Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229231 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2250 on: December 07, 2021, 06:13:33 PM »
Got my booster today, yay! This was my first experience getting a shot from a pharmacist, who from what I understand are trained in this at school but rarely get to practice it. Smooth sailing, injection was painless. Expecting a bit of discomfort tomorrow or next day as I felt with the initial vax.

Pharmacists, at least in my area, do a lot of flu shots and also various other vaccines. I got a TDAP booster from Walgreens a few years ago. And with the covid vaccines, I suspect they've gotten a LOT more practice.

hooplady

• Stubble
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2251 on: December 07, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »
Got my booster today, yay! This was my first experience getting a shot from a pharmacist, who from what I understand are trained in this at school but rarely get to practice it. Smooth sailing, injection was painless. Expecting a bit of discomfort tomorrow or next day as I felt with the initial vax.

Pharmacists, at least in my area, do a lot of flu shots and also various other vaccines. I got a TDAP booster from Walgreens a few years ago. And with the covid vaccines, I suspect they've gotten a LOT more practice.
You're right, I think flu shots have been available at chain pharmacies in my area for a long time. A friend who works at a small, independently owned pharmacy said that COVID was their first experience with it.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2252 on: December 07, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »

I’ve gotten my last two flu shots from the same pharmacist and had a much better experience both times than with the public health nurses who did them before.  He took a lot of care to find the right spot and the first time I didn’t even feel the needle go in.  I felt a little pinch the second time.  My arm didn’t hurt at all afterward.  The first time with him, I also had no side effects, and the next day I wondered if I had dreamed the whole thing, because the bandaid he put on was also gone.  Later found it stuck inside my shirt.  So I plan to go to this guy for my booster.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: December 08, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »

An acquaintance of mine is a pharmacist. I remember she mentioned doing the shots was one of the activities she didn't like.   - This was before covid.  Im sure shes got a ton of practice since then.  Were going to have a generation of pharmacist needing shoulder surgeries from all the shots.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2254 on: December 08, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »
Its amazing to hear the lack of experience allowed for administering the Covid vaccine, especially considering the strong link between accidental injection into the blood stream and myocarditis.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2255 on: December 09, 2021, 07:53:01 AM »
At my local Publix and Walgreens pharmacies, it is either the younger pharmacists or the interns doing the jabbing. The reason is that the younger ones learnt how to give jabs in pharmacy school; for the older ones, it wasn't part of their curriculum, or there wasn't a practical component, hence their hesitancy to do something that they're untrained for, and liable in case shit happens.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2256 on: December 09, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »
Its amazing to hear the lack of experience allowed for administering the Covid vaccine, especially considering the strong link between accidental injection into the blood stream and myocarditis.

Interesting.  I hadn't read about that before . . . https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34406358/.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2257 on: December 09, 2021, 08:20:02 AM »

Interesting.  I hadn't read about that before . . . https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34406358/.

There are quite a few accounts, one of which is a friend of mine's wife, of people that taste metallically/saline in after the covid vaccine injection and get acute myocarditis right after... that taste is often associated with an injection entering the bloodstream.  I think we are going to find that this was the majority of the cause of the mysterious myocarditis associated with the covid vaccine when the dust settles.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2258 on: December 09, 2021, 09:23:19 AM »
Serious question: do pharmacists and other human medical professionals not pull black on the plunger before giving an injection? That's standard practice in veterinary medicine, but I'm now realizing that I'm not sure I've seen it all that often in human medicine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2259 on: December 09, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »
Serious question: do pharmacists and other human medical professionals not pull black on the plunger before giving an injection? That's standard practice in veterinary medicine, but I'm now realizing that I'm not sure I've seen it all that often in human medicine.

I worked a lot with vets and yes that is standard.  But apparently human medicine dropped it a while ago.  I don't know why, because it makes sense.  I've done enough fetal pig dissections to see that every so often development takes a slightly different path and a blood vessel or nerve bundle is not in it's usual position.  Plus someone who uses a muscle a lot is going to have a better blood supply to it, so more chance of hitting a blood vessel.  The myocarditis was mostly in younger men, if I recall correctly?  They are the most likely to have large upper arm muscles.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:34:23 AM by RetiredAt63 »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2260 on: December 09, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
Dropped because it increases pain and the risk of large vessels at the approved vaccination sites is very low. I imagine that the variability of breed and species anatomy might make it a more useful practice in vet medicine.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2261 on: December 09, 2021, 11:11:11 AM »
Dropped because it increases pain and the risk of large vessels at the approved vaccination sites is very low. I imagine that the variability of breed and species anatomy might make it a more useful practice in vet medicine.

Makes sense. In 15 years as a vet, I always drew back before IM/SC injections, but didn't notice until recently that they don't do it in humans.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2262 on: December 19, 2021, 08:05:16 PM »
Well update - I finally have a anti vax family member in the hospital.  An uncle.  Currently sedated and on a ventilator.

Not sure what the outcomes are these days once it gets this far.  It's really tragic that there is a vaccine and people won't take it.

It *could* cost 1000s of dollars like other medical stuff, instead I read the vaccine is billed around $40 to whoever is paying atm and free to everyone it seems. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2263 on: December 20, 2021, 04:10:57 AM »
Well update - I finally have a anti vax family member in the hospital.  An uncle.  Currently sedated and on a ventilator.

Not sure what the outcomes are these days once it gets this far.  It's really tragic that there is a vaccine and people won't take it.

It *could* cost 1000s of dollars like other medical stuff, instead I read the vaccine is billed around $40 to whoever is paying atm and free to everyone it seems.
I’m so sorry to hear about your uncle. That is really tragic.

I just heard from a friend yesterday who chose not to get the vax. He had told me many months ago that he felt he was healthy with a strong immune system and would be just fine. He is in his 50s and one of those athletic, salads and barbells guys. And yep, he was sick for a few days and is fine now. So is his teen son. But not so much his FIL in his 80s who is now in the hospital after Thanksgiving dinner. He did tell me his FIL has other health issues. Thankfully he is on the mend and while his MIL also got Covid, she recovered at home. Out of the whole lot, only his vaccinated wife continued testing negative throughout.

This was what I worried about when he told me he didn’t want to get vaxxed. Then again, his in laws are in their 80s and chose not to get vaccinated for whatever reason so that’s on them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Quick PSA for the immunocompromised folks... they've just shortened the six-month wait for a booster to five months. So if you got a third dose in August when they approved those, you are now eligible for a booster this month (mine was Aug 14 so I'm eligible Jan 14). I just made my appointment for next week! A big relief as I've been very worried about my susceptibility to Omicron, being nearly five months out from my last dose with a primary immune deficiency and a bunch of other medical issues. (ETA a link if you want verification: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html )

The shortened booster time also applies to regular folks, but I'd guess there aren't too many US residents who waited that long to get their first vaccine but are so eager for their booster that they're going to get it the minute they're eligible. At any rate, if you are a non-immune-compromised US resident who got their second dose of Moderna or Pfizer in August, you are also now eligible for your booster this month.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:58:56 PM by Dollar Slice »