Author Topic: Exercise for fat people?  (Read 41030 times)

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Exercise for fat people?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
Calorie restriction is what gets the weight off. 

Technically I think it's calorie deficits that get the weight off, so a thousand calories of exercise is just as good as reducing a thousand calories if food intake. 

The problem is that a thousand calories of exercise makes me a lot hungrier than not eating a thousand calories of halloween candy.  It's easier to just eat less.

They say a 6 pack is made in the kitchen.  But, it is much easier to be at a calorie deficit if you have more muscle mass since you basal metabolic rate is higher and you utilize more calories doing nothing.  Also, if you sustain too much of a deficit your body will go into starvation mode and try to minimize calorie utilization which is why too much of a deficit is not ideal.   

Ideally one is looking for many small meals as opposed to starving and eating one or two large meals.  What we are looking for is when we are hungry to eat just enough to fill up our glycogen storage in our liver and muscles.  If you eat more than that, the excess will be stored as fat.  After eating you start utilizing that glycogen for energy as it is broken down into glucose. Once that is used up we break down fats and protein for energy.  Fat breaks down into acetyl CoA which is the basic precursor of energy. Proteins are broken down into glucose which is then broken down further into acetyl CoA. The protein that is broken down comes from our muscle cells and we do not want to utilize this is a source of energy too much which is what happens with long distance jogging. 

Now, you eat a small meal below your glycogen threshold and then utilize that glycogen for energy.  Once used up we keep ourselves hungry for a little while to burn down some fat and then replenish our glycogen with another small meal.  Repeat this process all day long while staying at a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. 

Add in 30 minutes of weight lifting will help use up some of that fat when you are glycogen depleted.  If you had a good weight training workout, your muscles were brought to fatigue and will need to rebuild bigger which will utilize some of the food you eat into building up protein stores as muscle mass.  This muscle mass increases your basal metabolic rate which in turn burns more calories.

Sure one can lose weight just by eating less, and eating less is a must.  But the whole process is improved with exercise.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
The key with keeping diet in check is to avoid eating stuff that is packed with calories that doesn't make you feel full.

I can eat 10 mini candy bars no problem.  I will lose steam after like six or seven apples.  If both foods are sitting out on the table though, I'll probably eat the candy bars . . . so I don't buy candy bars.  I buy apples.

That really is so key.  Don't buy bad foods in bulk for your pantry.  If the pantry is full of kit kat bars, then guess what, you will eat kit kat bars.  If your kitchen is full of apples instead, then when you want a snack you will have an apple. 
In our house we do not have any junk food. Seriously, no chips, crackers or candy.  When we desire something sweet we go to the store, get 1 serving of it and only eat that 1 serving. In our home we always keep plenty of fruit on the counter and fridge.  We always have apples, bananas and grapes available.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
The key with keeping diet in check is to avoid eating stuff that is packed with calories that doesn't make you feel full.

I can eat 10 mini candy bars no problem.  I will lose steam after like six or seven apples.  If both foods are sitting out on the table though, I'll probably eat the candy bars . . . so I don't buy candy bars.  I buy apples.

+1. If I buy noodles, I will noodle myself to death... if I buy broccoli and potatoes... cool, I'll just eat those.  For me it's about accessibility.  I can 100% for sure eat 2 large pizzas by myself... so... no frozen pizza for me.

Everyone has already said that it's 80/20 Nutrition/Exercise and that's true.

The exercise piece NEEDS to be enjoyable though. 
If you've done dance before, you most likely enjoyed the routine, the community, the music, or a combination of all of those.  See if you can find something else that will fulfill the same parts of dance that you enjoyed.

Also, I have ALWAYS been self conscious when working out in a group, BUT I can't work out alone- it's not enjoyable or encuoraging.  So I go to meetups, I do CrossFit (yeah yeah, I know), and I do Run Bet (that one works not because of community, but because I refuse to lose money- I can walk at a pace fast enough to meet the running time caps if I'm having "a day" and don't want to run).

It takes practice to learn to shake off other people's opinions of you... it's a skill, just like the exercise... or learning any other skill.
I modify the HECK out of plenty of the exercises I do and over time I have learned to care less and less what people think of what I'm doing.

ALSO: I have heard great things about www.streetparking.com for at-home programming with very little to no equipment.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
There's good advice in this thread already.

1.  Find a physical activity that you really enjoy doing.  If you like it, you'll be motivated to do it more often.  As you do it more often you'll become healthier.

2.  Ramp up your activity slowly.  If you're bigger, you're going to get tired out more quickly simply because of the weight you're carrying.  You will be more at risk of injury (be careful about your knees and ankles).

Be smart about your training.  Develop a training plan with clear goals.  Something like this:
Week 1 - Walk a mile a day
Week 2 - Walk a mile a day with 2 30 second bits of jogging
Week 3 - Walk a mile a day with 2 minute long bits of jogging
Week 10 - Half walk, half jog a mile a day
Week 20 - Jog a mile a day
Week 21 - Jog a mile and a half every other day
Week 22 - Jog two miles every other day

The key is that there is constant, measurable improvement.  If you're not regularly improving, you're wasting your time.  Once a year or so, re-evaluate your goals.  Are you still having fun doing what you're doing?  Should you mix up the training in some way to keep things fresh?

3.  Get yourself a journal, and write stuff down every time you train.  This forces you to think about where you are, where you want to be, and how much progress you've made over time.  You will go through weeks and months where your progress is so slow that it seems like nothing is happening.  Having a training journal helps you put it all in perspective, see the slight improvements, and not lose hope.

I see I'm not needed here.  One thing that worked for me was "Running and Walking for Women over 40" (even though I was 30 when I bought it).  It basically gives recommendations on how to go from walking to running.

I had to work to lose a bunch of baby weight, and yes, things hurt a lot.  I never thought I'd be able to "run" again because: older joints, things hurt, and I was overweight.  I was settled into a run/ walk program.  This was good for me because it was low pressure.  If it hurt to run?  I walked.  My average was about 50/50 and my average pace was 13:00 using this method, but I could go a really long time, until about 7 miles.  Then my hips started to ache.  Then I started making progress.

Things that helped me:
- weight loss, you know this
- working with a trainer on proper running form.  A trained running coach basically got me from 13:00 miles to my last half marathon at 10:42 pace.  In a little over a year.
- regular, dedicated, hip and core exercises for proper running form and prevention of injury (this was HUGE).
- hills.  If walking doesn't make you sweat - go for a hike, or walk up stadiums at a track or walk or run up hills.
- intervals (like the run/walk method), you could just sprint for a short period of time.

(none of which prevented me from tripping on a rock while running downhill on a trail, resulting in being carried off by emergency responders with a nasty hamstring tear).

For me though, diet was the biggest thing.  I love exercise, have a preference for cardio but am forcing myself into weight training.  Exercise should be as fun as you can make it.  For me that means - somewhat challenging, a specific measurable goal (race, time, etc), a short calendar (I can train for 2 months for something, but then need a break), and people.  I like working out with people.

I also like to swim and use the elliptical at the gym with my bestie.  I mostly run now (when not injured) because it's efficient and I don't have an hour a day to work out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:14:21 PM by mm1970 »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
I'm fat.  I'd rather not be fat anymore.  (Please spare me the lectures on how fat is okay, or that it's a mean term to use, or any of that.  I'm well aware my worth as a human person isn't based on my BMI, and I don't use the term "fat" pejoratively, even though that's how it is usually interpreted.  It's a simple, true statement.  I am overweight, which means I have too much fat on my body, ergo, I am fat.)  I'm working on  sorting out some diet stuff, but I need the exercise component as well, and I'd like the benefits of exercise beyond weight loss, so diet alone won't work for those anyway. 

I have not always been fat.  I spent many years being quite lean and fairly muscular.  I wouldn't say I was naturally that way, but nor did I ever "workout".  I was very active, including for a while spending 30+ hours a week in dance class, practice, performance, etc.  It just so happened that the things I chose to do with my life kept me very slim and healthy. 

I didn't understand fat people.  Now that I am one of them, I realize that exercise as an in-shape person is an entirely different thing.  I've always hated running, but if I felt compelled to do so, I could put on some headphones and pound the pavement pretty much indefinitely.  Now, I don't have the stamina for that, of course, and also, it hurts, and not in a good way.  I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but the increased weight on the older joints mean many activities hurt, and in ways that don't feel good or healthy.  So coming up with things that will push me enough to make progress, but not injure me or hurt me so much that I will not continue them is a real challenge. 

Walking doesn't seem like quite enough.  I don't get winded, or barely so.  Running--nope.  Any recommendations for a healthy way to start cardio for a fattie?  (I'll also do some strength training, likely just body weight stuff for now -- lord knows I have enough of that so I can put it to good use!-- and have that mostly covered, although even that is more challenging than it should be because after a couple dozen lunges, for example, my legs are wobbly enough to make me concerned they might not hold me up.

Seriously, as a slim person, I never understood how hard it was to start working out when you are fat!

It’s walking, yes, walking. Walk an hour first thing in the morning before you have breakfast, after a good night of sleep. Then try to get another 30-60 minutes of walking the rest of the day. That’s it. Do that every day, no matter the weather for 3 months and you will see a difference.

Also, avoid the white stuff: sugar, salt, white flour, white rice and white potatoes.  Eat more green stuff, pick your faves. And have one day a week of eating no carbs at all.

Seriously, that’s it!

Viking Thor

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »
I did Tae Kwon Do for 13 years; it is a time commitment and can be costly but I really enjoyed it. You could do a trial lesson.

Most places love to take on anyone and even moreso people who think exercise is a challenge; i.e. at my school the Masters and Grandmaster (that is what they call the teachers) loved getting a new student that was overweight, old, or somehow lacking in confidence and transform them. "I can do it" is a core teaching. I saw many out of shape people get into great shape. They know how to work with beginners and build them up.

If that is not your thing - bicycling, swimming, roller blading also have good cardio benefits and much easier on joints than running.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »
See, my doctor flat out told me that just walking wasn't going to get me there.  I was fat, but not quite obese but close, according to BMI.  She said that I needed to do more than just walking, because getting anywhere with just walking would take way too long.  And she was right.  Put your information into a treadmill, and see how few calories you actually burn.  I mean, incorporating more walking throughout your day is awesome.  I think that does burn more calories.  But just relying on walking as your sole workout isn't going to cut it unless you're up into at least the obese category, or if you have hours to spare every day just to devote to walking around.  I don't know, maybe you do, but I had neither the time or the patience for that.  I have other goals, too.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
just relying on walking as your sole workout isn't going to cut it unless you're up into at least the obese category, or if you have hours to spare every day just to devote to walking around.

When discussing biking, I prefer to think of it in terms of time saved working out instead of time lost in transit.  Like if it takes me 45 minutes to bike somewhere that I could have driven to in 20 minutes, then I have gotten a 45 minute workout in while only losing 25 extra minutes of my day.  By that math, I've actually saved 20 minutes by biking instead of driving, since I want/need the exercise anyway.

I agree that walking just for walking's sake is an inefficient way to burn calories.  But your body is not designed to walk in circles for the fun of it, it is designed to walk all day as its primary means of going about its life.  If you just walk to the places you need to go anyway, you're not really losing anything.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2018, 02:21:34 PM »
See, my doctor flat out told me that just walking wasn't going to get me there.  I was fat, but not quite obese but close, according to BMI.  She said that I needed to do more than just walking, because getting anywhere with just walking would take way too long.  And she was right.  Put your information into a treadmill, and see how few calories you actually burn.  I mean, incorporating more walking throughout your day is awesome.  I think that does burn more calories.  But just relying on walking as your sole workout isn't going to cut it unless you're up into at least the obese category, or if you have hours to spare every day just to devote to walking around.  I don't know, maybe you do, but I had neither the time or the patience for that.  I have other goals, too.

It is all a math game.  But basically walking for 1 mile will burn 100 calories. If walking 1 mile takes you 20 minutes then a 1 hour walk should burn 300 calories.  Is that not enough?  What if you incorporated that 1 hour with extra things throughout the day such as always using the stairs and parking your car at the other end of the parking lot.  Before you know it, you are looking at burning an extra 400-500 calories per day.  3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound of weight loss. 

I think your doctor is wrong. Walking is one of the better exercises out there.  Honestly I believe it is even better than jogging because it is less stressful on the joints with decreased risk of hurting oneself.  Also as I mentioned before continues jogging burns mostly muscle mass and not fat while walking will burn mostly fat and not muscle.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »

It is all a math game.  But basically walking for 1 mile will burn 100 calories. If walking 1 mile takes you 20 minutes then a 1 hour walk should burn 300 calories.  Is that not enough?  What if you incorporated that 1 hour with extra things throughout the day such as always using the stairs and parking your car at the other end of the parking lot.  Before you know it, you are looking at burning an extra 400-500 calories per day.  3500 calories is equivalent to 1 pound of weight loss. 

I think your doctor is wrong. Walking is one of the better exercises out there.  Honestly I believe it is even better than jogging because it is less stressful on the joints with decreased risk of hurting oneself.  Also as I mentioned before continues jogging burns mostly muscle mass and not fat while walking will burn mostly fat and not muscle.
Well, I did mention that incorporating walking throughout your day is awesome.  But for me personally, my doctor was right.  Since the choice of workout is not only walking vs. jogging, I found other ways to burn fat and increase fitness that worked really well for me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »

HIIT style training is one of the most the most time efficient way to exercise that I know of.  It's possible to achieve a reasonable general fitness level on a few hours a week.  However, it depends on your ability to push yourself very intensely.  Unless you're in good shape to begin with, you will not benefit from the training because you won't be able to maintain the level of intensity necessary.  Because it's so short, without the intensity you may well lose fitness.

If someone has been sedentary for a long time, they are not able to their body initially.  They need to slowly train their way up to be stronger to avoid injury.  Walking absolutely won't cut it forever, but it's a safe place to start.  There needs to be gradual increase in intensity/distance/difficulty over time.  After a baseline of fitness has been established, that's when optimizing of the workout routine can take place.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2018, 03:01:28 PM »
Some good advice here.

For exercise, find something you actually enjoy doing.

I actually think walking is one of the best exercises for weight loss, because it doesn’t stimulate hunger hormones as much as higher intensity exercises do.  I find that when I do higher intensity exercise, I tend to overeat unless I am particularly vigilant.

I definitely find that strength training helps reduce pain and strengthen the muscles around joints, preventing injury.  I have actually slacked off from strength training, and I need to start again. 

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
Also wanted to add that if you really want to start swimming make sure you find a real lap pool- not one of those small gym wading pools. Shower before getting in, get yourself a normal swimsuit (Speedo makes quality swimsuits- if you're swimming a lot, the chlorine and wringer outter machines can beat swimsuits down.) Get some midrange swimming goggles $14-$30) and learn how to breathe in the water. The book I mentioned before will teach you how to breathe in the water etc. Focus on learning the freestyle or crawl stroke first it burns calories second only to the butterfly.

I started to learn how to swim when I was 21 or 22 for fitness and that book helped me through the whole process.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
There are a 1000 different claims of "All you have to do is XYZ."  Many are from armchair dieticians, armchair weight lifters, and skinny SOB's who have never had to deal with this struggle for real.  Dig up studies for yourself to see what works, and what does not.  Most schemes work under controlled circumstances, and not in the real world.  If there was a magic pill out there we would not be in the bad shape we are.

Dedicate a minimum of 1 hour a day to brisk exercise, preferably 2 hours.  There is a consistent theme for folks who have shed pounds and kept them off, and this is one of them,  Biking, running, weights, swimming, or brisk walking are all great, as long as you are getting your heart rate up and are building some muscles.  Exercise E-V-E-R-Y day you are not sick or dead.  It helps to get a workout buddy if you can, or to have some medium term goals like a big bike ride, big hike, or running race to keep you focused rather than feeling like you are just trudging along.  I can easily motivate to run or bike 7.5 miles to work, but running 5 miles in my neighborhood only to end at my house feels pointless and torturous (your mileage may vary).  Dedicate time to exercise, rather than expecting it to magically happen.  Put it on your schedule and make it happen.

Track your calories and have a heart to heart with yourself and your food journal every week about your eating habits.  Just logging your food will decrease mindless eating.  Adding a salad to dinner does not mitigate a weekly half gallon of ice cream, but our brains will happily help you think that it does.  Halving your portions while cranking up the exercise will lead to late night snacking and soul crushing hunger pangs.  Ideally you will cut down the processed foods and simple starches/sugars, and ratchet up the veggies rather than just depriving yourself.  Pack your own lunch, don't eat out.  Don't eat within a couple hours of bedtime.  Find healthy foods/recipes you can replace your old stand-by meals with and stick with them (or swap in similarly healthy ones as needed).

Stay off the scale.  It can be an emotional roller coaster.  Concentrate on eating right while maintaining a healthy and sustainable workout schedule.  If you feel healthier and have more energy, your actual weight will matter much less and will go down slowly and steadily.  Hitting your weight while being starved, sickly, and constantly exhausted is a recipe for failure and reversion.

The calorie-in-calorie-out folks are repeating a well debunked common sense fairy tale.  Your body will shut its self down to maintain weight if you simply starve yourself, this often results in yo-yo dieting and an even higher set-point in the end.  Eat well, eat enough to be sated, get regular exercise, and ignore the scale.

Highbeam

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »
Do you think walking is most beneficial not because of calories burned but because you are not sitting at home eating?

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 05:30:14 PM »
Stay off the scale.  It can be an emotional roller coaster.

+1 You may actually see an increase in weight in the beginning as you build muscle.

Also don't look at yourself in the mirror after every workout. You're not going to see change that quickly.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »
Do you think walking is most beneficial not because of calories burned but because you are not sitting at home eating?
Getting off your arse and moving makes you feel better.  I find that a brisk walk before lunch or after dinner just elevates the mood and does not leave me worn out like a run might.

It also does not trigger my hunger near as much as a big workout does.  My current daily habit is 7.5 miles of biking to work (~35 clock minutes), a pre-lunch 4.4 mile brisk walk, and a 7.5 mile bike ride home.  My blood pressure is lower than ever (99/62 at last check), and my resting heart rate is down to what it was almost 20 years ago (mid-40's).  My weight is not where I would want, but it is roughly 15 lbs below my peak but it is stable (I only weight every 2-3 months).  My weekends involve chasing my kid around the zoo, backpacking, bike riding to the grocery store, or long training runs up to 9 miles if I have an event coming up (currently just one a year that motivates about 5 months of training runs ahead of it).  We do not penny pinch on exercise and health related expenses the way we do other items, health is well worth prioritizing.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
I lost 40 pounds over the course of a few years. I’ve kept it off for several more now. I stick w two big rules.

I don’t eat if I’m not hungry and I stop eating when I’m full.

I also don’t deny myself if I’m craving something that may not be so great. Like a burger or pizza. I just won’t stuff myself w it and I don’t eat again til I’m hungry.

So far so good. I started resistance training several weeks ago and I’m enjoying the benefits many have mentioned here.  Just try not to overdo it and make yourself sore. That’s no fun.

dylanjohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
Start by walking and focusing on diet. Check out some healthy cookbooks and choose recipes you will enjoy. Make sure to pack your lunch with you when going out. You should be eating every few hours at least a small snack or medium size meal.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2018, 12:39:12 AM »
Find an activity you enjoy doing that gets your heart pumping and use that as exercise. There are so many people who think exercise needs to be something you suffer through and then get pulled into something they hate (running, lifting weights, etc) and can't understand why they can't stick with it. If you don't like running, DON'T RUN. It drives me insane when I hear people signing up for marathons and then talking about how much they can't stand the training.

That being said, even if you do find something you enjoy, it helps to have a partner or partners to meet up and do the activity with. I run because I love it, but there are the days when I just don't feel like getting out the door. To combat this, I have a group of about a half dozen people I run with on a rotating basis and all I have to do is meet them, and the run takes care of itself.

This is what I'm trying to do.  I am just struggling to figure out something that is decent exercise (more than walking) but that is achievable enough that it's not miserable.  That's the main reason I mentioned the stuff above having been fit and not understanding then what it's like to be fat and trying to exercise again.  When you reaching the point in your un-fitness that stuff becomes not just challenging, but actually not really possible (like making it through all of the floor work portion of a dance class, for example), suddenly it's a different world.  What can I do that is enough that it is efficient and pushing me, but that it is still achievable and safe.  That's the challenge.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 12:43:45 AM »
Do you know why you were fit before? It's because you were a dancer. Say that again because it's at the core of the issue. You were a dancer, that was your lifestyle and your IDENTITY. I bet there were many behaviors and habits that went along with it. Being fit was simply a byproduct of your identity.

I strongly encourage you to first work on your identity as a fit person of some sort. It's the difference between "Oh no, donuts at work, I want one so bad, can I hold out, oh no I ate one, I'm horrible, I'm pathetic, maybe if I take a walk after lunch it'll help offset it...." vs "I don't eat that shit, I'm an athlete. Can't wait to get out of this box and onto the trail, shitty food just drains my energy."

I'm not saying do nothing but try to will yourself into being fit, you should absolutely start eating for health (not fucking dieting!!!!) and performance now, and you should absolutely start doing physical activity. But with the mindset that you're a fit person. That way as you're building those small habits, each time you complete one it will be reinforcing your identity as a healthy person. And in turn that identity will reinforce the habits, building the consistency that is CRITICAL for this to work.

About the original topic, swimming and cycling. Both super fun and low impact.

I agree whole heartedly, and this is why I included the stuff about dancing.  It never felt like working out, and I didn't ever really think about being thin or fit or improving my cardio.  Or about "don't eat that slice of pizza because you are trying to be healthy".    I was to busy to eat mindlessly, I was getting exercise without doing anything specifically for that purpose, and even food just sort of fell in to place because it was part of the lifestyle.  I'm not sure I'll ever find all of that again (it was a pretty encompassing thing), but finding some hobby that includes working my body but doesn't feel like it is solely for that purpose would be amazing. It's why I'm interested in finding an adult dance class or maybe even taking up a martial art of some kind.  My guess is that those will feel far more like "get to do!" than "should do".

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
It's why I'm interested in finding an adult dance class or maybe even taking up a martial art of some kind.  My guess is that those will feel far more like "get to do!" than "should do".
Someone else mentioned Capoeira above - are you familiar with it? It's the Brazilian "dancing martial art". Check out some videos on youtube. It's really beautiful to watch and might hit the sweet spot of dance/sport for you, while still being something unusual enough that if you do a class, most people will be just as much beginners as you.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2018, 02:12:15 AM »
just relying on walking as your sole workout isn't going to cut it unless you're up into at least the obese category, or if you have hours to spare every day just to devote to walking around.

When discussing biking, I prefer to think of it in terms of time saved working out instead of time lost in transit.  Like if it takes me 45 minutes to bike somewhere that I could have driven to in 20 minutes, then I have gotten a 45 minute workout in while only losing 25 extra minutes of my day.  By that math, I've actually saved 20 minutes by biking instead of driving, since I want/need the exercise anyway.

I agree that walking just for walking's sake is an inefficient way to burn calories.  But your body is not designed to walk in circles for the fun of it, it is designed to walk all day as its primary means of going about its life.  If you just walk to the places you need to go anyway, you're not really losing anything.

^This stuff is gold. You're combining two needs here - the need to get from A to B AND the need for exercise, when you frame it like this in your mind. By combining the two, you're optimising your time and killing two birds with one stone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:44:18 AM by MrOnyx »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2018, 02:27:02 AM »

Can you tell me anything about starting martial arts as a fat/out of shape person with crappy stamina?  I'm interested in this, especially as I see a lot of overlap with dance.  It's not an option now (language barrier) but may be in March/April after I relocate.  So too might be an adult ballet (or maybe jazz) class.  But I'm struggling with the fact that most likely everyone in those dance classes is like far more fit than me, even if they have less underlying technique.  I may be able to do a better jete, but they can do more/faster!  The potential humiliation of having to go sit down during floor work in order to catch my breath is a bit much.  (Hopefully by then I'll have made enough progress that it won't be an issue.)  What about a martial arts class?  If I can find a beginner adult class (not sure which martial art specifically, and it may not matter much for my purposes), do you think it would be problematic for someone with lousy stamina?  Can a fat girl learn karate in a group class?

Watch out for brain dump!

Fat is fine for most martial arts - it's a performance issue! A friendly place will allow you to go at your own pace.

First thing is to decide what you want out of it. Specifically, how realistic are you about self-defence. Many styles will try to sell you on that, but really, it's mostly a sham. Look up "McDojos" on youtube for a chuckle. No style will make you into a fighter that doesn't incorporate real sparring with non-compliant partners.

So to get this our of the way, if you want to actually fight/spar, then it's really about how much pain you want to take:
- Even the "mildest" martial arts (and the quotes are important) will injure you once in a while. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is extremely popular, partly because you can spar non-compliant opponents with less risk of injury, since striking isn't allowed and you can tap out before something breaks. HOWEVER you do still get hurt, another beginner can put their weight on your lowest rib leaving it sore, you can twist a toe etc... But that said, as imperfect as it would be in a real-life situations (as the sparring situations don't reflect real life), as least you gain real skills and have a shot as hurting your attacker. Also, it's trendy, so there are tons of clubs, they usually have female members who are keen to recruit more, people are nerdy/friendly... good for meeting nice people. Of course there are exceptions, if you take a class in a gym that teaches to wannabe MMA fighters then forget what I've just said.
- For striking arts, if you don't constantly carry some injury as you do it then it's likely fake! To be clear, I am referring to striking arts that incorporate meaningful sparring. Like muai thai. I really don't think that's for most people, and doesn't sound like it's for you, but I'm just including it for completeness.

So that's my own take on "real" fighting martial arts. Now if you want to improve coordination, fitness, etc, then you have a much wider choice. Some suggestions in decreasing order of my preference. But it's very personal, and you are very smart (I can see from other posts), I think when you get where I'm coming from you can do your research and find something very suitable.

- Join a fitness class in a boxing gym (not a boxing class in a fitness gym if possible)! you'll get a super workout, but with actual boxers. from then you could try your hand at light sparring, body sparring etc. only if you want. Google the gym to make sure it's not run by psychos, and that they are friendly to beginners... Perhaps you can observe a class. Knowing how to throw a punch isn't a bad skill. You can shock someone and run away. I've heard it said that for real-life situations boxing and wrestling is the best combo you can have. Make of that what you will!
- Taek Won Do very good also for a flexible dancer, clubs are big and everywhere, they often take adult beginners, and while some sparring can get rowdy they aren't shy about using protection. that's not a concern for beginners anyway.
- If the dance aspect appeals, you could look at capoeira (sp?). If you fancied you could always take up kickboxing after, having picked up flexibility
- Karate is good for coordination and such, but for a lot of styles (that you are likely to sign up for) it seems like it's a lot of repetitive moves, and katas. Repetitive drills (say the same punch for a half hour) can get you injured. not sure you'll get so much out of it.

In terms of what to avoid, again read up on mcdojos and you'll get an idea. Not a fan of boxercise taught by Personal trainers (explained above). Why not learn it right? And things like Krav Maga I'm dubious about. Firstly because I've heard they don't teach the full curriculum to outsiders, too dangerous, second, I don't see how you can practice an art that's meant to kill people without faking it.

Wow!  Thank you so much, both for the great information and the compliment!

Mostly it would be a fitness, discipline, and interest thing.  Any self-defense aspects would be a very distant fourth, at least initially.  If I end up really enjoying it, I could see proceeding at some point to wanting to spar, maybe. 

Based on your descriptions, I think Taek Won Do sounds best, although it may depend somewhat on what I can find in my area with a vibe I like.  For some reason that I can't articulate, boxing doesn't seem like something I could connect with quite as well, though I could be off base with that. 

CSuzette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2018, 03:58:16 AM »
I love hiking but in the absence of a hill stairs work in a pinch. Low impact and more strenuous than walking. I live in a high rise but office buildings and parking garages all have stairs.

Second HIT training. Once a week for 20 minutes and you should see real gains.

I eat vegan and as much as possible avoid processed foods. I pressure cook a lot and make my own beans and lentils. I recently did a a detox and lost 5-10 pounds. I am 5-9 and weigh about 136. I am also 58 and look and feel a lot younger. You can do it!

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2018, 05:54:01 AM »
Wow!  Thank you so much, both for the great information and the compliment!

Mostly it would be a fitness, discipline, and interest thing.  Any self-defense aspects would be a very distant fourth, at least initially.  If I end up really enjoying it, I could see proceeding at some point to wanting to spar, maybe. 

Based on your descriptions, I think Taek Won Do sounds best, although it may depend somewhat on what I can find in my area with a vibe I like.  For some reason that I can't articulate, boxing doesn't seem like something I could connect with quite as well, though I could be off base with that.

You're very welcome! Another poster spoke of TKD and made it sound really good, so I agree it's a really good choice.  I really liked boxing in terms of intensity of training; but it's truly hit or miss in that friendly gyms aren't that common.

I do kickboxing that combines TKD kicks and boxing punches (badly, but I like it). While it's not dancing as such, it probably shares some of its appeal. As a dancer, your balance, awareness of your body in space, control of movements, and the flexibility you've hopefully retained since "retirement" should stand you in good stead.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2018, 06:55:13 AM »
One further thought that has occurred - the few serious dancers I've known have been seriously fit, much fitter than the general run of the "fit" general population.  So you may be underestimating your current level of fitness as against the usual middle aged office worker (I was one, I know how unfit we can be) and may also find that you gain fitness a bit more quickly than someone who hasn't previously undertaken that level of athletic ability.

So please don't underestimate where you are and where you can get to.

Also, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, many years ago I started my walk/run to fitness in November, going out in the early evening after work  The early evening darkness was definitely my friend when feeling selfconscious: by the time it was light when I was going out I was feeling a lot better about being seen.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2018, 07:18:02 AM »
Calorie restriction is what gets the weight off. 

Technically I think it's calorie deficits that get the weight off, so a thousand calories of exercise is just as good as reducing a thousand calories if food intake. 

The problem is that a thousand calories of exercise makes me a lot hungrier than not eating a thousand calories of halloween candy.  It's easier to just eat less.

I think it's not unlike "being frugal" vs. "increasing your income". Both work.

But my guess is that most North Americans (myself included) eat way more than they need to. So, eating less (and eating better) are probably the low hanging fruit.

I don't think this is unlike the "typical" 6 figure earner. They could reach FI by increasing their income, but it's probably worth looking at spending first because they probably waste a lot of money.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2018, 07:22:04 AM »
Find an activity you enjoy doing that gets your heart pumping and use that as exercise. There are so many people who think exercise needs to be something you suffer through and then get pulled into something they hate (running, lifting weights, etc) and can't understand why they can't stick with it. If you don't like running, DON'T RUN. It drives me insane when I hear people signing up for marathons and then talking about how much they can't stand the training.

That being said, even if you do find something you enjoy, it helps to have a partner or partners to meet up and do the activity with. I run because I love it, but there are the days when I just don't feel like getting out the door. To combat this, I have a group of about a half dozen people I run with on a rotating basis and all I have to do is meet them, and the run takes care of itself.

This is what I'm trying to do.  I am just struggling to figure out something that is decent exercise (more than walking) but that is achievable enough that it's not miserable.  That's the main reason I mentioned the stuff above having been fit and not understanding then what it's like to be fat and trying to exercise again.  When you reaching the point in your un-fitness that stuff becomes not just challenging, but actually not really possible (like making it through all of the floor work portion of a dance class, for example), suddenly it's a different world.  What can I do that is enough that it is efficient and pushing me, but that it is still achievable and safe.  That's the challenge.

If you like walking and don't think it gives you enough burn, you can
1) Try walking with 20 - 40 lbs in a back pack (I use two plates in a back pack stuffed with old clothes so they don't slosh around too much); and / or
2) Try walking / hiking in a place where there are a lot of hills.

I think both of these things will increase the number of calories you burn. And if it's something you like doing, you'll probably keep doing it after you reach your goal.

One of the mistakes I've made is doing something I don't like doing until I hit a goal. Then, I stop because I don't like doing it.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2018, 08:05:37 AM »
My recommendation is start with diet first.  That takes quite a bit of focus to figure it out, meal plan etc, and then add new exercise routines after you have lost 15 or so pounds about 4-6 weeks later. The confidence and increased energy from the initial weight loss will naturally help motivate you to exercise. The chance of burn out from making tons of changes at once is high.

I think it was said before, but I recommend yoga. I have lost 25lbs since September 1st doing yoga twice a week and using Weight Watchers online. WW is a paid service which sucks, but it works and is quite simple to use, and really, I am spending less on food as a result so it is likely a neutral expense.

DebtFreeinPhilly

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »
@Villanelle

In the "4 hour Body" by Tim Ferris, he describes a interesting twist on walking. Walk for only 15 minutes a day BUT everyday you must walk farther than the day before AND you cannot run. It does not matter if its one step, one mailbox, or one block farther. In a short while you will be straining to go farther without running and thats where the fat burn happens.

I started using Carb Manager. Its a simple app to use that help track your macro nutrients,  calories, and water intake. The program is based off of ketogenics, or a low net carb/high fat/high protein food intake. It has been extremely helpful for me to curb my sugars and I have trimmed 7 pounds in 14 days.

Finally, break your fitness goal into smaller chunks. You have 5 months until you move. Set a goal for each week, each month, and a 5 month goal.

Come back often for some more motivation if you need it!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »

HIIT style training is one of the most the most time efficient way to exercise that I know of.  It's possible to achieve a reasonable general fitness level on a few hours a week.  However, it depends on your ability to push yourself very intensely.  Unless you're in good shape to begin with, you will not benefit from the training because you won't be able to maintain the level of intensity necessary.  Because it's so short, without the intensity you may well lose fitness.

If someone has been sedentary for a long time, they are not able to their body initially.  They need to slowly train their way up to be stronger to avoid injury.  Walking absolutely won't cut it forever, but it's a safe place to start.  There needs to be gradual increase in intensity/distance/difficulty over time.  After a baseline of fitness has been established, that's when optimizing of the workout routine can take place.
I think it's a combo.  Long ago and far away, I read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.  The one thing that I really took from that - was his exercise / fitness routine.  It seems like a lot of people duplicate it now.  It also seems to be "sensible" to me.

I'm paraphrasing based on memory:
1.  Move frequently at a slow pace.  Walking/ hiking/ biking.  The body is meant to move, so you should move it.  And no you don't have to run marathons.
2.  Lift heavy things.  Weight training is good for gaining and maintaining muscle mass, particularly crucial as you age.
3.  Sprint once in a awhile (and/or HIIT).  This has benefits for your heart and your metabolism.  And it's efficient.  I hate jumping rope and burpees are the devil, but they are efficient!

I'd add flexibility.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-fitness-plan-so-easy-a-caveman-did-it/

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »

This is the way I see it too. On the commute home it also gives me the flexibility to leave whenever I want to no matter how bad traffic is and I often beat the time it would take me to drive.

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »
When I had a back injury, my athletic chiropractor suggested belly dance for strengthening my core muscles.  Worked out great.

There are some great beginner videos on YouTube.  Learn some moves and build up your vocabulary, just like you did with ballet.

I don't like the music that traditionally accompanies belly dance, so I turn the YouTube video sound off and put rhythm and blues music on.

btw - now that temps are cold, I do my leg stretches in bed while listening to the news in the morning.  Nice way to warm up.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
Exercise is wonderful, but I've never seen it change my weight. I lost my weight by restricting calorie intake, period. (Lost 70 pounds last year, kept it off so far this year.)

Results of studies on exercise as a method of losing weight are pretty consistently "meh." The trouble is that your appetite increases along with your calorie burn. You'll be healthier, but you won't be slenderer.

I would really strongly encourage you to de-couple exercise from losing weight, to think of them as separate projects. Because if you try to burn calories for weight loss, you'll probably look to the long-endurance cardio, and long-endurance cardio is murder on the joints, when you're fat. I know a lot of people who have trashed their knees with it, and some swimmers who have trashed their shoulders. Joint injuries can mess you up for years, and long repetitive sessions are exactly the way to trash your joints.

For me, the solution was resistance training every other day or so, and being a goddamn Nazi about calorie intake, until my body was light enough that other sorts of exercise became attractive. Now I love to walk. When I was 230 lbs? -- not so much. And running was just not even an option, not until I'd built some serious leg strength and joint resilience.

When you've lost the weight and are stronger, you'll *want* to move like you used to.

So that's my two cents' worth! Anyway -- go for it, try different stuff, track what works for you and what doesn't. You'll find a way to do it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2018, 01:22:02 AM »

I think it's a combo.  Long ago and far away, I read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.  The one thing that I really took from that - was his exercise / fitness routine.  It seems like a lot of people duplicate it now.  It also seems to be "sensible" to me.

I'm paraphrasing based on memory:
1.  Move frequently at a slow pace.  Walking/ hiking/ biking.  The body is meant to move, so you should move it.  And no you don't have to run marathons.
2.  Lift heavy things.  Weight training is good for gaining and maintaining muscle mass, particularly crucial as you age.
3.  Sprint once in a awhile (and/or HIIT).  This has benefits for your heart and your metabolism.  And it's efficient.  I hate jumping rope and burpees are the devil, but they are efficient!

I'd add flexibility.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-fitness-plan-so-easy-a-caveman-did-it/

I do point 1 and 2 often in my daily life. Always chose stairs instead of elevator. At home I regularly do heavy stuff, like carrying heavy things or chopping wood. But point 3 I do seldom or never. If I walk, I tend to walk fast in uphills. But it is still not sprinting. I am not in a high heart rate zone.
I think I would not hate jumping rope, but I hate doing burpees. Although the latter would be more practical to do in the living room, given the autumn/winter season. Maybe a sort of sprinting on the spot, lifting knees and moving arms rapidly would be sufficient?

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2018, 04:24:19 AM »
I also do some walking, but also not sure it’s enough.  For free on YouTube I like the channel Yoga with Adrienne.  I would just put down a bath towel on my floor, in my regular clothes, and follow along as best I can.  Fighting fat and getting fit is a struggle for sure. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2018, 04:44:32 AM »
I've had a lot of luck with Jazzercise classes.  They sound a little outdated, but have kept up with the times and have more stretching and weights than Zumba, which I like.  Also very approachable and accepting of beginners.  (Lots of low-impact modifications, which I've found helpful as I get into it and slowly increase my fitness.)

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2018, 06:11:16 AM »
I agree with the people who say it's 80% diet.  Until I was very mindful about calories (esp alcohol and dining out!) I worked out like a fiend and got mediocre results.  The best all around workout for someone like yourself is Tony Horton's Power 90.  The first phase is just 37 minutes of cardio and I think like 27 minutes of weights.  All you need is a set of adjustable dumbells.  You can find them all day long on craigslist for less than the cost of one month at a gym.  The key is consistency. 6 days a week.  No excuses.  Everyone has 40 minutes a day.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »
@Villanelle -- there is lots of good advice in this thread so far.  You might also want to get a check-up if you haven't recently.  Routine bloodwork will show if you have any other issues that might make it hard to lose weight (especially thyroid, but probably others).  It can also give you a good baseline for comparison.  In a year when you've lost some fat and improved your fitness, it will be gratifying to see that certain indicators of health -- cholesterol/triglyceride profile, blood sugar, etc. -- have improved.

And one thing I didn't see discussed much is the importance of sleep.  If you have inadequate quality/quantity of sleep you may have elevated cortisol, a stress hormone that makes it much harder to lose weight.  Being stressed out can also cause chronically elevated cortisol.  If stress is a factor for you, then hopefully as you embark on a diet/exercise change you can also learn how to manage and improve your stress.

Best of luck!

singpolyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2018, 08:05:05 AM »
Seeing a lot of claims about links between diet, exercise, weight loss, and health on this thread. If you want science instead of conjecture, these will get you started:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fCtn4Ap8kDM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SFBBjynBpSw

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:15 AM »
Seeing a lot of claims about links between diet, exercise, weight loss, and health on this thread. If you want science instead of conjecture, these will get you started:

Ah.  Youtube videos.  The epitome of science.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »

So that YouTube channel released two videos a week apart that almost contradict one another? Is that right? It's not a complete contradiction, but to say 'exercise is good' then a week later say 'exercise does NOT promote weight loss' seems to lack continuity. I'm sure the videos are academically researched and stuff... but yeah.

Also, +1 to GuitarStv's comment.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »

Lol.  I was going to point out that the linked videos basically say what most people on the thread have been saying: diet is a much bigger factor in fat loss than exercise, but exercise can also help with weight loss and is critically important to health regardless of fat loss.

I'm not going to discount the videos because they appear to be just a synopsis of good research that you would find in peer-reviewed journals, PUBMED, etc.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:39 AM »
So that YouTube channel released two videos a week apart that almost contradict one another? Is that right? It's not a complete contradiction, but to say 'exercise is good' then a week later say 'exercise does NOT promote weight loss' seems to lack continuity.

The August 11th video talked about how exercise is the most important component in overall health.

The August 18th video talked about how diet is the most important component in fat loss.

Two separate topics with some slight overlap, and I didn't think there was any contradicting information at all.

singpolyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:48 AM »

I said they would get you *started*! Don't blindly watch the videos: go read the studies and results they are summarizing.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Almost all of weight loss is down to diet, so get on top of that. You don't have to do a complete overhaul. Just make small changes, one at a time and stick with them. The simplest are things like cutting out high calorie drinks including alcohol.

Walking is the best exercise by far. It won't have the cardiovascular impact that your running used to, but it's great for strengthening and conditioning, which it sounds like you need. Walking has the same benefits for gut health and activity as running does, so there's that also.

The big secret is really consistency.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »
You people who are dismissing walking for 1-2 hours a day as exercise for fat people honestly don’t know what you’re talking about. Walking is the most doable exercise for fat people. It’s sustainable and it works. I was part of group who advocated that as the sole exercise for fat people and was amazed at the results for everyone. Diet also played a role, but the question here is exercise. Get up early and walk for an hour before breakfast. Find time to walk throughout the day. It will work if you move every day. Don’t worry about gyms or exercises or anything complex. Walk, lose the weight and then, when you’re stronger and healthier and happier, look into doing more. But first, just walk.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Are there hills where you live?  Hiking is a great way to ratchet up plain ol walking.  If you've got hills you can increase or decrease the intensity as you see fit. 
Cycling is a great activity for folks carrying a bit more weight.  You don't have to wear lycra either.  But padded shorts are very important imho. 

Any activity you do is going to be difficult when you start.  Start easy and build your way up. 

Edited to add:  I had a friend in high school, his dad was quite overweight and headed to an early grave.  His doc told him to lose weight and reduce stress, now.  He started walking laps at the high school track.   Just walking laps.  He spent a god awful amount of time just walking laps at the track and slowly over time, he started losing weight, a lot.  It became a social thing for him too, he made a lot of new friendships because people would just chat while they walked laps around the track.  I don't think he ever did much beyond work on his diet and walk laps on the track.  He did pass away a few years ago, but those lifestyle changes probably gave him an extra 20 years or so.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:25:17 PM by ice_beard »

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:13 AM »
You people who are dismissing walking for 1-2 hours a day as exercise for fat people honestly don’t know what you’re talking about. Walking is the most doable exercise for fat people. It’s sustainable and it works. I was part of group who advocated that as the sole exercise for fat people and was amazed at the results for everyone. Diet also played a role, but the question here is exercise. Get up early and walk for an hour before breakfast. Find time to walk throughout the day. It will work if you move every day. Don’t worry about gyms or exercises or anything complex. Walk, lose the weight and then, when you’re stronger and healthier and happier, look into doing more. But first, just walk.

This.

Anyone not believing it should try wearing a 50lbs backpack for the entire day and then report back on the subjective intensity of the physical activity performed during the day.
Physical activity is the key for normalizing the metabolism. We know a lot about this and it is actually encouraging. One to two hours non-exercise physical activity, such as walking, per day has a major positive impact on fatty liver (very common, if you are overweight/obese and sedentary you most likely have it) and insulin resistance and the consequent dyslipidemia. It also has effects on mitochondrial utilization of fatty acids which in turn is key for slow but sustained decreases in body fat. Resistance training does the same things and should be considered complementary.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5954622/pdf/GE-18-089.pdf

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jpfsm/3/1/3_43/_pdf/-char/en
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:03:26 AM by PeteD01 »