Author Topic: FIRE resources for right-brained, creative types  (Read 1338 times)

letsgetfired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FIRE resources for right-brained, creative types
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:07:15 AM »
Hi, this is only my 2nd post on the forum.  My SO is an artist, very right-brained / creative and loves exploring the world through tinkering.  I've read through most of MMM's blog but I'm wondering if there are other blogs and other resources that can explain the high level concepts of FIRE in a visual, or ideally more hands-on way?

My SO's eyes glaze over at spreadsheets and numbers and equations, and is not a fan of reading complex topics in long-form (fairly dry) prose.  If you have any suggestions for things I can share with my SO to help explain concepts and help bring along someone who might be resistant to tables and numbers, that would be amazing.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: FIRE resources for right-brained, creative types
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:35:34 AM »
My eyes glaze over at spreadsheets and calculations, too. We look at our spreadsheets twice a year. What high level concepts are you trying to explain?

I focus on:

1) we need 25x expenses, so the less we spend, the sooner we get there.

2) the whole point is to enjoy ourselves, so we only cut expenses to our comfort level. The only way to truly find your comfort level is by pushing it a bit once in awhile.

Which high level concepts are your trying to get across and why?

letsgetfired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
My eyes glaze over at spreadsheets and calculations, too. We look at our spreadsheets twice a year. What high level concepts are you trying to explain?

I focus on:

1) we need 25x expenses, so the less we spend, the sooner we get there.

2) the whole point is to enjoy ourselves, so we only cut expenses to our comfort level. The only way to truly find your comfort level is by pushing it a bit once in awhile.

Which high level concepts are your trying to get across and why?

I'm not entirely sure.  I guess want to make sure my SO can see the potential benefits of FIRE and maybe some of the mechanics as well.  Your #1 sounds good, understanding how much time it'll take to save up and how long a fire period we might get (being an artist, having alot of free time after retirement is a big plus).

Paging @monstermonster  https://www.amazon.com/Get-Your-Money-Together-illustrated-ebook/dp/B07FDM1VZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1541698589&sr=8-1&keywords=personal+finance+lillian

thanks for the recommendation.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »
Does you SO need to be convinced that it's possible or will they just believe your spreadsheeting if you tell them it's possible? Or do they need to be convinced that it's something worth doing?