Author Topic: Favorite Vanguard Funds?  (Read 10142 times)

Jules13

• Stubble
    • January Girl
Favorite Vanguard Funds?
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
Hello,

I've moved my $30k emergency fund over to Vanguard and looking at which mutual fund(s) to buy.  I am looking at the 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares (VFIAX) and Wellesley Index Fund Investor Shares.  I think I can get the VFIAX one...I'm not familiar with the Admiral Shares thing...I just started looking.  I'm not super familiar with Vanguard.  Our Roths are with Fidelity...just thought I'd go somewhere different with this. 

We had too much cash with this and other savings and job is stable, etc.  Anyway...for those of you that have Vanguard funds, do you have any suggestions for me? 

I know many think it should just remain parked in a safe savings account, but it's been doing that for years and it's driving me crazy.  We have several other options to draw from in case of a true emergency, so that's not something we are really worried about.

Looking for something 'balanced'.  And was thinking the stock index coupled with the more conservative balanced fund would be a good mix, rather than simply putting it all in one fund. 

We will likely add to it at some point, but not at this time.

Thoughts?  Advice?

THANKS!
Jules

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Favorite Vanguard Funds?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads has some suggestions.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
MMM has a post on this and suggested the total market index fund.  I just joined a few days ago with the same thought process as you.  I'm keeping $10k in a savings account I can access quickly and the rest I'm going to put in index funds.  I do worry whether $10k is enough but index funds should maintain enough value that if I need more than the 10k, I can cash out if necessary.

Jules13

• Stubble
    • January Girl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »
Love the '3-fund portfolio' advice...thanks.  That's perfect. 

And, Blonde Lawyer, I will look up that post, thanks!  I finally realized that we always keep a fair amount of cash in other savings anyway and we can always cash out, like you said or tap into our Roth contributions if we absolutely had to.  I'm not afraid of the volatility, so might as well make more than the $19 or so per month in interest that it makes now. 

Thanks!

Saving4Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads has some suggestions.

This is exactly what I do.   Simple and effective.

With Vanguard try and get the "admiral funds" with lower costs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:38:32 PM by PopMegaphone »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
If this is your first time investing in a taxable account, you might also want to take a look at Tax-efficient fund placement - Bogleheads