Author Topic: Elio: $6800 "car"  (Read 22903 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Elio: $6800 "car"
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2014, 04:22:51 AM »
And here we have the "Elf"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/03/31/elf-bike-car-ends-first-year-of-production/6961901/

More bike than car, like a fully enclosed recumbent.  Wondering if there's anyone selling kits to enclose a recumbent bicycle now, hmm...

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
I think that for someone like me that the Elio would be great. I live in a small town and there is not much traffic between home and work, mostly side streets, but I live just far enough away that walking daily isn't going to happen. Plus lots of hills. Most times when coming to work I am by myself and sometimes travel between offices, again by myself. I would be like some others and not much interested in taking it on the highway, but for my daily commute it would be ideal.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
    I find the concept interesting but I'll wait to see how a car by a new manufacturer actually performs, its reliability, ease of repair, safety, etc.  Besides, I don't need a car now or for a few years (hopefully).

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
I've been dreaming of Elio striking a deal with Ford for the 1.0 EcoBoost.  Not only would the car get crazy good fuel economy, but it would be a rocket.  That little weight with that much horsepower would be way fun.  I'd even pay a couple extra thousand for that.

I love the 1.0 3 popper as well as the other brands coming out (Mini has a 3 cyl. turbo now, etc.). I can't wait til these engines start hitting the junkyards so I can use them in projects. I've heard that some of them have been tuned to 200+ HP. All sorts of awesome in a lightweight platform.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
I love the 1.0 3 popper as well as the other brands coming out (Mini has a 3 cyl. turbo now, etc.). I can't wait til these engines start hitting the junkyards so I can use them in projects. I've heard that some of them have been tuned to 200+ HP. All sorts of awesome in a lightweight platform.

If you're looking for a tiny, lightweight motor for some sort of homebuilt project, you could look into using a motorbike engine.  Many of those in the 900-1000cc range can be used in heavier vehicles and are already up in the 150+ horsepower range.  The transmission will be a little more work, but I've read articles about a guy with a Miata with a 1.3 liter Suzuki motorbike engine mated to a traditional transmission in a Miata, all in the name of minimum weight.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
If you're looking for a tiny, lightweight motor for some sort of homebuilt project, you could look into using a motorbike engine.  Many of those in the 900-1000cc range can be used in heavier vehicles and are already up in the 150+ horsepower range.  The transmission will be a little more work, but I've read articles about a guy with a Miata with a 1.3 liter Suzuki motorbike engine mated to a traditional transmission in a Miata, all in the name of minimum weight.

Oh, been there! I started a Lotus 7 project with a YZF-R1 (1000 cc) sport bike engine. I really like these engines but for certain uses. I don't like them for stop and go / typical daily driver stuff because of low torque at low RPM. Also no reverse means either adding a reverser box or going without (or adding a trans as you said - I wouldn't simply because one of the big draws for me is sequential no-lift shifts).

For a custom car that gets great fuel economy I'd use one of the new 3 poppers with a turbo. HP and torque when you need it, can run A/C and other accessories without an issue, etc. For a minimalist sportster I'd go bike engine all the way.

CarFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
I have had mine on order for a while.  The single best thing about the Elio is the ability to use the HOV lanes with one person.  Since it is registered as  a motorcycle this is legal.  Combined with 5 star crash rating and 80+ mpg highway, not a bad gig.  Lastly, registration and insurance should be low because cost is low.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!