Author Topic: Deleted social media  (Read 11452 times)

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Deleted social media
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
I deleted my social media! This is a fantastic accomplishment that will surely bring me great happiness.

Now to get on the Internet and tell everyone about it!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
I recently deleted Facebook from my phone and iPad (I didn’t delete my profile) and I am pleasantly surprised at how much happier I am on a daily basis.  I did it for the month of February as an experiment, but I am contemplating just not loading the apps up again. 

It really has a negative effect on mental health.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:00 AM »
I only have Facebook and linked in (for professional reasons). I recently started deleting old posts and status updates - basically everything pre 2017, and selected after that. I'm doing a massive clean up basically. Yes, I know I can hide things, but I've been on FB long enough to remember being burned by their privacy changes. It's more because I see what technology can do and I would prefer not to go there.

I did just take the app off my phone, leaving messenger on.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
I was not on Facebook for years, it didn't add value for me at the time but did add lots of potential for conflict and argument with my SO. We're separated now and I've been flying solo for a bit, so I've logged back in and have been enjoying it. I was very isolated in that relationship and down to my last two friends which is where I drew my line and I think a big part of why she left (and tried to clean me out too!), because I wouldn't ditch or put at risk my last friendships to please her.

In any event I've reconnected with several old friends who I would otherwise have not have, we've met in person and done things together. I also use it for groups and events, to find things to do to go out and be social or stay connected and current with groups (that regularly meet in the real world) and upcoming events. I dislike that it has become videos about nothing, videos where pictures are more effective, or pictures where text is more effective, but I unlink people who post those things frequently to minimize the nonsense I see without looking for it. So for me getting back to social media has been great, it keeps my busy with real life activities and helps make real life friends, as well as occasional entertainment if I'm lonely or bored and too tired to go out and do something.

I think deleting social media would be isolating for me. Maybe not a big deal for those married or with kids and your own settled social circle... But that was not my situation when I logged back on.

As for twitter and instagram... I don't think I'm old, but maybe I'm too old to "get it". I don't see how one sentence or pictures only are an effective way to communicate. I have no desire to partake in those.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Fortunately I've never been into social media. I still find myself using the internet too much on my desktop. I recently "dumbed down" my phone and keep only a handful of apps, no notifications, grayscale color scheme, no icons on the home screen. It's basically unattractive at this point so I don't mindlessly pick it up and do something unintentional.

More thoughts on this topic:
http://www.raptitude.com/2018/02/its-time-to-put-the-internet-back-into-a-box-in-the-basement/

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:54 AM »
You all realize that this forum is social media, right?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »
You all realize that this forum is social media, right?

Just deleted the forum.