Author Topic: feeling punished for being the 'stable' child  (Read 21595 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Re: feeling punished for being the 'stable' child
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
Proud to be the oldest of three stable children.

Mom and Dad were Mustachian, made it clear they'd pay for undergrad and grad school if we wanted it. Only one of us (not me) got a masters. Beyond that, we were not to expect a penny for weddings or anything else after college graduation. Mom died when we were 21, 19 and 14. We're now 47, 45, and 40.

Dad was a bit of a hardass. Actually, he had a Great Santini streak that's mellowed over time. All three of us wanted to be financially independent upon graduation and were. We've never taken or received a penny since. My sisters paid for their own weddings. I knew better than to ask if he wanted to host my rehearsal dinner.

Whenever DW says I'm being too hard on our kids, I say I'm a softie compared to my old man. I also point out the adult kids living on either side of us -- two each between 27 and 35 -- and ask her if that's what she wants.

One of my sisters and I heard Dave Ramsey utter his familiar advice of treating kids "not equally but fairly." My sister rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, Dad believed it was fair to be an equal hardass to all three of us."

It worked.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: feeling punished for being the 'stable' child
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
At that point, she wanted me to deal with it, meaning communicate with my siblings because she didn't feel comfortable confronting them. I cancelled their cards & sent an identical letter to all 4 of her children/my siblings that the "bank of Mom" was closed. Of course it clobbered my relationship with the deadbeats, but I was incensed that they could expect their mother to finance them (while fully employed!) & cause her anguish. It was never about unequal treatment. Her will ultimately resolved the situation: while she had very little money when she died, I discovered as executor that she had a mandatory insurance plan where she had been working before her illness. I divided the proceeds equally among her 5 children, but the deadbeats' shares went to pay their debt. They were not happy, but it was certainly fair. That was 20 years ago, & my siblings have all reconciled, but things are never quite the same.

Damn.

I think your solution upon Mom's death was absolutely, perfectly fair. I don't see how any logical person could argue with it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!