Author Topic: Dow Jones Alert  (Read 3091 times)

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
Dow Jones Alert
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »
Anybody heard of an app that will send you notifications if the market swings drastically?  The most important thing is that I only want a notification if there is a large percentage change, such as greater than 1%. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Dow Jones Alert
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
Anybody heard of an app that will send you notifications if the market swings drastically?  The most important thing is that I only want a notification if there is a large percentage change, such as greater than 1%.

Why do you want such a thing? (serious question)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
Just turn on notifications for this thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/

Mustache ride

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:36:01 PM »

Why do you want such a thing? (serious question)

+1. If you're trying to buy or sell shares you can just place limit orders or a stop loss.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 10:07:28 PM »
If there is a big enough shift, the mainstream media will cover it.  Of even the MMM forums — like Sol said, there is a thread and I’m sure if there was an astounding crash or amazing surge there will be threads popping up here specifically referencing it.

My question is — a 1% change over what time frame? In a day? 

I’m sorry, I don’t think anyone is directly answering you question.  This is the wrong crowd.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 05:08:25 AM »

I’m sorry, I don’t think anyone is directly answering you question.  This is the wrong crowd.
Agreed... and I don't know of any such app.  However, I worry that installing such an app could do the user far more harm than good.  As Mustache ride said, if you want to avoid a loss you can place a limit order - by the time one is alerted to a drop its already happened and too late to do much about.  If its just for curiosity you're training your brain to react to largely meaningless daily fluctuations in the market when (hopefully) you ought to be concerned only with multi-year returns.

OP - you might want to ask this on the Yahoo Finance message boards or similar if you really want to find such a thing.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 05:19:40 AM »
The OP might be looking for a little market timing capability. I know in the last couple weeks with the given volatility - the market may have a large downward swing in a day or two - and then open up the next morning way up ... I would have enjoined tossing a few 100s, or 1000s if it was going down. Challenge though is with normal day to day functions - one is not monitoring the market all day.
Might be a fun exercise here and there with your play cash account - but its probably easier just setting and forgetting with DCO.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 05:31:54 AM »
The OP might be looking for a little market timing capability. I know in the last couple weeks with the given volatility - the market may have a large downward swing in a day or two - and then open up the next morning way up ... I would have enjoined tossing a few 100s, or 1000s if it was going down. Challenge though is with normal day to day functions - one is not monitoring the market all day.
Might be a fun exercise here and there with your play cash account - but its probably easier just setting and forgetting with DCO.

Beyond the "monitoring the market all day" problem, there's an even deeper flaw with this approach; it doesn't work.  Or at least, it doesn't yield better results than just your normal bi-weekly pre-scheduled contributions.  Many people have tried varying degrees of the approach to "invest immediately after the market drops X amount" and (spoiler alert!) they never pan out well.  Why?  Because you have to keep some cash on the sidelines waiting for those big drops.  If it's only a small amount and/or if you only invest after a minor drop (say 1%... something that happens on average once or twice per week) it's not enough to move the needle.  If you wait until much bigger drops and/or make bigger orders your portfolio starts to suffer from "cash drag"

Think of it this way - if this rather obvious-sounding strategy actually gave better returns than the benchmark, even by just a few basis points, a hundred savvy hedge-fund managers who actually DO watch the market continuously and actually CAN program in conditional buy orders, they would all be using this strategy.

Such 'strategies' emerge every couple years, but they always fall flat going forward.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »
Hi All, in reply to what my intentions are, it's purely curiosity.  It would be nice to know if the stock market dropped 500 points this morning without having to check on a frequent basis is all.  And being in the financial industry somewhat, its good for me to be on the leading edge of at least major market news.  It seems like I will check the markets every day for a few days and after a string of no change I won't check and sure enough that's the time when a friend will say a few days later "Can you believe what the market is doing lately?!"  And I will have no clue what's going on.

Not Sure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
Schwab allows you to create alerts like this.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 01:28:27 AM »
Try to win this game consistently and then consider what you are thinking.
https://engaging-data.com/market-timing-game/

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 04:56:56 AM »
Try to win this game consistently and then consider what you are thinking.
https://engaging-data.com/market-timing-game/
Interesting game, thanks for sharing the link.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 05:22:23 AM »
Just turn on notifications for this thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/top-is-in/

LOL I almost forgot about that thread. After predicting doom in October I held off my regular purchase for just a month and then kept buying through November, December and the subsequent recovery.

No more dry powder anymore however :)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »
TDAmertrade has alerts.  I am sure most other brokers have something similar.

https://tickertape.tdameritrade.com/tools/sound-price-alerts-15909

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!