Author Topic: FinCon 2017  (Read 2731 times)

MoneyIsHard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FinCon 2017
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
Like many people on this message board, I love personal finance/FIRE.  I like talking about it, crunching the numbers, and helping others.  I would like to find a way to make it a career but haven't figured out how to make the change - or really, what exactly I'd like to do. 

Does it make any sense to go to FinCon if I don't currently have a blog, book, podcast, website, etc.?  I was thinking that maybe by being around like-minded people I might learn some things that would jumpstart my personal finance career. 

Do those that have previously attended FinCon have any thoughts?

Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: FinCon 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:15:15 AM »
So I'm going to FinCon. I don't really blog, though I have one, I've updated it three times, and have no plans to start updating more regularly.

I'm going to hang out with the FIRE crowd.  Brandon (MadFIentist), Gwen (Fiery Millenials), [Name Redacted] (Miss Mazuma), Doug (Nords), etc.

Bummed Jeremy (GCC) won't be there this year.

I thought there might be some sessions I would be interested in, that would be related to finance.  Then I looked at the session list a few weeks ago.  Nope.  Basically all related to blogging.  So I'm planning on skipping basically all of the sessions.

/shrug

I'm expecting to have a great time.

If you decide to attend, send me a PM.  Would love to have people to hang out with going to FinCon who aren't as interested in the blogging aspect, but the FIRE aspect of finance.  We can have our own discussion groups during their boring sessions on ad placement.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:06:25 AM »
If things settle down for me personally, I plan on being there since its only eight miles from my house

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 07:20:46 AM »
I'm going to hang out with the FIRE crowd.  Brandon (MadFIentist), Gwen (Fiery Millenials), [Name Redacted] (Miss Mazuma), Doug (Nords), etc.
See you there!  We're getting in on the 22nd for MilBlogging.  We might arrive earlier if the military has room on a Space A flight, and we might stay after if USAA has another conference near those dates.  They haven't announced anything yet.

I thought there might be some sessions I would be interested in, that would be related to finance.  Then I looked at the session list a few weeks ago.  Nope.  Basically all related to blogging.  So I'm planning on skipping basically all of the sessions.

/shrug

I'm expecting to have a great time.

If you decide to attend, send me a PM.  Would love to have people to hang out with going to FinCon who aren't as interested in the blogging aspect, but the FIRE aspect of finance.  We can have our own discussion groups during their boring sessions on ad placement.  ;)
There'll be more finance-related sessions announced over the next couple months, but the blogging and entrepreneurial ones are more popular for earlier ticket sales.  The session proposals are still trickling in over the next few weeks, and there are a number of panel discussions which may be seeking volunteers.  Last year, about a week before FinCon16, I was asked to fill in on a discussion panel titled "Money For Mature Adults".  At first I declined because I'm not a role model for maturity or adulting, but then I accepted when it turned out that they were just seeking geezers. 

There'll be plenty of fintech discussions in the exhibition hall, especially with tools to figure out the details of the 4% SWR or other withdrawal plans.  There's also a perpetual gathering in the lobbies & hallways to discuss the details of financial independence.

I suspect you're going to get a ton of questions about globetrotting and managing finances from abroad-- and what you do all day.

We've proposed a "Millionaire Roundtable" for attendees to network with people in the two-comma club.  It's less about making money and more about stewardship, philanthropy, accredited investors, passing it on to the next generation, the concept of "enough", and any other millionaire questions which crop up.

And of course there's the perpetually popular 2 AM Pizza Club, although I haven't attended one of those meetings in a while...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »
There'll be more finance-related sessions announced over the next couple months, but the blogging and entrepreneurial ones are more popular for earlier ticket sales.

That makes me feel much better.

I saw the list and went "Whoops... Fincon isn't about finances at all, but blogging... I should have known that. I may have less in common with most participants than I thought."

Glad to hear they have finances related sessions, too.

I don't think I'll necessarily learn much, but at least it'll be more interesting.  :)

Still, primarily interested in the hanging out.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.