Author Topic: Engagement Ring  (Read 23294 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: Engagement Ring
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
After a loooong time searching, I bought a nice .5 ct diamond solitaire with a gold band for about $1,300, and it was a big hit. I found shopping vintage and less popular cuts (Old European cut) was the best way to get a good price and at the same time, get something unique. Definitely not ideal for all, especially if your SO expects something "new". However, my SO loves old stuff, so being vintage was a big plus.

Sounds great.  I hope she said yes lol.

She did! Best money I ever spent ;)

Here are some pics if anyone is interested: https://www.wharfedaleantiques.com/index.php?_route_=Edwardian0.55ctDiamondSolitaireEngagementRingin18ctYellowGoldandPlatinumRG763

Very nice, and that vintage ring box sets it off well.

ol1970

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2020, 07:35:35 AM »
My only advice look at the stones yourself in person and have them next to each other.  I bought my now wife a 2 carat colorless that didn’t have as good of clarity rating (sorry I forget the exact rating) as the others that I was deciding against.  My friend and I kept doing a sort of blind taste test mixing them up and then picking the one that looked the best in person.  I was surprised that the best looking was not necessarily the most expensive.  I then got her a nice platinum setting with matching engagement band from Tacori.  She absolutely loves it and everywhere she goes she gets compliments.  I’m sure I overpaid but she’s happy and it wasn’t a financial burden and seemed about the right amount to spend.  Buy once cry once lol!

damnedbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Ew, diamonds. One of the scummiest, evilest industries and scams in the world. I can't see how any Mustachian would buy into it.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:51 AM »
My DW used hand-me-down rings from her grandmother.  Cost $0.
now my grandchildren have that opportunity

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!