Author Topic: Friday will be two weeks for our 401k contributions being held hostage  (Read 2052 times)

dividendsplease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
It is customary for our 401k provider to post in our contributions on the payroll date and the balance update the next day.

Payroll paid on 6/2 my balance did not go up on Saturday morning 6/3.

It's coming up on our next payroll and all we have gotten was an email from HR saying there is an issue last week. I spoke to the payroll department and was informed our payroll provider and 401k provider are still trying to find out where the file was sent and where the money is. How does it take a two weeks to find hundreds of thousands of dollars?

No matter when this gets resolved - should action be taken to accrue for the growth lost in this time period? I am pretty pissed but don't know what I can do personally.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
If it happens one time, for a 2-ish week delay, I'd just let it go.

If you want to make it a little painful for them, demand a written explanation of exactly what happened, a calculation of any lost earnings, and compensation (perhaps via a rebate on fees) if the 401K provider was at fault. If your company payroll or HR was at fault, probably best not to take a giant dump on them (don't crap where you eat and all that...)

terran

• Magnum Stache
According to http://www.401khelpcenter.com/faq/faq_14.html#.WUHiwhPyujQ your employer has until the 15th of the month following the month in which the contributions where deducted from your paycheck. So they have until tomorrow if you were paid May 31st or before.