Author Topic: credit card churning  (Read 2787 times)

me1

• Stubble
credit card churning
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:40 AM »
How does this work?
Seems like a lot of people here are into it. Also seems like a lot to learn. Any links that will help me learn more about it?

And if not churning then at least what are good credits cards to have that people recommend? I only have one, the US Bank FlexPerks Visa which I've had for years and am not all that impressed by. I think I was able to stay at a hotel for 2 nights free a few years ago, nothing else amazing from that card.
A long time ago I had the Northwest Airlines Visa, but also used to travel for work a lot more than I do now, and was able to score a free trip to Korea. I want something like that again.
SO what are your recommendations? Thanks!

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: credit card churning
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
Do the course at travelmiles101.com. I started about 18 months ago and have used and banked a ton of points.

Prevailing wisdom is to load up on Chase cards first, since they generally have the best bonuses and you are limited by their 5/24 rule (google it).

Things change pretty quickly with bonuses, restrictions and offers, but it is definitely worthwhile with a little bit of research and effort.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:35:47 AM »
I only have one, the US Bank FlexPerks Visa which I've had for years and am not all that impressed by.

Cancel that shit. The annual fee doesn't do anything but cost you money. You can get it again during the next Olympics (Flexperks traditionally gives a sign up bonus depending on how many medals the US wins).

1) Make a plan. Do you want to travel and where? Do you prefer hotels or airbnb? Do you just want cash?
2) Find a card that works towards your goal. Getting a Southwest card might be useless if they don't really fly out of your local airport, for example.
3) Yes, it's probably best to work on the Chase cards first because of the above-mentioned 5/24 rule.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »
Someone around her has a chase referral link in their signature. I can always Pm you a link if you need one, too. I personally prefer the Chase Freedom for the quick cash bonus, but I did get some Southwest miles on a Chase card for an upcoming trip I was planning. I don't travel much so I focus on cash bonus cards, although I know you can turn miles into cash.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
Here's a couple of websites that I read:

www.thepointsguy.com

www.frugaltravelguy.com

Both of the above have "beginner guides" that are well worth the time to read through.

www.doctorofcredit.com has a slightly different focus but does review credit cards.  If you go to his tab at the top that says "credit cards" you can find a spreadsheet which shows which credit cards he thinks have the best bonuses at the moment and another that shows *all* current public offers along on  with which the best offer on that card has been in recent history.  He does not accept affiliate links to credit card offers (i.e., he doesn't accept money from credit card companies) so he advice is unbiased. 

I haven't use travelmiles101 because I understand it is largely facebook based and I'm not on facebook.  Many people on these forums have used it happily.