Author Topic: Foraging 2020  (Read 9641 times)

leighb

• Stubble
Re: Foraging 2020
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2020, 06:51:56 PM »
You can seed the rose hips and either make jelly (alone or with the apples or cherries) or dry them for rose hip tea.

It's full elderberry season here, so I need to pick more today.

What do you do with the elderberries? My parents used to make wine from them. I use a bit of elderflower to make drinks and sorbets earlier in the year. I tend to cut down the elder trees in my garden, but they're always popping up somewhere in my hedges.

I make elderberry wine and cough syrup.  I recommend using a fork to free the berries. It goes pretty quickly.

I also make plum, dandelion, blackberry, strawberry, raspberry wines from partially from foraging and partially from gardening.

Out here (PNW) we are entering into chanterelle session. But I've also found oysters, lobsters, chicken of the woods, morels, king/queen boletes, hedgehogs and puffballs.

I wish I knew more about foraging grains and greens.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Foraging 2020
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
Today I picked two nice and big hedgehog mushrooms, one little chantarell, a few yellowfoots (chraterellus tubaformis), one red cracking bolete (Xerocomus chrysenteron) and a couple of herald of the winter (Hygrophorus hypothejus). It has been very warm at day time lately, so that last mushroom is a surprice, as it usually grows after a night below zero celsius. The xerocomus was a nice surprice, as we seldom see boletes so late in the year.