Poll

Do You?

Yes
No
What is Amazon Prime
I share with a friend/family member

Author Topic: Do you have Amazon Prime?  (Read 27684 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Do you have Amazon Prime?
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
So you'd go to the local shop and pay $110 for a pair of Teva sandals that you could buy online for $45? I'd gladly pay another $10-$15 to buy locally.

I think WalMart has had a bigger impact on the local businesses than Amazon. Amazon has so many off the wall things that nobody sells here anyhow.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
Nope, though I have had several "student" free trials over the years.  Amazon must have sensed I was on an edu network and lowered the Prime price, haha.  I like to use Amazon like it uses other people.  It's an abusive relationship.  Way I hear it, Amazon sucks up almost 50% of retail dollars or something like that.  So, when your town's downtown retail disappears and local workers can barely make ends meet, you know to go and look in the mirror.  Too bad we no longer have strong anti-trust laws.
-fixie

I don't understand the sympathy for brick and mortar stores that people have. They are an inefficiency.

Amazon only makes up ~50% of online retail sales, or 5% of all retail sales, and I'm willing to bet that the number will shrink as Wal-Mart and others are starting to offer the same two-day shipping without a monthly fee.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2019, 11:32:40 AM »

Amazon only makes up ~50% of online retail sales, or 5% of all retail sales, and I'm willing to bet that the number will shrink as Wal-Mart and others are starting to offer the same two-day shipping without a monthly fee.

ONLY 50%?  Haha, that completely dwarfs anything else.  Its closest competitor is Walmart which is 4%.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
That 5% number feels very low.  Does it count things like groceries, gasoline, or cars as "retail"?  If that's as a percentage of revenue, those alone would throw the numbers off a lot.  Amazon is probably 90% of my retail spending that isn't groceries or gasoline.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
That 5% number feels very low.  Does it count things like groceries, gasoline, or cars as "retail"?  If that's as a percentage of revenue, those alone would throw the numbers off a lot.  Amazon is probably 90% of my retail spending that isn't groceries or gasoline.

"Walmart accounts for roughly 8.9 percent of consumer retail spending in the U.S. and 2.8 percent of all consumer spending in the U.S.

At 6.4 percent and 2.1 percent, respectively, Amazon is nipping at the heels of Walmart’s share of consumer spending. Perhaps more troubling for Walmart, however, is that Amazon’s share of spend, overall and within retail, has grown rapidly over the last four years."

Amazon is much larger revenue wise due to AWS which is a profit machine.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »
I don't understand the sympathy for brick and mortar stores that people have. They are an inefficiency.

Another vote for "how did we ever do anything before the internet/cell phones/online shopping and free shipping etc. etc. ?" Brick and mortar are inefficient because you might not be sure of what they have in inventory and they can't and don't carry everything people want these days because everyone is ordering online, but it's still a hell of a lot easier to make a plan and go down and buy a handfull of hardware you need from an actual hardware store than it is to order it online, and from an older hardware store that might know what you're talking about instead of a company that doesn't have any experts to answer questions, such as Amazon.

I wish small brick and mortar stores could get online efficiently and keep up, but it's expensive.

Also that same day/second day shipping is pretty bad for the environment.

And that Amazon and Walmart are the biggest welfare queens in the United States.

alohaKane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
On student discount for last couple of years so we pay half for the membership ;p Plus with the first born (3 now) we always find kid stuff on a discount when compared to what we want on the store shelf. Wholefood discount seems to be running - no idea how much I'm saving tho. Since I'm done with school now I have more leisure time to take advantage of Prime video. Fun fact- they even have competitive price to outlet stores (ie. Hanes undershirt).

But I think it's somewhat becoming a bad habit for DH to just click and order random stuff. From time to time I try to check her.. Hoping it works. LOL

We barely have any mustache so go figure.. We still try tho.

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »
I canceled my Prime membership this year.  I used to use it all the time but in the last year I got so many counterfeits and knock offs that it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I bought a highly rated power cord and it turned out to be fake and damaged my iPad.  I went back to review it and it turned out most of the original reviews were fake and tons of people were now saying the cords had damaged their iphones/ipads.
I bought a Hepa filter which turned out to be fake and I got sick.
I bought a soap dish that turned out to be unable to withstand water (a soap dish!).
I bought a jewelry case that turned out to be fake.

Back in the day you could get good quality stuff from Amazon but lately, so much of what I buy doesn't last more than a year or two. 

So now I do all my shopping locally, mostly at Costco, or I order from Target.

I was tempted to get a health test kit from Amazon a few weeks ago because it was *so* much cheaper than the in store version.  But then I read the negative reviews and tons of people were saying the tests didn't work as advertised and they'd made medical decisions based on bad information. 

Until they can get a handle on their fake reviews and counterfeits it's not worth it to me.  When I buy something I want to know I got the genuine article.

Target complies with FDA requirements not to sell dangerous products.  Amazon doesn't.  I believe Target is liable if they sell you something that's been recalled (eg an unsafe baby product) whereas Amazon sells a range of unsafe and recalled products and avoids liability by saying they are a marketplace and the seller is the one responsible.

The recent WSJ articles on how Amazon has lost control of their Marketplace + my own experiences have convinced me that the cheap prices aren't worth it.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:05 AM »
I canceled my Prime membership this year.  I used to use it all the time but in the last year I got so many counterfeits and knock offs that it just wasn't worth it anymore.

I bought a highly rated power cord and it turned out to be fake and damaged my iPad.  I went back to review it and it turned out most of the original reviews were fake and tons of people were now saying the cords had damaged their iphones/ipads.
I bought a Hepa filter which turned out to be fake and I got sick.
I bought a soap dish that turned out to be unable to withstand water (a soap dish!).
I bought a jewelry case that turned out to be fake.

Back in the day you could get good quality stuff from Amazon but lately, so much of what I buy doesn't last more than a year or two. 

So now I do all my shopping locally, mostly at Costco, or I order from Target.

I was tempted to get a health test kit from Amazon a few weeks ago because it was *so* much cheaper than the in store version.  But then I read the negative reviews and tons of people were saying the tests didn't work as advertised and they'd made medical decisions based on bad information. 

Until they can get a handle on their fake reviews and counterfeits it's not worth it to me.  When I buy something I want to know I got the genuine article.

Target complies with FDA requirements not to sell dangerous products.  Amazon doesn't.  I believe Target is liable if they sell you something that's been recalled (eg an unsafe baby product) whereas Amazon sells a range of unsafe and recalled products and avoids liability by saying they are a marketplace and the seller is the one responsible.

The recent WSJ articles on how Amazon has lost control of their Marketplace + my own experiences have convinced me that the cheap prices aren't worth it.

YES, this has been a big concern for me too.  I was recently ordering some items for my baby (due next month) and skipped getting ANYTHING from Amazon.  I just couldn't run the risk that a product would have absolutely no vetting in regard to it being defective, recalled, made with excess lead/cadmium, or otherwise unsafe and not up to standard. 

I used to get just about everything from Amazon, so this is quite a shift. It's actually kind of nice to explore other retailers, since Amazon has such a chaotic, flea market feel to it. Other sites are better organized and often have their own free shipping deals.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2019, 10:30:18 AM »
We have it. But we rotate around all the streaming providers as we do watch alot of shows. We dont have cable so usually have 2 providers we actually pay for at a time that we rotate around to keep under 20$ a month.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
We have it. But we rotate around all the streaming providers as we do watch alot of shows. We dont have cable so usually have 2 providers we actually pay for at a time that we rotate around to keep under 20$ a month.
This is the only way to do it.  No reason to pay for a billion streaming services all at once.  It's not like cable where you essentially subscribe by the year.  You can always cancel and restart services at the drop of a hat.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2019, 10:37:13 PM »
Just signed up for Amazon Factorial.  Almost everything is free and it only costs $12.99! per month.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »
Just signed up for Amazon Factorial.  Almost everything is free and it only costs $12.99! per month.

Everything I know about factorials appears to be a lie.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2019, 09:28:15 AM »
Just got a message from Amazon that they will be ending my student discount :(. I haven't been a student in about 4 years (though thinking of going for a masters in about a year)

We decided we were mostly done with Amazon's streaming anyways. It's a convenient time to switch back to Netflix and catch up on the shows over there.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2019, 09:15:13 AM »
Never saw the point of Amazon Prime.

The most efficient way to use it is to buy things in bulk if they are cheaper on Amazon than local options. Buying in bulk should mean buying infrequently, ideally. So that means only a few purchases annually.

Everything else offered by Prime feels like a distraction.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: October 17, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
Oh hell no. Search for things, sort by price, and then unclick “prime.” The Prime stuff is all more expensive by a few dollars. AND you can get completely free shipping when you spend $25 anyway. Add that to their horrific quality control, poor search functionality to the point where you spend hours clicking “next page,” and the influx of cheap crap made in China and I genuinely don’t see the value.  There are better sites in more specialized areas that also have free shipping. I’ll use Amazon if I know what I’m looking for, and all I have to do is wait to spend $25 to check out. It’s NBD.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
Oh hell no. Search for things, sort by price, and then unclick “prime.” The Prime stuff is all more expensive by a few dollars. AND you can get completely free shipping when you spend $25 anyway. Add that to their horrific quality control, poor search functionality to the point where you spend hours clicking “next page,” and the influx of cheap crap made in China and I genuinely don’t see the value.  There are better sites in more specialized areas that also have free shipping. I’ll use Amazon if I know what I’m looking for, and all I have to do is wait to spend $25 to check out. It’s NBD.
I never have a problem searching on Amazon until I try to sort by price.  It's garbage once you do that but apart from that it's generally fine and I can find what I need in a few clicks.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
@ketchup are you going there knowing what you want, or going there to search for something? My point about sorting by price was just that the same items are more expensive when they are Prime. And my issue with Amazon is that, for example, if I want to find a set of wooden spoons for my kitchen or a new duvet cover, it is near impossible to find something that is quality because the reviews are all paid and they don't have any quality standards for their products. I actually sort price high to low to try to find something that could actually last and it's still really hard. I just prefer sites that curate good stuff for you so you don't have to wade through so much to find anything worth your while...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
@ketchup are you going there knowing what you want, or going there to search for something? My point about sorting by price was just that the same items are more expensive when they are Prime. And my issue with Amazon is that, for example, if I want to find a set of wooden spoons for my kitchen or a new duvet cover, it is near impossible to find something that is quality because the reviews are all paid and they don't have any quality standards for their products. I actually sort price high to low to try to find something that could actually last and it's still really hard. I just prefer sites that curate good stuff for you so you don't have to wade through so much to find anything worth your while...
I usually mostly know what I want.  If I search for "70 inch softbox" or "2001 Volvo V70 AC compressor" or "36 inch dog crate" I'll find one that's a brand I know is good and maybe Google search the model to see if it's listed elsewhere for less, or if the item has known flaws.  I don't typically have trouble finding something unless it's too specialized or weird for Amazon.

I have noticed what you mentioned about some items with Prime shipping being marked up.  That's not always the case, but it is indeed important to watch out for.

If I'm on the second page of search results, I probably did something wrong.  Just like the second page of Google results.

Now their search/UI for Prime Video? Absolute garbage.  Truly embarrassing for a trillion dollar tech company.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Other than the movie service and the 5% off at Whole Foods, is there really a reason one “needs” Amazon Prime?

It seems to me you can get everything, just without the 2 day free shipping.

Is there a way to get free shipping from Amazon without prime?

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2022, 06:13:36 PM »
Other than the movie service and the 5% off at Whole Foods, is there really a reason one “needs” Amazon Prime?

It seems to me you can get everything, just without the 2 day free shipping.

Is there a way to get free shipping from Amazon without prime?

Yeah you just order like $25 worth of stuff and you get free shipping, but it's not 2-day shipping.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »
We apparently use Amazon even less now than when I posted a few years ago. Not counting ebooks, of which we buy quite a few, in the last year we've bought these things on Amazon:

- Two bras
- One tablet protective case

So still no use for Prime for us.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2022, 06:44:15 AM »
Yes it's a life saver for us.  We live in a very rural area and the only way to buy most specialty items is via Amazon.  I wish there were another way but there isn't. 

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2022, 07:09:29 AM »
Yes it's a life saver for us.  We live in a very rural area and the only way to buy most specialty items is via Amazon.  I wish there were another way but there isn't.

Same here.  Nearest decent sized town is 100 miles away round trip.  Adding the cost of gas to drive there and back consistently makes Amazon less expensive.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2022, 07:27:31 AM »
But you don’t need Prime to shop on Amazon.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
Seeing this thread get resurrected, I wonder how many who complained about Prime or how it operates or packaging or cancelling decided to use it during the Pandemic.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for cancelling or using Prime. It is a shopping and delivery tool. Use it best depending on your location and lifestyle.

We use Prime because of shipping and convenience; running around to several stores in suburban area is sub-ideal, and then you find product/size is not in stock. Now you have retailers having different online vs in-store prices, and many items are online only, even though store pickup is an option.
I also buy specialty tools and parts; can't find these in the big box home improvement stores, or not in stock and have to order online. And air filters - can buy in bulk, better and cheaper than the crazy name-brand pricing at HD/Lowes.

But if you have Prime for the streaming video/music mainly, there are better options available. But I do enjoy the tons of old dubbed kung-fu/martial arts movies they've added, and punjabi/tamil/marathi/gujarati/other indian non-bollywood content.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:52:23 AM by jinga nation »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2022, 07:48:35 AM »
Seeing this thread get resurrected, I wonder how many who complained about Prime or how it operates or packaging or cancelling decided to use it during the Pandemic.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for cancelling or using Prime. It is a shopping and delivery tool. Use it best depending on your location and lifestyle.

We use Prime because of shipping and convenience; running around to several stores in suburban idea is sub-ideal, and then you find product/size is not in stock. Now you have retailers having different online vs in-store prices, and many items are online only, even though store pickup is an option.
I also buy specialty tools and parts; can't find these in the big box home improvement stores, or not in stock and have to order online. And air filters - can buy in bulk, better and cheaper than the crazy name-brand pricing at HD/Lowes.

But if you have Prime for the streaming video/music mainly, there are better options available. But I do enjoy the tons of old dubbed kung-fu/martial arts movies they've added, and punjabi/tamil/marathi/gujarati/other indian non-bollywood content.

As has been noted, we use Amazon, we just don't submit the order until the cart is full enough to qualify for free shipping. We have paid for shipping a handful of times over the years, but it has been minimal.

DH did use a free trial during the pandemic to watch movies his colleagues in India recommended, but it has consistently been our least favorite streaming service when we have these free trials, so we have never paid.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2022, 07:49:50 AM »
I generally agree with Lady Stash as I have gotten some truly garbage knockoffs in the past couple of years ("apple" earbuds that I didn't catch were not & literally broke in half in my ears the first day, "leather shoes" that were very cheap plastic, etc.)

At the same time I drove around for 2 hours and 4 stores yesterday trying to get a few things I needed that weren't in stock or weren't the design options I wanted (thus the 4 stores.) Ugh. And if you go to Amazon's legit vendors (like their apple store) you get good prices and free fast shipping on exactly what you want without driving around. So I get it if you love Amazon Prime, particularly if you are rural.

But my main annoyance with Amazon is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpxAvjD_30

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2022, 08:03:19 AM »
But my main annoyance with Amazon is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQpxAvjD_30

I get his point about the product naming... possibly a first-world problem "OMG they use 5 diff titles, each with the word chair in them".
I've bought specialty tools with weird manufacturer and product names, don't care, they work.
Just LOL'ing on the sponsor of the video: an Israeli data privacy start-up that runs on Amazon's AWS competitor: Google Cloud Platform.
Coincidence? Hmmm...

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2022, 08:19:21 AM »
I dislike Amazon and don't have prime, but I do order things a couple times a year when an in person alternative isn't available or would be more complicated to find. They're useful for things like phone accessories, sometimes books that are hard to find, and things like pet carriers when none of my local options fit my specific needs. I always wait until I have $35 worth so I can get free shipping, but that's another thing I hate about it. All the items ship separately anyway, last time I bought something for $34 and threw in a $1 candy to avoid $5 shipping, and still got two packages - it just seems so wasteful so I do it as rarely as possible.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2022, 08:34:57 AM »
Ordered a soundbar/sub combo from prime. received in 2 days to replace a dead one. hooked up and placed in service. (old soundbar covered under credit card warranty, got my money.)
a week later, received an identical soundbar. contacted prime support. they have no details on a duplicate shipment. hence can't process a return. in other words, you got a freebie, keep it. but i have only 1 TV, so will use it as a pool area music system.

Once I received a random large box full of office stationary. amazon said don't know, can't track, even with the UPS tracking number on box. Donated to charity.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »

The shipping benefits are worth it for me.  I'd rather go to a local store but they just don't exist around here.  I can order a book at 9pm one night and it's literally delivered the next afternoon. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2022, 12:20:31 PM »

Nope.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »

The shipping benefits are worth it for me.  I'd rather go to a local store but they just don't exist around here.  I can order a book at 9pm one night and it's literally delivered the next afternoon.

Ah, I could see where that could be a benefit in a rural area. If we have to wait any longer than that in the city, it is usually a supply chain issue. Basically, I wouldn't doubt that we derive some benefit from our neighbors ordering from Amazon daily with their Prime membership: our stuff just gets thrown in the same truck.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2022, 06:10:11 PM »
After reading through all of this, I will definitely be cancelling this year.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2022, 03:03:05 AM »
I buy many small things from Amazon, and I'm looking forward to watching Thursday night football.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2022, 02:30:36 PM »
I posted back in March 2019 saying that I used Amazon a lot, but my way of using it has significantly shifted since then.

The whole site started to seem difficult to trust, with tons of cheap knock-off junk and fake reviews. I was occasionally receiving items that seemed broken or not-quite-right in some way.

When I had a child, I did not want to get ANY baby-related items from Amazon since I had no way of knowing whether they'd be legit and safe for an infant. At that point I shifted most of my online purchases to other retailers that seem to have more quality control.

When I'm googling for something to buy online, I'll add "-amazon" to specifically remove Amazon results from the search, since there is so much pure junk that will turn up from there.

I do still get significant Amazon cash-back from my credit card. I use it for really basic things, like used books and specific items that I am not so worried about being faked. But Amazon is no longer my go-to for any purchase as it was a few years ago.

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2022, 04:50:35 PM »
No. I get free shipping without Prime by simply adding a gift card to my supermarket to my order. This instantly pushes me over Amazon's free shipping minimum. I don't need to get it in 2 days.

I don't really care for any of the other perks of Amazon Prime. Its been so long that I don't really remember what those other perks were.

MustacheExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2022, 01:51:42 PM »
I have Prime, mainly for the free shipping.   I order a lot of cheap (under $10) parts though Amazon and I want them now vs bundling and waiting for free shipping so it has value to me.

Once in a while I watch something,  currently watching "The Terminal List".

I'll also order for my Mom to save her shipping when it applies.   She also watches some Prime video.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2022, 02:56:45 PM »
The Amazon Prime Video is okay when used through a Roku. The website version is like any other streaming service - a bit overwhelming with all the info and other suggested titles.

We use it because we live in a small town and traffic. I don't like driving around town hunting for just the right thing so I do much of my shopping on websites first.

And we won't drive 100 miles one way to the big city just to go shopping. Traffic. Gas prices. Wear and tear. Time.

I've found Amazon and eBay to be great for odd-ball tools and home things. For mainstream name brand stuff not as much.

I can buy 100 stainless steel 1/4"-20 bolts for far less online for example than I can buy them locally in tiny quantities.

And definitely price compare. I quit Sears b/c their website pricing really went out of control once they allowed in 3rd part resellers. Made me doubt all their prices were even in the same universe as everyone else.

bax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2022, 03:58:47 AM »
Yes, but with an asterisk. I’m on a student membership which is $60 a year. I also do the Amazon shopper panel submitting 10 receipts per month. So far from March 2021 to July 2022 I have totaled $150 from it. So in a way they’re paying me to be a prime member.

Tempname23

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2022, 06:00:15 AM »
I have had Prime for many years, we did watch Amazon Prime but the last few years haven't paid much attention to it. I liked the 2 day shipping, but we no longer get that on anything, the holdup seems to be after it gets to our local postal system. I'm not sure what I'm getting for my membership fee.
  I have spent $800 on 37 products so far this year.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2022, 06:23:33 AM »
I have had Prime for many years, we did watch Amazon Prime but the last few years haven't paid much attention to it. I liked the 2 day shipping, but we no longer get that on anything, the holdup seems to be after it gets to our local postal system. I'm not sure what I'm getting for my membership fee.
  I have spent $800 on 37 products so far this year.

This is more or less us.  We watch Judy Justice, and we like the fast shipping.  But the fast shipping does come at major ecological cost, which we are not fans of.  Also, most items you can prepare for and purchase within a week and don’t need urgently, or can pick up in a local store on the way home from work with a much lower carbon footprint.

We do like their “subscribe and save” system, and some products like nuts are much more affordable priced on Amazon.  Also, some higher end air filters that are not carried by Walmart or Target can be subscribed and saved.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
No currently, but I did for a month between June and July and will again for another month at the end of the year based on past experience.  Mid-year is when I stock up for outreach programs since the kinds/quantities of electronic components we use aren't something that show up in any local shops (and the prime discount is more than worth it on a couple of them), and then end-of-year is holidays and different items going different places where 'add a gift card' doesn't always make sense.  So far my memberships have lined up pretty well with free promotions (ie 'we haven't seen you in a while, can we tempt you with a free <week/month>?'), and I hope that continues, but even if it doesn't paying for two months is worth it for what I use it for.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2022, 04:31:18 AM »
Yes, but I'm really considering ending it when it comes up for renewal.  I live in a fairly rural area, so being able to get things that I can't get here is nice.  But looking at my order report tells me that I'm likely not using it enough to justify the cost of Prime, even with the "free" shipping.  Almost everything I buy is either either over the free shipping limit or isn't an immediate need and can be combined with other items to get to the free shipping limit.  Plus, now that the Netflix that I've been shamelessly pirating from my parents' account for the last 5 years has gone away (they ended their subscription), I'm learning that I really watched a whole lot more Netflix than I realized, and thus not watching nearly as much Prime video content. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2022, 04:54:54 PM »
We signed up for it earlier this year again, but I just logged on to get rid of it because we have not used anything Amazon, certainly not Prime, in three months and paid $45 for the privilege. But... The Rings of Power is now playing and I reeeaaalllllly want to watch that. Oh well no time and not worth $15/mo. Future binge maybe/