Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229599 times)

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
@Britan your body is also busy doing other stuff!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
It's been 24 hours now with my 3rd dose of Pfizer, and I don't feel anything but a bruise on my arm. I hope I'm immune!

Britan

• Bristles
@Britan your body is also busy doing other stuff!
Good point ;D

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Got my covid vax booster tonight! Moderna, should pair nicely with the J&J I got in April. Wish me luck for no/minimal side effects, cause I have a fence to build tomorrow. So far arm isn't even really sore.

Speaking of the J&J I got in April, apparently Walgreens messed up the paperwork and I have been counted amongst the unvaccinated since April. The pharmacist had to call them to get the info for my brand new vaccine card. Only the paperwork I had, which was not what I was supposed to have, indicated that I did indeed receive a vaccine. So that was fun.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
I went online to schedule a Moderna booster at Costco but the application process only gave me the option of a J&J boost, I got the J&J shot originally.
I'll stop by later and see if I can do a walk-in.

They told me they often have extras of Moderna (I only asked about Moderna) and to come in before noon, during the week for walk in.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Got my third dose of Pfizer on Wednesday, along with a flu shot. It would have  been nice to cross-vax, but since my second shot was in February, I happily took what was available. Thursday was a completely off day. I felt tired and a little feverish. Was I "sick"? I don't think so, but because I'm FIRE, disconnecting from the world was an easy choice and the day of rest was delicious.

Of note: This time I was told to move my arms as much as possible and drink extra fluids. Both tips helped. Way less arm soreness.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Just got my Pfizer booster about an hour ago. Hoping for no or low side-effects.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Just got my Pfizer booster about an hour ago. Hoping for no or low side-effects.

Good luck. I got Moderna last night. Slightly swollen arm, mildly sore, and developed a mild fever about 1pm today. Am being a couch potato but am feeling ok while I'm a couch potato.

Edit: I have not hit bottom yet. I don't feel good. Took more ibuprofen, am whiny.

Edit 2: I am feeling better after a full night's sleep. Went to bed very early, woke up late.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 09:12:08 AM by Sibley »

Kris

• Walrus Stache

Good luck. I got Moderna last night. Slightly swollen arm, mildly sore, and developed a mild fever about 1pm today. Am being a couch potato but am feeling ok while I'm a couch potato.

Thanks! Pfizer dose 2 kicked my ass for three days, so I’m just hoping for less than that. Arm hurts a little right now, but that doesn’t mean anything.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
DH & I got our Moderna booster this morning. My arm is starting to be pretty sore and I’m beginning to feel really tired. Hoping this is the worst of it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 07:19:47 PM by iluvzbeach »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
Woohoo, my 69 year old mother got her booster today.  I said I wanted to get my blood pressure read in the machine at the pharmacy and while I was doing it I got the pharmacist's attention and asked if my mother could get a booster today--so the J&J shot she got in April is now boosted with Pfizer. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
That's great to hear that they let her get a different booster @Loretta.  As of a couple days ago when I tried to "mix and match" at Walgreens they wouldn't let me.  They said they were waiting on official guidance (?)

The 585

That's great to hear that they let her get a different booster @Loretta.  As of a couple days ago when I tried to "mix and match" at Walgreens they wouldn't let me.  They said they were waiting on official guidance (?)

It's sad many places still aren't honoring the updated CDC/FDA guidelines! I'm a J&J'er and got a Pfizer booster at Walgreens the first day mix-and match was authorized, no questions asked. I'd try a different location or pharmacy.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
DH & I got our Moderna booster this morning. My arm is starting to be pretty sore and I’m beginning to feel really tired. Hoping this is the worst of it.

DH & I both feel pretty puny today but nothing like after the second dose. I’ve got a low-grade fever and am pretty achy. DH feels very fatigued. I’d still get the booster all over again, even knowing I might have to plan a down day each time.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Happy Halloween…

Got our boosters today at the Pumpkin patch.

Our last dose was on April Fools day (4/1) so when they announced vaccines on Halloween at the pumpkin patch we couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Might as well make it memorable right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris

• Walrus Stache

DH & I both feel pretty puny today but nothing like after the second dose. I’ve got a low-grade fever and am pretty achy. DH feels very fatigued. I’d still get the booster all over again, even knowing I might have to plan a down day each time.

After getting my booster yesterday, I feel like you do today. And I, too, got hammered by the second dose.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2016 on: November 01, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »
Just got my moderna booster 2 hours ago...will see if tonight/tomorrow is bad.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?
« Reply #2017 on: November 01, 2021, 12:15:13 PM »

After getting my booster yesterday, I feel like you do today. And I, too, got hammered by the second dose.

Update:

Though I felt bad Sunday, I got a good night of sleep and I feel good today (except my arm is still a little sore).

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2018 on: November 01, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »

Update:

Though I felt bad Sunday, I got a good night of sleep and I feel good today (except my arm is still a little sore).

My update is I still (again) feel crummy. Temp reached 101.3° yesterday, even taking ibuprofen around the clock. I slept great last night and felt good this morning (with my normal temp of 97.4°, but as the day has worn on I’ve progressively gotten worse and temp has gone back up over 99°. ☹️

I’m confident I’ll be back to 100% by tomorrow.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2019 on: November 02, 2021, 05:19:35 AM »
Just got my moderna booster 2 hours ago...will see if tonight/tomorrow is bad.

So far, so good.  I didn't wake up with fever and chills like last time, and no weird muscle aches yet either.  Just tired and have a sore arm.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2020 on: November 02, 2021, 08:32:55 AM »
My worst vaccine reaction has been to tetanus, every time.  Last time was part of TDAP, hot red sore bump for over a week, a month before the bump was finally gone.

No, I lie, I got the rabies preventative vaccine once decades ago (not the one for when you have been bitten) and it was a doozy.

First Pfizer was nothing, second Pfizer nothing until 3 days later when I felt like I had the flu, fine the next day.  By the time the booster is approved for my age group I will be ready for it (I want an 8 month gap).

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2021 on: November 02, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

Update:

My update is I still (again) feel crummy. Temp reached 101.3° yesterday, even taking ibuprofen around the clock. I slept great last night and felt good this morning (with my normal temp of 97.4°, but as the day has worn on I’ve progressively gotten worse and temp has gone back up over 99°. ☹️

I’m confident I’ll be back to 100% by tomorrow.

And…bam…just like that I am back amongst the living. Feel fabulous today. Even after the two days of feeling sub-par, I’ll happily get another booster if/when it’s needed again.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2022 on: November 02, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
Pfizer vaccine was approved for ages 5-11. The whole family will be fully vaccinated before Christmas!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2023 on: November 03, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
I was so excited for that news!

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2024 on: November 03, 2021, 07:05:16 AM »
Got my 8 year old scheduled for November 20!  It's not quite being vaccinated for the Thanksgiving gathering, but it's better than nothing.

Now they just need to get one approved for my 4 year old.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2025 on: November 03, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Need to start the fight to find vaccine appointments for my two kids in that group.  Been waiting with bated breath for what feels like forever to get these done.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2026 on: November 03, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »
Walgreens had tons of appointments at the store closest to me, starting today. Getting both kids vax'ed on Saturday, plus booster shots for Mrs. JingaNation and myself.

(And then we walk over to Publix and get our flu shots, and each gets a $10 gift card.)

fixie

• Stubble
« Reply #2027 on: November 03, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
Walgreens had tons of appointments at the store closest to me, starting today. Getting both kids vax'ed on Saturday, plus booster shots for Mrs. JingaNation and myself.

(And then we walk over to Publix and get our flu shots, and each gets a $10 gift card.)

wow, just wow.

fixie

• Stubble
« Reply #2028 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »

Can't wait for the booster mandates, forever.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2029 on: November 03, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
I have a kid who turns 12 tomorrow and to celebrate he’s getting his first vaccination. He’s excited to be fully vaxxed in five weeks time so that he doesn’t have to quarantine if he has a close contact at school. It will be such a relief once everyone in our household is fully vaxxed!

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2030 on: November 03, 2021, 12:32:10 PM »

I think you might be getting excited about a nonexistent issue.  Generally those who are already vaccinated are pretty excited about getting boosters, but no one has mandated them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2031 on: November 03, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »

wow, just wow.
Right?  It's super exciting for those of us who haven't seen our families in two years.  My in-laws are elderly (and on the opposite coast).  My stepfather is an elderly diabetic cancer patient (multiple myeloma).  It's just been far too risky to our family members to get on a plane amongst the masses when the youngest child isn't yet vaccinated.

We feel like we've been waiting forever for this approval.  Our youngest is scheduled for his first dose before Thanksgiving, and he'll be fully vaxxed and past 2 weeks before we get on a plane for Christmas.

I plan on getting my booster over Thanksgiving.

(We've all already had our flu shots).

Bring on the holiday hugs!!

---------
Next up, eventually: shingles vaccine.  Sigh.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2032 on: November 03, 2021, 03:50:58 PM »

I mean if that is what is needed to slow needless loss of life, then hell yeah. I’m not sure if you already knew this or not, but I’m the wrong audience for this lemon sucking.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2033 on: November 03, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
Based on what the Costco pharmacy told me last week I walked in today at 11 am and got the last extra Moderna, total took about 30 minutes. I went to work carpentering which generally involves much arm movement ;-), haven't felt a thing. We're headed for family T=giving for the first time in two years, can't wait!

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #2034 on: November 03, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
Well my first two were uneventful, but I regret to report that I had a really severe reaction to my Pfizer booster two weeks ago, featuring the sudden onset of really bad tinnitus. I finally got to see the ENT yesterday and he said he’s seen a number of people with vaccine-induced hearing loss and tinnitus. He’s had two patients with total sudden hearing loss after the vaccine, one 30yo and the other 52yo. If I had gotten in right away he could have given me prednisone but at two weeks it’s too late. If this happens to you, don’t wait to be seen! For me now it’s just a matter of waiting to see if it will resolve on its own. Very distressing. I assume that if I hadn’t been vaccinated I would have gotten Covid and gotten tinnitus from that, so I don’t regret getting it, but I sure wish I had gotten to the ENT sooner.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2035 on: November 04, 2021, 07:24:05 AM »

Do you hate the mandate and booster mandates for DTap, TDap, polio, MMR, Hepatitis B, and varicella?  Or is strictly covid you want people to needlessly die of?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2036 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »
I tried to sign my kid up to get his shot Sunday, but my husband balked due to the heart infection risk in boys.  We've agreed to wait two weeks.  I don't think that two weeks is going to make a difference one way or another. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2037 on: November 04, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »
Direct husband to heart infection risk from COVID-19. And the vaccine-induced myocarditis had been significantly milder than the usual myocarditis.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2038 on: November 04, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
I tried to sign my kid up to get his shot Sunday, but my husband balked due to the heart infection risk in boys.  We've agreed to wait two weeks.  I don't think that two weeks is going to make a difference one way or another.

Oof, that's frustrating. Is he aware that the child dose is only a third of the adult Pfizer dose? 10 mcg compared to 30. And it's a tenth of the adult Moderna dose, which is 100 mcg, which so many millions have had safely.

I guess it's reasonable to wait two weeks if a million kids get vaccinated and you want to know if any have bad side effects. If the side effect is too rare to show up in the clinical trial it will show up in the first month of real world vaccinations when millions get it instead of 30,000 (or whatever the numbers are). In this case millions/billions have had a full dose already so it's a lot less unknown, and they had no myocarditis cases in the trial so if it happens with this dose it will be rare.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2039 on: November 04, 2021, 12:05:22 PM »
Direct husband to heart infection risk from COVID-19. And the vaccine-induced myocarditis had been significantly milder than the usual myocarditis.

Plus the myocarditis cases have been more common (albeit still incredibly rare) in young men in their late teens and early twenties. Far less incidence in the 12-15 cohort. That plus the reduced dose for 11 and under makes vaccinating a no brainer to me.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2040 on: November 04, 2021, 12:06:37 PM »

Oof, that's frustrating. Is he aware that the child dose is only a third of the adult Pfizer dose? 10 mcg compared to 30. And it's a tenth of the adult Moderna dose, which is 100 mcg, which so many millions have had safely.

I guess it's reasonable to wait two weeks if a million kids get vaccinated and you want to know if any have bad side effects. If the side effect is too rare to show up in the clinical trial it will show up in the first month of real world vaccinations when millions get it instead of 30,000 (or whatever the numbers are). In this case millions/billions have had a full dose already so it's a lot less unknown, and they had no myocarditis cases in the trial so if it happens with this dose it will be rare.

My husband has the same objection.  I've told him these things, but he still "feels uncomfortable being in the first wave".  I'm going to keep trying.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2041 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »

My husband has the same objection.  I've told him these things, but he still "feels uncomfortable being in the first wave".  I'm going to keep trying.

How likely to contract covid is your child at the moment?

A kid who is attending school remotely, not going on play dates with other kids, generally staying at home can afford to wait longer to be vaccinated.  A kid who is at school in person, going to extra-curricular sports, playing with friends on a regular basis should probably be vaccinated as soon as possible.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2042 on: November 04, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
I'm thinking early December would be good for my six year old as it should provide significant immunity by the Christmas travel season while also giving a bit of time to see if things show up among a larger test population.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2043 on: November 04, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »

A kid who is attending school remotely, not going on play dates with other kids, generally staying at home can afford to wait longer to be vaccinated.  A kid who is at school in person, going to extra-curricular sports, playing with friends on a regular basis should probably be vaccinated as soon as possible.

He's at public school kindergarten, but doesn't do sports or hang out with other kids outside of school too much.  Luckily his school at least requires masks, and the vaccination rates in our county are at 70% for everyone over 12 yo. 

His sister is in daycare with a bunch of other kids under 5 years old.  The teachers wear masks, and they've only had one official outbreak at the facility, but still.  My dad is 73 and a cancer survivor, too.  I'd prefer more protection rather than less. 

My husband isn't anti-science or anti-vaccination, I think he'll come around soon (or we'll have some issues).  I can't rely on my kid to help convince him, he hates vaccines and would avoid all shots if possible, haha.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2044 on: November 04, 2021, 12:54:58 PM »
I'm thinking early December would be good for my six year old as it should provide significant immunity by the Christmas travel season while also giving a bit of time to see if things show up among a larger test population.

December for second dose? Full protection doesn’t happen until 2 weeks after second dose (so roughly 5 weeks after first dose)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2045 on: November 04, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »

He's at public school kindergarten, but doesn't do sports or hang out with other kids outside of school too much.  Luckily his school at least requires masks, and the vaccination rates in our county are at 70% for everyone over 12 yo. 

His sister is in daycare with a bunch of other kids under 5 years old.  The teachers wear masks, and they've only had one official outbreak at the facility, but still.  My dad is 73 and a cancer survivor, too.  I'd prefer more protection rather than less. 

My husband isn't anti-science or anti-vaccination, I think he'll come around soon (or we'll have some issues).  I can't rely on my kid to help convince him, he hates vaccines and would avoid all shots if possible, haha.

Luckily, my kid is ready and excited about getting it.  I may or may not be the mean mommy who showed him a picture of a kid with a bad case of measles when he first asked why he had to get shots.  And we just finished reading a book about Jonas Salk.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2046 on: November 04, 2021, 12:59:02 PM »
I have scheduled my booster: a Pfizer to back up my original J&J. DH isn't eligible for a couple of more weeks, but we will be travelling to see family, a mixed bag from masks are equivalent to the holocaust to an aunt on simultaneous radio and chemo. Might try to convince him to go while we are travelling, especially since he didn't have any reaction to his first two. We also have our flu shots and I just got a TDAP. He isn't at risk, but he tends to catch things easier than I do, then I get them from him only 3x as bad :(

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2047 on: November 04, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
I just scheduled my booster -- Moderna on top of my original Pfizers.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2048 on: November 04, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »
DW just got off the phone with DSIL, MD about timing for our kids’ vaccines. Early next week!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2049 on: November 04, 2021, 02:54:54 PM »
BOOSTED! 

Given that I was 7 months out since original vaccination, have constant autoimmune issues, and the recent horrific delta surge in my city, I had been foregoing swimming since the outdoor pool closed 3 weeks ago. I'm very excited to get back in the (indoor) pool next week!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!