Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 2798258 times)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #750 on: November 25, 2015, 11:47:28 AM »
We have a new "health and well-being" initiative at my company...there are signs up all over the place recommending we take the stairs instead of the elevator, more of those anti-germ handwash things installed at the top and bottom of all stairways.  They have also put up signs at the top and bottom of the stairways saying you "must" use the handrails.  I get personal safety and the potential company liability, but the word "must" goes beyond my limits of reasonableness.  I'm thinking about using that as the reason for my leaving.  Not particularly epic, but the last few posts here reminded me of it.

(Real reason is FU/FIRE money plus dissatisfaction with management.)

Haha do it, don't tell them the 'must' bothers you, just that you don't like using handrails so you can't work there anymore.

'why are you leaving?'
'i don't like using handrails on stairs'
'so don't...'
'but i must, the signs say so, so I have no choice but to leave'

Then see if you can convince them to take the signs down.  Then leave.

And report back if you do!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: November 25, 2015, 12:02:14 PM »
We have a new "health and well-being" initiative at my company...there are signs up all over the place recommending we take the stairs instead of the elevator, more of those anti-germ handwash things installed at the top and bottom of all stairways.  They have also put up signs at the top and bottom of the stairways saying you "must" use the handrails.  I get personal safety and the potential company liability, but the word "must" goes beyond my limits of reasonableness.  I'm thinking about using that as the reason for my leaving.  Not particularly epic, but the last few posts here reminded me of it.

Oh, gawd, those health initiatives. Combined with a few people who always get SUPER enthusiastic and who start browbeating everyone else over it. Ugh.

From the asshats at my last office:

"Take the stairs! It's healthier!" No. It's 8am, I don't have the enthusiasm, and the physio appointments have only slightly helped with my hip pain and NO I don't wanna discuss my health with you.

"Are you eating THAT? It's not healthy!" No, it's not healthy, but I am 5 weeks pregnant, nauseous as hell, and am likely to puke on your shoes if I have to smell what you're eating. Right at that moment, crackers, pickles, and blueberries are what stayed down, so that was lunch. Forgive me if I didn't discuss the details of my reproductive and digestive system with the lunch police.

Something about encouraging a lack of boundaries in the workplace just never seems to end well.

The actual reason I left: my boss yelled at me for not wearing heels to a conference where I had to stand up all day, while 8 months pregnant and the approximate size of a small house. Bite me, I quit.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »

Oh, gawd, those health initiatives. Combined with a few people who always get SUPER enthusiastic and who start browbeating everyone else over it. Ugh.

"Take the stairs! It's healthier!" No. It's 8am, I don't have the enthusiasm, and the physio appointments have only slightly helped with my hip pain and NO I don't wanna discuss my health with you.

"Are you eating THAT? It's not healthy!" No, it's not healthy, but I am 5 weeks pregnant, nauseous as hell, and am likely to puke on your shoes if I have to smell what you're eating. Right at that moment, crackers, pickles, and blueberries are what stayed down, so that was lunch. Forgive me if I didn't discuss the details of my reproductive and digestive system with the lunch police.

Something about encouraging a lack of boundaries in the workplace just never seems to end well.

The actual reason I left: my boss yelled at me for not wearing heels to a conference where I had to stand up all day, while 8 months pregnant and the approximate size of a small house. Bite me, I quit.

HO-LEE FUCK! That's not acceptable behavior by your boss in my world, EVEN IF you weren't a single one of the things you listed.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: November 25, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »

HO-LEE FUCK! That's not acceptable behavior by your boss in my world, EVEN IF you weren't a single one of the things you listed.

Actually, I think that might fall into the realm of sexual harassment.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #754 on: November 25, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »

It certainly isn't reasonable workplace accommodation for a pregnant employee.  I'm very sorry this happened to you.  :(

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #755 on: November 25, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »

It certainly isn't reasonable workplace accommodation for a pregnant employee.  I'm very sorry this happened to you.  :(

FTFY.

There is a difference in saying that you need to dress professionally, and you need to wear heels.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #756 on: November 25, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »

Haha do it, don't tell them the 'must' bothers you, just that you don't like using handrails so you can't work there anymore.

'why are you leaving?'
'i don't like using handrails on stairs'
'so don't...'
'but i must, the signs say so, so I have no choice but to leave'

Then see if you can convince them to take the signs down.  Then leave.

And report back if you do!

Funnier.  And tempting.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #757 on: November 25, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
Today Mr. Mandalay reminded me of how I left my job prior to this one.

I was in upper echelon customer service for an entertainment company.  I loved the job, I loved my supervisor, and my coworkers were awesome.  However, my supervisor was involved in a very serious car accident and wouldn't be back for months while he was recuperating.  The powers that be did a little shuffling, and so Felicia came to preside over the group.

Felicia was the living embodiment of Dolores Umbridge.  She was all smiles and sweet voice, but she remains the nastiest person it's ever been my misfortune to know.  My group had heard horror stories about her for ages, and now we started to live them.  She wrote people up for the stupidest shit.  How stupid?  Try coming back from lunch 75 SECONDS late (yes, she counted).  Laughing while talking with customers ("you really must be more professional, dear"--this was me BTW).  She wrote one woman up for combing her hair at her desk.  And then of course the "dear."  There were regular outbursts of "Are you KIDDING me?!?!?!" coming over her cube wall.  And God, she nitpicked EVERYTHING, but management backed her up without question.  After roughly a month I didn't know whether I was going to go suicidal or homicidal, even though unlike my coworkers I'd only been written up once.  After Mr. Mandalay heard me coming in from work, slamming my purse on the counter and screaming "GAAAAAH FUCKING FELICIA!!!!" for the twentieth time he said over dinner "if you're that fucking miserable, quit.  We've got enough saved, we'll be okay for a while."

I was still nervous, so I vowed to myself that Felicia would have to do something heinous before I'd pull the trigger.  I only had to wait three days.  Felicia wrote me up for "dressing inappropriately."  This was a call center, so we could wear what we wanted as long as it was clean and in good taste.  I am the most conservative dresser on the planet.  The "inappropriate" garment in question was a University of Virginia sweatshirt.

Why did Felicia find it offensive?

She went to Virginia Tech.

I am TOTALLY not kidding. 

I stood up, ripped up the form and said "I quit."

"Dear, I don't think you can afford to quit," Felicia said.

I still remember beaming and saying "Actually, Felicia, I can" and the stunned look on her face as I left her cube.

I heard later on that Felicia ended up getting transferred to the Kansas City branch of the company.  I wonder how many people she wrote up for wearing Jayhawks shirts ...

The only thing that would have made it better is if you had fired back some southern sass at her 'dear'ing you. A little "oh, sweetie, bless your heart, but I think I can afford to quit. Toodle ooh" said in a way that sounds sweet, but really tells her ' go F yourself PEACE OUT!'

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #758 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
Today Mr. Mandalay reminded me of how I left my job prior to this one.

I was in upper echelon customer service for an entertainment company.  I loved the job, I loved my supervisor, and my coworkers were awesome.  However, my supervisor was involved in a very serious car accident and wouldn't be back for months while he was recuperating.  The powers that be did a little shuffling, and so Felicia came to preside over the group.

Felicia was the living embodiment of Dolores Umbridge.  She was all smiles and sweet voice, but she remains the nastiest person it's ever been my misfortune to know.  My group had heard horror stories about her for ages, and now we started to live them.  She wrote people up for the stupidest shit.  How stupid?  Try coming back from lunch 75 SECONDS late (yes, she counted).  Laughing while talking with customers ("you really must be more professional, dear"--this was me BTW).  She wrote one woman up for combing her hair at her desk.  And then of course the "dear."  There were regular outbursts of "Are you KIDDING me?!?!?!" coming over her cube wall.  And God, she nitpicked EVERYTHING, but management backed her up without question.  After roughly a month I didn't know whether I was going to go suicidal or homicidal, even though unlike my coworkers I'd only been written up once.  After Mr. Mandalay heard me coming in from work, slamming my purse on the counter and screaming "GAAAAAH FUCKING FELICIA!!!!" for the twentieth time he said over dinner "if you're that fucking miserable, quit.  We've got enough saved, we'll be okay for a while."

I was still nervous, so I vowed to myself that Felicia would have to do something heinous before I'd pull the trigger.  I only had to wait three days.  Felicia wrote me up for "dressing inappropriately."  This was a call center, so we could wear what we wanted as long as it was clean and in good taste.  I am the most conservative dresser on the planet.  The "inappropriate" garment in question was a University of Virginia sweatshirt.

I still remember beaming and saying "Actually, Felicia, I can" and the stunned look on her face as I left her cube.

I heard later on that Felicia ended up getting transferred to the Kansas City branch of the company.  I wonder how many people she wrote up for wearing Jayhawks shirts ...

The only thing that would have made it better is if you had fired back some southern sass at her 'dear'ing you. A little "oh, sweetie, bless your heart, but I think I can afford to quit. Toodle ooh" said in a way that sounds sweet, but really tells her ' go F yourself PEACE OUT!'

Beautiful! Although I would have ended it with "Bye Felicia" as I was walking out the door, but that's just me.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: November 25, 2015, 07:46:12 PM »
...The "inappropriate" garment in question was a University of Virginia sweatshirt.

Tell her that the company was paying you a special U of Virginia bonus

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #760 on: November 26, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
My buddy told a story at Thanksgiving about a coworker who quit by taking a dump on his boss's keyboard and leaving a note.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: November 30, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
Long time lurker first time poster:

My FU money story:  New management took over, and my role became more and more demanding.  They would consistently keep pushing me and my team to do things I did not agree with and I did not feel was the right path to getting the job done. They never stepped foot in our area and didn't understand the dynamics of our facility.  I would write long emails and have discussions with my managers in regards to a better way to accomplish our goals, they would get completely ignored, and they continued to push their own agendas. This just kept leading to more and more stress, frustration, and dissatisfaction in my job.  Eventually I decided something needs to change. I have plenty of FU money and at this point did not care if I lost my job or not. I set up a meeting with my managers, told them that they need to listen to their employees, the ones who are actually working in the field and know how to get the job done and that they need to stop ignoring me. If this is not something that they are willing to do, then they should stop wasting my and their time, let me know and I will hand in my resignation. Since then, they have taken my recommendations, our team is more successful than ever, and my job is much more satisfying. Even my managers look good due to our recent success.

jlajr

• Stubble
« Reply #762 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:12 PM »
...Since then, they have taken my recommendations, our team is more successful than ever, and my job is much more satisfying. Even my managers look good due to our recent success.

Shit, I wish my managers would have reacted the same way as your managers did.

Two of my managers have basically told me if I don't like the way they are (mis)managing me and my team, "The door's always open".

While I have some FU money, I have for the past few months chosen to not resign and spend any of that FU money, endure the frustration and dissatisfaction, and look for other opportunities. Unfortunately, any other opportunity in my profession involves moving, and I'd rather not do that either. The proverbial rock and a hard place. On the other hand, any other opportunity in my field would also likely involve a significantly higher salary, so there's that...

I've basically decided to stop actively looking for another opportunity. I think I'll wait six months or a year, take a nice long vacation, resign, resume looking for another opportunity, and move, either with a new job or not.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:34 AM »

Despite the fact that I've lived in the south for twenty years my Jersey blood doesn't allow me to do sass.  :D  And what makes the whole thing hilarious is that I didn't even GO to UVA.  If I'd worn my William & Mary shirt she might have thought me an elitist, ha hah.  I see the college rivalry in my own family (Florida vs. Florida State) and mock everyone for taking it so seriously ...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »

Despite the fact that I've lived in the south for twenty years my Jersey blood doesn't allow me to do sass.  :D  And what makes the whole thing hilarious is that I didn't even GO to UVA.  If I'd worn my William & Mary shirt she might have thought me an elitist, ha hah.  I see the college rivalry in my own family (Florida vs. Florida State) and mock everyone for taking it so seriously ...

Mom went to W&M law school. Speaking of college rivalries, I went to the university that's part of The Rivalry.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #765 on: December 01, 2015, 09:45:56 AM »

Mom went to W&M law school. Speaking of college rivalries, I went to the university that's part of The Rivalry.

Ohio State?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #766 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »

Ohio State?
Lehigh University (the other side is Lafayette College). It's the only football rivalry called The Rivalry.

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #767 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »

Ohio State?
Lehigh University (the other side is Lafayette College). It's the only football rivalry called The Rivalry.

Yeah, I was just joking (though, no, I didn't know for sure what rivalry you were talking about).

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #768 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »

If he moves me anyway, when I resign next spring, I will tell him that it was because he moved my office just to mess with him...

Nice. made me chuckle.

Not an FU story but on a similar theme when I quit the last job I had I told them it was because they hired another British person (I live in the US). I'd been looking for another job for a while and it was just pure coincidence that the day I planned on handing in my notice HR is introducing this other British expat on his first day. Purely for shits and giggles when I handed my notice in to my boss that afternoon when he got in the office I told him it was because they hired another British person and that was my thing here in the company. They even went as far as saying they'd let the other guy go and which point I told them the fact they'd even thought about brining in another British person in was enough and I felt hurt and was obviously not fulfilling the token British guy role adequately (plus I did not want the new guy to lose his job here as I was leaving anyhow). Worked my notice and left, to this day they think that is the reason I left!

Ha!!

I might try something similar when I quit but tell them that I'm sick of one person in the office trying to do a British accent and I can't take it anymore. Sadly I have a year to wait.

NorcalBlue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #769 on: December 02, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »
delete
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:33:41 AM by esummers »

lcerrito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #770 on: December 02, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
Not a particularly extravagant FU Story, but more of a quiet (yet immensely satisfying) one. Sorry for the length!

I worked as an apparel designer for the last five years at a large clothing retailer located in the Midwest. Last January, the brand decides that it wants to be like all the other fashion brands and have fancy-pants NYC designers. They laid off the Wear-to-Work (dressier clothes) half  of the design team, but asked them to stay for three months while they found their NYC replacements. Whether they truly thought that geographical location was relative to talent or they simply didn't want to pay relocation costs to the Midwestern designers, I don't know. We were told that the Casual half would be staying in the Midwest. I, being a very cynical person, didn't believe a word they said.

On top of that, my new (NYC based) VP who I reported directly to, was a complete and total sociopath. I don't use that term lightly or in ignorance. She genuinely was. On top of that, she was an HR nightmare and a walking litigation. She told me to tell my assistant to wear more makeup, that I needed to wear lipstick, dress in designer clothing, etc. Our company handbook only says that we can't wear bike shorts, rubber flip flops, or inappropriately fitting clothing. There was bullying, fat shaming, calling other employees "mentally ill" and "stupid." She would constantly contradict herself and blame all of her mistakes on other people's supposed ignorance.

I quietly documented every single statement. I met with HR periodically, which was useless since she was the new golden child, so I quietly documented those meetings as well. I updated my resume and started reaching out to my contacts and advised my team to do the same.

Fast forward ten very stress and anger filled months and I was told my position was being eliminated along with the rest of the remaining design team, but that (in a very cheerful voice) "We'd like to extend your employment for another four months!" They had not hired a single new person in NYC for my department yet. I had anticipated this layoff (they put 10 minute meetings in succession on everyone's calendar the day before... stupid.) and brought all my documentation. I asked if it would be easier to negotiate my severance now or later when the legal documents had been drafted. The HR lady replied, "I don't think there is any room for negotiation."

I pushed the stack of documentation toward her, and replied, "Actually, I think there is." That moment still gives me a thrill, lol.

Needless to say, her face went white, my severance amount was greatly increased, and a legal investigation was initiated against my boss.

Less than two weeks later, my entire team and I turned in our resignation letters all at the same time and walked out of the building with big fat severance checks and job offers from other companies. Almost a month later and they still have not found replacements for my team, and they are panicking. I guess they thought all fashion designers were dumb ding-dongs who would meekly stay for four months while they found our replacements. In fairness, there ARE several designers in my company with debt/no FU money who are doing just that.

Not my team. My team all had FU money saved up, and we ended up not even needing it. I got a job offer four hours after I interviewed. It seems not every company thinks geographical location is directly related to intelligence and talent.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #771 on: December 02, 2015, 07:22:22 AM »
Not a particularly extravagant FU Story, but more of a quiet (yet immensely satisfying) one. Sorry for the length!

You may not think that's extravagant, but I certainly do! Very cool the way you handled it.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #772 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
  "asked if it would be easier to negotiate my severance now or later when the legal documents had been drafted. The HR lady replied, "I don't think there is any room for negotiation."

I pushed the stack of documentation toward her, and replied, "Actually, I think there is." That moment still gives me a thrill, lol.

Needless to say, her face went white, my severance amount was greatly increased, and a legal investigation was initiated against my boss."

Lcerrito - my god that must have felt SO GOOD! So glad that you and your team were in a position to stick up for yourselves!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #773 on: December 02, 2015, 08:04:25 AM »
How did you turn in resignation letters and get severance?  Basically hush money to sign a "I won't sue" document, not really severance?  I was anticipating the story ending with you saying no to the extra 4 months, and just taking the severance, and them being shocked/having to scramble. But the resignation letters threw me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #774 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »

That was rather beautiful. Well played.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #775 on: December 02, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
Great stuff, just following. 

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #776 on: December 02, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
That was awesome! And +1 to AlanStache for his signature ;)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #777 on: December 02, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »

That signature has kept me in check and stopped me from posting more than one reply :-)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #778 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »

That signature has kept me in check and stopped me from posting more than one reply :-)

As an aside, it looks like Mr. Rogers had plenty of FI/FU money in the event they ever gave him shit...

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/fred-rogers-net-worth/

I wonder if he got his sweaters at thrift shops?

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #779 on: December 02, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
His mom made the sweaters for him is what I was told

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #780 on: December 02, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »

Even better!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: December 02, 2015, 09:51:44 AM »

I googled that for you: http://www.fredrogers.org/frc/news/mister-rogers-shares-how-his-mother-showed-love

But thanks for the googling tip. Lovely little story.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #782 on: December 02, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »

I googled that for you: http://www.fredrogers.org/frc/news/mister-rogers-shares-how-his-mother-showed-love

But thanks for the googling tip. Lovely little story.

That was wonderful. Thanks for sharing! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #783 on: December 02, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »

You may not think that's extravagant, but I certainly do! Very cool the way you handled it.
I agree, bravo!

lcerrito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #784 on: December 02, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
How did you turn in resignation letters and get severance?  Basically hush money to sign a "I won't sue" document, not really severance?  I was anticipating the story ending with you saying no to the extra 4 months, and just taking the severance, and them being shocked/having to scramble. But the resignation letters threw me.

You're correct that the severance was basically "Hush money." If I had stayed the extra four months I would have gotten a bonus that was the equivalent of two paychecks. It took them over a week to draft the severance documents, and at that point I only had job interviews scheduled. Once I got the legal drafts and the job offer, I was out!

lcerrito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #785 on: December 02, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »

I agree, bravo!

Thanks. :) Believe me it took a lot of restraint to not do something crazily epic. Leaving them high and dry was very, very satisfying.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #786 on: December 02, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »
Nice. Well done lining up the new job, so you could immediately take the severance, resign, and peace out. :D

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #787 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »
I am pretty sure I am working up to my own story in the near future. Posting to follow.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #788 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
Posting to follow because these stories are great entertainment, but I also thought this piece from HBS was interesting in light of what we're talking about:

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/11/those-toxic-co-workers/

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #789 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
Here's a great story about an IT worker who was let go without even an exit interview:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/04/sysadmins_100000_revenge_after_sudden_sacking/

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #790 on: December 04, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
Here's a great story about an IT worker who was let go without even an exit interview:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/04/sysadmins_100000_revenge_after_sudden_sacking/

Not exactly a FU story but pretty funny all the same.  "Penny wise and pound foolish"

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #791 on: December 04, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »

Not exactly a FU story but pretty funny all the same.  "Penny wise and pound foolish"

Good story, but the title is misleading as the system in did NOT take revenge on the company in response to getting sacked, rather the company screwed themselves over (which the system in did not not feel bad about) - corporate karma!

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #792 on: December 05, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
Yep, the title was inflammatory.   I thought it was a great story though.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #793 on: December 05, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

It is a great story - it illustrates several consequences of the short-term thinking, lack of respect for employees, and disengagement of management that is too prevalent in many organizations

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #794 on: December 06, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »

Typical of TheRegister. I absolutely hate their yellowish journalism.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
On the one hand, I commend people for leaving a toxic work environment, especially when they have the easy financial means to do it. On the other, some of these stories leave me thinking good people are letting the occasional asshole get the better of them, and that by leaving they're just letting the asshole disrupt the good person's life and continue to merrily abuse everyone else who remains. I wish some of these stories would end along the lines of, "So I told the CEO, either the asshole leaves or I do. They fired the asshole."

Like using a stupid college rivalry as grounds to file an actual, written reprimand against an employee?? Man, I'd tell that person (in a strictly professional way) they better go f*ck themselves first, because if they write me up for something like that they will definitely get f*cked way worse.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:29 PM »
I've found that as I've approached and surpassed having "FU Money", I've felt less and less inclined to ever have to use it.

Someone is being a dick at work?  So what...  So I disengage and surf the web for a while.  What's the worst that happens, they let me go in the next layoff round? LOL.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #797 on: December 11, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »
I've found that as I've approached and surpassed having "FU Money", I've felt less and less inclined to ever have to use it.

Someone is being a dick at work?  So what...  So I disengage and surf the web for a while.  What's the worst that happens, they let me go in the next layoff round? LOL.

Heh reminds me of when I had planned a vacation before I had the time off approved.  One of my coworkers was like 'but what if they say no?'  I told her I already bought my flight, so I'm going anyway, and absolute worst case I'll just go find another job when I get back.  She was pretty shocked, haha.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #798 on: December 11, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
On the one hand, I commend people for leaving a toxic work environment, especially when they have the easy financial means to do it. On the other, some of these stories leave me thinking good people are letting the occasional asshole get the better of them, and that by leaving they're just letting the asshole disrupt the good person's life and continue to merrily abuse everyone else who remains. I wish some of these stories would end along the lines of, "So I told the CEO, either the asshole leaves or I do. They fired the asshole."

Like using a stupid college rivalry as grounds to file an actual, written reprimand against an employee?? Man, I'd tell that person (in a strictly professional way) they better go f*ck themselves first, because if they write me up for something like that they will definitely get f*cked way worse.
I just read an article that discussed how expensive a toxic employee is - does WAY more damage and cost than hiring 5 good employees!

That doesn't prevent companies from hiring toxic employees and keeping them around.   I've experienced this first hand.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #799 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »

Heh reminds me of when I had planned a vacation before I had the time off approved.  One of my coworkers was like 'but what if they say no?'  I told her I already bought my flight, so I'm going anyway, and absolute worst case I'll just go find another job when I get back.  She was pretty shocked, haha.
There were actually people, in a specific group at my last company, that would cancel vacation plans because of last minute company needs. I couldn't believe it.

I would never never do that.