Author Topic: Did you pick up any new hobb(ies) during the quarantine ??  (Read 6228 times)

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
Now this is not the usual stuff you've been doing but new ones.
I love playing golf and the golf courses are open but I haven't gone once yet.
Stuff I've picked up that I have never done before.

1) Stock market. I usually spend 2-4 hours each day looking at the market. Have never bought stocks before(just mutual funds) and I find it a bit exciting. Still very much a noobie but its fun learning. Overall I'm ahead so that's a great thing.

2) Wood crafting. This is a hobby I surely will keep when I do retire. I bought myself a miter saw and you can make some quality wood stuff with that. I've been making garden beds and such for the wife. The funny thing is now when I look for deals, I'm trying to buy more tools to make my crafting easier.

3) Yard work. I used to hate this stuff. I haven't cut my own lawn in about 4 yrs. Its cumbersome. The grass cutting is tolerable but the trimming and edging I hate. Since I'm not doing anything I decided to cancel my lawn service(he didn't like it). My first time re-doing it, I find the trimming/edging still cumbersome. Went out and bought a cordless trimmer/blower and Holy Crap, its life changing. Why did I wait so long to buy cordless tools ?? I really enjoy keeping my yard pristine now.

My wife approves #2 and # 3 very much. She's OK with #1 probably cause I'm actually making a little money.
Wife's till working so I'm also doing most of the cooking and cleaning at home.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Did you pick up any new hobb(ies) during the quarantine ??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 12:03:08 AM »
I switched from learning Italian (for my now-dead June vacation to Italy) to learning Latin, which no pandemic can fuck up for me. Also, I've been reading way more than normal.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 01:30:06 AM »
 I have always been a big reader of novels and non-fiction but I have also started reading a poem a day (from this lovely website: https://anthonywilsonpoetry.com/2011/06/07/lifesaving-poems-2/)

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:40:08 AM »
I returned to hockey (in this instance, roller) after hanging up the skates after college.

DW is into gardening now and has completely transformed the backyard.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:39:16 AM »
I got my sewing machine out after about 4 years.  So far I've only made masks (the reason I got it out), but I just might actually start a sewing/quilting hobby!

I also did the two puzzles that have been sitting in my cupboard for years, and liked them so much I got some more.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:39:09 AM »
I dug out my big bin of cross-stitch stuff (I found a floss receipt dated 2006, so it's been awhile) and started working on one of my many kits.

New hobby is knitting.  I already crochet, bought needles ages ago but never got started, so with help from Youtube I am hopeful I can become bistitual :).

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 06:33:20 AM »
Stained glass.  Always been interested, never tried.  But even I can sit and run the clicker for only so many weekends in a row. 

This has not been good for our finances, btw.  I am hoping it will ultimately pay back somewhat (DH is making some replacement doors for our house, so I am planning to make the transoms/sidelights -- it was pricing out the stained glass option that led me to pull the trigger in the first place).  However, I definitely get the feeling that this is going to be one of those "spend hundreds of dollars to create a garden to save $20 on veggies" kinds of situations.   

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 07:14:49 AM »
After putting it off for way too many summers, we finally got our garden set up.  It's only 2 raised beds (4 by 10 feet) and all-in has probably cost around $400 to set up (wood, soil, seedlings and seeds).  It has been very therapeutic, very relaxing.  Previously the only thing I had was a rhubarb, who was getting uncomfortable because I would constantly check on it, look at its growth, etc... now I've got other stuff to tweak, monitor, water, etc...

I also got my old turquoise 1994 Trek 950 dusted off and tuned up and have been riding around again. 

Finally, I committed to doing 100 push ups per day for 30 days.  Was challenging at first but by the end of the month I was doing 30 at a time, which was a big improvement for me.  Then I pulled a muscle shoveling soil (see garden above), which set me back a little but I'm getting back into it.

All wholesome activities that I hope to continue once The Madness is over.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 07:50:13 AM »
I returned to hockey (in this instance, roller) after hanging up the skates after college.

DW is into gardening now and has completely transformed the backyard.

No freakin way.
I was heavily into roller hockey player back when I was in college also.
I actually wanted to get back into it right before the pandemic but I went to check out the pick-up scene and they are way too advance for me right now. I haven't touch it in about 15-20 yrs. Man I wish I can still play like I used to.

My wife is also huge in gardening. I made  a lot of stuff for her. She happy now.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 08:48:41 AM »

We fostered kittens! This was on my list of things to do in FIRE, but with being at the house all the time anyway we followed through. Right now we have 3 flooffers that bounce and pounce on everything and nothing, and fall asleep standing up. They are brave and hilarious and so fragile. They still belong to the local animal shelter, but we are keeping them healthier (than if they were housed with so many other larger cats) and teaching them to be comfortable with children and in a home. (They are from a feral mother.)

Right now we're trying to find them forever homes, and enjoying them while they're in ours.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »
I picked up virtual trivia and board games, organized by friends on a weekly basis. This replaces our previous group sport, which we cannot do for now.
I also started fishing for the first time, cost me about $75 to get some starting gear. Haven't caught anything yet, but I'm hopeful. Easy to socially distance and something I'll enjoy doing even when we get back to normal.
I'm also starting a vegetable garden for the first time, but I've been growing decorative houseplants for a while so it's not an entirely new hobby.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
Ennui.

Ok, I'll actually contribute beyond a joke. I'm relearning chess via tutorials on Chess.com and losing to random internet strangers.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:43:40 AM by Samuel »

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 10:13:28 AM »
I have been learning video editing. Final Cut Pro X. I made my first film, about a minute long, inspired by a poem, springtime, and starting anew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ONQsRpyIE

Photograph 51

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »
My new hobby is trying to get reading material from any source possible now that I am having to live without the library.  I am driving around to little free libraries and borrowing books, magazines, and CD books from everyone I know.  I can't wait for the library to reopen.  How is the library not essential?

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
My new hobby is trying to get reading material from any source possible now that I am having to live without the library.  I am driving around to little free libraries and borrowing books, magazines, and CD books from everyone I know.  I can't wait for the library to reopen.  How is the library not essential?

Does your library not have an online option?  That's how I got all my books even before the quarantine.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 03:06:08 AM »
I started making kombucha. So fun and addictive making different flavours.  I drink it out of wine glasses - fancy like. 

Photograph 51

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 05:20:29 AM »

Does your library not have an online option?  That's how I got all my books even before the quarantine.

Online is in no way the same as having real, physical objects.  I don't have a computer at home nor do I have Internet access at my home.  I would have to pay for a device and pay for Internet access and make sure that I have Internet access wherever I go so I can read wherever I am.  I have been trying to use Kindles, but have discovered that they are trash.  It is totally not okay to have libraries only online.  The library is where many people get computer access, a way to get out of the cold or heat, access to restrooms, a place to talk to someone, etc.  Many people don't have access to online resources.  A virtual library is about as satisfying as a virtual romantic relationship or virtual parenting.  Where I live, churches are allowed to have a couple hundred people gather in one room sitting near each other for a couple of hours, but the library can't even provide curbside service for pre-ordered items.  Liquor stores are allowed to be open.  Cigarette Outlet is allowed to be open.  Dry cleaners are allowed to be open.  Fast food places are allowed to be open.  Why not the library?  Is learning really that dangerous?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 07:13:07 AM »

I initially thought curb side pickup for libraries, then realized that it is the return process that is the issue.  There would have to be an effective way to sterilize the books, DVD’s etc that protects workers and the subsequent borrowers.  With other businesses, materials flow in one direction only - from the business that has a small controlled number of employees, to the customer.  With book return there is an astronomically higher number of contacts possible. 

I think there is an easy enough solution, like maybe UV disinfection return slots/robots, but that will need to be developed.

Online is in no way the same as having real, physical objects.  I don't have a computer at home nor do I have Internet access at my home.  I would have to pay for a device and pay for Internet access and make sure that I have Internet access wherever I go so I can read wherever I am.  I have been trying to use Kindles, but have discovered that they are trash.  It is totally not okay to have libraries only online.  The library is where many people get computer access, a way to get out of the cold or heat, access to restrooms, a place to talk to someone, etc.  Many people don't have access to online resources.  A virtual library is about as satisfying as a virtual romantic relationship or virtual parenting.  Where I live, churches are allowed to have a couple hundred people gather in one room sitting near each other for a couple of hours, but the library can't even provide curbside service for pre-ordered items.  Liquor stores are allowed to be open.  Cigarette Outlet is allowed to be open.  Dry cleaners are allowed to be open.  Fast food places are allowed to be open.  Why not the library?  Is learning really that dangerous?

Photograph 51

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:44 AM »
The state where I live just allowed thrift stores to open.  How different is that from the library?  People are donating objects that they might have just coughed all over.  The library can quarantine materials if thrift stores can.  I think the real issue is that the people making up these rules only care about money.  Since the library is used disproportionately by poor people, the people in charge think that they can ignore the library.  I can't wrap my head around how gun shops have been allowed to be open this whole time and the library gets nothing.  Some of the guns are used, so people could get COVID and then also get shot from a gun they bought, but that is somehow okay.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 08:01:49 AM »
I'm trying to become a good beekeeper instead of just a guy that keeps bees alive in the backyard. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 05:29:43 AM »

We fostered kittens! This was on my list of things to do in FIRE, but with being at the house all the time anyway we followed through. Right now we have 3 flooffers that bounce and pounce on everything and nothing, and fall asleep standing up. They are brave and hilarious and so fragile. They still belong to the local animal shelter, but we are keeping them healthier (than if they were housed with so many other larger cats) and teaching them to be comfortable with children and in a home. (They are from a feral mother.)

Right now we're trying to find them forever homes, and enjoying them while they're in ours.

This is super-cute. So entertaining for you guys, and so beneficial for the babies.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 07:37:18 AM »

I initially thought curb side pickup for libraries, then realized that it is the return process that is the issue.  There would have to be an effective way to sterilize the books, DVD’s etc that protects workers and the subsequent borrowers.  With other businesses, materials flow in one direction only - from the business that has a small controlled number of employees, to the customer.  With book return there is an astronomically higher number of contacts possible. 

I think there is an easy enough solution, like maybe UV disinfection return slots/robots, but that will need to be developed.

From my understanding, coronavirus doesn't survive well on surfaces and the big risk is person-to-person transmission by breathing, sneezing, etc. So the concern about books could be addressed by just holding them for a few days before putting them back in circulation. That's what the library at my employer is doing. I suspect the bigger problem is the use of libraries as community spaces. In my city, libraries are third spaces especially for people who can't afford (or aren't welcome) at commercial establishments like coffee shops. It would be hard on the librarians to be cooped up all day in interior spaces, perhaps not all that well ventilated, with a cross-section of the public. I guess they could store all the furniture and computers to discourage hanging around but the librarians would,  I predict, end up as police officers. Plus, most libraries I know have really crammed the shelves in to house the books, so social distancing would be tough!

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
Not new, but I have gone back to building scale models.  When I was younger I was really good at it, turns out I still am.

A new hobby that I picked up is astrophysics.  I'm self-teaching myself via textbooks now.  Had to buy a new HP Prime calculator for the job... It's a fun toy. 

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
I started a blog and read a ton.

The reading wasn't a new hobby though :)

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
I switched from learning Italian (for my now-dead June vacation to Italy) to learning Latin, which no pandemic can fuck up for me. Also, I've been reading way more than normal.

Have fun learning Latin! I studied it for many years and even though I've forgotten much of the grammar and vocabulary, found it to be an extremely rewarding way to learn about culture and history. I suggest looking up Certamen study materials, such as those available on this website: http://ojcl.org/certamen-study-materials/

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
Homeschooling while simultaneously working overtime has become my new, near daily 'hobby'.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »
Zoom. So much Zoom.

Seriously, though, I started making homemade tortillas again. It had been at least a couple of years. And I’ve started learning basic Swedish in preparation for a long-awaited trip that we were hoping to take next year (probably 2022 at this rate).

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
My daily lunchtime walk has become a longer evening walk.

I've started the CS50x free online class.

The wife and I have been saying for years we need to explore the state we live in more; since things have slowed down we have been going out and hiking new places away from people. As it warms up we will probably add in kayaking.

I made some concrete stairs treads for the house and now I have one bathroom completely gutted.

I'm thinking about playing with some low level home automation (I have a few things laying around, but software is giving me problems).

I've thought about picking up an inexpensive drone (though I still don't know why they aren't called RC aircraft still) to learn that.

I've got a couple hobbies that have been rekindled a little bit. I have brewed beer for the first time in a while; other projects at home had taken priority/time and one of the projects took the brewing area out of operation. I have some model rocket kits from when I was a kid that I might build...

I guess it just depends on how long things go on like this.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »

From my understanding, coronavirus doesn't survive well on surfaces and the big risk is person-to-person transmission by breathing, sneezing, etc. So the concern about books could be addressed by just holding them for a few days before putting them back in circulation. That's what the library at my employer is doing. I suspect the bigger problem is the use of libraries as community spaces. In my city, libraries are third spaces especially for people who can't afford (or aren't welcome) at commercial establishments like coffee shops. It would be hard on the librarians to be cooped up all day in interior spaces, perhaps not all that well ventilated, with a cross-section of the public. I guess they could store all the furniture and computers to discourage hanging around but the librarians would,  I predict, end up as police officers. Plus, most libraries I know have really crammed the shelves in to house the books, so social distancing would be tough!

The libraries are open here or most of them at least. I saw that some had been closed. I guess that is a result of staff shortage due to people having to stay home if they have any sign of a flu or the kids have. They also seem to have taken away the computers at least in the library that I visit to limit the transmission risk.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 01:58:06 PM »
If you an inexpensive drone, make sure that you can get parts for it.

LibrarianFuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »
Napping is a genuinely new hobby for me. Never been able to lay back and take a snooze at 2pm before.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
I was very excited to see that our library starts curbside pickup next week! My main quarantine hobby has been reading...I just looked at my reading log and I think I have gotten through 35 books since mid-March (keep in mind that includes cookbooks and graphic novels, tho). I mostly use the hold system rather than browsing the shelves, so all this means is that I don't have to walk into the library to get stuff.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »
I added red wrigglers to my compost bin to start raising worms. I also planted my whole garden from seeds for the first time using a $20 greenhouse on the front porch and it is doing well! Started a family trip once a week to fish for surf perch.

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2020, 06:06:31 AM »
I was very excited to see that our library starts curbside pickup next week!

Same here. I was definitely taking the library for granted pre-coronavirus.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 11:38:44 AM »
For the last 3 months, I've been building an antenna system to receive AM Radio station.
With the added bonus of experimenting with an amplifier, (if your knowledgeable about the AM band don't explain about atmospheric noise and modern receiver gain, I already know, it is just a test of the amp.)
 I built three boxes to make it work.
Looks like fun, huh! :-)

legalstache

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
I'll second (third?) gardening and yard work. We never really landscaped or planted anything new when we moved into our house, and a number of the plants that were here were starting to look a little decrepit, so I've been planting a lot of new stuff.

Also, mountain biking. I'm within comfortable biking distance of a pretty extensive trail biking system that I never utilized much before. With group hobbies on hold, this is an easy one to do solo.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 10:39:31 AM »
However, I definitely get the feeling that this is going to be one of those "spend hundreds of dollars to create a garden to save $20 on veggies" kinds of situations.   

Yeah, my new hobby is spending hundreds of dollars on the garden to save $20 on food. My previous history with growing plants has always led to death or adoption. But my bf already had a raised bed setup, there's a local group that provides a lot of free seeds and starts, and I can't do anything else.

I figure this is a good way to get outside and provide some kind of mental stimulation to avoid sitting on the couch watching TV and eating ice cream all day.

Oh, we also make up a lot of songs that involve cat or quarantine puns, and make the cats talk. That is certainly new.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
We bought a pasta machine and started making our own egg pasta. It's surprisingly easy and the kids enjoy it.  My husband has taken up online chess with a friend.  We've been playing a ton more board and card games but that's not really a new hobby.  We've been doing it all along but sporadically.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2020, 11:17:41 PM »
Not entirely new... got deeper into the gardening, got a good ways into a quilted pillow.
What I did learn was the difference between pot roast and oven roast and what you need to do an oven roast right. And I learned to make Starbucks's chocolate cinnamon loaf, which they discontinued, the bastards.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 07:33:53 AM »
I splurged and spent about $100 on new hobbies.  Bought a Ukulele and a song book (tip: there are LOADs of free songs online too, but I wanted a book for offline play).  I also bought one of those 5D Diamond painting kits - I've been working on that for a couple nights and I'm hooked.  Similar to counted cross stitch, but it's applying little beads to a glue-y canvas.  I don't have anywhere to display these so  don't want to do too many, but they're fun.   

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »
Nothing new, but spending more time on a hobby I already have.  I build my own FPV racing/freestyle drones.  Then break them pushing the limits of maneuvers, then fix/upgrade/tune, then repeat.  Tons of fun!

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
Making bread and pizza. Started because our kids eat a lot of sandwiches. We were frequently running out of bread, and didn't want to go to the store or spend a lot on instacart...so bread making began. Now I'm making sourdoughs and trying to really get a pizza recipe down. I didn't expect to like it because I don't cook very often, but it's good.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2020, 08:49:47 AM »
I've started a butterfly garden. Good physical exercise and spending time outdoors keeps me from stressing out over COVID.

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:04 AM »
I started learning how to chop wood (now doing it daily), and also sew masks (my new daily hobby since March)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »

I am incredibly jealous.  This is on my FIRE list too!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »
Not a new hobby but went deeper into it.  I've always loved reading, talking about reading, etc.  So during quarantine I started an online book club and started a youtube channel reviewing books.  It's so much fun. 

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »
No new hobbies.  More the opposite, walking away from a couple hobbies that got cut back on and I realize I do not miss:

- SCUBA (will sell my equipment given the chance)
- Automobile racing (although this kind of turned into just taking the car apart for fun)
- Sport Shooting (will probably sell all my "fun" / non-home defense guns.  Not sure I'll even spend the money to renew my CHL as I really only got it to make it much easier legally to carry pistols to the range)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
I took up yoga and inversions in place of Reformer Pilates, but boy did my core strength suffer after returning back to in-studio classes at 50% capacity last week. I also learned one dance routine and downloaded TikTok if that counts. Nothing crazy I know.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »

Have fun learning Latin! I studied it for many years and even though I've forgotten much of the grammar and vocabulary, found it to be an extremely rewarding way to learn about culture and history. I suggest looking up Certamen study materials, such as those available on this website: http://ojcl.org/certamen-study-materials/

Semper ubi sub ubi !!!!

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »
Having all this free time, I've been immersed in the van life. Not necessarily living full time but long trips.
I've decided to build out my own van if I don't get called back to work anytime soon.

Another thing I'm immerse in is solar. I want to build a small solar system. Use this to make the transition and have it on the van. Its gonna get really expensive here.
About to pull the trigger on this.
Add solar panels(~$200), inverter(~$250) and other various components, it'll be over $2000.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!