Author Topic: Exercise for fat people?  (Read 41035 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Exercise for fat people?
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:15 AM »
I'm fat.  I'd rather not be fat anymore.  (Please spare me the lectures on how fat is okay, or that it's a mean term to use, or any of that.  I'm well aware my worth as a human person isn't based on my BMI, and I don't use the term "fat" pejoratively, even though that's how it is usually interpreted.  It's a simple, true statement.  I am overweight, which means I have too much fat on my body, ergo, I am fat.)  I'm working on  sorting out some diet stuff, but I need the exercise component as well, and I'd like the benefits of exercise beyond weight loss, so diet alone won't work for those anyway. 

I have not always been fat.  I spent many years being quite lean and fairly muscular.  I wouldn't say I was naturally that way, but nor did I ever "workout".  I was very active, including for a while spending 30+ hours a week in dance class, practice, performance, etc.  It just so happened that the things I chose to do with my life kept me very slim and healthy. 

I didn't understand fat people.  Now that I am one of them, I realize that exercise as an in-shape person is an entirely different thing.  I've always hated running, but if I felt compelled to do so, I could put on some headphones and pound the pavement pretty much indefinitely.  Now, I don't have the stamina for that, of course, and also, it hurts, and not in a good way.  I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but the increased weight on the older joints mean many activities hurt, and in ways that don't feel good or healthy.  So coming up with things that will push me enough to make progress, but not injure me or hurt me so much that I will not continue them is a real challenge. 

Walking doesn't seem like quite enough.  I don't get winded, or barely so.  Running--nope.  Any recommendations for a healthy way to start cardio for a fattie?  (I'll also do some strength training, likely just body weight stuff for now -- lord knows I have enough of that so I can put it to good use!-- and have that mostly covered, although even that is more challenging than it should be because after a couple dozen lunges, for example, my legs are wobbly enough to make me concerned they might not hold me up.

Seriously, as a slim person, I never understood how hard it was to start working out when you are fat!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Re: Exercise for fat people?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 02:44:26 AM »
You should without question join a good gym and lift weights consistently for 3-4 times a week and watch the fat melt away.  Follow a programme so that you know what you are doing.

It's 80/20 diet to training. 

Eat no sugar, nothing processed, eat only things which are pulled from the ground or grown on plants.... and you will be lean in no time.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »
You should without question join a good gym and lift weights consistently for 3-4 times a week and watch the fat melt away.  Follow a programme so that you know what you are doing.

Eat no sugar, nothing processed, eat only things which are pulled from the ground or grown on plants.... and you will be lean in no time.

Joining a good gym isn't really an option right now as I currently live in a place where the people at said gym would speak a different language than I do.  I'll be moving back to my home country  early next year, but don't want to wait that long.  I think I have enough experience with movement and training that I can do okay on my own WRT the strength training.  Not ideal, but I think good enough until March/April when I get settled, although there are a few nomadic months in between now and then that might prove challenging (all the more reason to focus on body weight stuff rather than machines or even free weights).  I've found a few specific programs online (basically just a list of exercises and the order in which to do how many reps, grouped together on which days) and that's my loose plan, but I absolutely can't make it all the way through (yet!).  I hoping 20 squats becomes 22, and so on....

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:01:30 AM »
Hey, have you considered taking up swimming? It's a great exercise that trains basically all of your muscle groups and definitely gets the heart pumping. I don't personally like swimming because for whatever reason my body barely floats, so it's quite an embarrassing struggle for me to just keep my head up, but I know it's good exercise that anyone can do. I have direct relatives that are overweight, and they all enjoy a good swim. See if you have a local pool or gym that offers reasonable membership or something. :)

Little Aussie Battler

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:08:14 AM »
Sorting out your 'diet stuff' is the key. I have a method that works for me, but I don't know enough about nutrition to feel comfortable giving advice to strangers.

Then start with some walking and body weight exercises that you can do in a park during your walk or at home (particularly if you are self conscious about your weight).

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:20:32 AM »

+1 Diet is almost everything. You will see loss from cutting out processed garbage for a few months. It's hard though, and this is why people cheat and fail. Cut things out slowly maybe? Stop drinking soda, diet or otherwise, cut out the booze. Drink water. Cook your own meals. Eat less salt. Get into a routine. Give yourself a cheat item so you don't go crazy.

Weights are important to lose weight too. Make sure you wright down what you did during your routine so you can track your progress. If you don't get winded walking, walk faster and longer. +1 on swimming. If you don't know how, take some adult classes or check this book out from the library: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Swimming-Phillip-Whitten/dp/0679746676
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:25:20 AM by accolay »

MikeTheSalesman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 04:23:16 AM »
In addition to what everyone said above, just because you don’t get winded walking, doesn’t mean it isn’t burning calories. It is. But I agree that you should have 3-4 days of resistance training as well.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 04:39:30 AM »
Yep, MikeTheSalesman posted just as I was about to write to not underestimate walking. If you can do it, then do it. Look for ways to incorporate it into your day - if you drive to the shops, don't go mad looking for a spot right beside the building, just drive into one of the empty ones a bit further away and walk for a minute. Honestly, it all helps. Stairs is the other big one - if you don't already, and if it doesn't cause you much joint pain, start taking the stairs anywhere you have the option.

I'm unfortunately at a stage where I've started to see the beginning of arthritis in my knees which has meant a huge restriction in how much I can walk. I can still walk but even 5km can leave me with swollen knees for a couple of days afterwards and having to do almost nothing to allow the swelling to subside. Anyway, doctor told me cycling in the best thing to do as the movement in particular helps and so far it is. I'm hopeful that when I lose more weight, I'll be able to get back to more walking as well.

Swimming or any kind of aqua-aerobics, aqua-spinning or similar is also a good idea.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 04:54:17 AM »
+1 on walking.  If you want a more vigorous workout, try adding wrist and ankle weights.  Likewise lifting weights and swimming.  As a fat person, holy hell do I love swimming.  Yoga is pretty great too.

I've always been fat.  Depending on my habits at any given point, I've been healthier fat and I've been less healthy fat.  One thing you may consider is focusing on achieving fitness milestones rather than not being fat anymore. Lifting more, walking faster, more days of exercise per week, etc. Given that you were once not fat, maybe it's possible for you to get yourself back to your not-fat state.  But, honestly, people's bodies and metabolisms change over time, and it's possible you may never be as lean as you once were. But focusing on what you can control--really good diet and exercise habits--will improve you health outcomes and quality of life.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 05:03:22 AM »
Cycling
Swimming
Walking with walking poles, at fast pace uphill. If no hills are available, this can be imitated on a treadmill with hill function.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:35:25 AM by Linda_Norway »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 05:03:40 AM »
+1 for doing what you can do (walking) walk faster, longer, what ever.  Do  few lunges in the middle to get the heart rate up.  Find a hill if you can.  Or some stairs. 

I have used Sparkpeople.com (free) for a long time.  Good exercise advice and demos, diet and exercise tracking, community etc.  You can put in that you want a 30 minute weight training body weight only, and it will make you a plan.  I also use.  I have also used bodybuilding.com when I needed more specific information or alternative exercises. 

There is so much you can do with body weight exercises too.  You are heavy so you just have more weight to move around. 

The more you move, the more moving you will be able to do.  If you like dance, start dancing again.  Sure you will be slower but you can learn it again.

LV

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:10:50 AM »
Let me add to the diet points how important vegetables are. They are low calories, lots of fiber that reduces the feeling of being hungry, but are often substantial enough to make you feel full.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:17:23 AM »
Exercise won't make you skinny, but it will make you feel better. Walk a couple of miles/day. Get a Fitbit and get serious about your steps.

Swimming is easy on the knees, and so is an exercise bike. Zumba is fun, but was too much for my knees, but something fun with music is a lot less boring than weights, as far as I'm concerned. If you can't do a class, there are lots of videos, but a class is more motivating.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:18 AM »
I'm going to chime in - disclaimer, I've never been in this position, but both my wife and I come from families with different levels of obesity and a lot of adult onset diabetes.

80% Diet, 20% Exercise.  Don't underestimate the addictive properties of sugar and carbohydrates.  I'll still eat plenty of them but I have to be more conscious of this as I age.   Was reading a Tim Ferris book recently with some interview questions to some ivy league health researcher.  The researcher said something along the lines of "Our body is programmed to crave sugar.  It was natural selection because ripe fruit was the end of harvest season.  You had to eat as much of it and store it as fat to survive for tens of thousands of years"

Don't underestimate the value of walking.  My 60 year old father with all the bad joints managed to shed his extra 40 pounds by converting his insomnia into walking over the course of a year.  He's lighter than me now.

Its also about consistency and it can be done.  Exercise more days than you don't and be conscious about what you eat.  There's no quick fix.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »
I live on a long distance walking path.  None of the people doing that walk are in any way fat, and most are skinny.  They are of course walking 8 or 10 hours a day on up and down terrain.  So I'm piling in on the walking option here. 

There are two ways to make it work for you: walk faster or walk longer.  Walking faster- walking as fast as you can will make you out of breath and give you a cardio workout. The fitter you get the faster you will get.  You can do interval training in walking - walk as fast as you can until you are out of breath, walk slower until your breath is back, walk faster again.

Walking longer will probably take several hours a day to get weight off, which you may not have.  But if you do have that time, and there is good walking where you are, just build it up over time.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 05:41:38 AM »
I'm a HUGE fan of the elliptical machine. I absolutely HATE running, but I'll do 45 minutes on the elliptical without feeling like I'm breaking my joints. A month ago I weighed 230 lbs, and I'm 5' 9", so about 50-60 lbs overweight. I decided that it was time to get serious about losing weight, and here's what I've done:

I workout 5 days/week right now, more if I can spare the time (I work too much and my mom's in the hospital, so my time is fairly scarce right now). 45 minutes on the elliptical (target heart rate 145), and ~30 minutes with weights. I aim for at least 15,000 steps per day between the exercise and walking currently.  If you don't have access to exercise machines, and don't want to buy one, walking to get at least that many steps (or more) should help anyway.

I plan my meals and track my calories using Myfitnesspal. This is a great free tool for seeing what you're doing with your eating. You have to be honest and log everything though, or it won't really help.  Salad with every lunch and dinner (with low calorie/low fat dressing) helps me stay full without having to eat as many calories.  Alcohol is a HUGE amount of empty calories, and a relatively easy way to cut back on how many calories you're consuming by just dropping it out completely.

I have made myself accountable for losing weight - I joined dietbet.com and am in two challenges, a short term challenge to lose 4% of my weight in 4 weeks, and a longer term one to lose 10% in 6 months.  I paid money to be in these challenges and will win money if I'm successful, or I'll have waste the money if I fail. The 4 week challenge is over next week and I'm on track to just barely pull that one off, but I'm ahead of my needed progress on the long-term one.

The biggest thing for me was recognizing that it's just not healthy for me to be this fat and out of shape, and I decided to make a difference. It does require a lifestyle change (eating better and working out), so ensure that whatever change you make is a change you will be happy/content with long-term.  Losing weight just to go back to your old habits won't help in the long-run.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 05:53:25 AM »
A few suggestions:
1) Find exercise you like and figure out a way to stay motivated to do it (like listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks and being outdoors if you like fresh air)
2) Start small. Commit to 5 minutes every day for the first week. Then up it to 10 the following week. If you find yourself skipping days, go back down to five minutes for a full week and try to increase the following week again. Really, you are just proving to yourself that you can make a commitment to exercise.
3) Don't underestimate the power of exercise + manual labor (like gardening, cleaning the house, laundry, washing the car, etc. While this is not intense, you are on your feet and actively moving/working).
4) If you incorporate weight training, start with higher reps (12-20) and no weight or very light weight. This will help your body get stable and used to exercise again. The NASM personal training program advises to stay in this strength training stage for 4-6 weeks before adding intensity. Even 1-2 days of strength training combined with activity other days is enough, especially when just starting out. Don't be intimidated by all those saying 3-4 days. That is hard for someone just beginning. Make that your end result goal. If you do try 3-4 days, choose a small amount of time at first so you can get used to the strength training without burning out.
5) For the initial strength training, focus on plank work to build a strong core, bridges, bodyweight squats, and light deadlifts (if your knees can handle them - if not bridges tone glute muscles, which are one of the largest muscle groups), and of course upper body work like push-ups (modified to knees if needed), rows for good shoulder and upper back posture, biceps and triceps.
6) Mixing meditation and yoga into a consistent exercise program has been helpful for a lot of people. There are many overweight people who practice yoga so don't be intimidated. It's fabulous for aging joints and very therapeutic.
7)Commit to a day and an amount of time and get started! Then try not to break the "some form of active movement" cycle.
8) And yes, a healthy diet is beneficial but it may be easier to start with diet or exercise for a month, then start working on the other. Too many changes at once can be hard to maintain.
9) Really know your goal. Losing weight may be part of it but what happens when the weight is gone? Will you keep exercising? Try to hone in on what you're really after. Is it to feel good? Is it to age well? Is it be healthier indefinitely? Is it to gain more confidence in the long-term? That will help you devise a goal that you can stick with for life.

Those are my two cents! Best of luck to you!

Sockigal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »
I've lost 110 pounds over the last year. Lots of good advice already on this thread. Going to the gym weighing 305 pounds was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But you know what, I did it! I learned not to care what other people thought about me and just went back again and again. My first goal was to just walk 10000 steps a day for a year. I am 11 months into it. Without fail I walk 10000 steps a day, even if it's in front of the tv watching a movie. I worked from walking on the treadmill and doing the exercise bike to spinning classes. Spinning is great because it's low impact on your joints, but you burn tons of calories and build endurance. I also walked my neighborhood. Walking somehow turned into running, and I have never been a runner. But building up strength a little at a time really helped. I ran a 10K this September and run at least 3 times a week, 3 miles a time.

So working out really helps burn calories, increase your mood and builds endurance. But what you eat is probably 80-90% of weight loss. I eat lots of protein, fruits and veggies, at least 80 grams a day. It really fills me up. I eat to fuel my body now. I logged all my foods for a good 9 months until I figured out what worked for me. I also drink a lot of water.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 06:17:54 AM »
You have gotten great advice. Walking works but it sounds like you may need to do for too long a period to feel results. I also second any kind of machine like cycle machine, elliptical, rowing machine to both work muscles and get heart rate up. It's going to be cardiovascular and also weight resistance that is going to burn fat and increase muscle.

You have lot of background in dance, which is awesome because it is not just exercise, but a skill and which makes you more graceful, coordinated, better posture. Any other type of dance you can do, either on your own or with other people? I don't have much time for a traditional workout routine but one of the things I do is play Wii Dance and also put on music and dance with my daughter. Sometimes we will watch old Soul Train clips and try to imitate the movements. It's fun so it doesn't feel like a workout.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 06:19:48 AM »
Hi fellow fat person! I've lost 70 lbs. Here's my advice:

1. Most weight is lost in the kitchen. Your fork is your weapon in this battle. More veggies!

2. Some exercise is better than no exercise. Just start. A little bit here, a little bit there. Worry about getting the best plan for you later.

3. The best exercise program is one you don't hate. If you hate it you'll quit, so find something you want to keep doing.

And come on over and join us in the weight loss challenges over in Throw Down the Gauntlet!

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 06:35:41 AM »
Lots of great advice, around importance of diet (outrunning the fork and all that), and a good balance in training.

Seems like few people picked up that you are already looking at bodyweight exercises. Big thumbs up. Mustachian, and safe. If it gets too much, I'd just do a few burpees. they are an amazing exercise, and it's easy to track progress as you just count them. Start with like 5. Increase by one every other session, until you can do 2-3 intense one-minute rounds of them.

For me, kettlebells are a winner. Get yourself a 12kg one to start, use a mirror or film yourself to make sure you do them right. 5x5 feet of outdoor space is all you need. I've cancelled by local gym membership after getting one; between cycling, martial arts, and kettle, I can get all the workout I need. Funk Roberts on youtube has good videos, and there are tons of others for beginners. Once you've seen a few you'll be able to tell what's working.

The problem I have about lifting weights is that inevitably you'll hit your biceps, triceps etc a lot, and that's not where the money is. Whole-body exercises that hit all your "big" muscles incl. core, legs etc will help you more. People did point out importance of legs etc but really, gyms seem to be organised for cosmetic training (biceps shoulders etc). That's why I much prefer walking into my back garden, pick up my kettlebell from the shed and swing away for a half hour. Then DONE!!

Others may say it's a bit of a fad. No doubt it is, but it does help. Your whole body will feel the burn, start slow so you don't pull anything. You obviously know that.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:43:40 AM by mveill1 »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 06:52:11 AM »
Lots of great advice, around importance of diet (outrunning the fork and all that), and a good balance in training.

Seems like few people picked up that you are already looking at bodyweight exercises. Big thumbs up. Mustachian, and safe. If it gets too much, I'd just do a few burpees. they are an amazing exercise, and it's easy to track progress as you just count them. Start with like 5. Increase by one every other session, until you can do 2-3 intense one-minute rounds of them.

For me, kettlebells are a winner. Get yourself a 12kg one to start, use a mirror or film yourself to make sure you do them right. 5x5 feet of outdoor space is all you need. I've cancelled by local gym membership after getting one; between cycling, martial arts, and kettle, I can get all the workout I need. Funk Roberts on youtube has good videos, and there are tons of others for beginners. Once you've seen a few you'll be able to tell what's working.

The problem I have about lifting weights is that inevitably you'll hit your biceps, triceps etc a lot, and that's not where the money is. Whole-body exercises that hit all your "big" muscles incl. core, legs etc will help you more. People did point out importance of legs etc but really, gyms seem to be organised for cosmetic training (biceps shoulders etc). That's why I much prefer walking into my back garden, pick up my kettlebell from the shed and swing away for a half hour. Then DONE!!

Others may say it's a bit of a fad. No doubt it is, but it does help. Your whole body will feel the burn, start slow so you don't pull anything. You obviously know that.

Can you tell me anything about starting martial arts as a fat/out of shape person with crappy stamina?  I'm interested in this, especially as I see a lot of overlap with dance.  It's not an option now (language barrier) but may be in March/April after I relocate.  So too might be an adult ballet (or maybe jazz) class.  But I'm struggling with the fact that most likely everyone in those dance classes is like far more fit than me, even if they have less underlying technique.  I may be able to do a better jete, but they can do more/faster!  The potential humiliation of having to go sit down during floor work in order to catch my breath is a bit much.  (Hopefully by then I'll have made enough progress that it won't be an issue.)  What about a martial arts class?  If I can find a beginner adult class (not sure which martial art specifically, and it may not matter much for my purposes), do you think it would be problematic for someone with lousy stamina?  Can a fat girl learn karate in a group class?

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 06:56:02 AM »
Good luck on this journey! I would second what others say about walking. My goal lately has been to do much more of that, but I am failing miserably so far. In the past, however, walking has definitely made me feel strong.

This might be controversial, but I'm thinking about getting an ebike so I can do my very mountainous ride to work. This article makes me feel a little better about how much exercise I would get doing that: https://www.bicycling.com/training/a23610389/how-e-bikes-affect-fitness/?fbclid=IwAR0F_q5DxUzj1a6CyHpG2w9d9twORfEax2qsBrFWjLnGuZM6mEXBczTFCUk

Damn, those things are pricey, though!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 07:11:17 AM »
Can you tell me anything about starting martial arts as a fat/out of shape person with crappy stamina?  I'm interested in this, especially as I see a lot of overlap with dance.  It's not an option now (language barrier) but may be in March/April after I relocate.  So too might be an adult ballet (or maybe jazz) class.  But I'm struggling with the fact that most likely everyone in those dance classes is like far more fit than me, even if they have less underlying technique.  I may be able to do a better jete, but they can do more/faster!  The potential humiliation of having to go sit down during floor work in order to catch my breath is a bit much.  (Hopefully by then I'll have made enough progress that it won't be an issue.)  What about a martial arts class?  If I can find a beginner adult class (not sure which martial art specifically, and it may not matter much for my purposes), do you think it would be problematic for someone with lousy stamina?  Can a fat girl learn karate in a group class?
As well as working on fitness, you should try and work on the mental aspects of trying not to care what other people are doing better/faster/more than you. I know it is so difficult and this kind of embarassment holds me back from doing an awful lot of stuff, but if you can at all, try not to let it stop you.
Tai chi is a martial art, too (takes about 10 years to get to the level you could actually use it for defence/fighting, IIRC) and definitely doable for less fit people. I have also seen yoga for fat people* classes on offer, so you could check that out, too.

*It had some less obvious, more cutesy name but I've forgotten now what it was

FIREGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »
Find an activity you enjoy doing that gets your heart pumping and use that as exercise. There are so many people who think exercise needs to be something you suffer through and then get pulled into something they hate (running, lifting weights, etc) and can't understand why they can't stick with it. If you don't like running, DON'T RUN. It drives me insane when I hear people signing up for marathons and then talking about how much they can't stand the training.

That being said, even if you do find something you enjoy, it helps to have a partner or partners to meet up and do the activity with. I run because I love it, but there are the days when I just don't feel like getting out the door. To combat this, I have a group of about a half dozen people I run with on a rotating basis and all I have to do is meet them, and the run takes care of itself.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
There are few activities you can't do as a fat person so try out what works for you. You may also have other problems that limit but being fat usually is not that limiting in itself. I suggest water aerobics, swimming, cycling (outside or an an exercise bike) or a cross trainer as easy things to start with if you are already doing walking. Spinning classes, lower impact aerobics, yoga or weight training are other options that may be fun too. I know fat people who exercise in all ways you can think of really but if you already have some problems with your knees for example try one of the ones I first suggested. My personal favorite is water aerobics, it is easy to start with but as you get better at it, it actually gets harder since you get better at using the water as resistance.

goalphish2002

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
Walking for one hour a day, 7 days a week can do wonders for the body.  This can then become a light jog for 30 seconds, ever so often, while walking.  I would check out the "Couch to 5K" app after that. 

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
Do you know why you were fit before? It's because you were a dancer. Say that again because it's at the core of the issue. You were a dancer, that was your lifestyle and your IDENTITY. I bet there were many behaviors and habits that went along with it. Being fit was simply a byproduct of your identity.

I strongly encourage you to first work on your identity as a fit person of some sort. It's the difference between "Oh no, donuts at work, I want one so bad, can I hold out, oh no I ate one, I'm horrible, I'm pathetic, maybe if I take a walk after lunch it'll help offset it...." vs "I don't eat that shit, I'm an athlete. Can't wait to get out of this box and onto the trail, shitty food just drains my energy."

I'm not saying do nothing but try to will yourself into being fit, you should absolutely start eating for health (not fucking dieting!!!!) and performance now, and you should absolutely start doing physical activity. But with the mindset that you're a fit person. That way as you're building those small habits, each time you complete one it will be reinforcing your identity as a healthy person. And in turn that identity will reinforce the habits, building the consistency that is CRITICAL for this to work.

About the original topic, swimming and cycling. Both super fun and low impact.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 08:00:29 AM »
Build up a good base walking, then progress to working in a few intervals of jogging (like a city block or two). Once you feel you've built up a good base, SPRINT.  Just do it in intervals. Walk for 10 minutes, sprint for a block, walk again for 10 minutes, sprint for a block.  Continue doing this until you see noted improvement and gains, then begin to work in other exercises (i.e., drop for 10 push ups on the sidewalk right after a sprint interval, or 10 air squats, 10 lunges, etc).  Your body will adapt, keep pushing it each time the routine starts to feel a little easier. MAKE IT FUN -- hell, skip down the street, ring your neighbor's doorbell and run away, do whatever you have to do to make it engaging, so you stick with it.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »
Sorting out your 'diet stuff' is the key. I have a method that works for me, but I don't know enough about nutrition to feel comfortable giving advice to strangers.

Then start with some walking and body weight exercises that you can do in a park during your walk or at home (particularly if you are self conscious about your weight).

I think that eating differently is the right answer if you're most interested in fat loss.

I think it was on Tim Ferriss's podcast, but I've heard the advice that "you can't outrun your mouth". I had really good success with his Slow Carb Diet, which was fairly straight forward. I lost something like 50 lbs doing it, but then put most of it back on over 3 years with a new job.

I'm also a fan of walking (with a weighted vest if you want to burn some extra calories).

I've also recently started doing some simple body weight stuff (mostly push-ups and air squats) as well as kettle bell swings (which you could also do without weight to get used to the motion).

I also have a recumbent bike at home that I do for 45 - 60 minutes while playing video games. I find that sports games are better for doing this than story based games (like Horizon Zero Dawn) because I don't have to concentrate as much.

This has been most effective when I end with a Tabata type sprint at the end (I do 20 seconds of full effort then 20 seconds of rest for 8 cycles). It feels great when I'm done, but it's hard to get back into doing it if I skip it a few times.

The other thing I've started doing lately is 30 minutes in a dry sauna (~ 190 F). I was turned onto this by Dr. Rhonda Patrick of "Found My Fitness" (although I first heard of her from interviews she did on Joe Rogan).

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »

I knew several people who started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu weighing 250+ lbs, and lost 60+ lbs. each. The thing is, you have to LET YOUR EGO GO. You are likely going to feel out of place when you first walk in, and probably self-conscious as you will meet a lot of fit people, and people much smaller than you will be kicking your ass with ease. Don't let this get you down or deter you. If you choose the right school, one where there is an attitude of helping one another, while still also being a little competitive, you will make gains and lose weight. Embrace the learning aspect of it -- it's a lifelong learning process -- and it will be really fun and addicting, and I daresay, life changing.

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »

Watch out for brain dump!

Fat is fine for most martial arts - it's a performance issue! A friendly place will allow you to go at your own pace.

First thing is to decide what you want out of it. Specifically, how realistic are you about self-defence. Many styles will try to sell you on that, but really, it's mostly a sham. Look up "McDojos" on youtube for a chuckle. No style will make you into a fighter that doesn't incorporate real sparring with non-compliant partners.

So to get this our of the way, if you want to actually fight/spar, then it's really about how much pain you want to take:
- Even the "mildest" martial arts (and the quotes are important) will injure you once in a while. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is extremely popular, partly because you can spar non-compliant opponents with less risk of injury, since striking isn't allowed and you can tap out before something breaks. HOWEVER you do still get hurt, another beginner can put their weight on your lowest rib leaving it sore, you can twist a toe etc... But that said, as imperfect as it would be in a real-life situations (as the sparring situations don't reflect real life), as least you gain real skills and have a shot as hurting your attacker. Also, it's trendy, so there are tons of clubs, they usually have female members who are keen to recruit more, people are nerdy/friendly... good for meeting nice people. Of course there are exceptions, if you take a class in a gym that teaches to wannabe MMA fighters then forget what I've just said.
- For striking arts, if you don't constantly carry some injury as you do it then it's likely fake! To be clear, I am referring to striking arts that incorporate meaningful sparring. Like muai thai. I really don't think that's for most people, and doesn't sound like it's for you, but I'm just including it for completeness.

So that's my own take on "real" fighting martial arts. Now if you want to improve coordination, fitness, etc, then you have a much wider choice. Some suggestions in decreasing order of my preference. But it's very personal, and you are very smart (I can see from other posts), I think when you get where I'm coming from you can do your research and find something very suitable.

- Join a fitness class in a boxing gym (not a boxing class in a fitness gym if possible)! you'll get a super workout, but with actual boxers. from then you could try your hand at light sparring, body sparring etc. only if you want. Google the gym to make sure it's not run by psychos, and that they are friendly to beginners... Perhaps you can observe a class. Knowing how to throw a punch isn't a bad skill. You can shock someone and run away. I've heard it said that for real-life situations boxing and wrestling is the best combo you can have. Make of that what you will!
- Taek Won Do very good also for a flexible dancer, clubs are big and everywhere, they often take adult beginners, and while some sparring can get rowdy they aren't shy about using protection. that's not a concern for beginners anyway.
- If the dance aspect appeals, you could look at capoeira (sp?). If you fancied you could always take up kickboxing after, having picked up flexibility
- Karate is good for coordination and such, but for a lot of styles (that you are likely to sign up for) it seems like it's a lot of repetitive moves, and katas. Repetitive drills (say the same punch for a half hour) can get you injured. not sure you'll get so much out of it.

In terms of what to avoid, again read up on mcdojos and you'll get an idea. Not a fan of boxercise taught by Personal trainers (explained above). Why not learn it right? And things like Krav Maga I'm dubious about. Firstly because I've heard they don't teach the full curriculum to outsiders, too dangerous, second, I don't see how you can practice an art that's meant to kill people without faking it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:38:29 AM by mveill1 »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
Find a friend or neighbor with a dog and walk it. Exercise, good karma, and maybe even some side cash in it for you! And it’s always nice to have an exercise companion. :-)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
In my experience, controlling diet (e.g. cutting out ALL sugar and simple carbs) was a much more effective way to lose weight than any intense exercise regimen. Yeah, be active. Go for walks. But the amount of effort to burn calories by intense/gym exercising is way way more difficult than making choices about what you eat.
Just my two cents.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 08:46:05 AM »

I used to do martial arts as a kid/teen. Got to black belt, too. I trained with all kinds and shapes of people, and honestly, it really isn't an issue :)

Sure, I wasn't able to properly practice certain throwing techniques on a guy that was too heavy (without fully going for it, putting myself and them at risk of injury,) but it certainly didn't stop us learning together.

If you're considering martial arts and are looking for recommendations, it has my vote. You get plenty of cardiovascular workout, bodyweight training, and they'll be sure to promote good healthy attitudes towards you like self discipline and respect (not saying you lack either of these). Oh, and as a byproduct, you also learn how to effectively kick someone's arse if they make fun of your weight*.

* But you'll likely not want to, because they'll have also instilled self-control into you, as well as knowing when to fight and when not to.

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »
I found leslie sansone videos great. Walking plus some light cardio and can do from home. Thinking i need to start again myself... arggg just got winded running for bus the other day and am so out of shape and not happy about it. Hope it goes well for you!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 08:49:11 AM »
Another vote for walking! I lost over 100 pounds with a careful diet and I walked! I aimed for 10,000 steps a day. I started out at a very easy pace and eventually became quite an amateur speed walker. It is really, really good for you no matter what else you do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
There's good advice in this thread already.

1.  Find a physical activity that you really enjoy doing.  If you like it, you'll be motivated to do it more often.  As you do it more often you'll become healthier.

2.  Ramp up your activity slowly.  If you're bigger, you're going to get tired out more quickly simply because of the weight you're carrying.  You will be more at risk of injury (be careful about your knees and ankles).

Be smart about your training.  Develop a training plan with clear goals.  Something like this:
Week 1 - Walk a mile a day
Week 2 - Walk a mile a day with 2 30 second bits of jogging
Week 3 - Walk a mile a day with 2 minute long bits of jogging
Week 10 - Half walk, half jog a mile a day
Week 20 - Jog a mile a day
Week 21 - Jog a mile and a half every other day
Week 22 - Jog two miles every other day

The key is that there is constant, measurable improvement.  If you're not regularly improving, you're wasting your time.  Once a year or so, re-evaluate your goals.  Are you still having fun doing what you're doing?  Should you mix up the training in some way to keep things fresh?

3.  Get yourself a journal, and write stuff down every time you train.  This forces you to think about where you are, where you want to be, and how much progress you've made over time.  You will go through weeks and months where your progress is so slow that it seems like nothing is happening.  Having a training journal helps you put it all in perspective, see the slight improvements, and not lose hope.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
@Villanelle,

Congratulations on making the decision to be healthier.  Can I please offer you some advice from the psychological/physiological stand point. 

1) Picking the right goal will set you up for success.  Please do not pick the goal of losing x pounds in y weeks.  It is a failing proposition.  Instead choose goals that are not only achievable but good for you as well.  For example your #1 goal should be getting healthier.  Another goal you should have is to exercise x minutes y times a week.  Lastly, your goal should be to cut out 1 bad eating habit every few weeks.  These are very simple and easily achievable goals that over time will not only lead to weight loss, but it will actually make you healthy. 

2) Do not diet.  I know this is strange to say, but diets don't work.  I don't care if it is the Atkins diet, the California diner, the Paleo diet, or the nothing but pomegranate juice and 3 enemas a day diet.  they all fail eventually because what you do is extreme and non sustainable.  Instead your goal isn't to diet, but to eat healthy.  The best way to do that is to eliminate 1 unhealthy item every 1-3 weeks from your intake.  Again the goal isn't to starve yourself but instead the goal is to learn to have a healthier lifestyle and the weight  loss will follow.  For most people the biggest issue for overweight people are the empty calories from soda, iced tea, and juices.  If this is you, that should be your first healthy lifestyle change and either eliminate it totally, or limit it to no more than 8oz (1 cup) per day.  BTW, diet sodas and drink are garbage that increase your glycemic index and should not be part of a healthy lifestyle.  Again, your goal is healthy and diet drinks are not healthy.  After a few weeks pick another unhealthy eating habit and change that for 1-3 weeks.  Again, this is't about dieting. This is about lifestyle change and making your lifestyle healthier which is your real goal.

3a) Exercise. You need to start burning calories during the day.  Weight loss is a simple math problem.  Burn more calories than you eat, and you will lose weight.  In addition having more muscle mass burns calories at rest which is why weight training is so beneficial.  Not only do you burn calories throwing those weights around, once you are done, because you have more muscle you continue burning  more calories just sitting on your but watching TV. 

3b) The most common mistake people make trying to gain muscle mass is running or biking. Physiologically speaking, running long distance does not burn fat.  It actually burns muscle.  I don't want to get into too much detail unless requested, but you will actually loose muscle mass by jogging or stationary bike riding. It is possible to avoid this by doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training.) Google it.  But the reality is, if you want to build muscle, have a higher basal metabolic rate, you will need to do some type of weight training.  If you want, for the next few months do body weight exercises, walking, and using the stairs every chance you get.  After that you will need to start adding some weights to your regimen.

3c) Which leads me to your excuse for not going to the gym. SMACK....that is me smacking you across the face for giving a damn what a few foreign speaking people have anything to do with you trying to be healthy.  Screw them.  You don't need english to work out.  You need weights and the gym has weights so you need to go to the gym or build a gym at your house like MMM did.  If you need some assistance on how to work out check out this guy. Athlean-x on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A
This guy is a physical trainer, understands anatomy, and muscle function.  He has a ton of great videos on how to work out correctly and he speaks English.  Start off with the following workout schedule:
Day 1 - Chest and triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Day 3 - Cardio (yes, running, biking, swimming, whatever you want and ideally using HIIT training to do it)
Day 4 - Shoulders and stomach
Day 5 - Legs.
Make sure you watch any Athlean-x videos regarding his exercise graveyard. (These are common exercises people like to do, but have a high risk of hurting yourself in the process.)
Also feel free to check out bodybuilding.com which explains many of those exercises as well.

4) It is okay to cheat every now and then.  We are human and sometimes we get lazy or crave something unhealthy.  It is okay to indulge every so often but make sure you do it smart.  If you are going to give in and lets say want candy.  Buy 1 candy bar instead of an entire bag.  Eat the candy bar and be happy.  Again, if you want ice cream, then buy 1 serving and move on.  Don't buy a gallon tub of the stuff.

5) Congratulations again on taking the first step to being healthy.  Keep this thread open and report back or ask questions over the next few months.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:37:17 AM by EnjoyIt »

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
.  The best way to do that is to eliminate 1 unhealthy item every 1-3 weeks from your intake.  Again the goal isn't to starve yourself but instead the goal is to learn to have a healthier diet and the weight  loss will follow.  For most people the biggest issue for overweight people are the empty calories from soda, iced tea, and juices.  If this is you, that should be your first healthy lifestyle change and either eliminate it totally, or limit it to no more than 8oz (1 cup) per day.  BTW, diet sodas and drink are garbage that increase your glycemic index and should not be part of a healthy lifestyle.  Again, your goal is healthy and diet drinks are not healthy.  After a few weeks pick another unhealthy eating habit and change that for 1-3 weeks.  Again, this is't about dieting. This is about lifestyle change and making your lifestyle healthier which is your real goal.

Following "Sober October" I'm now doing "No-Sugar November" right now. I *think* I've invented it. I'm cutting out all desserts and candy and bread and drinks with added sugars... and maple syrup and honey. I know there's more foods with sugar in them but it's MY thing so I don't care. I just want to cut down.

Anyway join me if you want!

BTW purists will say that deprivation isn't the answer. I agree, but these challenges are fun (to me at least), and it's easier to cut back when I know I can do without if I wanted.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:04 AM »
I have never had a weight issue, but pain associated with exercise is one I've struggled with for years and I know how challenging it can be to find exercises that make you feel good, as opposed to causing 'rebound pain'.  I seem to have a fibromyalgia-like pain disorder (or myofascial, it's hard to tell). Plus, I have moderate scoliosis that causes an uneven pelvic girdle.  Many exercise routines would make feel physically better for a few hours, but then rebound pain (NOT delayed onset muscle soreness) would set in and it would feel like every joint and tendon was locked up, grinding and cracking and hurting.  I would feel 100 years old.

Because of this, I have always struggled to establish a regular consistent exercise routine.

When I was younger, and in decent condition from a more active daily life, walking never bothered me much (though running did).  But if I slipped out of shape as I got older, even walking more than 10 minutes at a brisk pace would set off rebound pain later.  So I'd started to avoid even that. It was a terrible spiral.

I finally broke the cycle with swimming, which I've always been good at.  Minimum of 3 times per week for 1.5 years now, and I feel better than in a decade.  It feels great to do in the moment, and doesn't cause 'rebound' pain unless I fail to do several minutes of compensatory stretching immediately afterward (usually in a hot shower) for each muscle group worked. By compensatory, I mean stretching the front and sides of my body extensively b/c most swimming builds and shortens muscles in the front and sides (and most of us desk workers already struggle with that).

Gradually, I built up some basic shoulder/chest and glute conditioning (areas where I was totally deficient).  After about 6 months I was able to start brisk 1-hour walks again, with less rebound pain.  Then I started yoga and body weight exercises to improve the stuff swimming wasn't working (back, quads, etc). 

It has been a lifesaver and an absolute life changer, as far as reducing my pain levels and increasing my mental and physical health.  I'm hoping to gradually transition to weight training soon.  And I realize now I can no longer live somewhere that I can't access a pool year round.

Note: I was a good swimmer to start (competed as a kid), but I tended to suffer from swimmer's shoulder (essentially, repetitive impingement that irritates tendons), and I had to relearn some stroke techniques to fix that.  So make sure you are swimming with proper technique or you could hurt yourself.

Note 2: I suspect if you are just starting from scratch, stationary cycling would also be a pretty good option. Relatively little chance of pain or injury and good cardio buzz. Personally, b/c of my job hunched over a computer, I need things that open up, activate, and stretch my upper body and neck.

Note 3: I also find yoga to be really helpful for light strength conditioning, and it helps with my pain flares as well.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
I do whatever strikes my fancy. Hula hoop, swimming (ok, I can barely swim, I splash around a lot, which burns more calories than efficient swimming), biking, tons of walking and hiking (add in hills and steps if you aren't feeling challenged enough), Zumba, yoga, swing dancing...

I am still fat because I eat too much. I lost about 25 pounds earlier this year with what I called "near keto," but then I tried keto for a few weeks and it messed with my head and I rebounded.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »
i'm not reading through all these posts -- which I'm sure are spectacular -- but has anyone brought up like indoor rock/wall climbing yet?  That would be just kind of amazing all around, right?  Learning new skill, burning fat, it's fun and interesting, and with experience you can start climbing outdoors. 

I'm a formerly gorgeous person who is now mediocre and fat.  I joined that burpee challenge thread.  Burpees are probably good for fatties.

I find myself quite intrigued by this as well, given that I pass the wall every time I go to the pool.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »
My training regimen after any periods of inactivity has to include multiple forms of exercise, or else I end up injuring myself.  I tend to mix up running and biking and climbing, with one absolutely mandatory rest day between workouts for at least the first month.  Doing back to to back workouts is how I incur injuries that prevent me from continuing the workouts.

As I have aged, I have crossed the point where my cardio fitness now improves more rapidly than does my joint fitness.  The first few weeks will be tiring, but eventually I'll get to the point were a workout that feels only moderately taxing will obliterate my knees or ankles if I push too hard.  I've had to modify my workout progressions to account for slowly rebuilding joints and tendons, instead of just rebuilding cardio capacity.  Remember you're training your entire body, not just your aerobic fitness.  You still need aerobic exercise to burn fat but you can't get aerobic exercise if you've hurt yourself, so at this age I now have to increase the workouts much more slowly than my body wants me to.

Go slow, and plan on six months to a year to see measurable results.  I can't train for anything in only three months, the way I used to.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
When I was my most out of shape pre babies, I got back into really good shape starting with the laziest, easiest exercise ever:
https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Pilates-Beginning-Mat-Workout/dp/B00DSBKGYI
This one is so old, it's not offered anymore, but I'm sure there are similar ones.  As I regained my core strength, I added in some biking.  It was such an easy start, because nearly the entire workout is done sitting or lying on the floor.

More recently, after babies, I dug out this, that I had sitting in my closet from a clearance purchase a few years prior:
https://www.amazon.com/Millers-Calorie-Burner-Workout-Kettlebells/dp/B001K3GO60

Again, it's old, but there are similar ones available. This one wasn't as easy to get into, but I did what I could, and then with consistent effort, worked up to doing the entire series of 3 workouts in one session.  This did incredible things for my strength and stamina, and was all achieved with a 5 pound kettlebell.  Later, I added a pilates reformer/rebounder workout on off days, and yoga.  These workouts helped me feel spectacular, but I didn't really lose too much weight until I started tracking food with My Fitness Pal.

ETA:  I also used to dance, but not as much as you.  That's one reason Pilates and Yoga appeal to me so much, though I now find yoga frustrating because it was so much easier for me to do well back when I was a dancer.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:19:09 AM by Milizard »

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
Walk / bike anywhere you can within reason.  If you need groceries (and it isn't a 10 mile one way ride nor do you need to pick up 50 pounds of dog food or a bulk pack of paper towels) either walk or bike.  Going to a restaurant?  Same thing.  I gained 70 pounds after leaving the military and carried it for probably 7 years, but lost it and have kept it off since 2015.  I didn't do it by truly dieting (I still eat whatever I want, had a 1lb german chocolate cake slice yesterday and probably 6 beers), but by changing my lifestyle to incorporate at least 120 minutes of exercise a day, whether walking, biking, hiking or a combination.

My weight fluctuates quite a bit.  Sometimes I weigh 215, other weeks 222, etc... depending on what I eat, how much water I drink, but since I'm active at least 2 hours a day and don't eat to excess on a regular basis it stays in a healthy range. FWIW I am 6'2" and lift weights regularly so 215 is a healthy weight for me.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »
I lost 30 pounds last year through diet and exercise. The #1 key for me was downloading myfitnesspal and tracking EVERYTHING I eat. This is so so so so so important.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 10:21:02 AM »
Calorie restriction is what gets the weight off.  Exercise is good to, but don't think it will loose you weight.  You need to count every single calorie and limit it.  Like clockwork the weight will go away.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Calorie restriction is what gets the weight off. 

Technically I think it's calorie deficits that get the weight off, so a thousand calories of exercise is just as good as reducing a thousand calories if food intake. 

The problem is that a thousand calories of exercise makes me a lot hungrier than not eating a thousand calories of halloween candy.  It's easier to just eat less.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
The key with keeping diet in check is to avoid eating stuff that is packed with calories that doesn't make you feel full.

I can eat 10 mini candy bars no problem.  I will lose steam after like six or seven apples.  If both foods are sitting out on the table though, I'll probably eat the candy bars . . . so I don't buy candy bars.  I buy apples.