Author Topic: Equifax Breech  (Read 36768 times)

Valhalla

• Bristles
Re: Equifax Breech
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »
In our crappy state of Washington, it costs $10 per agency to freeze your credit and the same price to temporarily thaw then refreeze it.  So for my wife and I, it costs $60 to freeze our credit.  During the year if we change car insurance or want to rent a house, apply for a credit card, open a checking account, it costs $20 each time (for joint accounts).

This is probably a major score for Equifax (driving people to freeze their credit and increase Equifax revenues by about $200,000,000 a year at least)

What a complete scam.
How soon until the class action lawsuit?
Good point.  I'm going to google class action lawyers and see if any will take up this case.  I'm sure they will smell money, and hopefully it will results in free credit freezes and better consumer protection.

edit: Some have already beaten us to the punch:   https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wjjv99/class-action-lawyers-say-equifax-cant-prevent-you-from-suing-them

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:28:36 PM by Valhalla »

clash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »
In our crappy state of Washington, it costs $10 per agency to freeze your credit and the same price to temporarily thaw then refreeze it.  So for my wife and I, it costs $60 to freeze our credit.  During the year if we change car insurance or want to rent a house, apply for a credit card, open a checking account, it costs $20 each time (for joint accounts).

This is probably a major score for Equifax (driving people to freeze their credit and increase Equifax revenues by about $200,000,000 a year at least)

What a complete scam.

Ferguson is too busy pushing his own political agenda.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »

What a complete scam.
I believe Equifax will pay for this via a class action lawsuit, and hopefully stronger consumer protections will result.  You still must contact your attorney general, your senators / congressmen, to complain and get them to provide free credit freezes for residents of your state.  You must act loudly and rapidly.

I contacted my local attorney general, senators, and plan to do a lot more phone calls / emails (I also contacted a class action lawyer as well).  This is simply unacceptable state of lax consumer privacy and protection right now. 

The credit agencies are using our data to make money on us, and charging us to protect it.  Simply unacceptable!!

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
So what if you lose your PIN? Looks you can request a replacement, but what information do you need to provide in order to get a replacement, particularly that isn't part of the data hack?
Don't lose your PIN. 

See my thread on ID protection, and how to protect your PIN.

Protect your PIN like it's any other vital information.  I'm sure there's a way to prove your ID and get a new PIN if you lose your PIN, but I'm sure it's a huge hassle.

Bottom line, don't lose your PIN!!  You have other vital information to protect, use that same approach with your PIN.  Put it in an encrypted container in the cloud, print it out and put it in your safe deposit box, home safe, etc.

I place my PIN in the same ultra secure location as my bank account web log-in's, credit card web-log-in's, and any other vital information I need to keep safe and secure.

You need to be responsible for your security.

It is a slow but not especially painful process. My identity was stolen a few years ago and in my panic to freeze my accounts my web browser decided not to render the Experian PDF that contained the PIN. In order to thaw my accounts a year later I had to mail them copies of my drivers' license and social security card, as well as a utility bill. Oh, and like triple the ordinary thaw fee, IIRC.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
So what if you lose your PIN? Looks you can request a replacement, but what information do you need to provide in order to get a replacement, particularly that isn't part of the data hack?
Don't lose your PIN. 

See my thread on ID protection, and how to protect your PIN.

Protect your PIN like it's any other vital information.  I'm sure there's a way to prove your ID and get a new PIN if you lose your PIN, but I'm sure it's a huge hassle.

Bottom line, don't lose your PIN!!  You have other vital information to protect, use that same approach with your PIN.  Put it in an encrypted container in the cloud, print it out and put it in your safe deposit box, home safe, etc.

I place my PIN in the same ultra secure location as my bank account web log-in's, credit card web-log-in's, and any other vital information I need to keep safe and secure.

You need to be responsible for your security.

It is a slow but not especially painful process. My identity was stolen a few years ago and in my panic to freeze my accounts my web browser decided not to render the Experian PDF that contained the PIN. In order to thaw my accounts a year later I had to mail them copies of my drivers' license and social security card, as well as a utility bill. Oh, and like triple the ordinary thaw fee, IIRC.
Good to know.  I had to do that for my relative who was victim of ID theft as well.  Send copies of Driver license, utility bill, etc...

Triple to ordinary thaw fee... ugh... better not to lose it in the first place.  Just a hassle for everyone involved.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Another small victory for crypto technology like Bitcoin and Ethereum. We cannot "trust" a central authority to store information and not release it thru incompetance or greed.

I know from experience working in the IT field for many years, the lowest paid professions in tech are usually the people who handle the hardware and software that stores the data. You would think companies would attract the most compentant (and highly paid) to secure their data, but the majority do not. It is usually the first department that gets cuts, layoffs, outsourcing, etc because they are looked at as a cost center and most people running these companies are not technologically savy so they do not understand the potential future reprocussions. We are going to see this over and over and over again.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »
Anyone else having trouble freezing their accounts? Experian and Equifax were fine, but TransUnion is giving me trouble.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Anyone else having trouble freezing their accounts? Experian and Equifax were fine, but TransUnion is giving me trouble.

TransUnion was giving me trouble earlier in the morning but then I was able to get through around 1pm ET. Just keep trying, I'm sure they're completely slammed right now.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »

Transunion is giving me trouble too.  I'm sure they were not prepared for this kind of volume and their Servers are overwhelmed.  Chances are "the bad guys" won't be doing anything with your data this weekend, so waiting a day or two probably won't hurt..... just don't forget to do it.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
TransUnion is free in NM, I did it over the phone and it only took a few minutes with the automated system. Experian took a bit longer as I had to pay $10+tax for it. Equifax I did via the website and it was very quick. I'll have to have my wife do the same so that's another $20. As someone else stated, pretty shitty that you have to pay for the privilege of restricting access to your personal information that these companies have sucked up and profit from. Perhaps just like having to provide annual free credit reports this will prompt them to start providing freezing/unfreezing for free.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »
I followed Krebs' advice on freezing my credit years ago with the 4 largest credit bureaus. Yes, do all 4, not 3, don't forget about Innovis.  I don't churn cards and very rarely need to do anything that hits the credit reports, so I've had absolutely zero negative impact from doing the freeze.

Just do it!

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »
Another small victory for crypto technology like Bitcoin and Ethereum. We cannot "trust" a central authority to store information and not release it thru incompetance or greed.

I know from experience working in the IT field for many years, the lowest paid professions in tech are usually the people who handle the hardware and software that stores the data. You would think companies would attract the most compentant (and highly paid) to secure their data, but the majority do not. It is usually the first department that gets cuts, layoffs, outsourcing, etc because they are looked at as a cost center and most people running these companies are not technologically savy so they do not understand the potential future reprocussions. We are going to see this over and over and over again.

Uh.  Yeah, because there haven't been issues with security in the cryptocurrency markets... Also kind of weird you're comparing a currency to a bureau that tracks information.  You don't think those guys will start tracking credit issued in cryptocurrencies if that ever becomes a thing?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
I just signed up with a law firm for a class action suit against Equifax.  Well, not so much signed up but just submitted my information and a statement of how we have been affected.   I did mention that it is unconscionable conduct for Equifax to profit off of this by receiving money from people who get scared and decide to pay Equifax to freeze their credit.

I am not holding out much hope (probably easier to get Trump to buy non gold plated furniture than to get a company to give up money).

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
I followed Krebs' advice on freezing my credit years ago with the 4 largest credit bureaus. Yes, do all 4, not 3, don't forget about Innovis.  I don't churn cards and very rarely need to do anything that hits the credit reports, so I've had absolutely zero negative impact from doing the freeze.

Just do it!

Innovis

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

It was free and they said they would mail me a PIN, as did Experian. Equifax I received the PIN in a PDF from the website and TransUnion I setup my own over the phone.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
Here is the link for Washington state Attorney General consumer complaint form:

https://fortress.wa.gov/atg/formhandler/ago/ComplaintForm.aspx

Do not be a sheep and let Equifax get away with collecting millions of dollars in freeze credit fees just because they made you scared with their lax security.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
I hope no one is really expecting anything to come from 143M people suing equifax...  A few dollars each and hopefully much better security/consumer protections when incidents DO happen is all that can come of it.  All that can really be hoped for is them to refund any and all money made from the freezing that is about to happen.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2017, 03:00:26 PM »

Just do it!

Innovis

It was free and they said they would mail me a PIN, as did Experian. Equifax I received the PIN in a PDF from the website and TransUnion I setup my own over the phone.

Who the F is innovis???

So is this going to cost two of us $80 for 2 people now?

Im really pissed about all this.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2017, 03:02:53 PM »
Quote from: Exflyboy link=topic=78795.msg1688898#msg1688898

Who the F is innovis???

Good.  You should be.  Now while you are pissed and motivated, contact your state and let them know you want this changed.

clash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Word online also

"... consumers should hold off on accepting #Equifax credit monitoring — could stop victims from joining class action lawsuits"

And the guy who ran their security department made near $3 million last year
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/equifax-security-exec-john-kelley-earned-2-point-8-million-in-2016.html

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »

Just do it!

Innovis

Who the F is innovis???

Innovis was free to place a security freeze on. There's also a 5th consumer reporting agency that I had never heard of before, PRBC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRBC it looks like they operate differently as they rely on self-reporting things like paying a cell phone bill or rent on time each month for those people that don't have traditional credit accounts.

This just furthers my desire to have no credit score. Unfortunately since saving up $250-300k to buy a house for cash is a bit unrealistic right now I'll be taking out a mortgage at some point so I don't want to cancel all my old unused credit card accounts just yet.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »

Just do it!
Thanks!! At least innovis appears to be free to file credit freeze, as it ought to be for all!!!

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 03:07:58 PM »
Word online also

"... consumers should hold off on accepting #Equifax credit monitoring — could stop victims from joining class action lawsuits"

And the guy who ran their security department made near $3 million last year
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/equifax-security-exec-john-kelley-earned-2-point-8-million-in-2016.html
That's criminal.  He needs to return all of his compensation ASAP.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »

Innovis was free to place a security freeze on. There's also a 5th consumer reporting agency that I had never heard of before, PRBC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRBC it looks like they operate differently as they rely on self-reporting things like paying a cell phone bill or rent on time each month for those people that don't have traditional credit accounts.

This just furthers my desire to have no credit score. Unfortunately since saving up $250-300k to buy a house for cash is a bit unrealistic right now I'll be taking out a mortgage at some point so I don't want to cancel all my old unused credit card accounts just yet.
Good lord. I'm waiting for the news that hackers / criminals in the black market are running a hidden credit scoring business on which consumers have the best credit score and best to commit fraud with.  This whole system is a sham and needs to be rebuilt with security and consumer privacy in mind.  All consumers are out of the loop on this and it's totally unacceptable.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/file-a-consumer-complaint

Here's the link for TX attorney general's office to ask for help getting credit freeze fees waived.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2017, 03:17:35 PM »
You guys actually doing something and posting links so others can try too is bringing a tear to my eye.

Now if only we could get the other 99.99% of the USA to give a damn.  :-(

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2017, 03:26:17 PM »
From this site:

https://mccunewright.com/equifax-data-breach-lawsuit/
McCune Wright Arevalo LLP is currently investigating a lawsuit against Equifax related to its announcement of a data breach impacting over 143 million Americans.  The sensitive information breached includes names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver’s licenses. Additionally, Equifax said that credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. customers were exposed, as was “personal identifying information” on roughly 182,000 U.S. customers involved in credit report disputes.
Looks like credit card numbers are exposed, along with what the hell anything else one can imagine.

Keep an eye on your credit card transactions folks!!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
This really kind of puts a crimp in the credit card and bank account churn thing that is quite popular on MMM.   Because our credit is already frozen (I paid the $30 extortion fee a couple years ago and have paid $70 or so dollars since when I needed thaws) I have not been able to take advantage of these deals.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »
Just froze mine at the Big 3 (and the little 4th).  Cost me $5 per freeze, so $15 total.  I'm not happy that I have to pay to clean up their negligence- and hope legislation and lawsuits that come out of this force the credit agencies to offer this service free to everyone.  Thanks for the tip MMM's!

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »
Logged into Discover today to find out that they offer a free service to check for my social on the dark web as well as let me know of any new accounts being opened up. No idea if this is new or not since I don't log into it that often (I keep track of my credit card on mint.) But does look interesting.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
Logged into Discover today to find out that they offer a free service to check for my social on the dark web as well as let me know of any new accounts being opened up. No idea if this is new or not since I don't log into it that often (I keep track of my credit card on mint.) But does look interesting.
it is fairly new, they also offer the FICO score, which is helpful.

I think credit karma and credit.com offer free monthly credit reports / scores as well.  Citibank / Chase and many other credit card issuers / banks now offer this information, which is helpful.

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
In CA it does not cost anything to place a freeze at each of the three credit bureaus.  While doing so contact each of your existing credit card companies and request new cards to be issued to you so your previous cards are closed.  During the last few years so many large companies and even government agencies were targeted by hackers.  Most people heard of Target, but HomeDepot, Wells Fargo, Intel, Sony, and even the CA DMV, were all successfully penetrated and had sensitive consumer data stolen.  Be proactive fellow Mustachians.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »
Am I foolish for not rushing off to freeze my credit?  I'm mad and want to sue the hell out of these companies instead of reward them with even more money.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
Am I foolish for not rushing off to freeze my credit?  I'm mad and want to sue the hell out of these companies instead of reward them with even more money.
the lawsuit will take years.  I suggest you freeze your credit ASAP.  It's your battle to fight for now.

The sad thing is you are the one who ends up paying for their mistakes.  So only you can protect yourself right now.  Equifax doesn't pay the consequences of losing your most private data...not yet any way.

As I stated above, they make money off of your data, and then you have to pay to protect your data.  It's the biggest scam in the consumer world but what can you do about it right now?  You need to contact your congressmen, attorney general, etc., and make your voice heard loud and clear.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:11:18 PM by Valhalla »

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
None of the three major credit bureaus have ever compensated monetarily customers who filed class actions.  Protect yourself first, then concern yourself with getting in line to collect.  But do not hold your breath.  The credit bureaus do not care whatsoever about your situation or the data breaches.  Your data is their property and while they use PR spin to feign remorse, these companies do not care about the possible negative repercussions caused by their negligence.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
the lawsuit will take years.  I suggest you freeze your credit ASAP.  It's your battle to fight for now.

The sad thing is you are the one who ends up paying for their mistakes.  So only you can protect yourself right now.  Equifax doesn't pay the consequences of losing your most private data...not yet any way.

As I stated above, they make money off of your data, and then you have to pay to protect your data.  It's the biggest scam in the consumer world but what can you do about it right now?  You need to contact your congressmen, attorney general, etc., and make your voice heard loud and clear.

I just submitted a complaint with consumer protection in my State.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Thanks to this thread I just put in freezes with the three major bureaus. For some reason the first one was free and the other two were not. If I had more brain space I would have investigated it further, but with the baby crying and hungry I just got it done. I might be $20 poorer than I should be, but oh well. When it comes to having a newborn around, sometimes you settle for "good enough".

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2017, 05:55:17 PM »
This is probably the 6th or 7th breach I've been of victim of.  Honestly, at this point, I just don't care.  I have credit monitoring for each of the breaches.  I have it through AAA too.  I use Mint so I check on my account regularly and would see if there were any fraudulent purchases.  I monitor my credit score through Mint and can see if something happens where it takes a plunge.  I just can't be bothered to freak out anymore.

^^ That.

Upon notification of yet another breech or leak or loss or whatever-they-call-it-this-time of some or all of my personal data, I sigh, pour a stiff drink, consume said stiff drink, and go on with life.

If my credit score starts taking abnormally (it varies based on how much credit I'm using at any moment - normally zero, sometimes a lot if I'm doing property improvements or helping start a business), I'll look into it.

But the saving grace of this stuff is that using one person's identity or credit card?  Super easy.  Using ten?  Still doable.  Using 143 million or whatever the count is up to now?  Quite, quite difficult.  There's simply no way to scale that kind of identity theft.

I used to care about this stuff.  It's happened so many times (I seriously don't even count anymore) that I've just stopped caring.  The one thing I cared about credit for (getting a mortgage) was at odds with how we ended up purchasing a house, so... just not going to put that much effort into caring anymore.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2017, 06:08:34 PM »
Even though paying these clowns not to share MY data galls me.. I figure its a bit like umbrella insurance.. Yeah I'm rich, so if I hurt someone I'll get sued so no way I can have $25k in bodily injury coverage on your auto policy..

We have $0.5M and will probably get additional $1M umbrella policy.. Which of course is way more expensive.

i.e having money costs money.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
In CA it does not cost anything to place a freeze at each of the three credit bureaus.  While doing so contact each of your existing credit card companies and request new cards to be issued to you so your previous cards are closed.  During the last few years so many large companies and even government agencies were targeted by hackers.  Most people heard of Target, but HomeDepot, Wells Fargo, Intel, Sony, and even the CA DMV, were all successfully penetrated and had sensitive consumer data stolen.  Be proactive fellow Mustachians.

Yesterday I checked Equifax and it isn't free. Only free if you're the "victim of ID theft." So basically after the fact. Requires a police report for confirmation of ID theft.

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/ka137000000DSDyAAO/What-are-the-security-freeze-fees-in-my-state

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2017, 07:26:57 PM »
I sent an email to a writer for a news outlet that they should do a story on how Equifax is profiting from their lax security and data breach by charging customers to freeze their credit.  He said they were already working on this exact story line and angle and to stay tuned.   If they do the story I will post a link.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »
This is probably the 6th or 7th breach I've been of victim of.  Honestly, at this point, I just don't care.  I have credit monitoring for each of the breaches.  I have it through AAA too.  I use Mint so I check on my account regularly and would see if there were any fraudulent purchases.  I monitor my credit score through Mint and can see if something happens where it takes a plunge.  I just can't be bothered to freak out anymore.

^^ That.

Upon notification of yet another breech or leak or loss or whatever-they-call-it-this-time of some or all of my personal data, I sigh, pour a stiff drink, consume said stiff drink, and go on with life.

If my credit score starts taking abnormally (it varies based on how much credit I'm using at any moment - normally zero, sometimes a lot if I'm doing property improvements or helping start a business), I'll look into it.

But the saving grace of this stuff is that using one person's identity or credit card?  Super easy.  Using ten?  Still doable.  Using 143 million or whatever the count is up to now?  Quite, quite difficult.  There's simply no way to scale that kind of identity theft.

I used to care about this stuff.  It's happened so many times (I seriously don't even count anymore) that I've just stopped caring.  The one thing I cared about credit for (getting a mortgage) was at odds with how we ended up purchasing a house, so... just not going to put that much effort into caring anymore.
I guess if you don't mind being a victim of credit fraud then this should be no problem for you.

I've helped a relative through credit fraud and it was no fun.  It's especially inconvenient if you're trying to refinance your mortgage, apply for a new loan, even trying to find a new job and having to do a background check where they find out you're late on accounts you didn't even open.  Trying to get all of that fixed as quickly as possible without impacting whatever you're trying to do is tough, as fixing these things takes weeks, sometimes more. 

The cops don't care about any of this stuff, they will never find the criminals, even as you complete a mountain of paperwork to prove you are who you say, and you didn't open up these alleged accounts.  You are on your own on this. If you don't mind taking the hit, then sure, ignore the advice given here and elsewhere.  Good luck.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
I guess if you don't mind being a victim of credit fraud then this should be no problem for you.

*shrug* Anyone who has enough information to open accounts in my name probably has more than enough data to successfully convince a credit agency that they're me and to unfreeze things.  I was part of the "big one" a few years back that is, literally, a complete history of my life.  From applying for a job I didn't end up taking.

There's also something in my life in process that requires a credit check, so I have to leave it unfrozen for now.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »

*shrug* Anyone who has enough information to open accounts in my name probably has more than enough data to successfully convince a credit agency that they're me and to unfreeze things.  I was part of the "big one" a few years back that is, literally, a complete history of my life.  From applying for a job I didn't end up taking.

There's also something in my life in process that requires a credit check, so I have to leave it unfrozen for now.
They would have to have your PIN to unfreeze your credit quickly.  They could steal your ID and forge papers to pretend to be you, but I doubt any hacker would go through that much work to do that.  It's hard enough to do that with real authentic documents as it is, for someone to go out of their to forge these documents to unfreeze your credit would be a whole 'nother level.

You sound pretty defeatist, that's ok... you're the one who'll be impacted if you don't act.  We all choose our paths in life, the easy or the hard way, or the unnecessarily really hard way.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:08:20 PM by Valhalla »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
*shrug*  Yeah.  As I said, this is probably the 6th or 8th or somethingth time, and this is a lot less data than has been lost from other places.  I'm pretty sure at least one breech included health records, I know I've had my entire life history extracted from somewhere or other... this just doesn't bother me that much anymore.

I may put a freeze in after I'm sure that my credit has been pulled, but... no idea when that will be.

I just don't care that much, and "yet another copy of my identify information floating around" doesn't increase the risk much on top of what's already out there.

BuzzFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Sorry if this was already answered...If I freeze my credit, can I no longer churn cards for travel rewards? I do check Personal Capital every few days, so is that enough?

Tdub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »

Yesterday I checked Equifax and it isn't free. Only free if you're the "victim of ID theft." So basically after the fact. Requires a police report for confirmation of ID theft.

https://help.equifax.com/s/article/ka137000000DSDyAAO/What-are-the-security-freeze-fees-in-my-state

I am in CA.  Just froze my accounts a few minutes ago - cost me $10 each for experian and transunion, but equifax did not charge me.  I'm guessing they realized it'd be a bad idea...

Also froze Innovis, the 4th (little known) credit bureau.  That was free.

clash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
Sorry if this was already answered...If I freeze my credit, can I no longer churn cards for travel rewards? I do check Personal Capital every few days, so is that enough?

The freeze lets you be proactive, whereas monitoring is reactive (when something does happen)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
Is there a way to demand a complete delete of your data at the credit bureaus?

Got the house, minimal credit cards, what do I need those MF for?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »
Is there a way to demand a complete delete of your data at the credit bureaus?

Got the house, minimal credit cards, what do I need those MF for?

If you get rid of all credit, i.e. close all credit card accounts and payoff your mortgage then after a few years you will have no credit score. However, I don't think there's anyways to keep these companies from collecting your information. Not to mention the myriad other companies that collect your information from other sources (marketing firms, etc.)