Author Topic: Equifax Breech  (Read 36767 times)

Goldilocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Equifax Breech
« on: September 08, 2017, 07:58:01 AM »
Pretty new and young here, so I'm looking to people more experienced for information.

What will you be doing about this? Any advice or things to watch out for?

Thanks!

jjandjab

• Stubble
Re: Equifax Breech
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »
This is definitely going to be interesting. The sad fact is unless you somehow operate completely outside of the financial system, which is essentially impossible, the "Big Three" credit bureaus keep some or all of your important information.

And it is laughable that the only thing they are doing is offering a free year of their credit monitoring service, as if I am going to instantly trust that it works properly...

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
Not to mention these guys just have to sit and wait a year and lull people into a false sense of security...

Posting to follow.  Any advice for people who might have been affected?  Since this community probably has more investments/savings/better credit than most, I'm curious what others are doing?

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:19 AM »
I am thinking of "freezing" my credit access. I don't have anything that I need to sign up for in terms of credit and no huge purchases in the coming future. But I have to research how that is done and make sure not too onerous. Be curious if anyone else out there has done this?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Posting to follow. I'm worried about this.

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Just researching my options in my home state - this article from 2015 seems to sum it up pretty well. Wish I had read it back then. The credit monitoring service they are offering only helps after the fact...

http://www.masspirg.org/news/maf/new-report-consumers-should-get-security-freezes-next-data-breach

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:33 AM »
I am thinking of "freezing" my credit access. I don't have anything that I need to sign up for in terms of credit and no huge purchases in the coming future. But I have to research how that is done and make sure not too onerous. Be curious if anyone else out there has done this?

It's supposed to be pretty straightforward, though they are allowed to charge you money for that "service" in some states. If that is the case, apparently the fee can be waived if you get a police report for identity theft. See:
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ysxxf/how_to_tell_if_you_got_equifaxd_and_what_to_do/

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
PTF

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
I froze our credit two years ago after my information was stolen and used to file a return for a fake tax refund.  Since that time, our data has been breached at least one other time, if not more (that we know about).  While resolving my issue two years ago I talked with our State Attorney General's office, and freezing your credit (which in effect takes your credit report out of circulation unless or until you release it) is probably your best option.  Even at the Attorney General's office they pretty much say it's not a matter of "if" you'll get hacked, it's "when."

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I froze our credit two years ago after my information was stolen and used to file a return for a fake tax refund.  Since that time, our data has been breached at least one other time, if not more (that we know about).  While resolving my issue two years ago I talked with our State Attorney General's office, and freezing your credit (which in effect takes your credit report out of circulation unless or until you release it) is probably your best option.  Even at the Attorney General's office they pretty much say it's not a matter of "if" you'll get hacked, it's "when."

I'm thinking of freezing my credit, but does this also affect things like an apartment complex looking up your credit history? I highly doubt I will be taking any loans out, but I may rent a new place in a year. How long does it take to make changes (freeze/unfreeze)?

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
This is probably the 6th or 7th breach I've been of victim of.  Honestly, at this point, I just don't care.  I have credit monitoring for each of the breaches.  I have it through AAA too.  I use Mint so I check on my account regularly and would see if there were any fraudulent purchases.  I monitor my credit score through Mint and can see if something happens where it takes a plunge.  I just can't be bothered to freak out anymore. 

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
Found this going around the internet. I've looked at most of it and it looks legit as far as I can tell. We can use this thread to finish fact checking it and make any updates.

Read this whole post before you take any action.

Go here: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ and click on the "Potential Impact" link on the bottom left to see if you've been affected. It'll ask for your last name and the last 6 digits of your social security number.

If so, you'll be given a link and an enrollment date for a year of identify theft protection on Equifax's dime.

Be aware though, if you take this offer, you waive your right so sue them or participate (or receive an award from) a class action lawsuit.

https://trustedidpremier.com/static/terms

“By consenting to submit Your Claims to arbitration, You will be forfeiting Your right to bring or participate in any class action (whether as a named plaintiff or a class member) or to share in any class action awards, including class claims where a class has not yet been certified, even if the facts and circumstances upon which the Claims are based already occurred or existed.”

Also - this free credit monitoring is only for 1 year. After that you will be charged for continued monitoring. Since the breach most likely included not only your SSN but other identifying information, there is no need for the thieves to use this data in 1 year. Or 5 years. You will be at risk from this breach for a long, long time.

Note that this is not a service to repair your credit should your identity be stolen - this is only a monitoring service, which will not stop identity fraud.

What many experts are now advising is to put a freeze on your credit. Here’s how to do this at all 3 bureaus.

Information on how to freeze with all 3 agencies.
https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp
https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze
https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

It will cost you $5-$10 per freeze, and you will be provided with a PIN to unfreeze your credit should you want someone to pull it (say you’re applying for a mortgage, buying a car, and so on).

You can also put a fraud alert on your accounts for 90 days: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert

Yes, I've checked Snopes, no this isn't a hoax, yes it really sucks for anyone affected. If you have been affected, keep a damned close eye on your credit reports.

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »
Does freezing your credit disable your existing credit cards? 

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Does freezing your credit disable your existing credit cards?

Nope. It stops agencies from pulling your credit to determine if it would be favorable to open a new account, loan you money, let you rent, etc. Existing things should be fine.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
In for the follow

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
I love how Equifax set up a separate web site, just like a phisher would do. If you're worried, start from equifax.com, they have a link on their front page.

I'm going to pull a free credit report (it's been over a year for me) to check for any suspicious activity, and freeze my credit. The FTC has pages on doing both of those things:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs#place

Freezing your credit means that people can't pull your credit report (renting an apartment, signing up for utilities, getting a car loan or new card). It has no affect on your current accounts. When you get a freeze, the agencies will send you a PIN so that you can unfreeze and refreeze at will if you need to let someone pull your report.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
So I freeze my credit, it's like an on-off switch? Like any time I want to apply for new credit (or something that requires a report, like an apartment), I just unfreeze it, apply for credit, and then re-freeze it?

If we've been effected, we'd basically have to do this for the rest of our lives, right?

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
Since I very rarely have to have my credit pulled, and it said I was affected, I froze my credit. Time will tell how big of a hassle this will be, I suppose!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

After the third hack in a year (we got hit hard with the insurance company / Anthem hack), we finally decided to freeze our credit for 3 years.

It's been fine.  It was a pain when we decided to refinance the house (had to unfreeze and refreeze).

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
So I freeze my credit, it's like an on-off switch? Like any time I want to apply for new credit (or something that requires a report, like an apartment), I just unfreeze it, apply for credit, and then re-freeze it?

If we've been effected, we'd basically have to do this for the rest of our lives, right?
yes, it only takes minutes to do and extremely easy.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »

All three major credit bureaus let you do a temporary global lift which let anyone access your report for up to 30 days, then automatically refreezes. Typically this will be half the cost of doing a unfreeze then refreeze cycle.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
JUST DO IT.

I've done this several years ago and it was a little bit of a hassle, but no more than applying for a credit card or something.  Unlocking your credit takes minutes and can be done online. 

People are lazy, and the vast majority will ignore this advice, to their detriment.

I've warned all of my friends / family to do this, and I suspect very few of them have actually done this.  It's a shame.  It will cause a ton more work when they do get affected by ID theft.   

I can't imagine NOT having my credit locked...it's that great!

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
The credit agencies should be required, by law, to provide continuous access to your own data, controls to provide/prevent access by others, and monitoring services free of charge. And that's my opinion even sans their inability to keep our confidential information... confidential.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:07:02 PM by MilesTeg »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
The credit agencies should be required, by law, to provide continuous access to your own data and monitoring services free of charge. And that's my opinion even sans their inability to keep our confidential information... confidential.
Agree 10000%.

Not only that, freezing your credit should be free as well.  I paid money to freeze my credit, and unfreeze it a few times, it was a small price to pay for peace of mind, but it should be free!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Do you have to pay again every time you want to unlock your credit?

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
The credit agencies should be required, by law, to provide continuous access to your own data and monitoring services free of charge. And that's my opinion even sans their inability to keep our confidential information... confidential.
Agree 10000%.

Not only that, freezing your credit should be free as well.  I paid money to freeze my credit, and unfreeze it a few times, it was a small price to pay for peace of mind, but it should be free!!

hah, jinx (I edited while you were replying, heh)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »
I just froze my credit and it was free for all three. Took about 2 minutes each.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Do you have to pay again every time you want to unlock your credit?
Yes, about $5, but cheap price to pay.  Unless you are a victim of ID theft in which case it would be totally free. I suggest you freeze your credit BEFORE you become a victim... it's not fun to fight ID theft.

I used to pay monthly credit monitoring which is far more expensive than unlocking my credit every once in a great while.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »
I just froze my credit and it was free for all three. Took about 2 minutes each.
What? How? Is this new?

EDIT - you may live in one of 9 states where freezing credit is free:  http://blog.credit.com/2015/12/9-states-that-let-you-freeze-your-credit-for-free-132672/

EDIT 2:  it looks like you're in North Carolina:  7. North Carolina

Requesting a security freeze online is free, but requesting a freeze by phone or mail costs $3 with Equifax or TransUnion. “Experian elects to not charge a fee for North Carolina consumers regardless of contact method,” wrote Kristine Snyder, an Experian spokeswoman, by email.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:13:22 PM by Valhalla »

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
I haven't looked at my full credit report in over a year (only credit score through credit karma/sesame and my CC platforms). Should I run a full credit report from the bureaus first before freezing my credit?

Being at work right now, I was thinking of doing all that tonight or this weekend.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »
What? How? Is this new?

EDIT - you may live in one of 9 states where freezing credit is free:  http://blog.credit.com/2015/12/9-states-that-let-you-freeze-your-credit-for-free-132672/

EDIT 2:  it looks like you're in North Carolina:  7. North Carolina

Requesting a security freeze online is free, but requesting a freeze by phone or mail costs $3 with Equifax or TransUnion. “Experian elects to not charge a fee for North Carolina consumers regardless of contact method,” wrote Kristine Snyder, an Experian spokeswoman, by email.

Interesting! Had no idea. I'm actually moving to South Carolina tomorrow, which is also free. I wonder if I have to redo it? Maybe I should have waited a day but I doubt it matters.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
All three major credit bureaus let you do a temporary global lift which let anyone access your report for up to 30 days, then automatically refreezes. Typically this will be half the cost of doing a unfreeze then refreeze cycle.

I suppose this temporary global lift is easy to find on their websites?

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »
I haven't looked at my full credit report in over a year (only credit score through credit karma/sesame and my CC platforms). Should I run a full credit report from the bureaus first before freezing my credit?

Being at work right now, I was thinking of doing all that tonight or this weekend.
you can run your credit report at any time.
 I also get my credit scores via my credit cards, like Discover card, citibank, etc...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:19:51 PM by Valhalla »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

I suppose this temporary global lift is easy to find on their websites?
Extremely easy. Google it.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »
 I also get my credit scores via my credit cards, like Discover card, citibank, etc...

Ok great, so in other words, even after you freeze your credit, you can still request a report?

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 12:26:33 PM »
Could a mod make this a sticky for a while?

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »

Ok great, so in other words, even after you freeze your credit, you can still request a report?
Yes, it only prevents others from running your credit for the purposes of opening new credit lines.  Google this and you'll see more details.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
Can someone explain what freezing your credit will do, and, perhaps more importantly, what it won't do? Assuming you're not planning any large purchases or opening any new credit lines, does it not affect your day to day life? Other than your credit, what else do we need to be on the look out for with regards to identity theft?

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
Can someone explain what freezing your credit will do, and, perhaps more importantly, what it won't do? Assuming you're not planning any large purchases or opening any new credit lines, does it not affect your day to day life? Other than your credit, what else do we need to be on the look out for with regards to identity theft?
Tons of info out there, read this:  http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/

I also put together a cheat sheet / guide on how to protect your credit and ID:   https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/freezing-your-credit-and-a-half-dozen-other-tips-to-protect-your-identity/

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 12:45:56 PM »
Could a mod make this a sticky for a while?
I've put a cheat sheet on how to protect yourself:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/freezing-your-credit-and-a-half-dozen-other-tips-to-protect-your-identity/

It incorporates the key information from this thread and all of my other tips as well, based on my experiences helping a victim of credit fraud fight the scammers and protect themselves.

clash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
The whole thing is such a shit show.

Equifax website has been mostly down this morning.  I froze credit on all 3 this morning.  Took about 10 minutes each as load times were longer (everyone and their mother is doing a freeze seems like).

Tried the free annual credit report offered by Uncle Sam and only 1 worked; others did not generate.

Where is Congress!?! How is this not a national security issue? Hope they're put out of business and exces get jail time.

Good read:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/breach-at-equifax-may-impact-143m-americans/

Freeze 101
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-the-security-freeze/

clash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
This will also have a huge impact during tax filing time; imagine all the fake filings.  A credit freeze won't stop that; the recommendation of filing early is BS.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
The whole thing is such a shit show.

Equifax website has been mostly down this morning.  I froze credit on all 3 this morning.  Took about 10 minutes each as load times were longer (everyone and their mother is doing a freeze seems like).

Tried the free annual credit report offered by Uncle Sam and only 1 worked; others did not generate.

Where is Congress!?! How is this not a national security issue? Hope they're put out of business and exces get jail time.

Good read:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/breach-at-equifax-may-impact-143m-americans/

Freeze 101
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/06/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-embrace-the-security-freeze/
Blame lobbyists.  They line the pockets of congress to provide easy credit for the consumerism society we live in.  This is absolutely a ridiculously lax system, just like the caller ID system that allows tons of scam phone calls.  They were NEVER designed with security in mind, and we as consumers get to pay for it now.

Those running the asylum have gotten away with it until now. It's time they are held responsible for this mess!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:55:37 PM by Valhalla »

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
This will also have a huge impact during tax filing time; imagine all the fake filings.  A credit freeze won't stop that; the recommendation of filing early is BS.
My post on how to protect yourself includes tips on tax protection:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/freezing-your-credit-and-a-half-dozen-other-tips-to-protect-your-identity/

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
In our crappy state of Washington, it costs $10 per agency to freeze your credit and the same price to temporarily thaw then refreeze it.  So for my wife and I, it costs $60 to freeze our credit.  During the year if we change car insurance or want to rent a house, apply for a credit card, open a checking account, it costs $20 each time (for joint accounts).

This is probably a major score for Equifax (driving people to freeze their credit and increase Equifax revenues by about $200,000,000 a year at least)

What a complete scam.

El Gringo

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
So what if you lose your PIN? Looks you can request a replacement, but what information do you need to provide in order to get a replacement, particularly that isn't part of the data hack?

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »
So what if you lose your PIN? Looks you can request a replacement, but what information do you need to provide in order to get a replacement, particularly that isn't part of the data hack?
Don't lose your PIN. 

See my thread on ID protection, and how to protect your PIN.

Protect your PIN like it's any other vital information.  I'm sure there's a way to prove your ID and get a new PIN if you lose your PIN, but I'm sure it's a huge hassle.

Bottom line, don't lose your PIN!!  You have other vital information to protect, use that same approach with your PIN.  Put it in an encrypted container in the cloud, print it out and put it in your safe deposit box, home safe, etc.

I place my PIN in the same ultra secure location as my bank account web log-in's, credit card web-log-in's, and any other vital information I need to keep safe and secure.

You need to be responsible for your security.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
well, at least it was only financial information that was stolen, not medical info from the hospital or insurance...oh wait.

Valhalla

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
well, at least it was only financial information that was stolen, not medical info from the hospital or insurance...oh wait.
My health care data was hacked via the Anthem theft in 2015.

Anyone who lives under the illusion that their data is safe and secure is delusional.  Protect yourself now. Read my thread on how to protect yourself:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/freezing-your-credit-and-a-half-dozen-other-tips-to-protect-your-identity/

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
In our crappy state of Washington, it costs $10 per agency to freeze your credit and the same price to temporarily thaw then refreeze it.  So for my wife and I, it costs $60 to freeze our credit.  During the year if we change car insurance or want to rent a house, apply for a credit card, open a checking account, it costs $20 each time (for joint accounts).

This is probably a major score for Equifax (driving people to freeze their credit and increase Equifax revenues by about $200,000,000 a year at least)

What a complete scam.
How soon until the class action lawsuit?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!