Author Topic: Eating mostly the same things everyday to simplify life  (Read 13780 times)

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
Re: Eating mostly the same things everyday to simplify life
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »

Then a few weeks ago, I got more bad news.  Turns out that despite having none of the obvious risk factors OR symptoms, I have esophogeal damage from long-term 'silent' acid reflux, despite only having gotten heartburn maybe half a dozen times in my entire life.  And it turns out that practically every meal in our regular rotation (despite being a model of typical recommended 'healthy' eating) potentially worsens this condition. 

I have the opposite problem - years of pain from reflux but no esophogeal damage.  It helps to elevate the head of your bed about 4 inches and to sleep on your left side.  There's something called MedCline Reflux Pillow which will do this too.  I haven't tried it, as I just use wedges, but I don't really recommend this because it doesn't keep your spine in alignment and now I have neck issues.  Of course, there's always medications too.

I've been meaning to look into the angled pillows.  The weird thing is that I don't seem to have as many problems at night when I'm lying down.  The only symptom I have is flares of chronic dry cough and hoarseness, and that always occurs when I'm sitting, and my stomach is pushed up against my ribs and diaphram.  I don't really get it when standing or lying.  But even the cough hadn't been acting up for the last year or so UNTIL they did the scoping procedure on my esogphagus and upper intestine.  That was a month ago and I've been coughing and hoarse ever since, even with starting to modify diet and beng on a proton pump inhibitor.  Super annoying. I'm incredibly fortunate that I don't have a job that requires talking.

If you plan to take PPIs for more than a few months, it's wise to supplement with calcium and vitamin D, because of the risk of osteoporosis (ask me how I know!).  Also, I have been taking something called DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root -a chewable pill with the salt stripped out of the licorice) 400 mg about 10 minutes before each meal, for many years, and I think this has helped protect my esophagus, as it increases mucous production in the lining of the digestive tract.  I use Natural Factors brand, which really doesn't taste like licorice at all if you have an aversion to this flavour.  Try it for a month and see what happens.  Also, make sure you're not wearing anything restricting around your waist, like tight pants, and sitting on a bar height stool with a foot rest instead of a regular chair will put less pressure on your midsection.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »

Then a few weeks ago, I got more bad news.  Turns out that despite having none of the obvious risk factors OR symptoms, I have esophogeal damage from long-term 'silent' acid reflux, despite only having gotten heartburn maybe half a dozen times in my entire life.  And it turns out that practically every meal in our regular rotation (despite being a model of typical recommended 'healthy' eating) potentially worsens this condition. 

I have the opposite problem - years of pain from reflux but no esophogeal damage.  It helps to elevate the head of your bed about 4 inches and to sleep on your left side.  There's something called MedCline Reflux Pillow which will do this too.  I haven't tried it, as I just use wedges, but I don't really recommend this because it doesn't keep your spine in alignment and now I have neck issues.  Of course, there's always medications too.

I've been meaning to look into the angled pillows.  The weird thing is that I don't seem to have as many problems at night when I'm lying down.  The only symptom I have is flares of chronic dry cough and hoarseness, and that always occurs when I'm sitting, and my stomach is pushed up against my ribs and diaphram.  I don't really get it when standing or lying.  But even the cough hadn't been acting up for the last year or so UNTIL they did the scoping procedure on my esogphagus and upper intestine.  That was a month ago and I've been coughing and hoarse ever since, even with starting to modify diet and beng on a proton pump inhibitor.  Super annoying. I'm incredibly fortunate that I don't have a job that requires talking.

If you plan to take PPIs for more than a few months, it's wise to supplement with calcium and vitamin D, because of the risk of osteoporosis (ask me how I know!).  Also, I have been taking something called DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root -a chewable pill with the salt stripped out of the licorice) 400 mg about 10 minutes before each meal, for many years, and I think this has helped protect my esophagus, as it increases mucous production in the lining of the digestive tract.  I use Natural Factors brand, which really doesn't taste like licorice at all if you have an aversion to this flavour.  Try it for a month and see what happens.  Also, make sure you're not wearing anything restricting around your waist, like tight pants, and sitting on a bar height stool with a foot rest instead of a regular chair will put less pressure on your midsection.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm really glad you posted.  I just started PPIs, with the general instruction that I should be on them for life.  Which is scary b/c of what you said. I'm already tiny and fine-boned, and I can't supplement otc calcium (or too much vit D) b/c it increases risk of kidney stones, which already run in my family. PLUS, PPIs are apparently linked to depleted magnesium, which I already have to supplement b/c I have super-slow digestion (original reason I even went to the gastro in the first place; the upper GI scoping was just sort of 'well, we've already got you under, so let's do that too').  I supplement with mag b/c of chronic myofascial/muscle pain and migraines, and the mag really helps with those. So I sure don't want it depleted!  And the more I research, the more questionable the PPI approach seems anyway, since no studies have actually correlated long-term use of PPIs with reducing the risk of Barrett's esophagus progressing to cancer.  Also, PPIs have been correlated with dementia, AND they relax the esophogeal valve.  And I suspect a dysfunctional valve is the underlying cause of my whole problem.  PPIs just feel like a band aid that will cause more problems in the long run.

But sitting does seem to be the major trigger for me, not lying down, so I will definitely look into your suggestion of a stool type chair. I've also been thinking a standing desk might be a good idea.   But generally, this has been 2 months of extreme frustration.  I'm inclined to go off the PPIs and just treat symptoms with ranatadine, but I've been on PPIs 4 weeks already and I understand that I will have to do a step-down protocol to get off them without causing even worse rebound reflux. Or I could stay on them another 2 months until my quarterly follow up.

I'm going to try the licorice b/c currently it's like I'm living in 'backwards' world...for 20 years my diet has been absolutely packed with every supposedly triggering substance, and everyone always told me how healthy I was eating LOL. Modifying my eating pattern to that extreme is challenging enough and it's been tough, yet every modification I've made so far (cutting down on coffee, chocolate,  wine, eggs; cutting WAY down on fats, tomatoes, onions, citrus, garlic, spices, vinegar, etc) and adding the medication seems to be making things much worse!

Sorry for the vent.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
I use a meal planning app (emeals) - get 7 meal recipes sent to me each week. Pick the ones that I am going to make, which automatically populates a shopping list. Keeps me on track w/ only buying groceries that are going to be used. A big time saver for me for shopping and for the mental energy to figure out what to cook. I don't deviate from it too much - except to make occasional favorites or if the day goes completely off the rails and I need to order a pizza.

For breakfast and lunch there is a small range of things - cereal, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs. Lunch is leftovers for me and a sandwich for the kids.

I do think that I would get bored eating the exact same 2 or 3 meals every day.

Similarly I went to a "uniform" system for my work clothes about 3-4 years ago. Cut way down on clothing expenses, saves a lot of mental energy, means I rarely have to shop for anything. Love it. I definitely don't care about variety in my wardrobe at all!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm really glad you posted.  I just started PPIs, with the general instruction that I should be on them for life.  Which is scary b/c of what you said. I'm already tiny and fine-boned, and I can't supplement otc calcium (or too much vit D) b/c it increases risk of kidney stones, which already run in my family. PLUS, PPIs are apparently linked to depleted magnesium, which I already have to supplement b/c I have super-slow digestion (original reason I even went to the gastro in the first place; the upper GI scoping was just sort of 'well, we've already got you under, so let's do that too').  I supplement with mag b/c of chronic myofascial/muscle pain and migraines, and the mag really helps with those. So I sure don't want it depleted!  And the more I research, the more questionable the PPI approach seems anyway, since no studies have actually correlated long-term use of PPIs with reducing the risk of Barrett's esophagus progressing to cancer.  Also, PPIs have been correlated with dementia, AND they relax the esophogeal valve.  And I suspect a dysfunctional valve is the underlying cause of my whole problem.  PPIs just feel like a band aid that will cause more problems in the long run.

But sitting does seem to be the major trigger for me, not lying down, so I will definitely look into your suggestion of a stool type chair. I've also been thinking a standing desk might be a good idea.   But generally, this has been 2 months of extreme frustration.  I'm inclined to go off the PPIs and just treat symptoms with ranatadine, but I've been on PPIs 4 weeks already and I understand that I will have to do a step-down protocol to get off them without causing even worse rebound reflux. Or I could stay on them another 2 months until my quarterly follow up.

I'm going to try the licorice b/c currently it's like I'm living in 'backwards' world...for 20 years my diet has been absolutely packed with every supposedly triggering substance, and everyone always told me how healthy I was eating LOL. Modifying my eating pattern to that extreme is challenging enough and it's been tough, yet every modification I've made so far (cutting down on coffee, chocolate,  wine, eggs; cutting WAY down on fats, tomatoes, onions, citrus, garlic, spices, vinegar, etc) and adding the medication seems to be making things much worse!

Sorry for the vent.

I get your frustration, believe me.  No apologies required.
Even though you may not actively have symptoms while laying down, it's a good bet that that's when most of the damage is actually occurring, especially if you have a week Lower Esophageal Sphincter, which is my problem also.  Once the erosion is present, then any abdominal force that moves food upwards causes symptoms.  So, I would still do what you can to mitigate risk at night.
Also note that carbs relax the LES and protein tightens it.
Just to further confuse you, I have read that too little stomach acid can actually cause heartburn symptoms, and your mention of having slow digestion might be a symptom of this.  If that is the case, then drinking apple cider vinegar with each meal is supposed to help.  There is actually a medical test that can be done to measure stomach acid (don't know what it's called), but it is invasive (a scope) and may also cause temporary worsening of symptoms.
When I went off PPIs, I just took an increasing number of days off between doses and I really didn't notice any worsening of heartburn.  I used to take Ranitidine at one point also and found that it made me very tired about a hour after my dose, so I eventually went off this too.  Right now, I only take the DGL and alternate Gaviscon and Gastro-Gel at night.  However, Gaviscon is also linked to osteoporosis and the Gastro-Gel has quite a bit of calcium in it, so likely not a good option for you.
There's just to perfect solution except trying to attack as many of the contributors as possible.  At some point, you just have to live with it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »
I do the same sort of thing.

Breakfast is oats, blueberries, LSA. Sometimes hot, sometimes raw oats, sometimes I add sugar, but that's breakfast.
Lunch is a couple cups cabbage based salad, good dollop of hummus, some sort of protein which is usually a boiled egg, sometimes slice of simple homemade quiche.
Snacks are cheese and crackers, almonds, fruit, sometimes a bowl of sweetcorn with butter (gives me the same instant savoury hit as noodles would but it has some nutritional value).
Dinner is one of a few staples I have batch cooked and have in the freezer - bolognese sauce, chili beef/beans, tasty vege quinoa, cauliflower soup and chicken pot pie filling. Lots of different things you can do with those basics.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »

Sorry for the vent.

My 30 yr old daughter has terrible reflux and doesn't take PPIs.  She is very regimented with avoiding trigger foods and is vegan.  She eats her main meal at lunch time and has a light dinner -- usually half a bag salad mix at 5:30pm.  She goes to bed early, between 8pm and 9pm, to avoid snacking, but if she gets hungry will eat a few saltines.

My DH also has reflux even with PPIs.  We eat mostly vegan, and I really struggle to avoid tomatoes and onions.  I also have reflux, but it is completely eliminated with PPI's (1 every 3 days).  I like to make a big pot of something and eat it all week, but DH gets tired after 2-3 meals.  I really enjoy threads like this for ideas.

Thanks!

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
 I think most people have their go-to shopping list. While I tend to buy the same things over and over again, I have a little rule nn which I can’t eat the same thing twice in a day.  In terms of nutritional health, variety is on par with nutrient density and serving size.  Fruit can be healthy, but not if the only fruit you eat are apples. Greens can be healthy, but not if it’s only kale.  I try to eat a fruit or a veggie with every meal or snack, but it has to be a different fruit or different veggie each time.

If I have a banana at breakfast, my next fruit maybe will be a grapefruit. If I have broccoli, later in the day I’ll have asparagus, then a salad. Etc. etc. Same with fats. If I have fresh mozzarella, then later I may have avocado or a hard-boiled egg, or a handful of nuts. Essentially to simplify life, also because I’m not much of a cook, I tend to stick to whole foods. Or better accurate to say I try to stick to whole foods. That way I don’t have to read ingredient lists or anything like that.

Typical breakfast for me would be scrambled egg whites in lots of oil and a bit of sausage for flavor,  with a whole grapefruit and  a handful of fresh greens (literally take a few handfuls out of the salad tub and shove it into my mouth). Once in a blue moon (typically a hangover cure), I’ll go out for my favorite breakfast: t bone steak, fried egg white, and a sliced fresh tomato with salt and pepper (eat a fruit when I get home). Not necessarily healthy, but whole ingredients....literally 3, and I stay full until supper.

Brunch might be a whole boiled egg with some microwave bacon (I never claimed to be healthy), or fresh mozzarella and seed crackers....with a  fruit and a veg not had at breakfast...so maybe steamed broccoli with a little salt and pepper and a banana.

Lunch, salad with avo and homemade olive oil dressing, or chicken. Or if I had greens for breakfast I might just have a small serving of dinner leftovers with a crudité of cucumber and vinegar chips, radish, celery, and carrots. And a star fruit or guava or (I live near many Asian and Spanish markets and like to include “exotic” fruits that may offer a different nutritional profile).

I usually scavenge for dinner. I live within 5 miles of my parent’s, grandmother, and older sister. They are constantly giving me food, and sometimes I have to freeze it. I’m the youngest and spoiled, so sue me. Sometimes I’ll cook a low-carb meal such as sauerkraut, or salmon and asparagus. Or ham steak with roasted sweet potato from the garden....topped with walnuts it tastes just like sweet potato soufflé...yum! And sweet potato with a bite of ripe avo, tastes like it’s drizzled with butters....mmmmm. Steak once in a while.

So you can see in a day I eat mostly whole foods with the exception of minimal servings of cured meats, and a serving of cheese. I keep it low on refined carbs, not really for health reasons, but I Just like how I feel eating whole ingredient meals (it makes me, umm, regular, with the natural fibers and lack of additives) and how it tastes. And there’s very little cooking involved.

I work from home most days so it is tempting to snack all day. Although I’ve never really been much of a snacker. I hate planning meals so sometimes I’ll just gut load on a little bit of this and that in one large eating binge, then eat once more later in the day. I do this particularly if I wake up hungry, and find that I just can’t stop eating after breakfast. So I’ll just go ahead and consume breakfast and lunch, and I’m usually full until close to dinnertime.That way I don’t have to think or worry about what to eat for lunch. Then I just sip on tea between the two meals. I keep the electric kettle plugged in right at my desk, with a caddie of teas, and instant coffee, And my recent obsession a thermos of lemon grass cuttings from my parents garden, that steeps all day. I don’t drink plain water while at home, and mix up my teas and herbals throughout the day as well. Variety!

After writing this down, I realize I eat a lot of cholesterol. I get blood work each year for insurance incentives and my total cholesterol is always under 180, with an hdl between 90-100 (lowest 92, highest 98). High cholesterol/hypertension/ heart disease runs on both sides of my family, so I always try to eat pectin fiber rich foods anytime I eat animal products or by products. Outside of eating a crap-ton of citrus (at least 2 per day: orange, tangerine, and or grapefruit),I don’t do anything special, or exercise really. Food is medicine and variety and combo is beginning to be believed as more important to health than restrictions. The only issue I struggle with is sugar. I’ve never been outside of normal range, but pretty damn close. I like sweet things.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:55:41 AM by Lmoot »

Henrysmom1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »
For many years I was a nurse practitioner for a group of healthy, yet home-bound elders, all of whom were well into their 80s and 90s. One common thread among them was that they ate very little quantity  and didn’t crave a lot of variety. Literally all of them had a set menu they rarely veered from. I can’t tell you how many times I heard “ I eat one packet of oatmeal and a cup of coffee for breakfast, or I eat a ham sandwich and an apple every day for lunch.”. They really did eat to live and they must have done something right because they were all pretty healthy and intact cognitively.  A few years later I found myself quite overweight and lost 50 pounds by doing literally the same thing. I ate a few eggs and a piece of toast for breakfast, a salad with lots of veggies and beans for lunch and a small chicken thigh and vegetables for dinner. A piece of fruit for snacks. Taking away the choices led to less cravings and was, for me, very healthy way to eat. Sadly I fell into some bad habits and gained 20 pounds back :(

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
Fascinating thread, particularly your story of the elderly @Henrysmom1 There's something to be said for routine and leaving your mind free for other aspects of life.

You've inspired me to reevaluate my pantry staples and become more systematic about my 'cooking'. I don't snack but my meals may seem like snacks to some. Don't really cook much since it's just me, more like mix or chop and heat. Salads and smoothies are staples.

For meals:
* DIY muesli for breakfast (oats, nuts or seeds, dried fruit) with local soymilk or imported yogurt
* Lunch at work: greens/veg with cheap frozen Thai dumplings or something vegetarian from the Pakistani or Indian or Indonesian groceries nearby - curries or samosas or frozen paneer - with nan or rice I've made @home
* Dinner - varies. Haven't been consistent or healthy (ie cheese and wholewheat crackers and baby carrots not unusual lately) as I'd like.

Since I have virtually no kitchen, extremely limited storage space, tiny fridge (with no real working freezer at home or work) and am v limited on what I can make at home, I'll be getting more organized to roast veggies in our studio's toaster oven, make rice and pulses weekly, and use these as re-heatable bases for main dishes. Hopefully this will reduce the mental energy required and increase healthiness of meals.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:48:41 PM by expatartist »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:15 PM »
We are in the middle of a complicated move and are basically nomadic, but once we get settled in a couple months, I'm hoping to implement something like this.

Breakfast probably avo toast with a poached egg.  I know that will make me happy for a while. If I get sick of it, then I need to come up with one other thing, so I can switch back and forth every few weeks as needed.

Lunches--on Monday and Friday making salad in a jar (10 total, enough for 5 days for two eaters, spilt across two prep days). 

Snacks--my goal is to shop at least twice a week, so we will always have fresh fruit, along with nuts

Dinner--
Mondays--Something from weekend prep
Tuesday--tacos
Wednesday--Stirfry or enchilladas with leftover meats from M/T, or something from weekend prep
Thursday--something from my go-to rotation of about 10 meals, or a weekend prep meal
Friday--pasta with some sort of sauce and some sort of meat

Friday, I will also do some batch cooking for freezer meals, as needed.  (Likely every ~3 weeks.) 

Weekends will consist of freezer prep meals or cooking, depending on schedule.

I may fine tune this as I put it into motion, but that's where I plan to start. 

Wise Financial Man

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the path to Financial Freedom!
    • Wise Financial Man
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
Typically we're along the same lines. Pretty much buy near the same ingredients and grocery items every week. Purchasing chicken, vegetables, some toll house cookies here and there (guilty confession) maybe some beef, rice, etc. but we try and switch up the meals. SO if we had teriyaki chicken last week, we would try to do bbq or lemon pepper or something just to try to keep it fresh!

nemesis

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2019, 01:33:47 AM »
I simplify meal planning by not eating breakfast, having very simple lunches, either salads or adult lunchables.   That just leaves dinner.  I plan 3 meals, eat the leftovers for other meals.  Easy.
Same here, I do intermittent fasting and only eat 1 or 2 meals per day.

However, I could not eat the same thing every day.

I require variety. I skimp on a lot of other things, but I do not skimp on nutritious and varieties of food.  I'll eat what ever is in season, fresh, and healthy. I don't care how much it costs, even if I have to eat out at select restaurants that I know are healthier.

We are what we eat. What we put in our bodies is the most important thing, along with what information we put in our minds. I do not skimp on food costs or variety of food.

When it comes to eating, variety is king and a blessing.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2019, 05:40:45 AM »
A variation of this... I buy mostly the same 20-30 items all the time... and they are all very versatile and can be combined in a large number of ways.  A lot of them are various frozen vegetables, so I don't have to worry about using anything in a particular time frame.  Meats get frozen too, until the day before they are cooked.  I don't buy many things that expire quickly -- or if I do, I know to use them first.

I do this now too. It's amazing how many different dishes you can make with a base of garbanzos and tomatoes by just changing up the seasoning (Moroccan, Indian, Middle Eastern, Spanish, etc). Lentils too! Of course I like spicy foods, some people can't handle the heat.

Also you can make so many different kinds of bread and pastry just by keeping flour, oil, and leavening in the house. If you are willing to learn baking that is.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
I’m newly single the last couple years after 26 years of cooking for a family.   I absolutely love shopping and cooking just for myself. It’s amazing to have a box of fruity pebbles last a whole month or more. I love it. 

Anyway it can be hard to cook for one and I don’t like to throw away food. After three days of eating the same meal, even if the other one is different, well it bugs me. Makes me feel poor.  That’s stupid I know. Last week I threw away a big pot of noodles and beef, it was delicious but after eating it four times I count stand the sight of it. I even made it half the size I normally would but it was still too much.

I also try to eat only what I crave and not each too much. I find it hard to eat something if I don’t love it. I lost 40 pounds years ago and this is how I keep it off.  If I want a donut I’ll eat it but won’t eat dinner on top of it. So far so good. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
I’m newly single the last couple years after 26 years of cooking for a family.   I absolutely love shopping and cooking just for myself. It’s amazing to have a box of fruity pebbles last a whole month or more. I love it. 

Anyway it can be hard to cook for one and I don’t like to throw away food. After three days of eating the same meal, even if the other one is different, well it bugs me. Makes me feel poor.  That’s stupid I know. Last week I threw away a big pot of noodles and beef, it was delicious but after eating it four times I count stand the sight of it. I even made it half the size I normally would but it was still too much.

I also try to eat only what I crave and not each too much. I find it hard to eat something if I don’t love it. I lost 40 pounds years ago and this is how I keep it off.  If I want a donut I’ll eat it but won’t eat dinner on top of it. So far so good.

When you make a meal that's too big, portion it into containers and freeze them.  No waste, and  after a few weeks of doing this you have a rotating selection of individual sized meals that can be taken out of the freezer in the morning for supper in the evening.  Then you get some variety, but still only have to cook once or twice a week.

The Keen Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Striving for FI, no plans to RE yet.
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2019, 08:05:30 AM »
I eat the same things very often but not everyday.

Monday - Friday: I eat the exact same breakfast and fruit and pre-gym snack (on gym days). Lunch is basically leftovers from dinner the night before. Dinner could be anything.

Saturday & Sunday: This is completely different depending on plans for the day and planned exercise level. I also have way more time to cook or be creative so I like to leave these days open.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »

When you make a meal that's too big, portion it into containers and freeze them.  No waste, and  after a few weeks of doing this you have a rotating selection of individual sized meals that can be taken out of the freezer in the morning for supper in the evening.  Then you get some variety, but still only have to cook once or twice a week.

The problem is I wait to long to do this. I make the meal thinking it’s so yummy I’ll have no problem finishing it all, 4 days later I’m bored and I think it’s too old to freeze.   I need to do freeze it day one. I clearly developed a pattern and tossing food is just dumb.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »

The problem is I wait to long to do this. I make the meal thinking it’s so yummy I’ll have no problem finishing it all, 4 days later I’m bored and I think it’s too old to freeze.   I need to do freeze it day one. I clearly developed a pattern and tossing food is just dumb.

What I like to do is leave enough of the leftovers in the fridge to have one serving for the next day (or two if it's very yummy), and then put the rest in the freezer.  This way I can satisfy my desire to enjoy it again the next day if I want to, while ensuring I have plenty to enjoy it a week or two from now. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 10:27:23 AM »

Day 3/4 is when I freeze things in individual containers.  Then I know I just have to eat the day I defrost.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!