Author Topic: Experian State of Credit 2014  (Read 2404 times)

CletusMcGee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Experian State of Credit 2014
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »
Anyone else see this?

http://www.experian.com/live-credit-smart/state-of-credit-2014.html

I know that people up here in Minnesota are generally careful with money, but this really surprised me!  7 of the top 10 cities by credit score are either in Minnesota or are located directly on it's border.

Also, I live in #1 ;)

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
Re: Experian State of Credit 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
Thinking about your topic, I wonder if there might not be something different about the educational system in Minnesota (whether official curriculum or at-home instruction) that can help account for that.  After all, one of the major whines about why Americans are like they are financially is that they've never been taught any better.  Maybe Minnesotans do get taught better.

(Your post title attracted me because, in one of my earlier lives, I was an Experian branch manager.)

CletusMcGee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
It's certainly possible.  Here we have this commie nazi tendency to, ya know, adequately fund out public education system so we come out pretty high in those rankings too if I recall.  From my experience (make of it what you will), virtually nobody sends their kids to private schools either since the public ones are perfectly fine - even if they could "afford" private school.

I have heard we have taken somewhat of a hit due to the influx of refugees who don't know how to use a flush toilet, but don't have any data to back that up.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
I'd be curious to know what makes up the "average debt" number -- i.e., is it non-mortgage debt, does it include student loans, etc.  Didn't see anything on the page that explained it.

Whoops -- duh -- it's at the bottom right!  Credit cards, auto and personal/student loans.

xenon5

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:54:24 PM »
I'm a little thrown off by the use of the term "bankcard" here.  By "average bankcard balance", are they talking about credit cards?  A "bankcard" could be anything.