Author Topic: Credit Card Churners - Question (Chase 5/24 Related)  (Read 2366 times)

jtraggie99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Credit Card Churners - Question (Chase 5/24 Related)
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
So, a couple of years ago I began taking advantage of credit card sign-up bonuses without really knowing what I was doing.  My initial goal was to just take advantage of cash back, as I was not really interested in using rewards for travel.  Fast forward to now and I am trying to decide how to proceed forward.  Probably the best card I have right now for everyday spend is my SPG AMEX.  I also have cards with Citi, Chase, Capital One and Bank of America, but nothing that is exceptional for everyday spend.  I had a Capital One Venture that I downgraded to Venture One to avoid the annual fee and I don't really use it as it's only 1.25 per dollar.  I did have a Chase Sapphire Preferred but closed it (once again for the fee).  It seems one of the best combinations for everyday spend is the Chase Freedom Unlimited combined with the Sapphire.  The problem is I'm over 5/24 until mid-spring next year. 

So, my question is, should I put everything on hold to hold out for a good Chase combo to use for everyday before going after new cards and sign-up bonuses?  Or just forget about Chase and maybe take advantage of some of the AMEX or other offers.  People seem to focus a lot on Chase and their Ultimate Rewards.  Is that worth putting everything on hold for most of the next year or just forget about Chase and move on?

herotomo69

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Credit Card Churners - Question (Chase 5/24 Related)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
First time poster but I felt I had something to contribute finally! I started the CC churning game just a few months ago but I may be able to give you a few pointers. Since you are at 5/24 I would suggest getting an AMEX business card. Business cards "usually" do not show up on you personal credit report. Therefore they will not count against the 5/24. Maybe another business card after that till you are under 5/24. Once you are under yes go for Chase and the UR. Its arguably the most versatile of all the rewards programs. I personally would get the CIP (Chase Ink Business Preferred). 80,000 points to start with. While you need to be under 5/24 for it, it will not count towards your 5/24, if that makes sense. Maybe after get the Sapphire Reserve (CSR) for its 1.5 rewards towards travel. I wold also suggest reading thru the reddit churning site. A wealth of info is there for the reading.

jtraggie99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »
Ok, I have a question on business cards.  As a non-business owner, there seem to be mixed opinions on getting and using a business card for non-business expenses.  I've done some driving for Uber and Lyft in the past, so I guess I could probably technically qualify.  But how closely do they watch what you spend the card on?  Some of the business cards have pretty heft spend requirements to meet the bonuses, which would pretty much entail using it for my routine, everyday purchases.

herotomo69

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »
As a general rule, the CC companies do not pay attention if you are spending it on business related items or not. Grocery store charge? Got to keep the work fridge stocked!. Restaurant charge? Client dinner! Gift cards? Employee gifts! You get the idea. I have had dental work and a tree nursery charge on my CIP and Chase did not bat an eye. Also, even a "business" works fine. Lyft, Ebay, etc. All works.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »
I am in the same situation, and as the others have said, I am hitting up business cards.  You want to avoid Chase business cards unfortunately, but the others are fair game.

I signed up for the Amex Business Gold card which gives 50,000 MR points after $5,000 spend.  PM me if you would like a link.

After I am done with the spend on this one, I might go for the Capital One Spark, which gives $500 after spending $4500.