Author Topic: Don't know if I should be happy or sad (Taxes for 2016)  (Read 6453 times)

Duke03

• Bristles
Don't know if I should be happy or sad (Taxes for 2016)
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
I just did my income taxes for 2016 last night and I'm pleased to announce that I paid less in taxes in 2016 than I have in any year in the previous decade.  We are headed in the right direction.  Of course it helps having two kids, a stay at home wife, and $37,000 in total deductions. I refuse to let her go back to work as it would push us into ATM territory. I have a six figure income and max out all my retirement accounts and I get a lot of deductions for travel because of my job.  Total for 2016 I had to pay $4200 in income taxes.

Now on to the sad part.  My property taxes for 2016 where $6,600.  Kind of sad my property taxes are more than my income taxes.  I guess it's a trade off for living in a state with no income tax, but high property taxes.  I know in theory we could move and reduce that amount, but that isn't going to happened.  I've found out that when kids are involved it really does matter where you live and what schools they attend so that's just the cost we pay.  Anyone else pay more in property taxes than income taxes?  How did everyone else fare with the tax man this year?

nemesis

• Bristles
Re: Don't know if I should be happy or sad (Taxes for 2016)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Wow, you're an early bird to do your taxes!  I suspect most people haven't started even thinking about it yet.  We still are waiting for W2's, 1099's, 1098's, etc.   

I'll probably pay at least 10x of your taxes... don't know if that makes you feel better or worse, or make me feel better or worse.  Tax time is always fun... not.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Wow, you're an early bird to do your taxes!  I suspect most people haven't started even thinking about it yet.  We still are waiting for W2's, 1099's, 1098's, etc.   

I'll probably pay at least 10x of your taxes... don't know if that makes you feel better or worse, or make me feel better or worse.  Tax time is always fun... not.

Yea my company is Johnny on the spot when it comes to W-2s and my banks allow me to print off all my mortgage interest and other interest payments right away.  This is the first year I really stream lined my taxes.  Gave up my side gig at the end of 2015 so I wouldn't have to worry about 1099s any more.  It was just to much bs for an extra 7k a year in income.  Less when you figures taxes and how much more it complicated my returns every year.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
Although I have not done my taxes, in 2016 I started a defined benefit plan for the business which allowed me even more tax deferred space.  Although I have not done my taxes yet, I predict a significant reduction.  I am also hoping the republicans will cut taxes as well as make changes to the affordable care act that will decrease my premiums.  Every dollar helps.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
I just did my income taxes for 2016 last night and I'm pleased to announce that I paid less in taxes in 2016 than I have in any year in the previous decade.  We are headed in the right direction.  Of course it helps having two kids, a stay at home wife, and $37,000 in total deductions. I refuse to let her go back to work as it would push us into ATM territory. I have a six figure income and max out all my retirement accounts and I get a lot of deductions for travel because of my job.  Total for 2016 I had to pay $4200 in income taxes.

Wuh? Does she get any say in the matter?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
I used to get my taxes done the first week in Feb.
 Then I got a revised 1099 in middle March. Now,
I do my taxes in late March and continue to get a
revised 1099 in middle March. Kinda sucks!

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

LOL she tells everyone she is retired at the ripe old age of 32.  It just doesn't make sense for her to go back to work.  She'd make 40k to 50k a year and I bet it would only add an extra 10k or 15k to our budget.  By the time you pay for daycare for two kids, gas, lunch, work clothes ect and TAXES.  She's basically working for free and paying someone else to raise our kids.  No thanks

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »

LOL she tells everyone she is retired at the ripe old age of 32.  It just doesn't make sense for her to go back to work.  She'd make 40k to 50k a year and I bet it would only add an extra 10k or 15k to our budget.  By the time you pay for daycare for two kids, gas, lunch, work clothes ect and TAXES.  She's basically working for free and paying someone else to raise our kids.  No thanks
OP -- It was the way that you had phrased it in your post. If she really wanted to work in spite of the fact that she only brought in an extra 10-15K to the budget, would you refuse to let her?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
The problem with this forum.. and the internet in general I guess.. is that people pick up on the littlest things.

I get it - on one hand, it's man oppressing woman.

On the other hand, it's one partner saying firmly "listen, dear, I don't think you should go back to work because financially it doesn't make much sense, and I'd rather you stayed at home and looked after the children. How do you feel? ... Ok, let's do that then" and then saying in a completely offhand manner "I refuse to let them go back to work".

Jesus, if he's a wife beater picking up on that phrase isn't going to help. If he's not, he's not. Let's just assume we're NOT animals (I mean.. we're all animals). Modern, equality-loving humans that don't think "the wife's place is in the kitchen, or the bedroom, HA HA HA".

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 07:20:41 PM »
If I ever said "listen dear" to my partner she'd drop kick me in the teeth and rightfully so. It's not "every little thing" to say "I refuse" to a life partner regarding what they want to do with their lives.

Derpderpduhheeer lol wtf chill peepls!

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
The problem with this forum.. and the internet in general I guess.. is that people pick up on the littlest things.

On the other hand, it's one partner saying firmly "listen, dear, I don't think you should go back to work because financially it doesn't make much sense, and I'd rather you stayed at home and looked after the children. How do you feel? ... Ok, let's do that then" and then saying in a completely offhand manner "I refuse to let them go back to work".

Jesus, if he's a wife beater picking up on that phrase isn't going to help. If he's not, he's not. Let's just assume we're NOT animals (I mean.. we're all animals). Modern, equality-loving humans that don't think "the wife's place is in the kitchen, or the bedroom, HA HA HA".

You may try to laugh it away, but a large section of modern men still have the attitude that the wife's (or woman's) place is in the  home/kitchen/bedroom. About the only reason that such men are Ok with their wive's working is the financial need or benefit.  Not saying that the OP shares this attitude. But such phrases (as used by the OP) hint at it.

And daverobev -- if my partner used the exact words you used, I would begin to wonder about the lack of respect. It comes across as one sided and unequal. What if the partner derived joy from their work even despite the low income? 

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 07:36:25 PM »
There is always one person in the group looking to find trouble when none exists. It is sad and funny at the same time.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
To go back to the original question, our federal income taxes last year were just over $1200 (thank you child tax credit!).  Our state income taxes were twice that.
Our county/city property taxes were over $4200--more than federal and state income taxes combined... and our house's value is only about the median for the county.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »
There is always one person in the group looking to find trouble when none exists. It is sad and funny at the same time.

Clearly you are a man.  The comment was offensive all the way around.  And then the follow by some was too.  If you don't want other raising your children - stay home with them.  But don't "firmly" tell your wife she has to.  Not in my house anyway. 

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
Geez people. Who cares.

Anyway, nice job on the taxes. $4200 is a tiny bill. How much land/value is that $6,600 in property taxes on?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »
Great job OP!

As a single filer and no deductions I will pay ~$50k between state/fed -_-

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
Great job OP!

As a single filer and no deductions I will pay ~$50k between state/fed -_-

I'm sure a lot of people would happily trade income and taxes with you ;-)

bobcobb7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »

Clearly you are a man.  The comment was offensive all the way around.  And then the follow by some was too.  If you don't want other raising your children - stay home with them.  But don't "firmly" tell your wife she has to.  Not in my house anyway.

Another blow to sarcasm on the internet. It will be a lost art form thanks to anti-social media. Perhaps if he added "hahahaha" after the statement it wouldn't have been singled out. Of course "hahahaha" could be an evil laugh and he really is keeping his wife trapped at home. I guess we will never know.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »

You may try to laugh it away, but a large section of modern men still have the attitude that the wife's (or woman's) place is in the  home/kitchen/bedroom. About the only reason that such men are Ok with their wive's working is the financial need or benefit.  Not saying that the OP shares this attitude. But such phrases (as used by the OP) hint at it.

And daverobev -- if my partner used the exact words you used, I would begin to wonder about the lack of respect. It comes across as one sided and unequal. What if the partner derived joy from their work even despite the low income?

By "firmly" I mean "hey, I have been thinking about this a bit and this is what I've come up with".

If they came back with "er, no you turnip, I love my job" then the correct response is "oh, ok... well, sure, then. I guess I didn't think it through properly".

I'm not laughing anything away. It's a fucking disgrace that all humans in all situations aren't treated "equally" as much as they can be. But assuming that this faceless stranger on a forum is an evil mysogynist... well, whatever. As I said, I get it. Their wording was not great. But jumping down their throat is awful.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
Tax year in UK is April to April, but if I look at 2016 calendar year income tax was just over GBP £8000 for me (income tax + National Insurance, which is just another kind of income tax). There isn't the state/federal split as in the US. Council tax, equivalent to property taxes, was about GBP £1000 for the year (2 bed apartment). So higher income taxes and lower property taxes than the US, but of course we do have free healthcare.

Had I not significantly increased my pension contributions my income tax would have been about GBP £13000 in 2016, so I'm happy that's £5000 extra saved for my future (actually a bit more due to a share of employer tax savings I receive as well).

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
Hard to know how well you are doing in reducing your tax burden without knowing your income. Based on the numbers you have listed, my guess is that your income is around $100k, which means you're doing okay. If I'm close to right on your income, then you don't need to worry about the Alternative Minimum Tax (I assume this is what you mean by ATM) because that doesn't kick in until around $200k, and even then, only for around one-third of households with incomes at that level. So you still have quite a bit of space for either you or your wife to earn more before it becomes a serious concern for you.

States and localities must pay for infrastructure and services in some way, there is no way to avoid that, although they'll chose different combinations of taxing methods (e.g., property, incomes, sales) to achieve those ends. You'll pay for it in some way and it looks like your state prefers that way to be property and sales tax. So as far as your property tax, it's really hard to say whether it is high or low compared to people in other states, but since your state has no income tax your property tax does not seem particularly high.

For comparison's sake, my household paid $4500 in property tax and ~$5000 in state income tax, but we are a dual-income household and have an HHI (I think) about twice yours.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

Feminism is on the decline because crazy people have ruined a good thing just like this thread.

It is sad because there is so much more that needs to be done.  Monitoring every word in a forum is not one of them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:58:04 PM by EnjoyIt »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
I haven't done our taxes yet, but I wish we only paid $6,600 in property tax. That's actually what we paid when we bought the house in 2001. Property taxes for 2016 were  $11,603.31

Still, the guy who lives in the big house behind ours paid $65,161 in property taxes for 2015. Things could be worse!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
I haven't done our taxes yet, but I wish we only paid $6,600 in property tax. That's actually what we paid when we bought the house in 2001. Property taxes for 2016 were  $11,603.31

Still, the guy who lives in the big house behind ours paid $65,161 in property taxes for 2015. Things could be worse!

Holy crap $65k in just taxes.  They need over $1.5 million in savings just to pay property tax every year when fired.  Must be one hell of a house.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »

Holy crap $65k in just taxes.  They need over $1.5 million in savings just to pay property tax every year when fired.  Must be one hell of a house.

It is a huge house on eleven acres of land. Apart from what you can see here, there are two basement levels. One of my friends was over there all the time as a teenager, and said the owners are some of the nicest people you could hope to meet. As far as I know, they are involved in a family business, something to do with cruise ships.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
We were a married couple with no kids paying $60,000 just in federal tax.  We said screw that and now pay $0

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
We were a married couple with no kids paying $60,000 just in federal tax.  We said screw that and now pay $0

I'm assuming you did this by learning about and taking advantage of tax laws that reduced your taxable income.....and not merely just by refusing to pay the government?

I paid $12K in income taxes and $11K in property taxes.  If it wasn't for taxes I could probably retire.

ETA: I just realized that my quarterly tax payments last year were based on 2015 income, and I know I've  earned more in 2016 so I'll probably be up around $14-$15K in taxes.  Maybe I need a new accountant? 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:46:02 PM by h82goslw »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »

I'm assuming you did this by learning about and taking advantage of tax laws that reduced your taxable income.....and not merely just by refusing to pay the government?

Nope.  There were no tax laws that really helped out when you had no kids and no mortgage plus moderately high income.  We refused to pay the government by quitting our 60 hour a week jobs with 2 hour commute.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »
Total for 2016 I had to pay $4200 in income taxes.

hmmmmm $42,000 paid in income tax last year (including employment insurance and CPP) for DINKs. Kind of funny (AKA sad) that it's almost perfectly 10X yours, well done getting it that low.

$3600 in property tax (on a $380,000 house) so definitely can't complain on that front.

Based on what I have estimated we should be getting back about 6k-8k in income tax rebates, half because of graduate retention programs in my province and half from using up past RRSP room.

So overall $36k income tax and $3600 property tax.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:31:25 PM by Saskatchewstachian »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 02:29:15 AM »

Nope.  There were no tax laws that really helped out when you had no kids and no mortgage plus moderately high income.  We refused to pay the government by quitting our 60 hour a week jobs with 2 hour commute.

Nice! Not where I thought that was going. :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!