Author Topic: Don't want to spend $150+ on floor mats. But what to do?  (Read 6414 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
Don't want to spend $150+ on floor mats. But what to do?
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »
I just moved into a rental apartment that is completely carpeted.  And I have three desks with three desk chairs on rollers.  These need floor mats because they simply do not work, move, roll, etc on the carpet.  Plus it will completely destroy the carpet as well. 

I need three made-for-carpet floor mats.  But, these things are freaking expensive.  Amazon has them for $50-70 each.  Is there a secret place where they can be had for cheaper?

I have one floor mat that was used at the old place on hard wood.  I tried it at the new place and doesn't work.  It's too soft, chair rollers dig into it and the carpet beneath, and I can tell it will break through very quick.

Any suggestions before I go and spend $150-200 dollars on these things?

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
Re: Don't want to spend $150+ on floor mats. But what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:36:59 AM »
not sure of price but Costco carries them as well. try freecycle and craigslist.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
I don't have Costco membership, but I've been looking in BJ's and didn't find them.

Been looking through craigslist too, but so far nothing showing up.  And we don't have active freecycle here. 

ETA: Just looked on Costo's website. They only one mat for carpet floors and it's tiny.  About a half size I need and still they want $35 for it. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:49:21 AM by FiguringItOut »

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:52:06 AM »
I shopped at Costco for two years without a card. I'd walk in 'talking/smiling' at someone or a family as though I was of course part of it.

At the checkout I'd turn to the person behind me (who obviously didn't want the line held up) and say I forgot the card, it was a work membership and wasn't sure under whose name: could I pay cash and use their card? They always said ok as it cost them nothing.

Now, I'm pretty sure you can get a day pass at Costco/BJ's although not sure which of them lets you buy something on that day pass? You could also just price shop via their online thing....although it would be cheapest buying it directly versus shipping.

On craigslist there's a "wanted" section and odds are someone wants to get rid of their old scuffed up one. There's also a barter section so maybe you have crap you've been dying to get rid of as well?

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 07:13:07 AM »
Got ours at Sam's Club for less than $20.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:15:21 AM »
Got ours at Sam's Club for less than $20.

We don't have Sam's Club

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
I think I would consider buying super cheap laminate flooring that snaps together and use that instead. If it's cheap enough it might be a cheaper alternative than the mats.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »
Flattened cardboard box? Or use a non-rolly chair.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:03 AM »
Costco has the normal sized ones that you see in offices for just under $18.  This might be a good time to get a membership.  If you wear contacts or like some of their food, you can save a lot of money.

kewper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Flattened cardboard box? Or use a non-rolly chair.

In line with this, why do you need your chair to roll? I have a desk chair that doesn't roll. But, then, I don't really spend a lot of time at my desk, so.... there's that.

CashFlowDiaries

• Stubble
  • Follow me on my journey to Financial Freedom!
    • Cash Flow Diaries
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »
I always check craigslist first if I want to find it cheaper.  Its great if you can find what you need.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04:13 PM »
You should be able to find these things in Staples or Office Depot, though the lowest I find there are 35 or so.

Ikea also has one for ~20, but I don't know how well they work on carpet, seems it looks like they're also meant for hard surface floor.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
I always check craigslist first if I want to find it cheaper.  Its great if you can find what you need.

Yeah, try used first.  People get rid of these all the time, sometimes even for free.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Might want to ask your office manager as well just in case. At my old place of work, they were constantly updating and moving stuff around and getting rid of used office furnishings (including tons of floor mats that end up in the garbage because they changed up a cube layout area and none of the mats fit any more... my own cube area had to have custom mats due to the reconfiguration so something like 20 mats were trashed from the old setup). You might luck out and they have some for free they were going to trash, or maybe getting ready to order some (at a bulk discount) and you might be able to purchase some from them (they order extra, you write the company a check).

firewalker

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
How about half inch finished plywood?

gomike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 11:56:53 PM »
Costco one is under $20, get a costco giftcard and then you can shop there without a membership.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 06:38:15 AM »
Costco one is under $20, get a costco giftcard and then you can shop there without a membership.

Brilliant suggestion. You might be able to get their free day pass, and if it doesn't allow you to make purchases (I don't know since I have their card) you could ask if you could purchase a gift card...or again (maybe it helps to be female) ask the next person in line at customer service if they'd buy you a 100 gift card or whatever.

Things like the organic pre washed baby spinach or organic carrots: totally worth it. I'm single and just buying food/gas/horse carrots pays for my membership and I probably make about $300-400 a year on rebates.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »
We just went through this for my SO's home office.  We ended up buying 2 boxes of the cheapest laminate flooring at Lowes and just snapped it together to act as a floating floor (on top of carpet).  Originally it was going to be used just for the desk chair but he wants to buy 2 more boxes and put that floor under the desk and tables he uses for work. 

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »
Ikea also has one for ~20, but I don't know how well they work on carpet, seems it looks like they're also meant for hard surface floor.

We have 3 of them and they have been used on (thin) carpet without problem. The product notice does say that you have to lift them regularly to avoid damage.

lizzigee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 05:01:38 PM »
Would you be able to get vinyl flooring remnants/offcuts from a flooring shop for next to nothing? Much easier than mucking around with laminate strips

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 06:46:48 AM »
Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Some of your ideas, though I think are perfect, simply would not work in my apartment with two desks being in high traffic area and another desk being a very small bedroom.  So although I do think to do a floating floor with vinyl or laminate, it simply would not work with the layout and change in flooring, sharp corners of the laminate sticking out over the carpet, etc.  I would've loved to have hard surface and not really adjusting well to the whole carpet thing. 

Also, where I am, I don't have Walmart or Sam's club, have Costco but no membership, and though I do have BJ's membership for couple more months, the closest BJ's is an hour.

I also didn't find anything on craigslist in my area.

What I ended up doing is expanding the search area on craigslist.  I planed an outing in the state park yesterday which is about an hour away. Since I was going to be driving that way anyway, I looked on craigslist for areas along the drive.  This was on Friday.  I found someone selling brand new floor mats for carpeted floors and they had multiple mats available.  But were selling them at the garage sale on Saturday.

I got in touch with them, explained that I will be in their area on Sunday and would like to pick up the mats then if they would hold three of them for me.  All was arranged and yesterday I picked up mats, 3 for $50, brand new, and only 10  minutes out of my way on the way to the outing. 

I have to say, I am very pleased with my purchase.  And I definitely see a huge difference in using the new mat vs the one I had which was for hard floor.  The new mat is much thicker and stand up to carpet much better and I don't feel like it will crack any second.