Author Topic: Fidelity 50k FF Points for $100k account bump  (Read 2246 times)

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
Fidelity 50k FF Points for $100k account bump
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:39:22 AM »
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum or redundant. 

For those who have a decent sized stash in index ETFs, the brokers who compete for business occasionally offer incentives to open accounts or bump up existing accounts.  This can create a small benefit for those of us who split our assets among brokers.

A quick search on deals will show that Fidelity is offering 50k miles for $100k invested, 25k for $50k, on three major airlines.  The miles can be worth around $750, depending on how used, so a bit like a 1% bump (the best you can get in a savings acct these days.

If anyone has questions, feel free to post.  Disclosure, I have accounts at Fidelity, Schwab, and TD Ameritrade, and find it worth the effort to move money for the incentive (as long as you don't buy any advice).

smedleyb

• Bristles
Re: Fidelity 50k FF Points for $100k account bump
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
Back in the day (2013), I was able to to take that 100K and in a matter on months, used it to fund an account (50K United miles), turn around and pull the money out days latter and fund the wife's account (50K United).  And then I repeated the process again after the wife's points posted, putting the 100K back into my account (50K AA miles), and then into hers (50k AA miles).  Fidelity changed their terms soon after (requiring long holding period, 9 months?) otherwise I would have gone for the 50K Delta Skymile bonus too.  lol.    In 3-4 months I extracted 200K miles worth roughly $3500 (base) in air travel on a 100K investment.   The best part is I borrowed more than 60% of that amount interest free a family member, who has more cash on hand than they know what to do with.  I eventually threw a couple of award tickets their way as a thank you (higher end first class tickets work roughly 4K). 

Those were the days. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
Thanks, I didn't know about this. Something to look into!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »
I'm looking through the fine print, but do you know how long you have to keep the account open?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
Wait found it. Looks like 9 months.