Author Topic: Epic FU money stories  (Read 1271228 times)

MissNancyPryor

• Pencil Stache
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
Re: Epic FU money stories
« Reply #2850 on: August 27, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
She then ham-handedly turned the topic to my hours.  She said she noticed I only worked 7 hours a day and I really need to work 8.

I quit. 

She freaked out. 

Love this.

I wonder if, somewhere on the internet, there's a forum where bosses post stories like this from the other side. "In the middle of the regular review of one of my reports, it got a bit awkward because I had to tell her she wasn't working the required hours--and she just up and quit! Can you believe it?"

Its an interesting point... so our the poster isn't performing the job well and both the boss and poster understand this.  But maybe attendance is the boss's short term plan to make job performance ok.  Butt in seat time based jobs seem to be very common in large organizations.

As it is it would mean an extra hour staring at a computer screen not doing anything meaningful because I can't get the guy's cooperation.  I could spend an extra hour looking for answers on my own I suppose, but then my colleagues are out the door after 7 hours and - oh wait, someone remind me why I am seemingly sucking up when I have zero desire to climb the corporate ladder.  Cool fish flowing in the stream was the goal, not trying to be the shiny new thing. 

It is really pretty easy.  She finds it intolerable that I want to simply be an analyst instead of doing the cool program management and leadership stuff she has had lined up for me since before I came back.  She therefore decided I must be unhappy because she certainly would be.  And golly, while she has her hammer out why not whack Nancy with it about HOURS of all things?  While the rest of the staff does the same? (She admitted that, BTW.)  She also admits she is now quite stuck because the dude next to me has zero ability to train or onboard the next person.  Bummer for her, she should have let me work this out at my own pace instead of constantly wanting me to move up and out of the role.  Now she has to start over.     

The straight deal is that I do not accept hammer blows because I don't need the job.  Because I have FU money I don't have to put up with misplaced "coaching" at a job that is not really meaningful in the long term. 

Do you suppose she has had a meaningful conversation with the reluctant dude about his need to embrace my role so it can assist his work?  Nope, no, nopety no.   

She made a gross misstep in thinking she could push me into what she wants me to be by trying some hard line shit.  Homie don't play.

I flat out told her that I recommend she find someone who is aggressively climbing the ladder and wanting to be very shiny in that seat so they have a much higher tolerance for some workplace shenanigans and will gleefully run around the floor searching for their answers like some archaeological dig.

Nancy be like, peace out.  And good luck to you with all that.         

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #2851 on: August 27, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
Slow clap for @MissNancyPryor - how great to be in a position to send such a powerful message. One can hope that they learn something...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2852 on: August 27, 2019, 10:58:24 PM »
Slow clap for @MissNancyPryor - how great to be in a position to send such a powerful message. One can hope that they learn something...

Smart managers learn from their mistakes.

Dumb ones blame others and NEVER, EVER learn from their mistakes -- because they never made any.

MissNancyPryor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2853 on: August 28, 2019, 04:56:08 AM »
After ruminating a few days I can say the whole hours thing really, really bugs me. 

So which is it: Am I a great catch that they were able to lure back after lamenting my absence and now have big leadership visions for,

-or-

am I a dishonest hourly clerk who is singled out from the group and found to be cheating on her time card?

Trying to paint me as both was mind numbingly stupid.  I think because she lost the argument about me moving up to her vision in the first part of the conversation she thought she could zing me with treating me like a low level hourly person as a demonstration that she was still in control of me.  If I donít follow her vision I will bear the wrath of being treated like I canít wipe my own ass. 

Monty, I will take Door Number 3 and GTFO instead. 

She never saw that coming and that makes her a foolish manager.  Further, when I quit she should have quickly wished me well and let me carry on my wayó that would have been a show of strength and dignity on her part.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2854 on: August 28, 2019, 05:04:40 AM »
I am so glad to be done and finally really FIRE'd.     
Congratulations.  Definitely an epic FU money story.

I've had some bad managers in my time, and come to the conclusion that a manager only has three jobs-

1.  To hire the right people and fire the wrong ones.
2.  To give people the information they need (this includes training, overseeing any needed improvement of work output - very rare if you've hired the right people, and ensuring that organisational information flows as it should)
3.  Not to get in the way of the people doing the real work.

Of course, a manager might have a "real" job as well which actually makes things happen for the organisation.  But far too many managers end up hampering the work of an organisation instead of facilitating it. Less is usually more when it comes to managing people.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2855 on: August 28, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
After ruminating a few days I can say the whole hours thing really, really bugs me. 

So which is it: Am I a great catch that they were able to lure back after lamenting my absence and now have big leadership visions for,

-or-

am I a dishonest hourly clerk who is singled out from the group and found to be cheating on her time card?

Trying to paint me as both was mind numbingly stupid.  I think because she lost the argument about me moving up to her vision in the first part of the conversation she thought she could zing me with treating me like a low level hourly person as a demonstration that she was still in control of me.  If I donít follow her vision I will bear the wrath of being treated like I canít wipe my own ass. 

She never saw that coming and that makes her a foolish manager.  Further, when I quit she should have quickly wished me well and let me carry on my wayó that would have been a show of strength and dignity on her part.
Do you have to submit a timesheet stating 8 hours a day? I am a government contractor so I have to be a stickler with my time...federal crime otherwise. I had a big issue with coworkers doing the same thing...that amplified when I was promoted to manager and had to start approving those timesheets. I called someone out on their blatant timecard issues...it got ugly

On the other hand there are definitely times where our software is down and we can't really do much if any work. I remain in my seat and surf the net...is that any better? Probably not...but I rationalize to myself that if an emergency comes up I'm here for it. It's just a bad situation in the U.S. where hours are a really big deal...if companies would switch the value based pricing we could stop all the timesheet nonsense! I honestly believe my entire team could accomplish 98% of our work in 30/week....but I digress.

Enjoy retirement!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2856 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
I do not accept hammer blows because I don't need the job.
I am printing this out and hanging it above my cube.  I do actually need a job, but I don't necessarily need this job.  And it's healthy for me to remember this.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2857 on: August 28, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »

-or-

Do you have to submit a timesheet stating 8 hours a day? I am a government contractor so I have to be a stickler with my time...federal crime otherwise. I had a big issue with coworkers doing the same thing...that amplified when I was promoted to manager and had to start approving those timesheets. I called someone out on their blatant timecard issues...it got ugly

On the other hand there are definitely times where our software is down and we can't really do much if any work. I remain in my seat and surf the net...is that any better? Probably not...but I rationalize to myself that if an emergency comes up I'm here for it. It's just a bad situation in the U.S. where hours are a really big deal...if companies would switch the value based pricing we could stop all the timesheet nonsense! I honestly believe my entire team could accomplish 98% of our work in 30/week....but I digress.

Enjoy retirement!

Yeah, I worked for a federal contractor where there were timecard issues before I was hired that resulted in an investigation and eventually a huge settlement. The problems at one of our competitors were so bad it got shut down. It was extremely annoying to have to track time in 15 minute increments and be mostly butt in seat for 7 hours a day (we did get to maintain our 7 paid hours schedule, hour off for lunch most of the time I was there).

Still, if that applies to you it should apply to everyone else and be explained in those terms. I am inclined to think you are right about it being knee jerk retaliation on her part. So glad u are outta there!

MissNancyPryor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2858 on: August 28, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
I have heard of those careful timecard requirements especially for Fed work.  No similar situation here.  It is more of a timecard-by-exception thing to mark down vacation, illness, or holiday, but otherwise if you show up for at least one hour per day and you are salaried then you are paid for the working day.  Usually salaried roles require more than 40 hours with travel and extra effort, as it did in my last job.  No such standard here, just a culture that has broken down a bit with folks probably getting sloppy.  If the boss was wise she would have given me clear direction on arrival and departure time when I was first hired and then re-set with the rest of the group.  Instead, she let me go 4 months before making an issue about it (and I asked about the schedule TWICE and got the "oh, it's fine" sentiment from her before this). 

I am sticking with my theory that she pulled it out of her ass as an attempt to wrest control over me since I would not accept the idea of moving up out of the job.  I had already frustrated her by wanting to just do the job I was hired for so she had no other bullets.  She didn't think she would actually kill me with it but she was wrong. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2859 on: August 28, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
@MissNancyPryor I want to be like you when I grow up.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2860 on: August 28, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Sometimes i think a fun post-fire job would be to get hired at known toxic companies and fuck with the management.

MissNancyPryor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2861 on: August 29, 2019, 06:51:39 AM »
Aw, gee...  Thanks!  (humbly shuffles feet)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2862 on: August 29, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Sometimes i think a fun post-fire job would be to get hired at known toxic companies and fuck with the management.

I'm going to graduate to this once I'm done with all the telemarketers. 

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2863 on: August 29, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

I'm going to graduate to this once I'm done with all the telemarketers.

So, we'll expect to hear back from you in ... what, a week or three? about your new job at Wells Fargo?

thesis

• Stubble
« Reply #2864 on: August 29, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »

This!

It would take some serious FI concentration to not internalize the stress in work locations like that, but wouldn't it be fun to turn toxic environments around by having the leverage to get the right things done? Even the leverage to get rid of the bad apples? "So-and-so is ruining your company. I can help you fix your problems, but you're going to fire so-and-so first".

GreenToTheCore

• Stubble
« Reply #2865 on: August 29, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.
Imagine getting hired into HR, finding a problem manager, and filling their team with fellow FI mustachians... *touches fingertips with an evil grin*

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:40:17 PM by GreenToTheCore »

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2866 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.
Imagine getting hired into HR, finding a problem manager, and filling their team with fellow FI mustachians... *touches fingertips with an evil grin*
Ooh, I like the idea of infiltrating multiple positions.  Hmmm, it might even make for a good TV show....maybe something like....

"Two years ago, a handful of workers were chewed out by a boss for something they didn't do.  These people promptly quit their jobs and joined the FIRE movement.  Today, still wanted by the Internet Retirement Police, they thrive as spoilers of mismanagement.  If your manager stinks...and nobody in HR is willing to help...and if you can find them...maybe you can enlist*...the FI-Team." (cue heroic music)

* no, you can't hire them, because they're retired.

RWTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2867 on: August 30, 2019, 03:41:38 AM »

"Two years ago, a handful of workers were chewed out by a boss for something they didn't do.  These people promptly quit their jobs and joined the FIRE movement.  Today, still wanted by the Internet Retirement Police, they thrive as spoilers of mismanagement.  If your manager stinks...and nobody in HR is willing to help...and if you can find them...maybe you can enlist*...the FI-Team." (cue heroic music)

This worked as intended....I was hearing the A-Team the whole time I read this.  Well done.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #2868 on: August 30, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.
Ooh, I like the idea of infiltrating multiple positions.  Hmmm, it might even make for a good TV show....maybe something like....

As long as we still get to build cabbage cannons.

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2869 on: August 30, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.

I ain't getting on no plane.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #2870 on: August 30, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »

This!

It would take some serious FI concentration to not internalize the stress in work locations like that, but wouldn't it be fun to turn toxic environments around by having the leverage to get the right things done? Even the leverage to get rid of the bad apples? "So-and-so is ruining your company. I can help you fix your problems, but you're going to fire so-and-so first".

Ha! I've actually done this. It wasn't because I had FU money, but because I didn't need the job. It was several years ago when I was frugal but not Mustachian. I took a part-time job to save up for some traveling. It was the same company that my full-time job was with. They needed someone with my expertise and experience. I found out who was causing the problems that necessitated them hiring me, and was very straight up with management. "X is your problem, and will keep causing problems no matter who you fire or promote." They got rid of that person and it solved a lot of their problems in that department.
If I'd been desperate for money or the job, I would've kept my head down and begrudgingly kept working with the toxic person. THey would have kept trying to hire or train their way out of the issue. I'm still proud of that one!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2871 on: August 30, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.

You can be a regional specialist.

Bartleby_the_Scrivener

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2872 on: August 31, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
I am sticking with my theory that she pulled it out of her ass as an attempt to wrest control over me since I would not accept the idea of moving up out of the job.  I had already frustrated her by wanting to just do the job I was hired for so she had no other bullets.  She didn't think she would actually kill me with it but she was wrong.

@MissNancyPryor

That is an inspiring story. :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2873 on: August 31, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
[/quote]vi
@MissNancyPryor

In the olden days, when someone was knighted, the person doing the knighting would use the hand to strike the person being knighted a terrific blow to the face.  It was called "the buffet". 

(PS -- that's buff-it, not buf-fey.   It means a violent blow with a hand or fist, not a table full of serve-yourself food.)

With that buffet went these words, "Take this blow and no other."   

Being a sword guy, I view MMM's face punches in a very similar way.

When you graduate to FU or FI status, you no longer put up with other people's shit.  You stand for what you believe to be the right.

So walk proud, you've followed in a long tradition of chivalric behavior.  :)

BicycleB

• Handlebar Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #2874 on: September 02, 2019, 03:35:23 PM »
vi
@MissNancyPryor

In the olden days, when someone was knighted, the person doing the knighting would use the hand to strike the person being knighted a terrific blow to the face.  It was called "the buffet". 

(PS -- that's buff-it, not buf-fey.   It means a violent blow with a hand or fist, not a table full of serve-yourself food.)

With that buffet went these words, "Take this blow and no other."   

Being a sword guy, I view MMM's face punches in a very similar way.

When you graduate to FU or FI status, you no longer put up with other people's shit.  You stand for what you believe to be the right.

So walk proud, you've followed in a long tradition of chivalric behavior.  :)
[/quote]

Learn something new every day?

My day is done. Thanks,@SwordGuy!

:)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #2875 on: September 11, 2019, 05:01:03 PM »
I finally have a story to share!

My daughter got a part time job at a ski shop, which is a great opportunity, should be fun, etc. It didn't turn out that way, as she was the only female employee, and when she became ill, the manager [I assume, don't know exactly] was not very accommodating, kind of retaliating by not scheduling her at all. It's also just stressing her out because she has a full load of classes, and her academics were not great last year.

So she's quitting. I mentioned that she should do what is right for her, and to remember this feeling of control and freedom (I am paying for her education and room and board, so her current power comes from privilege, not savings). I explained that to be in that position of power, she needs to save 50%+ of her income, and always have enough to walk if the situation warrants.

I think she gets it, and mentioned that she still has a good amount of savings from her summer job. Planting the seeds of a potential future epic FU money story.

Loren Ver

• Pencil Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2876 on: September 11, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »
Nice FU MissNancyPrior!

Oh man, this.

This made my day so much better.  We are currently on season three.
DH cross stitched this for me for retirement.

RWTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2877 on: September 12, 2019, 03:37:29 AM »

My daughter got a part time job at a ski shop, which is a great opportunity, should be fun, etc. It didn't turn out that way, as she was the only female employee, and when she became ill, the manager [I assume, don't know exactly] was not very accommodating, kind of retaliating by not scheduling her at all. It's also just stressing her out because she has a full load of classes, and her academics were not great last year.

So she's quitting. I mentioned that she should do what is right for her, and to remember this feeling of control and freedom (I am paying for her education and room and board, so her current power comes from privilege, not savings). I explained that to be in that position of power, she needs to save 50%+ of her income, and always have enough to walk if the situation warrants.

I think she gets it, and mentioned that she still has a good amount of savings from her summer job. Planting the seeds of a potential future epic FU money story.

Good job Dad.

Much Fishing to Do

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2878 on: September 12, 2019, 05:31:16 AM »
I explained that to be in that position of power, she needs to save 50%+ of her income

I think that's a great age to say this as you maybe the only one she's ever going to hear a savings rate even considered outside the range of 0%-20%...

talltexan

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2879 on: September 18, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »
Advocating that you should always save 50% of your income seems kind of impossible for a parent to carry out successfully.

Your daughter's income will grow rapidly through the decade of her 20's. An easier path for her is to get used to saving some, but then commit to saving 50% of any raises that appear.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2880 on: September 18, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
Advocating that you should always save 50% of your income seems kind of impossible for a parent to carry out successfully.

Your daughter's income will grow rapidly through the decade of her 20's. An easier path for her is to get used to saving some, but then commit to saving 50% of any raises that appear.

Impossible for parents making how much?  For every financial goal someone says is impossible, you can find someone else doing it.  We, as mustachians, come across this from people all the time.  Impossible shouldn't be in our vocabulary.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2881 on: September 18, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »

Impossible for parents making how much?  For every financial goal someone says is impossible, you can find someone else doing it.  We, as mustachians, come across this from people all the time.  Impossible shouldn't be in our vocabulary.
Bravo!

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #2882 on: September 18, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »

Good job Dad.

This is great.   A good lesson to learn early on, that feeling of freedom and control is invaluable.   And she has a start on the savings. 

Chris Pascale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2883 on: September 22, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »
A lot of this is on the 2019 cohort thread but it fits here and I was encouraged to post it in this widely-read thread. 

I left my very stressful job April 5th, 2019 as per the glorious FIRE plan of quitting at age 50.  I quickly returned to work later that month at a place I used to work years prior in an effort to transition and SWAMI my way into a retirement.  I felt like I needed a transition period from the crazy corporate life with its ridiculous cross country travel to a time where I could still earn a little bit as a safety net and would finally be able to develop my life outside of work and be social since I would finally be no one's boss. 

I shifted from a high power boss type job pre-FIRE to more of a technical analyst, but still salaried and with a decent paycheck.  Unfortunately I have been there 4 months and it is boring beyond all hell.  There is a struggle because the person who is supposed to be training me is a passive aggressive dude who told me flat out, "No one taught me anything here, I had to figure it out for myself" and then proceeded to not teach me anything there.  Every bit of knowledge I have gained has been painfully acquired.  It was clear that he did not want me to be the successful candidate for this job, he wanted a buddy of his, but they could not meet the salary requirements.  The fact that I easily figured out that I was not his first choice should tell you everything about how he treated me after I arrived.   

But, the goals of transitioning are being met for the most part-- I have enjoyed not carrying a company cell phone any longer and the extension of medical insurance as well as a paycheck.  Even though it is boring and I have the constant friction with the dude in the next cubicle I decided that I would stay a year so as not to be a jerk about things and show some gratitude.     

Last Friday my boss and I had our regular 1:1 session and she said she could tell I was not happy.  I explained (again, because I have been saying it to her since my second week there) that I was not getting the training I needed and was frustrated but I was sorry I was not hiding it better.  She encouraged me to take a promotion where my skill set and leadership experience would be better used.  I declined and emphasized that I purposefully downshifted to this role in order to build a life that was not driven by work.  After a while we developed some ideas on how I could find a path forward and we agreed. 

She then ham-handedly turned the topic to my hours.  She said she noticed I only worked 7 hours a day and I really need to work 8.

I quit. 

She freaked out.  She refused to accept my resignation.   

It was fairly dramatic but I explained that I have been working the exact same hours as the rest of the group, I am a salaried individual, and furthermore I asked more than once when I got on board what the deal was and it was agreed I was fine.  I had just spent 40 minutes going through how I was struggling with getting necessary training from a guy who refuses to provide it and to move to a discussion about my HOURS of all things was just too much.  I told her I simply can't take that and therefore I quit.  She told me to sleep on it and let her know Monday.

So I did today.  Color me D.O.N.E. 

Today it was a surprisingly good discussion with her.  I agreed to help us both by doing a graceful exit.  "It just wasn't a fit, I am going to go back to my early retirement" will be our story.  I can live with that.  The only question now is if I should work at all into September or if I can take vacation days to get me another full month of health insurance to ease the transition out to the exchange.   

Side note, for fun I came in extra early today and watched every single one of my co-workers come in later than they should and watched them leave after putting in only about 7 hours.  As I said, I was following the rest of the staff with my comings and goings and it was nice to prove that she was out of line.

I am really glad that doing this short encore job gave me the chance to have an oh-so-satisfying EPIC FU MONEY story as my final exit from working life.  That must have been what these few months were for, a small gift to myself in that I do not have to put up with a boring job where I can't get good training and am going to be hounded about my hours.  Perfect.   

I am so glad to be done and finally really FIRE'd.   

Going to share this with my kids. Excellent story. They were way out of line.