Author Topic: Daylight savings clock change... good or bad?  (Read 8835 times)

pudding

• Bristles
Daylight savings clock change... good or bad?
« on: March 12, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
Curious what people thing of it?  Clocks moved forward in Canada last night.

Myself I wonder what the point in it is.  Why not just leave it be and instead of it going dark at 4.30 in December it can be an hour later, which would be real nice.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
Re: Daylight savings clock change... good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
My opinion? Kill it!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
Kill it with fire.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
I don't much care what they do, as long as they leave it the same. i.e. no dinking around twice a year having to change a bunch of clocks. And, btw, I've lived in both Arizona and the island of Guam, which don't change their clocks...and guess what...life goes on just the same!

Fall Back is kind of cosy--feels like we're getting more rest. But Spring Forward gives me jet lag. I hate Spring Forward. It just feels weird, like a planetary shift or something.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
I'd go one step further and abolish time zones altogether. UTC for everyone regardless of where they live.

The Indians have been trolling us with their 30 minute offset for too long. Let's show them who's boss.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 04:44:24 PM »
Kill it, kill it with fire.  Nuke it from orbit just to be sure ;P

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
Why not just leave it be and instead of it going dark at 4.30 in December it can be an hour later, which would be real nice.

The sun setting at 4:30 in December is standard time. If you want it to be light an hour later in the winter, you are asking for year-round daylight savings time.

I don't mind it that much. DST means I have a couple of grumpy days in the spring, but we get an extra hour of light in the evenings for half the year.

Year-round DST would be OK in the evenings but rough on winter mornings since it would make for really late sunrises.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »

Myself I wonder what the point in it is.  Why not just leave it be and instead of it going dark at 4.30 in December it can be an hour later, which would be real nice.

You have it backwards. Dark at 4.30 in December is the natural time. The fact you feel that it is wrong and daylight savings is better proves we should always having daylight savings in Canada. Russia, a few years ago, entered daylight savings but decided to never leave it. For us northern countries, I think we should follow suit and abandon non-daylight savings.

I'd go one step further and abolish time zones altogether. UTC for everyone regardless of where they live.

The Indians have been trolling us with their 30 minute offset for too long. Let's show them who's boss.

Despite being the second largest country, China has only one timezone.

Why not just leave it be and instead of it going dark at 4.30 in December it can be an hour later, which would be real nice.
Year-round DST would be OK in the evenings but rough on winter mornings since it would make for really late sunrises.

Where I live in Canada (and it is fairly south at that), in December daylight hasn't started by the time I leave my house and it finishes as I'm getting into the car when leaving. :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:52:12 PM by kayvent »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

That's not good enough. I want one timezone for the entire world.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »

And let's go metric!  There shall be 10 "chrons" in a day.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »

My point was that even the dictatorship of China that attempts to enforce one timezone actually fails at it. The people who live further west start work later in the day and go to bed fairly late. One timezone is horrendous because unless you know both the latitude and longitude of people, you can't reasonably schedule meetings (timezones approximate the natural body rhythm people take w.r.t. the daylight cycle). For example, where I live, by the time I've had lunch, two meetings, and a good session of programming, the sun is rising in California. That's useful to know if I need to schedule a meeting or talk to someone there and timezones give me that in one, simple, number. In such a large world due to globalization, knowing quickly when most people are awake in a certain geographic region is valuable information in day-to-day life.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »

The Nepali's have been trolling India with their 45 minute offset!!

From Wikipedia
Nepal Standard Time (NPT) is the time zone for Nepal. With a time offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of +5:45 all over Nepal, it is one of only three time zones with a 45-minute offset from UTC.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »
Where I live in Canada (and it is fairly south at that), in December daylight hasn't started by the time I leave my house and it finishes as I'm getting into the car when leaving. :(

Yeah - it makes more sense for some areas than others. Where I grew up, instituting year-round daylight savings time would have made the difference between it being light when I left for school in the morning, and being dark when I left for school in the morning. When I lived in London, I almost saw no daylight in winter at all because I was indoors during those hours, and it seemed silly to have an extra hour of daylight in the summer because it was light so late anyway.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
Love it.  Good trade-off between sunrise time in winter and sunset time in summer.

Although Halloween just isn't the same now that the kids start walking around when it's still somewhat light....

And yes, perception probably depends on where one lives.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 05:10:24 PM »

The Nepali's have been trolling India with their 45 minute offset!!

From Wikipedia
Nepal Standard Time (NPT) is the time zone for Nepal. With a time offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) of +5:45 all over Nepal, it is one of only three time zones with a 45-minute offset from UTC.

Newfoundland and Labrador have a 30-minute offset. They're the .......unique province ..... we accept them for the special snowflake they are.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »
I don't care if we stuck with "standard" time or DST, but I don't need the change just pick one and let's roll with it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:23:16 PM by Retire-Canada »

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
I don't get why the one called standard time is only in effect 4ish months each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
This is the one time that I think Trump could sign an executive order that I would agree with -- Kill it!  Now if only someone would whisper in his ear that DST was invented by Barack Obama, it would be repealed by Monday 9am. 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
I love it. Year-round DST FTW. Standard time blows.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »
Put me in the DST year round camp.  Now that we're here, let's stay.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 06:32:59 PM »

Yes yes yes - a thousand times yes!!!!!

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
I could take or leave time zones, but I absolutely support abolishing DST.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:15 PM »
Lovritloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit!

I'm the frog of Daylight Savings Time.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 07:16:03 PM »
I don't get why the one called standard time is only in effect 4ish months each year.

Standard time came first with DST being the aberration. If you were to calculate time zones on the equinoxes, you'd get standard time.

Also note that much of the world does not have Daylight Savings. I found a map that shows it: https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/places-daylight-savings-time-featured2.png?w=3200 . Note, it shows Russia as a country without DST but it is standard time it lacks. Also the image linked above is also not centered; the equator is the line above the Queensland text.

For places nears the equator who don't have wild swings in the lengths of daylight, DSL offers no benefit. For where I live, where we less than 6 hours at the Winter Solstice but 18 during the Summer Solstice, DSL matters (we have sub-3 hours of true night in June).

What if 'we' pulled a Russia and abolished Standard Time? Would you be fine with that ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:20:13 PM by kayvent »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 08:37:44 PM »
I think we should just pick a time - either standard or DST - and stay that way year-round. I lived in Hawaii and then Japan. A total of 6 years in those two places. Your body adjusts naturally, as the sunrise/set hours change gradually throughout the year.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »
I didn't realize it was today (the joys of retirement). With the computer and iPad I don't even have to change things. Oh, just my watch, and the next time I drive the car, the dashboard  clock. Was it an hour forward or reverse (I know: spring ahead, fall back)?

I read once when it was first introduced in World War I, farmers objected "Cows can't read clocks".

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
Day Light Savings Time year round please!!!  I hate when the sun sets at 5 and I hate even more that there's about a month and a half where I never see my house in the light of day Monday-Friday...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »
I didn't realize it was today (the joys of retirement). With the computer and iPad I don't even have to change things. Oh, just my watch, and the next time I drive the car, the dashboard  clock. Was it an hour forward or reverse (I know: spring ahead, fall back)?

I read once when it was first introduced in World War I, farmers objected "Cows can't read clocks".
Pets and little  kids can't  either. Fun times twice a year.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »
I'd favor standard time year-round for families with young children.

I heard a utility company sponsored a study about whether it saved energy in Indiana a few years ago (it didn't). (disclosure: I work for that utility company)

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
I'm a fan of year-round DST.

It seems weird to me that standard time is the way it is. I'd guess there'd be a lot less seasonal depression if there was sun later in the day during winter. I don't think people notice the dark in the morning as much as they do at the end of the day.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »

What if 'we' pulled a Russia and abolished Standard Time? Would you be fine with that ;)
I don't really care what time we call it, even decimal time is fine with me, but pointlessly changing the time should be stopped immediately.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
I'd be in favor of no time change, I don't care which turns into the new normal, but changing clocks twice a year is just dumb, and makes programming anything for timing tricky.  I'm just glad I only have two non-internet-controlled clocks to change manually these days (my stove and my car).

Dump time zones in general for extra credit.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »

Exactly. What we have in place for most of the year should be "Standard" and those four months around the winter should have been dubbed "Daylight Wasting Time."  As I'm in the southern U.S. I'd be fine if we  ditched the whole time-changing thing altogether since we benefit less from it at this latitude.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
Get rid of it!  My preference would be to stick with DST because I would prefer having the light after work rather than before. I just wish we would stick with one and leave it there.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »

Exactly. What we have in place for most of the year should be "Standard" and those four months around the winter should have been dubbed "Daylight Wasting Time."  As I'm in the southern U.S. I'd be fine if we  ditched the whole time-changing thing altogether since we benefit less from it at this latitude.

Careful, I was being a bit sarcastic but got the technical response from a poster earlier.

Will be interesting if, as solar becomes a bigger share of energy production, what is the "optimal" time to balance demand and capacity. Extra sunlight hours as people go to work or get home. If it doesn't make any difference, then let's just pick one and stick with it since it's not like there is a 50/50 split time wise as is.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »
Before they changed when daylight savings time occurred, October used to be the longest month - it was 31 days and 1 hour.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:56 AM »

Correction: clocks in most of Canada moved, Saskatchewan doesn't have Daylight Savings Time, the clocks stay constant.

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Personally, I hate daylight savings. In recent years I have read more and more articles about how it has negative health impacts on populations due to sleep disruption, economic/productivity decreases and is just generally not worth it.

Maybe it made sense when candles were expensive or most people were walking or riding a horse to work or working in the fields but it doesn't seem to make sense any more.

Anything that deprives me of sleep can die in a fire...

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
I hate changing times; I can only imagine how awful it is for parents. It should stay the same year-round. Selfishly, I'd stick with no daylight saving because I like it to be lighter earlier, but I'd live if it stayed on daylight saving forever.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »
My dog doesn't like the change. I can see that he thinks I am totally messing up his eating/sleeping/pooping/walking routine.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
I hate the changing.  I'd take either one, but if I could pick, I'd pick standard time year round.

I heard a podcast a while ago about two towns in Texas.  One town was on the eastern edge of the time zone, and the other on the western edge.  So in the western town, the sun would set a bit later.  They found that the economic output of the eastern town was better than the other (they took all other variables into account. These were two otherwise equal towns). 

What they found is that in the western town at say 7 pm, it was still light out, so people ended up staying up later, meaning they were groggier in the morning, and it affected their production.

Eastern town people went to bed earlier since it got dark earlier, and they woke up brighter and fresher. 

So if this story is any indication, we should all just switch to standard time and stay that way.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
It's Monday  morning, I have kids.  Kid #2 (who is 4) was up late on Sat without a nap and got up early on Sunday.

It BLOWS.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
They need to keep it on Daylight time, not Standard time. 5pm sunsets in the dead of winter suck, and it's depressing.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
My 7 year old nearly burst into tears because he thought I was going to make him go to bed early for the next 6 months.  Of course his natural cycle took over and he slept in an hour this morning to compensate.  It just seems like an administrative burden on us all for reasons that are no longer relevant.

ranjithfire2028

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
I see no benefits out of it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
They need to keep it on Daylight time, not Standard time. 5pm sunsets in the dead of winter suck, and it's depressing.

Having it not get light until almost 9AM in the winter would also suck, though.

I'd just as soon pick one, and I'd opt for standard time. It's annoying to change and it's even harder if you have small children, who can take weeks to adjust.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Yes I agree 5 pm sunsets suck IF you work an office job from 9-5.  That's why I don't work an office job :) I'd pick Standard time.  But, I'd also happily take eternal Daylight Savings Time over the changing back and forth any day.

financepatriot@gmail.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Passionate about FI at www.thefinancepatriot.com
    • The Finance Patriot-  The road to early retirement
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
I am not a fan at all.  I am really tired today.  I say get rid of it. 

frogstomp81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »
DST year round. But if we've gotta lose an hour early in the year to get it it's still totally worth it.

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
Its antiquated.  Ditch it.