto your mental spreadsheet. Those three things are worth money (this is why judges award alimony and child support), and you seem to want to let her give those things to her (although you are clearly ambivalent) while completely protecting your own financial assets. You simply cannot have it all. It seems to me that you look at your previous life (saving your money, earning your money, and not experiencing a loving lifetime relationship) as a life that you really like. That is totally OK; we are not all meant to be in committed relationships with children.

I do understand your position, although I did spend my youth in a committed marriage with children. Now that I am on the other end of life, FIRED and single for 9 years, I find myself reluctant to want to remarry. Disentangling assets is so very costly and disruptive and... unhappy. Even not being married, sorting out possessions and living situations after a breakup is pretty horrible.

On the other hand, I was ambivalent about marriage, decades ago. Even though I am no longer married, I have two wonderful children. The value of that relationship is incalculable. I cannot imagine my life without them.

There are some folks on here who seem insulted on your behalf when some of the posters suggested therapy. Take that with a grain of salt. Some people do not value therapy, and it would not do them much good.  For other people, it is a very good investment of time and money and clarifies their goals and relationships. I make no judgement either way.

And, the relationship issues are inextricably tied to the financial issues. That is why so many marriages break up over money. Both are really important, and I think the posters who address both are answering your questions in a relevant way that shows concern for you as a whole person.

Victor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2019, 07:37:00 AM »
I don’t really understand how couples aren’t “teams.”

I’m 30 and my wife is 25. We’ve been together about 7 years. If she worked now, I would still make about 10x what she would be capable of. Because of this, I don’t really see value in her working.

In turn, she is a machine while I’m at work. All the cooking, grocery shopping, errands, etc. in turn, 100% of my time not working is doing things we enjoy together. Gym, hiking, movies etc. She gets everything done while I’m at work. We both love our situation.

You are asking some questions which I could even really fathom considering. If she is doing things that make you feel wary of being taken advantage of, that’s pretty alarming. You should absolutely not feel that way.

It sounds like you guys aren’t ready to take the relationship to the next step or move in together.

In my opinion, if you were in a perfectly happy position and convinced you wanted to spend you life together, here is how I would work it. I would move in together and offer for her to stop working. Compared to your income, here is barely worthwhile unless she feels she “needs” to work. Ideally, I would have her take care of all the things around the house while you continue to work. It’d make your working life a million times easier. You working 3 more years would be comparable to her working 24 years. That’s just my opinion for sure.

I just couldn’t imagine FIRE without my spouse. She’s my best friend and everything I want to do in FIRE is with her, and I couldn’t imagine doing all those things alone while she continued to work, just because I made more. It’d be like us both working and I retire at 35 and she retires at 55. That’s ridiculous lol.

Exactly what this guy said.  Married couples (especially those with kids...) need to be rock solid teams.  If you don't love them to include all of their faults and they feel the same way, then you probably shouldn't be looking  to get married.  Perhaps a local marriage  counselor would be the place to start.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2019, 07:58:07 AM »
I don’t really understand how couples aren’t “teams.”

I’m 30 and my wife is 25. We’ve been together about 7 years. If she worked now, I would still make about 10x what she would be capable of. Because of this, I don’t really see value in her working.

In turn, she is a machine while I’m at work. All the cooking, grocery shopping, errands, etc. in turn, 100% of my time not working is doing things we enjoy together. Gym, hiking, movies etc. She gets everything done while I’m at work. We both love our situation.

You are asking some questions which I could even really fathom considering. If she is doing things that make you feel wary of being taken advantage of, that’s pretty alarming. You should absolutely not feel that way.

It sounds like you guys aren’t ready to take the relationship to the next step or move in together.

In my opinion, if you were in a perfectly happy position and convinced you wanted to spend you life together, here is how I would work it. I would move in together and offer for her to stop working. Compared to your income, here is barely worthwhile unless she feels she “needs” to work. Ideally, I would have her take care of all the things around the house while you continue to work. It’d make your working life a million times easier. You working 3 more years would be comparable to her working 24 years. That’s just my opinion for sure.

I just couldn’t imagine FIRE without my spouse. She’s my best friend and everything I want to do in FIRE is with her, and I couldn’t imagine doing all those things alone while she continued to work, just because I made more. It’d be like us both working and I retire at 35 and she retires at 55. That’s ridiculous lol.

Exactly what this guy said.  Married couples (especially those with kids...) need to be rock solid teams.  If you don't love them to include all of their faults and they feel the same way, then you probably shouldn't be looking  to get married.  Perhaps a local marriage  counselor would be the place to start.

Being a team is of paramount importance. Having said that, two people have to have the same objectives, at least mostly, to truly be on the same team.

Sometimes, what makes the most sense financially is not what makes the most sense for one member of the team. That member is usually the young woman who interrupts her career to raise a family, which is usually unpaid work. For many women, or men who are stay at home parents, the pull toward a career and accomplishments outside the home is strong. Putting their own ambitions and goals aside to spend all one's energy on family and home simply doesn't work for some people, even if their income is a lot lower than their partner's. Two of the main risks for that person -- usually a woman, but not always -- are 1) unfulfilled ambitions, which can make people quite depressed and bitter, and 2) the possibility of relative poverty later in life if the marriage breaks up and they have to try and support themselves after making themselves much less employable at the level they would have been if they'd kept working.

The OP, while conflicted and possibly not fully committed, at least expressed concern that his female partner might make a choice that wouldn't serve her down the line.

It's really easy to say couples should work as teams when the objectives of both line up with what works best to get the couple financially ahead. But it's not always the best choice for both members, when other life goals may not line up with what works best financially.

It's a tricky situation and the best answer won't be the same for all couples.

The_Rooster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like you’ve got a weird complex going on with someone you’re wanting to marry as an equal. It’s not like a rich kid spoiling their kids, because, you know, she’s not your kid. She’d be your partner- an equal.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Very strange complex going on here.

I won’t give any financial advice, because my financials are crap, but I am plentiful in my relationship and I couldn’t imagine having a partner that I viewed as a “child”, or wouldn’t want to spend my resources with. What kind of “partner” is that?

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »
@gerardc I'm hoping that the very negative comments from some people don't put you off posting regular updates to this thread.  I really want to know how it all works out!

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2019, 11:14:20 PM »
It's a difficult one. The divorce rates are so high, if you take 'love' out of the equation and just look at it statistically it's not very good odds should you go that route.
Also it brings up some very real questions about just what should you give up so as you can be with someone... I think about these things too as I'm in a similar situation.
If you imagine that the deal was that you can enter into a committed relationship with this person, and the deal is that if it goes wrong and you break up and divorce you are going to have to work say an extra 10 to 15  years of your life to make up for the money that was yours but is now your ex's due to the divorce.
It would be fair to ask "well, what are the chances of that happening"  and the answer is about 50/50, or higher if it's not your first marriage.

Mmm_Donuts

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2019, 08:06:35 AM »
For years I was the under-earning spouse in my relationship. We intended to RE together so it made things challenging. At first we split expenses 50/50 but that stopped making sense as husband started to out earn me 10:1. We resolved it by him paying all the household expenses and me saving most of my paycheque. My savings have built significantly over the years. Our investment accounts pretty much levelled off this way.

Your situation is different as your'e not building your savings together at the same time, but if you are thinking of marriage and life partnerships then I would suggest a similar solution. If she's interested in FI then you can allow for a position where she can save most of her paycheque, and speed up her savings capabilities so she can join you in FIRE. This way she will be achieving independence herself (albeit with your help, as you're paying expenses.) You may need to work a little longer to cover 100% of the household expenses, but that could be a fair tradeoff. If you're both frugal then this shouldn't extend your working life by that much.

Though, I'm Canadian and this is a common way of income splitting here. I understand US tax laws are different so YMMV.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:45 AM »
These kinds of negotiations are not limited to DINK couples planning for FIRE.

When you have kids, there are constant trade-offs between work goals for one spouse, and family goals. My wife is considering a job change right now, and--yes--I would like the increased income, but I've also thought about the extra stress she will bear from work and what that might mean for our household. I will have to leave work early more times than I do now. I will have to watch the kids more on weekends when she may need to do work stuff.

There are always a set of shared goals that are moved earlier or later depending on how you negotiate with your spouse.

FI-King_Awesome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:59 AM »
Have you talked about what you’d like to do together after retirement?  Do the visions, desires align?  Is she the one you want next to you, trading stories at the retirement home, long after looks have faded?

I’ve found myself earning more than my partner, and when it comes to savings, I’m FI and she’s looking at a standard path to retirement.  That said, I’m happy to use my savings for us to have a great life together - she adds more to it than money can buy.

Our situation is different in that I’ve known her for a longer time. However, what I found helpful was to sit down and write down what we want to do in retirement (travel, exercise, open a small art studio, move around, etc) and then create a budget. You can learn a lot about a person when going through this simple exercise.  Their true desires, as well as their thought process on spending someone else’s money.  If your views don’t align here, don’t expect it to get better after retiring.

What makes me happy is that she doesn’t expect/demand anything, and while she appreciates what we have, she’ll never be in a position of dependence (nobody wants a SA who’s trapped in the relationship). I know full well that she doesn’t care about the money, which makes it even more exciting to share it with her and give her a dream life.

Now, I have a serious OMY situation going on instead, but that’s a different story...

My suggestion; sit down and talk about dreams. Put a simple monthly budget together on the back of a napkin.  If this goes well, come to the realization that it’ll take you a year to actually retire and uproot from your current location. During this time, cover the basic expenses (house, electricity, water, gas), and while she pays for her own stuff (car, gas, other), let her start saving whatever she saves on housing.  You can afford a larger home, and offering her to stay rent-free at your place isn’t going to break you, but instead give you a chance to see if this works (for both of you!)

Who knows, it may turn into love.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:42 PM »
Update (for those who are curious): Mrs. TallTexan has decided to take the new job. Hopefully I can lobby for the increase in pay to be put toward the 'stache.