Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229546 times)

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2100 on: November 12, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
California has now basically taken the position that if you're an adult and you want a booster, you can have a booster.  This is based on their broad readings of CDC guidelines.  Providers are being told not to turn adults away.  I think is absolutely how it should be -- if all adults are eligible for the vaccine, then all should be eligible for the booster.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2101 on: November 12, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
California has now basically taken the position that if you're an adult and you want a booster, you can have a booster.  This is based on their broad readings of CDC guidelines.  Providers are being told not to turn adults away.  I think is absolutely how it should be -- if all adults are eligible for the vaccine, then all should be eligible for the booster.

Thanks for posting this, I had missed it. I think this is enough to convince DH he is "allowed"  ... And me too!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2102 on: November 12, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »
I'm in the he south. Not many people want their shot. 

Unfortunately I still can't get the booster by definition.  There's no wait and nobody else really wants it but they are still holding for high risk.

I guess I'll get it when my state let's everyone.  There certainly won't be a shortage around here.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2103 on: November 12, 2021, 05:03:46 PM »
I got my booster shot today(Pfizer). My last one was in 5/5.
i went to the government site and saw that I could get it at CVS so I signed up.
I have insurance but I checked NO(the government will pay for it) and went to my appointment today. Showed the nurse my old vaccine card she after the card, updated it for me. Didn't really need to tell them why I need a booster.

I was under the impression that the government pays if you have no insurance, but if you have insurance then your insurance pays, and that if you claim you have no insurance but you do and they find out then you can be charged for it.  I have no idea how they verify that or how they would try to charge you though.
I wonder myself.
My stepfather got J&J.
A month later they tested him and he had zero antibodies (he's a cancer patient).

He just got the Moderna booster.
But even though his doctor says he should get another Moderna after the recommended waiting time...Medicare won't pay for it because he's already gotten the booster, even though he had no antibodies.

Anyway, I told him to ask the pharmacy what it costs to get the 2nd Moderna.  Dude, I will pay for it myself.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2104 on: November 12, 2021, 09:28:24 PM »
I got my booster shot today(Pfizer). My last one was in 5/5.
i went to the government site and saw that I could get it at CVS so I signed up.
I have insurance but I checked NO(the government will pay for it) and went to my appointment today. Showed the nurse my old vaccine card she after the card, updated it for me. Didn't really need to tell them why I need a booster.

I was under the impression that the government pays if you have no insurance, but if you have insurance then your insurance pays, and that if you claim you have no insurance but you do and they find out then you can be charged for it.  I have no idea how they verify that or how they would try to charge you though.
I wonder myself.
My stepfather got J&J.
A month later they tested him and he had zero antibodies (he's a cancer patient).

He just got the Moderna booster.
But even though his doctor says he should get another Moderna after the recommended waiting time...Medicare won't pay for it because he's already gotten the booster, even though he had no antibodies.

Anyway, I told him to ask the pharmacy what it costs to get the 2nd Moderna.  Dude, I will pay for it myself.
Some VA clinics are doing family members free too, especially if they live with or are in close contact with a veteran. Possibly check that route near you/him?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2105 on: November 13, 2021, 05:42:15 AM »
SO and I got our Moderna boosters (after Pfizer for shots 1 & 2) yesterday!  I was a little tired yesterday and my arm started hurting a lot overnight.  Feeling okay otherwise this morning.  SO mostly feels fine - just a little bit of a sore arm.

In my NE grocery store pharmacy, we had to sign a paper where we checked a box that said why we were eligible - broad categories like "18-54 and has a high-risk condition" - but no other questioning or proof needed or anything.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2106 on: November 13, 2021, 08:31:29 AM »
I got my booster this week. Sore arm and some skin discomfort kind of all over, but not that bad. I took ibuprophen and was fine. I had a breakthrough case of COVID a little more than three months ago, so I thought "maybe I still have antibodies from that without the booster?" BUT I also don't want another breakthrough case, EVER. Because it sucked and I was really, really sick. So I went and got my booster.

I am eligible according to the criteria, but no one asked and they just handed me a form about the side effects, asked the normal questions about allergies, etc., then gave me the shot.

I'm in the camp that all adults in the US who want a booster and are 6+ months out from their last dose should just go get it if they want it.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2107 on: November 13, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
I find it strange that there seems to be no central records of shots kept in the US.  Due to the private health system, I guess?  With our public health here, records are kept based on our personal health numbers, so there's no way to just play the system or have to answer a bunch of questions to prove that you qualify.  So much simpler.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2108 on: November 13, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »
The states have vaccine databases

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2109 on: November 13, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
One of my step brothers is an EMT. Being in a very high-risk occupation, it's not surprising that he contracted the virus last winter right before he would have been eligible to receive the vaccine. So then he couldn't get vaccinated right away.

A few months went by, and by then both he and his wife became eligible for vaccination, but they decided not to get their shots. His reasoning was that he already had it, so he was immune now, and his symptoms hadn't been very severe anyway. She just went along and told herself that she probably also had a mild case (although she never got tested for anything). They made it through the summer fine, but then he contracted it again in the fall, and he got really, really sick the second time and ended up hospitalized. His wife freaked out and finally went and got her first dose . . . but it was too late, he had already exposed her, and she ended up sick and then hospitalized as well.

Thankfully they both recovered and were eventually released from the hospital. Will they now carefully track 90 days and then go get vaccinated? Probably not . . . but I hope I'm wrong. At this point in the pandemic, any frontline healthcare worker who doesn't get vaccinated is not making choices based upon logic, after all.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2110 on: November 13, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »
They don’t have to wait 90 days anymore unless they got monoclonal antibodies!

I’m sorry to hear they got sick, though.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2111 on: November 13, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »
Yeah? That's a good point! I wonder how long the guidance is to wait for vaccination after an infection these days?

They are younger than I am, and I don't know whether or not they would have qualified for the antibody infusion due to other health factors (such as how long he was sick before he went to the hospital).

The funny thing is that I would not have known about the 90 day waiting period from what I was told by health care providers . . . maybe it was written on something I signed when I got the infusion? Honestly, I was feeling crumby; I know I signed a bunch of forms, but I don't remember what they said. My friend who is a nurse told me about the 90 day waiting period for the booster afterwards, which I confirmed online once I was feeling okay. The booster was not yet available when I had my breakthrough case anyway. I think the whole ordeal only delayed my booster about a month from when I would have gotten it anyway.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2112 on: November 13, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
For initial vaccination, you only have to be out of your isolation period

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2113 on: November 14, 2021, 02:20:05 PM »
Officially boosted.  Moderna after initial Pfizer series.

My BF decided he was ready for the shot (eligible with BMI), and since I didn't have to confirm I was eligible on the sign up page, I went ahead and got mine too.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2114 on: November 14, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »
Yay!!!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2115 on: November 16, 2021, 04:51:32 AM »
Children are dosed with their first shot, so relieved even though I know they need their second and then to wait another two weeks.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2116 on: November 16, 2021, 04:58:52 AM »
The kid is signed up for Saturday.  My husband isn't thrilled about it, but he'll get over it.  The way it worked out, I'll get my booster with him on his first dose and my husband will be ready for his booster when the kid's ready for the second dose.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2117 on: November 16, 2021, 05:53:44 AM »
Same here.  I technically qualify for medical reasons, but no one asked me anything when I went to get my booster.  The pharmacy said they have lots of supply.  They clearly want more people to come in.  That you're hesitating @NotJen speaks worlds about your kindness and morality.  But at this point I would just go get it. 

It's been a day now since I did the mix-n-match Moderna booster and a flu shot at the same time.  Nothing -- my arms aren't even sore.  I'll just hope all is well, and they didn't give me saline or something by mistake haha.

Just an update to say that I did end up having a side effect to the Moderna booster -- I broke out in itchy hives after three days.  I read online that about 2% of people get that with Moderna. 

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2118 on: November 16, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »
Same here.  I technically qualify for medical reasons, but no one asked me anything when I went to get my booster.  The pharmacy said they have lots of supply.  They clearly want more people to come in.  That you're hesitating @NotJen speaks worlds about your kindness and morality.  But at this point I would just go get it. 

It's been a day now since I did the mix-n-match Moderna booster and a flu shot at the same time.  Nothing -- my arms aren't even sore.  I'll just hope all is well, and they didn't give me saline or something by mistake haha.

Just an update to say that I did end up having a side effect to the Moderna booster -- I broke out in itchy hives after three days.  I read online that about 2% of people get that with Moderna.

I also had hives 3 days after my 2nd Pfizer dose.  Claritin cleared it up after I realized what it was (never had hives before).

Looks like the Moderna booster is also giving me hives, but it’s presenting differently (so far it’s large itchy welts but only 1 at a time), and started the evening after I got the shot.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2119 on: November 23, 2021, 11:37:46 AM »
Bumping to make sure everyone knows that everyone 18+ is eligible for the boosters now, as long as you're 6+ past your Pfizer/Moderna or 2+ months past J&J.

A friend of mine who is older and also a cancer survivor had COVID last week, and luckily had just gotten her booster shot the week before... I suspect she would have been very sick without it. She still felt pretty rough since her immune system isn't great, but she is mostly back to normal now.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2120 on: November 23, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
My kid got his first shot and I got my booster on Saturday.  My husband will get his booster in three weeks when the kid gets his second shot.  We'll all be fully vaxed and boosted by xmas day.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #2121 on: November 26, 2021, 06:46:47 PM »
Hubby and I just got our boosters. Moderna for all 3. I got the muscle aches that night but it cleared by morning and he didn't have any extra side effect. The usual sore arm wasn't nearly as sore as it was for the first 2 shots and we both got our flu shot at the same time. So there is hope for any one who got creamed by the 2nd shot (DH suffered the whole day after the 2nd shot).

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2122 on: November 26, 2021, 07:14:05 PM »
Hubby and I just got our boosters. Moderna for all 3. I got the muscle aches that night but it cleared by morning and he didn't have any extra side effect. The usual sore arm wasn't nearly as sore as it was for the first 2 shots and we both got our flu shot at the same time. So there is hope for any one who got creamed by the 2nd shot (DH suffered the whole day after the 2nd shot).

I had the same experience with my Pfizer shots: #1 had no effect on me at all, #2 left me feverish and extremely fatigued for a whole day, and I was expecting a similar reaction with #3... but the booster only gave me a mild fever and sore arm for a half day. Well worth it!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:16:11 PM by Adventine »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2123 on: November 26, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
Glad your friend who got sick is doing okay now @Dollar Slice.

I had a weird experience volunteering at the rescue mission recently. Was sitting there filling little cups with sauce when another volunteer joined me and immediately launched into a weird, unprompted, conspiracy-filled monologue about how the reason there are so many variants is that too many people are vaccinated and that "the inventor" or the vaccines said this was true in some article she read. Obviously this is completely the opposite of how virus evolution works: less spread of a virus means less replication and thus less rapid evolution of new variants. Not to mention that there isn't any single person who invented these vaccines, so her source is totally faulty. Anyway, she certainly seemed confident and proudly proclaimed that she wouldn't be getting a booster. The only thing I can think of that triggered her to launch into lecturing me is that the people manning the volunteer door at the mission insisted she wear a mask in their kitchen and gave her one since she didn't bring one.

Then she complained that the blood bank wouldn't let her give a donation because her temp was measured at 101!  I moved away from her as soon as I could.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2124 on: November 26, 2021, 09:05:45 PM »
Glad your friend who got sick is doing okay now @Dollar Slice.

I had a weird experience volunteering at the rescue mission recently. Was sitting there filling little cups with sauce when another volunteer joined me and immediately launched into a weird, unprompted, conspiracy-filled monologue about how the reason there are so many variants is that too many people are vaccinated and that "the inventor" or the vaccines said this was true in some article she read. Obviously this is completely the opposite of how virus evolution works: less spread of a virus means less replication and thus less rapid evolution of new variants. Not to mention that there isn't any single person who invented these vaccines, so her source is totally faulty. Anyway, she certainly seemed confident and proudly proclaimed that she wouldn't be getting a booster. The only thing I can think of that triggered her to launch into lecturing me is that the people manning the volunteer door at the mission insisted she wear a mask in their kitchen and gave her one since she didn't bring one.

Then she complained that the blood bank wouldn't let her give a donation because her temp was measured at 101!  I moved away from her as soon as I could.
"The" inventor is likely Robert Malone, who has claimed this label since at least 2010. Malone was a researcher at the Salk Institute involved with mRNA vaccine research but it appears most people wouldn't say that he was the inventor (or that anyone can be deemed as the sole inventor). Apparently, Malone claims that his central role in mRNA vaccine development was obfuscated and that others have stolen much of the glory. For some more context, here is a 1989 paper by Malone as lead author and here is a 1990 paper with Malone as second author. But of course, his claim on this matter is not relevant to the question of vaccine escape risk.

The thinking behind vaccine-induced escape variants is based on the observation that many of the vaccines train the immune system on just the spike protein. Such narrow targeting gives the virus a different evolutionary landscape than natural infection, which would induce immune response against many or all of the viral proteins. The reason this matters for covid vaccines and not for other narrowly targeted vaccines is that covid is in wide circulation in the population. Compared to a rare disease, vaccinating against covid will often result in an exposure which will provide opportunities for natural selection to find variants that are specifically capable of circumventing the vaccine-induced immunity. If such an outcome is unlikely but a billion people end up being exposed to covid following vaccination, the odds of an escape variant occurring somewhere are higher than if baseline rates of infection were much lower. But comparing natural to vaccine-induced immunity would require detailed analysis of immunological data in the vaccinated and in convalescents and I don't think it's clear at this point which type of immunity is more- or less-favorable to the emergence of variants when taking all factors into consideration, including the total number of viral copies made in each scenario.

As an example, under a certain set of assumptions, this paper finds that escape risk is highest for an intermediate level of population vaccination.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2125 on: November 26, 2021, 09:34:43 PM »
Exactly, HIGH levels of vaccination would be ideal to prevent variants because it would reduce the spread and exposure. Unfortunately, we are not in that situation, and the take away that the idiot spouting nonsense to me got from whatever she read was that vaccines were causing the problem, and her next conclusion was that people should not get vaccinated. That you for the thoughtful and detailed response, @lost_in_the_endless_aisle.

And I'm sorry, but Malone is not the inventor of these vaccines if those are the papers he is using as the basis of his claims. I have also worked in gene therapy and have delivered small RNA to cells, but I did not invent these vaccines. So that leads me to believe that Malone is just an asshole with an overblown sense of his own contributions who likes to run his mouth. In the environment of message amplification we live in today, someone like him can do a lot of damage.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2126 on: November 27, 2021, 11:47:07 AM »
OMG, Omicron… Spike protein mutations. Moderna maybe ineffective. I’m about ready to get a booster. Should I get J&J to mix it up?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2127 on: November 27, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »
OMG, Omicron… Spike protein mutations. Moderna maybe ineffective. I’m about ready to get a booster. Should I get J&J to mix it up?

Where did you hear that Moderna may be ineffective? I don't think any of the companies have had time to complete testing. Moderna announced that they are prepping a variant vaccine just in case, but they did that for Beta and Delta also and it turned out to be unnecessary. Best to be proactive and shave as many days off the process as possible if it turns out to be the variant where TSHTF.

All the US vaccines used the OG COVID spike protein so they'll probably have a very similar drop in efficacy against Omicron if that turns out to be a problem (again, I think testing is still ongoing - I haven't seen any numbers). Unless you want to wait for numbers for specific vaccines to come out I would get whatever is supposed to be the strongest booster with your original vaccine.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2128 on: November 27, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »

Where did you hear that Moderna may be ineffective? I don't think any of the companies have had time to complete testing.

Read that it will take a couple of weeks before there is any real data on stuff like more severe / milder disease, vaccine efficacy (or lack thereof) etc for this new variant. South Africa has one of the world's most sophisticated virology communities as they have more than their fair share of the stuff to deal with, also way before covid. Back in the day it was pointed out it was not strange the "british" variant was discovered in the UK, the UK has the leading community on this stuff in Europe and they looked a lot harder than anyone else, except Iceland noone sequenced a higher share of positve covid samples than the UK.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2129 on: November 27, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
Where did you hear that Moderna may be ineffective?

I saw it on the Internet, therefore it’s truth must be absolute! 

Okay, I read it in an article. The statement noted that since Moderna is so focused on the spike protein, and Omicron has so many mutations in the spike protein, that Moderna is likely to be less effective. But if so, then why not Pfizer also?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2130 on: November 27, 2021, 05:16:48 PM »
Okay, I read it in an article. The statement noted that since Moderna is so focused on the spike protein, and Omicron has so many mutations in the spike protein, that Moderna is likely to be less effective. But if so, then why not Pfizer also?

AFAIK all three vaccines available in the US are based on the original spike protein. They did that because it was thought at the time that the spike protein was a vital part of the virus that was unlikely to change too much without damaging the virus's ability to propagate. And so far they're right - the vaccine has been fairly effective against all widespread variants for almost two years. Not perfect, but after two years of constant mutation it's still largely keeping people out of the hospital/coffins and dramatically reducing transmission.

I would be very surprised if Moderna was susceptible to Omicron in a way that Pfizer and J&J are not. You can google it, they are all based on the spike protein. And Moderna seems to be stronger against Delta than the other two, so there's no reason to think it would be weaker against Omicron without specific test results saying so.

If you got Moderna originally you can switch to a Pfizer booster, that was shown to be the highest immune response, IIRC. That way your bases will be covered if one or the other has a bit of a weakness to Omicron. You could do J&J too, but I think the numbers were not as good and it is getting hard to find since it's in low demand.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2131 on: November 28, 2021, 06:08:56 AM »
Got my booster last week, Moderna.  Arm soreness for a couple of days, and felt a bit off for a day.  Ibuprofen handled most of it.  Overall a much milder reaction than the second shot. 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2132 on: November 28, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »
Did any one get a rash? I got "covid arm" - big swollen fist size welt at the injection site on my second moderna shot (nothing on first moderna shot) - but shortly after getting the Pfizer booster about 3 weeks ago got a big rash all over both my upper arms that hasn't gone away yet. Doesn't seem very common but I guess it happens.

Blech.  I also got a big red area at the injection site.  I didn't notice it on the first two but I could have just not noticed.  I had all three moderna...

@Trifele, wanna comment?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2133 on: November 28, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
@spartana -- Yes, big rash here.  I got a Moderna booster on top of 2 Pfizers 18 days ago and I still have the rash over my neck, arms, and upper body.  Some of them were small red hives, but most of them are big welts the size of a dime.  Super itchy.  Trying very hard not to scratch. 

FWIW I had no reaction at all to the two Pfizers, and this rash was the only reaction I had to the Moderna booster.  No arm soreness, fever, etc.   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 09:27:30 AM by Trifele »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2134 on: November 28, 2021, 09:30:14 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about when they're going to open up boosters to under 18?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2135 on: November 28, 2021, 09:31:10 AM »
Moderna for all 3 shots for me.

No rash, no side effects, just a little soreness around the injection site which faded away over a couple days.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2136 on: November 28, 2021, 07:01:33 PM »
Get a booster

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2137 on: November 28, 2021, 08:29:20 PM »
If you're in your 30s, with no health problems, and you completed the Pfizer or Moderna series 6+ months ago, are you supposed to get a booster?

As far as I can tell, you're allowed to get one, but they're not saying you should:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html
I think the right answer would depend on a lot of specifics, including whether or not there are other people you have close contact to that may be high risk, how well you tolerated the original shots, and your immune function/overall health. Here is a paper reviewing some of the tradeoffs and evaluating severe risk reduction versus infection risk for different strains and vaccines:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02046-8/fulltext#%20

Overall, the paper argues:
Current evidence does not, therefore, appear to show a need for boosting in the general population, in which efficacy against severe disease remains high. Even if humoral immunity appears to wane, reductions in neutralising antibody titre do not necessarily predict reductions in vaccine efficacy over time, and reductions in vaccine efficacy against mild disease do not necessarily predict reductions in the (typically higher) efficacy against severe disease. This effect could be because protection against severe disease is mediated not only by antibody responses, which might be relatively short lived for some vaccines, but also by memory responses and cell-mediated immunity, which are generally longer lived. The ability of vaccines that present the antigens of earlier phases of the pandemic (rather than variant-specific antigens) to elicit humoral immune responses against currently circulating variants indicates that these variants have not yet evolved to the point at which they are likely to escape the memory immune responses induced by those vaccines

I am not currently planning on getting boosted but may change my mind based on new information. But if Omicron becomes a thing, I would rather wait to be boosted for that than for the original strain. Moderna claims they can develop and deliver a new variant booster in 100 days if necessary.

efree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog about P2P lending
« Reply #2138 on: November 29, 2021, 12:24:33 AM »
I am not currently planning on getting boosted but may change my mind based on new information. But if Omicron becomes a thing, I would rather wait to be boosted for that than for the original strain. Moderna claims they can develop and deliver a new variant booster in 100 days if necessary.

I completely agree with this. So far there has been no compelling evidence that boosters for the general population are necessary. I'm 40, I had my two shots in May/June and don't plan to get boosted anytime soon. And if the data regarding Omicron turns out to be bad, I'd rather get boosted with an Omicron-specific vaccine, same as you.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2139 on: November 29, 2021, 05:34:26 AM »
I think it's a very good idea for everyone to get boosted.  I'm in my 40s with no issues, but I did and encouraged all my friends to do so.  Same reason why I get the flu shot every year.  Is the flu going to kill me?  Very unlikely, but I have in-laws in their 80s and immunocompromised friends, so the less covid there is floating around, the safer it is for them.  It's free and easy to get a booster, so why not?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2140 on: November 29, 2021, 05:37:21 AM »
I’m interested in hearing about why you think you have to choose between boosting now (or whenever your 6-8 months rolls around) and getting an omicron specific booster.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2141 on: November 29, 2021, 06:14:20 AM »

I completely agree with this. So far there has been no compelling evidence that boosters for the general population are necessary. I'm 40, I had my two shots in May/June and don't plan to get boosted anytime soon. And if the data regarding Omicron turns out to be bad, I'd rather get boosted with an Omicron-specific vaccine, same as you.

Pretty much the same here. I'm in my 30s and got Moderna in the spring. I think the fears of the Omicron variant are massively overblown but fear = sales to the media and power to politicians so I expect nothing less. I'm also getting more cynical every day about the motivations of the pharmaceutical industry - and the bureaucracy they've captured (FDA) when it comes to approving boosters for everyone. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/top-fda-regulators-blast-us-booster-plan-after-announcing-resignations/  Are Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, etc. motivated to do good, or to do well (for their shareholders)? They just increased their total addressable market by 50% for a product that would normally only generate one or two sales. 

efree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog about P2P lending
« Reply #2142 on: November 29, 2021, 07:16:28 AM »
I’m interested in hearing about why you think you have to choose between boosting now (or whenever your 6-8 months rolls around) and getting an omicron specific booster.

I don't think I have to choose between these two things. It's simply that I see no reason to boost now. I have no immunocompromised friends and there's no indication that vaccine protection against severe disease and death is waning. In fact, what I've read about B and T cells, they get created slowly after the vaccination and become more potent with time. I don't want to interfere with this process if I don't have to, and vaccination does interfere with it (or so I've read).

I've also never got the flu vaccine. Never got the flu either (to my knowledge). I get a lot of mild colds but never so severe that I have to miss work. In 20 years that's happened only once (and that was appendicitis, not a cold/virus). And then there's also what Michael said - the companies are very interested in giving everyone a third dose. And we are all paying for that via our taxes so I don't want to get an unnecessary booster. If the moment comes that the data is clear that the first two doses stop protecting against death then I'll get my booster (current or Omicron or whatever).

That aside, if you're thinking of getting the booster in December and then potentially another Omicron booster in February/March, well, I don't know if the doctors would recommend that. Seems too close together to me, increased risk of side-effects.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2143 on: November 29, 2021, 07:24:00 AM »
DH and I both got our boosters yesterday. With Christmas rapidly approaching and us hoping to have some larger family gatherings this year I figured anything that might help reduce potential transmission would be a good thing to give our 16month old another layer of protection. We live in a cold weather climate so large, indoor gatherings are in our future.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2144 on: November 29, 2021, 07:24:40 AM »
My husband and I are healthy and in our early 30s. We chose to get boosters because we have an international trip coming up. Fingers crossed the borders don't close on us.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2145 on: November 29, 2021, 08:17:24 AM »
I'm getting boosted today. DH is struggling with the decision, reading a lot about whether or not it's likely to be helpful for a younger very healthy person who is really unhappy about worldwide vaccine inequality. I reminded him that in our extensive holiday travels we'll be visiting my family, where there will be unvaxxed children from a higher risk household, then immediately getting on a plane to visit his family, including an elderly father and another unvaxxed child, so if he wants to protect his family from mine (I knew this would ring his bell!) he might want to consider the booster.

He's now leaning toward it but I think it's a fair point about vaccine inequality. Like recycling any individual item, his holding out is not going to make much of a difference, and it certainly doesn't mean that particular dose will go to a developing country.  But I can definitely see the ethical concern, even though I've made my decision.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2146 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:31 AM »
I'm getting boosted today. DH is struggling with the decision, reading a lot about whether or not it's likely to be helpful for a younger very healthy person who is really unhappy about worldwide vaccine inequality. I reminded him that in our extensive holiday travels we'll be visiting my family, where there will be unvaxxed children from a higher risk household, then immediately getting on a plane to visit his family, including an elderly father and another unvaxxed child, so if he wants to protect his family from mine (I knew this would ring his bell!) he might want to consider the booster.

He's now leaning toward it but I think it's a fair point about vaccine inequality. Like recycling any individual item, his holding out is not going to make much of a difference, and it certainly doesn't mean that particular dose will go to a developing country.  But I can definitely see the ethical concern, even though I've made my decision.

I struggled with guilt over vaccine inequality too. I come from one of those lower income countries still struggling to secure adequate vaccine supplies. As in, people would line up in the wee hours of the morning just to get their shots, and sometimes almost stampeded vaccination centers. Meanwhile, I was in the US as a tourist and got vaccinated in 15 minutes. I actually cried after receiving my first shot, marveling at how so damn easy it was to get vaccinated in the US, while all my loved ones back home were under military-enforced quarantine and curfew, waiting for their turn.

My husband helped me frame it in a different way: depriving myself of a life-saving vaccine does not in any way help the people back home. Each vaccinated person in this world makes it safer for everyone else.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2147 on: November 29, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »

I struggled with guilt over vaccine inequality too. I come from one of those lower income countries still struggling to secure adequate vaccine supplies. As in, people would line up in the wee hours of the morning just to get their shots, and sometimes almost stampeded vaccination centers. Meanwhile, I was in the US as a tourist and got vaccinated in 15 minutes. I actually cried after receiving my first shot, marveling at how so damn easy it was to get vaccinated in the US, while all my loved ones back home were under military-enforced quarantine and curfew, waiting for their turn.

My husband helped me frame it in a different way: depriving myself of a life-saving vaccine does not in any way help the people back home. Each vaccinated person in this world makes it safer for everyone else.

I had similar thoughts the first time around.  Work pulled some strings and got for everyone who wanted it months before we would have otherwise been eligible.  In the end, it turned out not to matter because only about 1/3 of our workforce got it and the general public wasn't much better.  They were begging people to come get them just so they wouldn't have to throw so many doses away after a vial was opened. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2148 on: November 29, 2021, 04:16:09 PM »
The CDC has updated their recommendations today... they're now saying that all eligible 18+ people *should* get a booster even if healthy.

Mitigating spread among healthy people keeps immune compromised people from getting it... and they're pretty sure the worst variants are created in immune compromised people because it just sits and stews for weeks. So. Makes sense to do what you can to minimize spread.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2149 on: November 29, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

It's something to see the mental gymnastics people go through in deciding to get the booster or making up excuses not to get it.

I didn't struggle with the decision for a moment.  I got it the first chance I got.