Author Topic: FI Podcasts  (Read 3449 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
FI Podcasts
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
Whats your favourite FI podcasts?

I have listened most of the Choose FI podcast, which can be hit or miss, and often it sounds like they are speaking to those further on in the path than I. I have 15+ years to go yet :/

Can anyone recommend any others? I have listened to some of the madfientist and afford anything, but these three can kinda overlap each other / have similar guests.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
Re: FI Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
I tried the ChooseFI podcasts until they started talking about fitness and one of the guys was talking about this pull-up program he did and said he got to some absolutely unrealistic pull-up number in a short time. He was blatantly full of it and you could tell the co-host didn’t believe it either, far more than he let on. I can’t stand people that blatantly lie about things like that to make themselves look better.

Haven’t tried any other financial podcasts, will be on the lookout here for good suggestions

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
Do you recall what the pull-up claim was? I've listened to them all and don't recall what the claimed stats were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
Not to go off topic too far - but the ChooseFI pullup thing was Jonathan saying he did x pullups and Brad was shocked & confused.  In a later episode, Jonathan admits that at the time he didn't really know what a "correct" pullup looked like and now that he knows the correct way to do one, his numbers are no where near what he originally stated.  It wasn't lying - he just didn't know what he was doing at the time.

I like ChooseFI but lately the episodes are more hit or miss.  I tend to listen to the Friday roundups more than the Monday interview episodes.  Firedrill podcast can be good some weeks.  I've also listed to a few of the Bigger Pockets podcast - depending on the guest or topic.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
Not to go off topic too far - but the ChooseFI pullup thing was Jonathan saying he did x pullups and Brad was shocked & confused.  In a later episode, Jonathan admits that at the time he didn't really know what a "correct" pullup looked like and now that he knows the correct way to do one, his numbers are no where near what he originally stated.  It wasn't lying - he just didn't know what he was doing at the time.

I like ChooseFI but lately the episodes are more hit or miss.  I tend to listen to the Friday roundups more than the Monday interview episodes.  Firedrill podcast can be good some weeks.  I've also listed to a few of the Bigger Pockets podcast - depending on the guest or topic.

Good that he admitted he was incorrect. Not sure how someone doesn’t know what a correct pull up is, especially someone who does the research of doing a dedicated “pull up program.” Also disappointing that Brad knew it wasn’t possible but didn’t have the courage to call him out on it.

I’ve only listened to a couple podcasts and that was enough to turn me off. The justification you mention to me sounds more like a cover after he was probably called out for being full of it.

It’s always funny when people blatantly make up claims like that to sound impressive, but they know so little about fitness go realize it’s not even possible. .

Sorry to threadjack, just a pet peeve as you can see lol.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:18:14 AM by use2betrix »

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:11:25 PM »
Radical Personal Finance

I like his Q&A Fridays the best.

Other than Q&A days, I pick topics carefully.  Sometimes he goes off topic and it's great (like one a year or so ago on how to avoid getting arrested because that screws up your career and more) or awful.

I think he has a very refreshing point of view on financial planning and find his advise practical and wise.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 02:40:50 AM »

I do recall that and I remember laughing in the car and saying "YEAH RIGHT".  I just thought ok maybe their idea of a pullup isn't the same as mine, maybe only going down 20%, at least thats what I hoped to believe they meant...

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 03:38:17 AM »
He was probably going down to a 90 degree angle in the arms, which is way easier than dropping all the way down to a full hang.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
I like:

- Journey to Launch
- Fire Drill Podcast
- Mad FIentist
- Oh my Dollar!
- The Fairer Cents

I used to like ChooseFI but dropped off after a while. I was in the FB group and was disappointed to see people screenshot'ing their FB friends to shame them and it was allowed to be posted.

I used to like Radical Personal Finance but dropped off after a few too many comments such as "I would not allow my daughter to marry..." etc.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:43:10 AM by DS »

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:19 AM »
I hate plugging myself but I have a personal finance podcast called 'Money in the Bank'. Feel free to check it out, or not :) We try to cover a wide variety of topics and always cover topics listeners ask about if there's anything specific you want to request.

FI45RE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Whats your favourite FI podcasts?

I have listened most of the Choose FI podcast, which can be hit or miss, and often it sounds like they are speaking to those further on in the path than I. I have 15+ years to go yet :/

Can anyone recommend any others? I have listened to some of the madfientist and afford anything, but these three can kinda overlap each other / have similar guests.

Mad FIentist
Bigger Pockets Money Show

Spicolli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:06:44 AM »
I used to be big into Radical Personal Finance until he got a little too scary with his personal views for my taste, still very informative for an occasional listen. The ones I listen to nowadays are Big Picture Retirement, Clark Howard, and Mad Fientist.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
At the risk of sounding heretical, I like The White Coat Investor podcast quite a bit. Firstly he has a very polished, professional product. ChooseFI and The Mad Fientist have good content from time to time,  it I just don’t like the “hey, yeah bro, that’s awesome!” and “no, yeah, that’s great” all the time from those two latter podcasts. Maybe a quibble, but I want less back slapping and more insightful follow-up questions.

As a truly blessed high-income household I find some of the topics that TWCI covers to be relevant. I also find it fascinating to have a glimpse into the Other world of doctors with high student loans and the peculiarity of their income evolution. It makes me appreciate the relatively low-key nature of engineering we are in. I don’t feel there is the same pressure to have big houses and fancy cars in our circle as it sounds like exists in the doctor set.

I’ll be honest here on a personal level. Sometimes I feel like an odd duck and slightly guilty that we have high income. Listening to TWCI is a bit of a reminder that income (high or low) is just a fact, it isn’t a moral judgement. The goal is still to manage the income as wisely as possible.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »
I used to be big into Radical Personal Finance until he got a little too scary with his personal views for my taste....

Yep, I unsubscribed after it became clear that the "Radical" he meant was of the extreme right wing conservative variety....
Eek

Thanks for the warning

JustDave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 05:27:25 AM »
I hate plugging myself but I have a personal finance podcast called 'Money in the Bank'. Feel free to check it out, or not :) We try to cover a wide variety of topics and always cover topics listeners ask about if there's anything specific you want to request.

Thanks for posting this! I'm always in the market for a new podcast. I subscribed and I like what I hear so far!

As for the original question, I feel like I've tried every FI-related podcast (ChooseFI, RadicalPF, Mad Fientist, Afford Anything, BP Money) and after a while I eventually unsubscribe. I don't quite know how to describe it, but there's some kind of smugness/arrogance about many FI bloggers/podcasters that annoys me. The one I've stuck with the longest is Dough Roller, and I recently subscribed to "The Planner and The Geek" which is put out by Vanguard. They may be more general finance than FI, so not entirely what you were asking for, but still good IMO.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 07:23:21 AM »
Thanks for the kind words @JustDave =D

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
You should have mentioned this at the meetup!! I'll give it a listen, good luck with your move!

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks @MatthewK! Obviously I'm not a great self-promoter haha.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Ptf

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
I used to like Radical Personal Finance but dropped off after a few too many comments such as "I would not allow my daughter to marry..." etc.

Yes, that's part of the "awful" I mentioned.  I wish he would leave the religion and moral statements off air.

But I have learned lots from some of his Friday Q&As.  If you want to investigate this podcast, listen to the older Q&A podcasts.  They are much better than the recent ones.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!