Author Topic: Do you ever get "The Look"?  (Read 60994 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Do you ever get "The Look"?
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2023, 02:38:52 PM »
So 1.5 years ago we bought a new car.

The sales manager is showing us all the features.. His cell phone rang and it was obviously one of his juniors and the one sided convo went.. "no we don't need to run their credit, they are paying cash"... Didn't hear the long reply but the sales manager turned away and had about a 5 minute conversation and I barely overheared words like "Stop...." and "No look".

I can only imaging what was actually being said .. Like.. Really! don't F with these people or they will walk..

He comes back to the shiny new SUV to go resume sales pitch mode and I ask naively "So you still want to run our credit?".. big smile.

Oh no no no, misunderstanding.. So I said "You could try but all of our credit union accounts are locked down because we don't borrow money".. Yeah he gets it.

Later at in front of the junior paperwork dude... "so.. What do you guys do?".. Oh we been retired for 8 years..:)

Yup there is "The look"...:)

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2023, 04:36:14 PM »
Last time I got the look was from the MiL. DW's parents have no clue whatsoever about our situation, and likely assume we struggle because I'm known for waiting for cheaper flights, preferring to eat at home, working on my own car, and so forth.

Conversation from last December:

MiL: [feeling discouraged] "We've been paying on the mortgage for 23 years and owe almost as much as we started with." (multiple re-finances for unnecessary home projects)
DW: "You should have [lilkidjesus] look over your finances"
MiL: [disregarding DW's comment]: "What interest rate do you guys have on your mortgage?"
DW: "We don't have one."
MiL: "What do you mean?"
DW: "I mean, we don't have a mortgage. Our house is paid off."
MiL: THE LOOK

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2023, 05:13:21 PM »

As an aside, I may have poisoned my children's thinking on this.  My oldest just bought his first house with a mortgage, and he was a bit flummoxed that people call themselves homeowners when they have mortgages.  I tried to say that's just the way people talk about it, but he'd certainly prefer that the word was defined as "owns house, no mortgage".

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2023, 05:23:05 PM »

As an aside, I may have poisoned my children's thinking on this.  My oldest just bought his first house with a mortgage, and he was a bit flummoxed that people call themselves homeowners when they have mortgages.  I tried to say that's just the way people talk about it, but he'd certainly prefer that the word was defined as "owns house, no mortgage".

We always said "we co-own the house with the bank."  Having no mortgage is lovely.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2023, 05:52:29 PM »
I used to get the look whenever we made a larger cash transaction.   Downpayment on our current house.   Cash purchase on my 04 pickup and DW's 08 yaris.   

But I'm getting better at hiding it now.   Also it's more common for people in their 50's to pay cash than people in their 30's.

Last year we had a problem where a lawyer thought that we couldn't afford an undertaking because I wanted some idea of how much it would cost.   If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it!
  People seem to have no idea that larger expenditures require some degree of tax planning and investment planning.   It's bizarre.

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2023, 06:06:18 PM »

We always said "we co-own the house with the bank."  Having no mortgage is lovely.

Some nitpickery 'cause I guess I'm feeling ornery today :) ...

I hear this all the time and, while I understand the sentiment, it's also just plain wrong. A homeowner with a mortgage owns the house and owes the debt. If the house appreciates like crazy none of it accrues to the lender. Likewise, if the house loses value the lender doesn't take a hit unless you default on the loan, and even then there's a decent chance they're made whole due to the down payment.

That said, we paid off our mortgage 10+ years ago and it's great. I understand the math that says a tax deductible fixed low interest mortgage is more financially optimal, but in FIRE it's fantastic to have very low expenses and fly under the radar of the taxman.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
We recently got two opposite looks in one conversation.

We were on a road trip to some national parks. At one park, after some camping, we booked a night at the lodge to get cleaned up and enjoy the views. We chatted with an older couple there -- early 60s?

Them: "How long are you traveling for?"
Us: "About 3 weeks, maybe longer. We're not sure yet."
<look #1, surprised and befuddled>
Them: "Oh! What are you in?"
Us: "In?"
Them: "What are you driving?" (meaning, I assume, what kind of RV)
Us: "Oh, a Prius. We camp and occasionally get a hotel room."
<look #2, surprised and pitying>

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2023, 07:41:35 PM »
I got it some years ago when I was much younger and paid cash for a car. I'd told the sales guy I didn't need financing, but when we sat down to close the deal, he brought it up again. I got the look when I brought out my checkbook and asked what the total was. He seemed rather uncomfortable after that.

I did finance my car when it was bought many years ago, but the guy thought I didn't understand credit scores when I told him mine was in the low 800s.

Easiest way to get “the look” ever is simply drive a 25-year-old car, or take the bus. Stealth wealth FTW.

There tend to be things that sneak through. We were out and about on a Tuesday afternoon and someone asked DH what day it was. DH stuttered, told him the wrong day, then went back to correct himself. The guy gave him The Look and even said he doesn't look like someone who should struggle with that.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2023, 08:08:48 PM »
lienholder

This word!

I was crashed into while minding my own business stopped at a stoplight.
Oh, what fun, I have to talk to insurance companies!

Phone agent: And who is the lienholder?
Me: The what?
Phone agent: lienholder.
Me: Lienholder?
Phone agent: Yes, who loaned you the money to buy the vehicle.
Me: Why would I have a loan?
Phone agent: Do you have the title?
Me: Yes, it's in my file drawer.

It's like getting "The Look" over the phone. Does no one actually own their car anymore? Weird.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:45 PM »
My in-laws (early 60's) were asked to supply investment statements proving they could pay for their house in cash. Apparently no one does that anymore.
We just bought a house for cash in Sweden, and we're being interrogated on the origin of the money by both the bank and realtor. There are strong money laundering laws in Sweden and apparently being able to buy a house for cash is cause for suspicion. It's kind of infuriating, they make it very difficult to effect a property transaction with cash. You'd think you just transfer the money to the seller's account, but noooo.

I dunno about any looks though, because it's all done virtually. ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2023, 05:48:57 AM »

Some nitpickery 'cause I guess I'm feeling ornery today :) ...

I hear this all the time and, while I understand the sentiment, it's also just plain wrong. A homeowner with a mortgage owns the house and owes the debt. If the house appreciates like crazy none of it accrues to the lender. Likewise, if the house loses value the lender doesn't take a hit unless you default on the loan, and even then there's a decent chance they're made whole due to the down payment.

That said, we paid off our mortgage 10+ years ago and it's great. I understand the math that says a tax deductible fixed low interest mortgage is more financially optimal, but in FIRE it's fantastic to have very low expenses and fly under the radar of the taxman.

The perils of written versus oral communication.  I suppose I should have written

We always said "we co-own the house with the bank."  /s    ;-)

Of course in reality we owned the equity and the debt that went with it, and we knew it, but it was a more fun/sarcastic way of saying we had a mortgage.  We were not talking with finance nerds either.

Also as a Canadian I did not have a tax deductible mortgage.  The tax rules are different here.  It does affect the planning.  And the paperwork is so simple when selling a mortgage-free house.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2023, 07:33:39 AM »
I'm glad someone revived this thread, I had forgotten about it. So good!

lienholder

This word!

I was crashed into while minding my own business stopped at a stoplight.
Oh, what fun, I have to talk to insurance companies!

Phone agent: And who is the lienholder?
Me: The what?
Phone agent: lienholder.
Me: Lienholder?
Phone agent: Yes, who loaned you the money to buy the vehicle.
Me: Why would I have a loan?
Phone agent: Do you have the title?
Me: Yes, it's in my file drawer.

It's like getting "The Look" over the phone. Does no one actually own their car anymore? Weird.

I feel this one too @Zamboni , we had someone drive into both(!!) of our cars that were parked in our driveway one night, then run off leaving the stolen totaled car in our lawn. One, two, three, three totaled cars, Ha, ha ha.   We had paid cash for the vehicles so no loans.  So talking to insurance at 2am from my driveway in my jammies, yes I have the titles they are in my file cabinet.  Luckily they just wanted the basics and we could do most of the paperwork later in the week.

Overall it was a pretty surreal experience.  I almost got the police officer to laugh when I asked him if we could have the Honda civic as a consolation prize since the dude left it in my yard.  The cop gave a look, then realized I was joking- sorta.  I don't think he expected DH and I to be so jovial after the accident and that early in the morning.  We were just happy no one was hurt and that the cars protected the house :D.

Loren

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »
Last week my wife was sitting on the front porch when a door-to-door roofing salesman came by.

Salesman: "Your roof has really bad damage from that hail storm"
Wife: "Really? Where?"
Salesman: *Hands her a pamphlet* "What insurance company do you use? I can work with them to get a new roof covered"
Wife: "We don't have an insurance company"
Salesman: "Oh, so you're renters?"
Wife: "No, we self-insure"
Salesman: *Gives the look* "Can I have my pamphlet back?" *walks away*

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »
I get the look when I'm with my Dave Ramsey friends and I mention I'm not paying off the mortgage because the money is too good.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2023, 12:28:54 PM »
I get the look when I'm with my Dave Ramsey friends and I mention I'm not paying off the mortgage because the money is too good.

Nice one..:)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2023, 02:11:11 PM »
I think the power of compound interest is unknown to most folks. A friend is going to be starting a job soon with a 401k. I was trying to educate her a little on the benefits of investing a lot, and early, and how compound interest can really add up over time. I asked her how much she thought she'd have if she invested even 10% of her salary every year for several decades. She guessed around $50K. When I told her, conservatively, it would be over a million, her reaction was "...What!?". So I guess I got "the look" but from an educational standpoint.

I convinced a young co worker to contribute up to the match in her 401k. She was part time, 22 years old. Living with her parents and spoiled. I told her don't worry it will only be $25 a week. Well we got paid and she flipped out because it was $50 (we got paid biweekly) and she couldn't afford that. I asked her what exactly she couldn't afford, since she lived at home and had no bills. She said she had credit card bills and started naming off various mall clothing stores.

This same girl made a comment about a customer who had $60k in her bank account. She said "if I had $60k, I wouldn't be driving a car like that. I'd be driving a much nicer car." I said the reason she has $60k is because she drives a "car like that".

I love this thread and glad to see it back. I think the story above is the perfect representation of this thread because (at a theoretical level) this thought process and result is the origin of "the look."

The reason why people with t-shirts, jeans and cheap cars have so much money in their bank account is because they don't buy fancy stuff. It's such a simple concept, but at the same time, an extremely difficult concept for Americans to understand.

I contributed to this thread in 2017, when my net worth was around 450K. Now 6 years later, it has tripled. Nowadays, at work (community college professor), I actually don't get "the look". I get respectful questions along the lines of, "How did you do that?" I'm a 43 year old male, so having money, isn't completely out of the question. However, faculty salaries are fairly low at my college, so it's not normal. When I bought my house for 280K with a mortgage rate of 4.125%, I got some questions of how I pulled it off.  I think the disbelief was coming up with a down payment of 5%, which is kind of sad because it's only 14K + closing costs. I failed to mention that I put down 20%.

When I'm not at work, I will occasionally get "the look." When in regular clothes (typically surfer or skater style), I have the opportunity to occasionally look younger, especially when I'm wearing a hat, which hides the fact that I'm balding. 

I was at the Kauai airport in April/May 2019 talking to a friend and he introduced me to one of his friends and we were having a friendly 3-person chat on where we were going. I was flying to California for two job interviews (age 39). My friend (age 35) was getting paid to fly to Arizona for a musical performance. His friend (age 55) was semi-retired and flying back to South Dakota because his 5-6 month winter in Hawaii was over. He locked up the house and will be back in October. My friend then shared to his friend that I recently bought a house in June 2018 and typically go to the mainland for 3 months during the summer (similar to him). He was surprised and then said, "You got a small plantation house?", which is typically 900 to 1200 sq. ft. and no garage. I replied with "No, it's a custom home that's about 2500 sq. ft. with a large covered deck and a 2.5 car garage." He then gave me "the look" and was confused. I then responded with, "The upstairs is 1850 sq. ft. and we rent out the basement separately, which is about 650 sq. ft. to help off-set the cost of the mortgage." He was more comfortable with that follow up response and made sense to him and it was all good.

I have one more story, which is related to the "yard work in front yard" story on the first page of comments. My wife and I were staying in the lower level 650 sq. ft. apartment last summer for 8 weeks on Kauai. During the first or second week of occupancy, I'm doing yard work in the front yard, covered in Kauai red dirt. A friend of the upstairs tenants parked their truck in our parking lot. The upstairs tenants know that guests should be parking in the drive-way and not in the parking lot for the lower level tenants. The gravel parking lot is on a slope and loose gravel can get spit up by tires and hit other cars in that lot. As a result, upstairs guests are not allowed in the lower level gravel parking area.

I politely asked the upstairs tenants to have their friend park in the driveway or on the side of the road. The guest politely agrees and moves his truck and re-enters the house. About 15 minutes later, he leaves the property and drives away and we politely waive to one another. About 30 minutes later, he comes back and parks in the same spot. Before he enters the house, I asked him why he parked in the same spot again. He responded with, "It's ok, I will only be here for a few minutes" I then responded with, "It's not ok, even for a few minutes. You are not allowed to park in that area, ever. You need to move your vehicle." I wasn't disrespectful, but I was very firm. He was really confused and then moved his vehicle. He was in the house for about 30 minutes and then as he was leaving decided to chat me up.

His first question was how much I liked "landscaping." He implied "for a living", but didn't say that. I replied with, "I like it very much. I love being outside." His tone then became very disrespectful and sarcastic to the point that the upstairs tenants decided to come outside to see what was going on. My upstairs tenants were embarrassed and horrified by how their friend was talking to me that they politely said that it was time for him to make his next appointment and walked him to his vehicle. He was very confused but agreed with his friend. I'm not sure if the upstairs tenants explained to him that I was the owner and not a landscaper. However, when the upstairs tenants walked back they gave me an empathetic look and said, "sorry about that."

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2023, 06:59:46 AM »
I contributed to this thread in 2017, when my net worth was around 450K. Now 6 years later, it has tripled.

When I first read this I thought, Wow, lucky! Wish I had money...

My second thought was, no, I should be happy for Clark and congratulate him.

Then I thought, I wonder how our net worth has changed in that time? ... We are up 430% since this thread began.

I don't know whether to be happy because of the crazy gain, gloat because I beat Clark, or give myself "the look" because it sure doesn't feel like we have money.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2023, 07:14:11 AM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
Last time I got the look was from the MiL. DW's parents have no clue whatsoever about our situation, and likely assume we struggle because I'm known for waiting for cheaper flights, preferring to eat at home, working on my own car, and so forth.

Conversation from last December:

MiL: [feeling discouraged] "We've been paying on the mortgage for 23 years and owe almost as much as we started with." (multiple re-finances for unnecessary home projects)
DW: "You should have [lilkidjesus] look over your finances"
MiL: [disregarding DW's comment]: "What interest rate do you guys have on your mortgage?"
DW: "We don't have one."
MiL: "What do you mean?"
We live in a HCOLA and we paid cash for our home, so we never "paid it off" exactly. We never, ever tell people this, as we don't want to be a target. Whose business is it anyway?

Sidebar: apparently I made the last comment in 2017, so I figured I should add my .02 to the revival.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2023, 01:09:05 PM »
I'm glad this old thread came back to life. I reread the whole thing from start to finish!

I don't have any recent stories about getting The Look. As I've grown older, I've become much less open with friends and family about personal finances. It just makes life simpler when no one asks me for a loan cash gifts to support their lifestyles, which are far more wasteful than mine.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2023, 02:50:21 PM »

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2023, 05:22:13 PM »
Got the look when New York passed free tuition. A friend was standing in my entryway and mentioned it, and we just said, "oh, we make too much."

He was very confused because we only had 1 bathroom, and the house kinda sucked in some ways.

People believe me now because I have a much nicer house, but then they are confused about why I drive a 13-yo van and don't have a 2nd car (though my wife did test drive a 2020 Subaru Forrester, and I'm confident she'll get it).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Do you ever get &quot;The Look&quot;?
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2023, 05:28:59 PM »
Does "The Look" for being visibly trans count?

This is a look I am all too familiar with.  I run a trans support org here and my youngest is trans.

This is an awful look. I'm so sorry you guys have to go through that.

I used to work in the local welfare office some years ago and we had a few trans clients. I was absolutely shocked to see what they went through, both from other people in the waiting room and from my own coworkers. I tried to talk about it to my coworkers and to our boss, but I could just not get my point across why it is hateful to address someone with the wrong pronouns on purpose or to act like being trans is something like a dangerous sexual perversion. I had heard from a trans friend that these things happened, and I believed him, but until you get a glimpse of how some people actually behave, you don't truly believe how bad it can get. I did apologise for the behaviour of my coworker, but there's no apology possible for such humiliation. The damage has been done and can't be undone.

On the plus(ish) side, it pushed me towards home ownership and trying to achieve FI. My counter to "the look" is being visibly trans AND visibly successful. Just not the pretend kind of successful that leads to filing for bankruptcy in 3 years.
Good for you. And congrats on all of your success.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
Can’t get the look if you don’t make eye contact

Was going to post the following song but then I realized I remembered the lyrics wrong.  But then I decided to post it anyways because it’s kinda mustachian that we can be happy underground

https://youtu.be/rWB8vwr175I&t=48
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 11:33:59 PM by dragoncar »

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2023, 03:05:09 AM »
I get The Look every time my coworkers start discussing 401k contributions, and I'm asked how much I put into my 401k.

When I said that I planned to max it out, one coworker said "You mean like, 10%?" They thought that 10% was the maximum you were allowed to contribute to a 401k. When I explained that no, you can in fact contribute 100% of your paycheck if you want, up to the maximum annual contribution, they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

I also was once discussing taxes with a coworker who is of the opinion that taxation is theft and paying taxes is bullshit. I pointed out that you can reduce the amount you pay in taxes by contributing more money to your pre-tax 401k, then later using the Roth Conversion Ladder to potentially avoid taxes on it altogether. I may as well have been speaking Greek.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2023, 05:23:20 AM »

I also was once discussing taxes with a coworker who is of the opinion that taxation is theft and paying taxes is bullshit. I pointed out that you can reduce the amount you pay in taxes by contributing more money to your pre-tax 401k, then later using the Roth Conversion Ladder to potentially avoid taxes on it altogether. I may as well have been speaking Greek.

Every conversation I've had about money and savings with a "taxation is theft" zealot may as well have been me speaking Greek (except for with one person I briefly lived with, who was from Greece).  When your view of money is so extremely self-centered and an extreme outlier it's not surprising that you can't get passed the idea of paying taxes to discuss tax optimization strategies. I think it's baked into the cake, not unlike trying to have a discussion about what 'sensible' firearm policy might be to a "second amendment absolutist".

I've had a few conversations about tax-optimization strategies with 'regular' people, and the sense I most often get is that setting up a conversion ladder is so far beyond their comfort zone and understanding it's like suggesting to someone who's never operated a miter saw that they can build their own shed with windows and full electrical. They might understand a few words like "stud" and "siding" but putting it together seems daunting with a perceived risk of failure.

It doesn't help that there's a multi-billion dollar industry designed to convince people that taxes are hopelessly complex and self-investment is a path to ruin, so they must ceed control of their finances to "professionals" armed with technical-sounding terms.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2023, 05:53:46 AM »
I used to drive an old beat to shit metro. Was at sam's club one day, helping a random lady load up her 50 lb bag of dog food. After I was done helping:

Her: "I'm a real estate agent with xx company, I bet I can get you a lower mortgage payment than what you pay in rent."
Me: "Thanks but, I don't pay rent"
Her: *confused look* "Oh, I see. I guess you still live with your parents?"
Me: "No"
Her: *even more confused* "Do you own a home?"
Me: "Yes"
Her: "I can probably get you a lower mortgage. I have some cheap houses for sale in xx (a low income) city"
Me: "Actually I don't have a mortgage"
Her: *visibly confused, does double take, looks at me, looks at my car, looks back at me again* "You own your own home outright?"
Me: "Yes"
Her: *confused look* "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a lead software engineer at xx tech company. Our software is deployed to yy locations around the world and serves zz purpose. I'm also a landlord and own xx properties."
Her: *holy shit look* *long pause* "I also have some nice houses in xx (most wealthy city around) if you're interested?"
Me: "No thanks. I just stopped by to help you load up your dog food. Have a good day!"
Her: "You too!" *Still with confused look*

I still think back on this conversation and it cracks me up to this day, lol. 😂

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2023, 06:48:46 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8mvZzZIcU

I had to give Roxette the look at the end of the video when she sat on the crapper and gave me 'the look'

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2023, 07:32:26 AM »
I'm not certain that I got "the look" because I avoided making eye contact, but a few years ago I helped my father make a cash deposit at his bank.  The amount was unusually large.  We had three fully loaded bankers boxes, which required a hand truck to roll through the front door of the bank.  I'm sure none of the customers had any idea that we were hauling 105 lbs of $100's to the safe deposit vault, but I still felt the look from the bank staff.

Later I returned to the bank, a number of times, for counting sessions with a bank manager to unwrap, machine count, rewrap, and initial each bundle, to actually deposit the funds into the bank.  Those counters seem pretty fast as they zip through a bundle, but it still took hours & hours to process them all.  It was a surreal experience.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2023, 08:00:52 AM »
I'm not certain that I got "the look" because I avoided making eye contact, but a few years ago I helped my father make a cash deposit at his bank.  The amount was unusually large.  We had three fully loaded bankers boxes, which required a hand truck to roll through the front door of the bank.  I'm sure none of the customers had any idea that we were hauling 105 lbs of $100's to the safe deposit vault, but I still felt the look from the bank staff.

Later I returned to the bank, a number of times, for counting sessions with a bank manager to unwrap, machine count, rewrap, and initial each bundle, to actually deposit the funds into the bank.  Those counters seem pretty fast as they zip through a bundle, but it still took hours & hours to process them all.  It was a surreal experience.

Hah, that's awesome!  How much were you moving?  That must have been a ton.

I once wanted to transfer 20k from my bank to another bank.  My bank wanted to charge me a fee for doing this . . . but I didn't want to pay the fee for doing this.  So I asked if they would waive it.  They said no.  So I said I wanted the 20k in cash.  They told me they would have to order the money in and it would take at least a week.  So I waited a week and went back with my backpack.  They had hired extra security that day at the bank.  :P  Grabbed the bills (which weighed a disappointingly small amount), tossed 'em into my backpack, biked down to the other bank and deposited them.

I have to figure they lost money having to hire the extra security and order the cash into the bank.  But whatever makes 'em happy.  :P

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2023, 08:52:40 AM »
I love the people moving large amounts of cash as cash, so funny.  I had a co-worker buy a house in cash, and he actually brought a briefcase full of cash to the meeting.  The sellers were not thrilled.  My co-worker was "I even bought a used briefcase that they could keep."  So generous. 

I get "the look" when I tell people that I retired with not only a mortgage but also with student loans.  I talk finances with all kinds of people, including some well off people that have retired or downshifted early (usually 50s or 60s).  Pretty much everyone does this in line with paying off the house.  So when we talk money, debts, etc, they ask how I got the house paid off so young, and I tell them I didn't and that I still have student loans.  Those payments just got baked into the retirement scheme- and leverage is AWESOME! Cheapest money anyone is ever going to give me. Then, "the look." 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2023, 09:35:38 AM »

I once wanted to transfer 20k from my bank to another bank.  My bank wanted to charge me a fee for doing this . . . but I didn't want to pay the fee for doing this.  So I asked if they would waive it.  They said no.  So I said I wanted the 20k in cash.  They told me they would have to order the money in and it would take at least a week.  So I waited a week and went back with my backpack.  They had hired extra security that day at the bank.  :P  Grabbed the bills (which weighed a disappointingly small amount), tossed 'em into my backpack, biked down to the other bank and deposited them.

I have to figure they lost money having to hire the extra security and order the cash into the bank.  But whatever makes 'em happy.  :P

This reminded me of when I worked for in retail for a large company in upscale mall.  Twice a week we'd move the cash to the vault room of the bank on the opposite side of the mall. It was always done in the early morning before any of the stores were open, and always involved two people and an unmarked backpack.  During the holidays we could have anywhere between 20k and 50k in cash - all non-sequential circulated bills.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2023, 11:31:36 AM »

A quick Google search tells me a piece of US currency weighs about a gram, so 105 pounds of $100 bills must have been a few million dollars.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: June 05, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »

A quick Google search tells me a piece of US currency weighs about a gram, so 105 pounds of $100 bills must have been a few million dollars.

@GreenEggs now you gotta tell us why your father had that much in cash lying around!

nedwin

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: June 05, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

My first thought when reading this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYcDdjIXsY

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #235 on: June 05, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »
Carrying large amounts of cash like that always struck me as a very risky thing to do in the US. Besides the obvious security and logistics issues present anywhere, there's also civil asset forfeiture to worry about. If the popo stops you for any reason (or no reason), they can confiscate the money and it can be very difficult (or expensive) to get back.

Dr. Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2023, 02:05:53 PM »
Haven't had the look yet. Maybe something to aspire to. Have enjoyed reading everyone's experiences, definite lesson to not judge wealth based on appearances.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2023, 02:08:09 PM »

@GreenEggs now you gotta tell us why your father had that much in cash lying around!

The total was $5.2M and each box weighed 35 lbs.  Dad didn't know about index funds and CDs were yielding less than 1%.  He also didn't realize the estate tax threshold had been raised and didn't want Uncle Sam ending up with a big chunk of his hard-earned money.  Upon realizing he had so much cash hoarded in his safe I explained that we (his heirs) wouldn't be able to purchase anything with deeds or titles or invest in equities with a big pile of cash.  I explained that it was legal for him to possess it now, but it would become basically worthless to us after he passed.  He realized the error in his thinking and that's when we began preparing to get it into the bank. 
I also called Vanguard at about the same time.  I told them that I was my father's PoA and was planning to invest the funds with them but needed to deposit it into a bank first.  The Vanguard reps seemed to give me "the look" as I explained it to them.  (Establishing a trust account as my father's PoA was a very long process.  It took weeks of FedExing notarized documents back and forth.)
The trip to the bank did feel risky.  It was mid-day and there was only one intersection from his neighborhood to the bank.  The box lids were all securely taped shut.   We just calmly drove there, unloaded 3 boxes, and wheeled them through the front door. 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2023, 03:17:00 PM »
Damn, that's a good story.

I explained that it was legal for him to possess it now, but it would become basically worthless to us after he passed.

But I don't understand, why would the cash be worthless to you when you settled your father's estate?   It's pretty obvious that it had to go into the financial system, but as executor (or as a beneficiary), couldn't you have gone through the same process?

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2023, 04:36:33 PM »
I decided to share a few more:

2013 (the first year I maxed out the HSA, 401(k), and IRA in the same year):

Coworker (pointing at the countdown retirement clock ticking down on my desk): You think you're going to retire before you're 45?
Me: I know I'm going to retire before I'm 45
Coworker: What makes you so sure?
Me: Math
Coworker (confused): Huh?
Me: I don't spend a cent from this job. I live entirely on the salary I make from my job on the weekends
Coworker: *glaring at me, unbelieving
Me (retrieving a pay stub from my desk drawer): We have the same salary, so you know what our take home pay is. There's mine after my retirement contributions. ($217 net)
Coworker: the look

2019:

Me: Looks like [executive] sold stock worth $9m. She'll likely be enjoying retirement soon
Coworker: After taxes, that's only like $6m
Me: Which is exponentially more than one needs to retire
Coworker: $6m is not a lot of money anymore
Me: I know for certain I could stop working with under $1m
Coworker: Not a chance
Me: You just need an amount that can generate your projected spending. For instance, if I only spend $30k per year, math would suggest we could retire with $750k and never run out of money
Coworker: Yeah, but $30k is impossible to live on
Me: We had three years in the last five that we lived on less than $20k
Coworker: That's not possible
Me: *showing a series of spreadsheets that break down my spending since 2011
Coworker: the look (throughout the entire explanation)

Both of these coworkers subsequently asked me to help them review their current situations and became occasional MMM readers.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2023, 05:17:56 PM »
Wow good for you for successfully converting people over!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2023, 05:44:12 PM »
Damn, that's a good story.

I explained that it was legal for him to possess it now, but it would become basically worthless to us after he passed.

But I don't understand, why would the cash be worthless to you when you settled your father's estate?   It's pretty obvious that it had to go into the financial system, but as executor (or as a beneficiary), couldn't you have gone through the same process?

Probably the simple explanation worked better. I had to tell my mom that you HAVE to take Medicaid if you qualify for it. (Truncated explanation of how the ACA works because she was giving me a lot of shit because my kids are on Medicaid which she associates with lazy people who "dont want to work" who she is supporting with her "tax dollars". I had to tell her that you can't put the kids on aca if they qualify for Medicaid because its only for people with no other insurance, and besides my spouse has a job but it does not offer benefits. Sheesh.  I did not get into the weeds too much,  just basically told her "Mr. Obama says it's ok". BTW she had no problem with me and my spouse being on aca with subsidies but the kids qualifying for Medicaid made us lazy bums.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 05:51:13 PM by Morning Glory »

poetdereves

• Stubble
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2023, 07:47:02 PM »
I work for a small company with somewhere between 90-100 employees. DW and I recently maxed out our 401ks for the first time (yay!), and I had just updated my direct deposit to reflect the new monthly amount I wanted to go towards it. I got a personal call from the head of HR before the end of the hour asking me to correct my "mistake" because if I didn't my next paycheck would have "a significantly higher amount" taken from it. I assured him it was not a mistake and I was upping my contributions to take the maximum deduction. After a little back and forth for him to make sure I knew that I really meant it, he let it slip that I was the ONLY person in the company to do so. Our CEO, CFO, and a few VP level salaries are publicly disclosed and in the range of $200-450k and NONE of them are maxing theirs out.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2023, 08:27:20 PM »
I've had a few the past few weeks:

1) Mother in law is getting divorced but I think it will be for the best. She is moving to our state and I was explaining how car registration worked vs. the state she was moving from. When she said she didn't have the title, I told her that she would need to drive back to the old state and get it. She gave me a weird look and explained that when you have a car loan the lender keeps the title. To which it was inferred that we have never had a car loan.. look!

2) I work for a large corporation and emailed someone from benefits about setting up a mega back door roth. They actually gave me a very detailed reply about how it has been asked before but it won't pass ACP testing because only highly compensated employees would enroll (fair). Then he threw in that the extra that I would be able to add after tax wouldn't even be that much because maxing out + catch up + 8% match + 6% over SS max would be close to $66k. Which quick math shows the only people who have asked for this have made probably double what I make and 20 years older.

3) Our car has had a small evap leak code check engine light off and on for a year. Mazda 5, 2012, 170k miles, OK shape. I personally don't care but my wife doesn't want to drive around in a car with an expired inspection sticker since we would fail due to the light. We need to get it smoke tested. First place didn't smoke test it and told us to buy a new gas cap from the manufacturer, no charge. Got the new gas cap, light still on. Took it to my neighbor backyard mechanic, he took it to a shop, smoke tested it, didn't find anything wrong but suspected it was a purge solenoid, wouldn't charge us for the test because he didn't fix anything. Recommended we take it to a place with a "fancy diagnostic scanner". So we brought it to Midas who quoted us $109 but said "thats not something I would fix". Spent an hour scanning, sure enough purge solenoid, asked how much, no charge again! So we are going back to our neighbor mechanic to get the solenoid removed. Probably $100 all in but should have been charged $300+ in diagnostics. This is VT so everyone is pretty nice but I bet our shitty car and thinking we are struggling had something to do with it too.

But my favorite from way back

We had baby #1 in a normal hospital and my wife was having trouble breastfeeding. We were talking with the lactation nurse about how it was always our plan to breast feed and we didn't have bottles at home, etc. We both probably looked like a mess and got really excited when she said we could take all the diapers and supplies from the room with us because we pretty much paid for them anyways. The Hospital also gave both of us dinner the last night which we were excited when we could ask for something different than what was standard. Well, I was walking in the hall to get something from the car and she cornered me and gave me pamphlets for WIC and other support organizations. I had to nicely explain to her we were more than fine and really just wanted to make it work for the baby's health, not $$$.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 08:32:08 PM by MMMarbleheader »

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »
I work for a small company with somewhere between 90-100 employees. DW and I recently maxed out our 401ks for the first time (yay!), and I had just updated my direct deposit to reflect the new monthly amount I wanted to go towards it. I got a personal call from the head of HR before the end of the hour asking me to correct my "mistake" because if I didn't my next paycheck would have "a significantly higher amount" taken from it. I assured him it was not a mistake and I was upping my contributions to take the maximum deduction. After a little back and forth for him to make sure I knew that I really meant it, he let it slip that I was the ONLY person in the company to do so. Our CEO, CFO, and a few VP level salaries are publicly disclosed and in the range of $200-450k and NONE of them are maxing theirs out.

Your plan may be "top heavy" or failing other non-discrimination tests set out by the IRS. If so, then your Highly Compensated Employees would just have to take a chunk of their contributions back out at year end.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2023, 06:04:31 AM »
I contributed to this thread in 2017, when my net worth was around 450K. Now 6 years later, it has tripled.

Then I thought, I wonder how our net worth has changed in that time? ... We are up 430% since this thread began.

I don't know whether to be happy because of the crazy gain, gloat because I beat Clark, or give myself "the look" because it sure doesn't feel like we have money.

Congrats on your success. I think you should do all three above. Giving "the look" to yourself was a very funny suggestion that I enjoyed reading.

You bring up a good point about "feeling like we have money" I'm guessing the things that makes people "feel rich" are different for everyone. I'm more of a lifestyle person. I think I am more into "the experience" than hitting the number to make it happen. 

We are leaving for Kauai tomorrow and staying at our long-term rental for one month while we are in between tenants. This experience makes me feel rich, even though the actual cost is relatively low. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #246 on: June 06, 2023, 08:23:28 AM »

Congrats on your success. I think you should do all three above. Giving "the look" to yourself was a very funny suggestion that I enjoyed reading.

You bring up a good point about "feeling like we have money" I'm guessing the things that makes people "feel rich" are different for everyone. I'm more of a lifestyle person. I think I am more into "the experience" than hitting the number to make it happen. 

We are leaving for Kauai tomorrow and staying at our long-term rental for one month while we are in between tenants. This experience makes me feel rich, even though the actual cost is relatively low.

Cool, have fun!

Enjoy Kauai the feeling of being rich.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2023, 12:51:35 PM »
On a group bike ride yesterday, I mentioned looking at joining a local country club for the purpose of learning to sail.  Found out it was like 20k to join and noped right out.  One other guy mentioned that he needs to join a military club soon so that he wont have to pay the 60k fees when he is at higher rank, ok-fine, then he mentions its 600$/month.  "damn I dont think I spend that much on anything monthly" -> the look.  No one asked about my housing situation, maybe they guessed I paid cash recently not sure, but I was on a new single speed bike so they know I am not 100% poor & broke.  More fun part is that on the single speed with Chuck Taylors I was out riding most all of them who were on road bikes and clipless. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2023, 02:24:27 PM »
I'm glad this old thread came back to life. I reread the whole thing from start to finish!
Me too! I'm curious if there are less bank stories now that so much is digital. I'm pretty sure I haven't deposited a check at the bank in person in over 8 years thanks to mobile deposit. And we never have cash anymore either.

Lately I've experienced multiple reactions to our cars (though in the opposite way of many prior posts in this thread). We always dress casual, don't put a lot of effort (and virtually no money) into yard care, most of our furniture is well over a decade old, and we live in a relatively humble house. But then you open the garage and the cars there cost about half of what we paid for the house. Usually the comments are positive, but it's pretty funny watching the double-take.

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2023, 02:43:26 PM »
  One other guy mentioned that he needs to join a military club soon so that he wont have to pay the 60k fees when he is at higher rank, ok-fine, then he mentions its 600$/month. 

My first thought was, who TF spends 60k on a military club?

Then I looked up the Army Navy club . . .  *shudders*.

The ambition must drip off the walls.