Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 229577 times)

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
There are preliminary signs that this variant's surge will be shorter than prior ones in some areas since it is so transmissible (causing a rapid spread into the unvaccinated community) and a large proportion are vaccinated (reducing subsequent spread). In Houston (60% of adults fully vaccinated), for example, the effective R has dropped to about 1 in 4 weeks (it was as high as ~3). We are now down to a linear increase in hospitalizations; at least it isn't exponential anymore. Also, a lot of those patients are from surrounding counties with lower vaccination rates.

Great!  This is what I was hoping for.   Figuring on it tapering off in the south sometime in September.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
I received a monoclonal antibody infusion (Regeneron) this week.

Thanks for updating us on that - I was literally talking to some friends an hour ago about Greg Abbott testing positive and immediately getting treated with monoclonal antibodies in spite of having no symptoms, and I was all pissed off remembering you being in limbo about whether you'd be able to get it. I'm glad you did and are feeling better.

Thanks for the kind words. There was a bit of a surge of infections in my local area the past two weeks (like a lot of places.) So, when my doctor ordered it and I then got another email from the health system administration saying "supply is limited, we will contact you again within three days" I was super annoyed. I did receive it when they got their next shipment four days after my doctor ordered it, which luckily was still barely within the time window when they will give it to you . . . although I'm sure they will violate that time window for important enough people.

It should surprise no one that Greg Abbot received it immediately even though he is asymptomatic. I'm sure the same is true for Lindsey Graham and just about every other high profile politician who has contracted it in the past 6 months. The reason these guys can mentally support some horrible policies is that they are confident those policies will not affect them personally in a negative way. They are completely insulated from consequences by wealth and power. It's not that different from when Ted Cruz flew to Cancun in the midst of that polar vortex emergency . . . even with a catastrophic power outage that affects everyone in their communities, these guys will insist on being kept warm and they are able to just head out to a safer place.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
My employer and my DH's employer have both recently announced a mandatory vaccination policy - mine has given just enough lead time for someone to go get the first dose this week, in order to be in compliance when the policy goes into effect.  There will be some mechanism for exemptions, but anyone with an exemption will have to show regular negative test results in order to be allowed onsite, in addition to the self-reported health checks and masking that are currently required.

Glad to see this starting to happen.  Anyone else seeing employers requiring proof of vaccination?

At this point, I don't think I personally know anyone who isn't vaccinated (other than young children), but it will be a relief to know everyone I might encounter at work is, too.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
rockstache,

There are definitely some people that got the shot in a neighboring state too, sometimes by fudging their address to qualify. On balance it probably washes out but these stats aren't perfect.

I got my first in a neighboring state and second in my home state. The neighboring state opened it up to me first and I noticed in rural areas there were several appointments open so I went. I told them exactly where I lived and they had no problem with giving it to me. Like rockstache I still get calls and emails saying I need my second shot because my state thinks my second shot was my first shot.

So in my case if "proof of vaccination" is required to go somewhere and the paper card isn't enough I guess I'm shit out of luck.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Glad to see this starting to happen.  Anyone else seeing employers requiring proof of vaccination?

I know quite a few people who work at places that require proof of vaccination.

Heh, this came up in conversation yesterday with my father -- he definitely thinks the J&J vaccine is a standard viral vaccine and nothing experimental compared to Moderna/Pfizer vaccines.

Yeah, people unfortunately think a lot of things that aren't true, for better or worse :-)  I am personally way more creeped out by the concept of viral vector vaccines than I am by mRNA vaccines and I'm surprised you don't hear more about that from people. I wonder if it's just because people have no clue how any of it works. Millions of people with all these insane conspiracy theories which are totally untrue, but I haven't heard a peep from anyone about being injected with a chimpanzee virus. I mean, they tested it, and it's safe, but surely the sort of people who think Bill Gates wants to inject them with so-called "experimental gene therapy" would be weirded out by that?

I was telling someone yesterday about how my immune deficiency works (as an explanation of why I basically disappeared from public life all summer) - the explanation basically being "my body lacks the gene to make a certain type of antibody, so no matter how much vaccine I get, I still won't have that antibody." And he said "oh, but isn't that the thing about those mRNA vaccines? They give you the genes to make the antibodies even if you don't have them!" No, no they do not. I sure wish they did!

I get it, though, this stuff is pretty complicated and most of us never had to know anything about it before now.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
Interesting article on this topic...esp. the collection of charts showing trends of hesitancy.  Looking at percentages in this study, PHD educated individuals are the most reluctant to get vaccinated.  This probably represents a very small portion of the total number of the vaccine-hesitant, but it is a surprising statistic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/americans-with-phds-are-most-reluctant-to-get-vaccinated-against-covid/ar-AANjRHh?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531#image=10

So weird. I have a PhD, as do several of my friends, and we all signed up as soon as we were eligible. Of course, our degrees are in the biomedical sciences (mostly immunology)…

I don't have a PhD, but most of the people that I know that do have one got it in either biomedical stuff or computer science. I think that the first group is very good at biomedical stuff and the second group is super good at probability. They all got vaccinated.

However, PhDs seem to know exactly how much they don't know. They know that they studied their whole life to know a tiny fraction of human knowledge. It doesn't surprise me that some of them would be afraid of what we don't know about these very quickly developed vaccines.

Isn't it possible that a good proportion of people who said they had a PhD didn't actually have one? Given it's based off of proportions and only 10k surveyed endorsed having a PhD. If we assume that an equal number of people lied about their degree status in every given category the impact of proportion who agreed with a statement would be most seen in the group with the smallest total N. Just a simple mathematical example. If we assume that .1% of people lied about their degree status that would be ~5k individuals. If we then assume it was equally distributed across all groups (it's more likely you lied up and not down) that would mean that roughly 835 individuals in the PhD group lied about their degree or ~ 10% of that entire group. If the majority of people that lied about having a PhD also said they were vaccine hesitant that could alone describe what we are seeing in the data.

I have a PhD, I mostly work and hang out with PhDs. I think I only know 1 PhD person that may not have gotten the vaccine.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
There are preliminary signs that this variant's surge will be shorter than prior ones in some areas since it is so transmissible (causing a rapid spread into the unvaccinated community) and a large proportion are vaccinated (reducing subsequent spread). In Houston (60% of adults fully vaccinated), for example, the effective R has dropped to about 1 in 4 weeks (it was as high as ~3). We are now down to a linear increase in hospitalizations; at least it isn't exponential anymore. Also, a lot of those patients are from surrounding counties with lower vaccination rates.

I've been pinning hopes on a shorter surge this time, so I am really hoping this trend holds and we are out of it by the time cold weather starts.  We've been in more exponential growth in cases locally for the past couple weeks, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Zamboni, I am so happy to hear that you got your treatment!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
 Knocked on your ass for a week is considered a mild case.

Moderate means you are on oxygen at home or in the hospital on a regular floor, not intubated.

We have had many breakthrough cases in my area, and a few are that moderate/hospitalized level. Our ICUs aren't full though. We are back to mask mandates, even for vaccinated people. Grr.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
BOOSTERS!!!

I am pro-vax, got both of mine as soon as I could get them but this talk of boosters this quick for everybody is so discouraging.  I guess if 2 is good, one more must be better? 

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
I'm fine with getting a third shot if scientists think it'll help. Covid vaccines are available for free at a pharmacy just a short walk from our house, so, why not?

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
I just hope the vaccine provides a similar level of protection against future variants....

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
I think it will be similar to the flu, where you just need a new one every year. We didn't have enough vaccine uptake to get herd immunity so the virus had opportunity to mutate, and now the vaccine is less effective against the newer strains. It is still quite effective against severe illness and death, and makes contracting and spreading the virus less likely. A 75% effective vaccine is still a win, provided that you get enough people to take it.

Where my dad lives they are doing boosters already, but I don't think they have modified the vaccine yet, to be more effective against delta. I think here they are now recommending it 8 months after the first series (someone fact check me on that)? My mom was one of the first to get the vaccine so she should be due soon.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
The U.S. Surgeon General put up a long post on Facebook about boosters. Yes, it’s 8 months. I would expect you can find in on the website as well.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
I’m right at the 8 month mark myself, so I guess I’ll have my booster soon.

As far as employer mandated vaccinations, both of mine require Covid vaccine or a religious or medical exemption form, which isn’t hard to get since lots of religious leaders have been behaving unscrupulously with regard to covid in general. I am also required to show proof (via record or titre) of several other vaccines. It’s a condition of employment, always has been one for me, I’m not getting my drawers in a wad over one more.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
As far as employer mandated vaccinations, both of mine require Covid vaccine or a religious or medical exemption form, which isn’t hard to get since lots of religious leaders have been behaving unscrupulously with regard to covid in general. I am also required to show proof (via record or titre) of several other vaccines. It’s a condition of employment, always has been one for me, I’m not getting my drawers in a wad over one more.

On that note, I was quite pleased to hear on the radio this morning that the archdiocese in my area has instructed priests not to assist with parishioners requests for religious exemptions for mandatory vaccinations.  This is apparently in line with the Pope's stance as well.  Good for them!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

On that note, I was quite pleased to hear on the radio this morning that the archdiocese in my area has instructed priests not to assist with parishioners requests for religious exemptions for mandatory vaccinations.  This is apparently in line with the Pope's stance as well.  Good for them!

I'm no longer a church member or believer, but I am very grateful that this Pope is a Jesuit.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
@Raenia our local bishop officially told people it was okay to get j&j (produced with abortion-derived cells) because the greater good warranted it. Even the big Papa Frankie has said getting a vaccine is the right thing to do.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
I'm no longer a church member or believer, but I am very grateful that this Pope is a Jesuit.

He's the best Pope an atheist can hope for!

A fair share of Catholics downright hate him, though. Was it a thing before? I don't recall it to be.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
The J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines are viral vector vaccines, which are also a brand new technology.

Not that it has any practical implications in the first world, but what technology do Cinovax and Sputnik use?

Rusted Rose

• Stubble

A fair share of Catholics downright hate him, though. Was it a thing before? I don't recall it to be.

I don't know, but tough beans! Since they agreed a priori that the policies preached by a specific old guy in Italy are "infallible," they don't get to complain.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
I don't know, but tough beans! Since they agreed a priori that the policies preached by a specific old guy in Italy are "infallible," they don't get to complain.

If you can get your way out of "Thou shalt not murder", you can get your way out of everything. The guy I know claims he's not really a Pope, since a Pope is supposed to be for life. So the whole stepping down thing is illegal, and the subsequent election is illegal, too. Checkmate!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
DH and I got the J&J in March, and they haven't approved an additional shot for us, no matter how many headlines I see that mention booster shots for "everyone". 

More data expected "soon".

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
I think they are being patient with J&J data since, if you need 8 month boosters, the earliest that would be is November. J&J was approved much later than the other two vaccines we have in the US (the last few days of February - it sticks in my mind because it was the same week I got my first dose of Moderna). It's probably just coming down to whether they want to give you a booster of a second J&J dose or a mRNA dose.

A little more problematic for people who are immunocompromised and got J&J, though...

The J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines are viral vector vaccines, which are also a brand new technology.

Not that it has any practical implications in the first world, but what technology do Cinovax and Sputnik use?

Cinovax... do you mean Sinovac, maybe? Sinovac is made from inactivated virus. Very old school tech.

Sputnik V is another viral vector vaccine made from adenovirus, just like J&J and AstraZeneca.

The New York Times has a very cool vaccine tracker that has all the vaccines from around the world and talks about their technology and what stage they are in (approval, trials, etc.) including some that didn't succeed. Here's a non-paywalled link if anyone is interested: Vaccine Tracker

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

They hate/distrust Jesuits in general and anyone who tells them that yes, they are bound to the entire catechism, even the parts that they don't like.

I grew up very Catholic. the kids in the uber-conservative charismatic cult group at my parish weren't even allowed to consider attending Jesuit universities because they were too liberal.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

If you can get your way out of "Thou shalt not murder", you can get your way out of everything. The guy I know claims he's not really a Pope, since a Pope is supposed to be for life. So the whole stepping down thing is illegal, and the subsequent election is illegal, too. Checkmate!

Yep, I've heard that one.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache

Hopefully you're right. This wave rose so much quicker than any previous bump. We're right at 33% covid+ patients in our hospital of about 200 beds in DFW. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
I’m right at the 8 month mark myself, so I guess I’ll have my booster soon.

I had to get my flu vaccine every year just to be the human half of a therapy dog team.  We visited seniors' residences, so it made perfect sense to me.  Missy also had to have all her vaccines.  I had to provide copies for both of us to our coordinator.  And this was much less major than a workplace, we were there one hour a week and in contact with any one person for only a few minutes.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
At least 4 US Senators have confirmed breakthrough infections this week alone. So 4%.

All were vaccinated. If we assume that they were among the first wave of vaccinations, and that their immunity is waning due to time, then it won't be long before everyone needs boosters. I'm guessing this is part of where the "8 months" thing is coming from.

Does anyone know how long the wait time is after having a positive test for the infection to being allowed to vaccinate? Inquiring minds want to know.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
At least 4 US Senators have confirmed breakthrough infections this week alone. So 4%.

All were vaccinated. If we assume that they were among the first wave of vaccinations, and that their immunity is waning due to time, then it won't be long before everyone needs boosters. I'm guessing this is part of where the "8 months" thing is coming from.

Does anyone know how long the wait time is after having a positive test for the infection to being allowed to vaccinate? Inquiring minds want to know.

I've seen discussion that some of the waning immunity may be due to the short time period between the first and second vaccine. The UK had a much longer gap (mostly but not all Astra-Zeneca) and to a lesser extent so did Canada (mostly Pfizer, then Moderna, then AZ).  It will be interesting to see if the longer gap has led to better immunity. I hope it does, because mine were 9 weeks apart.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache

Assuming you didn’t get monoclonal antibodies, then you can vax as soon as you are out of quarantine. If you got the monoclonal antibody treatment, you have to wait 90 days.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Ok, thank you for this information. I'm already vaxed, but will get a booster when it is medically advisable.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache

My SIL and her family are of the "Vatican II was a betrayal" mindset. She tells me they don't believe this Pope is a "real" Pope, because he's a Communist.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache

Assuming you didn’t get monoclonal antibodies, then you can vax as soon as you are out of quarantine. If you got the monoclonal antibody treatment, you have to wait 90 days.

Thank you.  I finally understand why I have heard both timeframes.

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure

Here it wasn't as scientific as what MudPuppy describes, it was first just "6 months after the positive test of the beginning of the symptoms", and now it's simply "2 months after...".

Regarding the pope: Would it help if they rolled out Ratzinger to say the same thing that the current pope has said? Or is he in on the scam and not to be trusted since he was the one stepping down?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

Here it wasn't as scientific as what MudPuppy describes, it was first just "6 months after the positive test of the beginning of the symptoms", and now it's simply "2 months after...".

Regarding the pope: Would it help if they rolled out Ratzinger to say the same thing that the current pope has said? Or is he in on the scam and not to be trusted since he was the one stepping down?

If they're Cafeteria Catholics (term for those who pick and choose which parts of the Catechism to follow/ignore) of the "Vatican II was a betrayal" mindset, then according to them, the church hasn't had a real pope since Pius XII in the 1950s.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Back to the triage treatment scenario:
Smoking is not contagious.  Obesity is not contagious.  The medical effects of that on your body do not affect me. 

However, your (generic you) decision to not get vaccinated does directly affect me, my family, my community, and my potential access to emergency health care.  That's a fact being demonstrated around the U.S. most especially in the states with low vaccination rates. 

I can't recall if this was mentioned already, but there was a medical ethicist interviewed on National Public Radio who discussed making the un-vaccinated pay for their care.  I believe the current cost is something around $500,000 per person.   Even if you have health insurance, some portion of that is being paid for by taxpayers.  Should taxpayers subsidize willful ignorance and stubbornness?  Or should we insist that un-vaccinated people accept the consequences of their actions and give them palliative care only? 
Maybe that will give these anti-vaxxers enough motive to reconsider their stance.

Rusted Rose

• Stubble
Should taxpayers subsidize

In their view, taxpayers shouldn't subsidize anything. It's ComMuNizzM!

So, yes, make them pay directly. Show them what their ideal world looks like, I say.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
In that case, either poor people die because they don't have enough money for the treatment they need, or the treatment is given and the state bears the cost anyway.  Which one is the scenario you're advocating for?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Floriduh:
  • don't get that Gubmint recommended vaccination, DC is stopping our freedumbz, how will the kids think with the masks on, etc.
  • if you get the COVID, get the Regeneron recommended by DeSantis
So much stupid here, it is beyond cringey.
Glad my school district gave a FU to DeSantis and imposed a 30-day mandatory mask order (with medical exemptions - let's see the stupidity that comes from doctors who sign off non-legitimate requests).

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
In that case, either poor people die because they don't have enough money for the treatment they need, or the treatment is given and the state bears the cost anyway.  Which one is the scenario you're advocating for?

Right now the vaccine is free for everyone - poor, middle-class, and rich - and is widely available in the U.S.  So I'm referring to the specific instance of getting vaccinated (if medically possible) or not getting vaccinated. 

Don't wanna get vaccinated just because?  Fine, if you get Covid you should not expect all available medical resources to come to your rescue.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

Right now, hospitals in several areas can't treat patients because they are overloaded with COVID patients who chose not to be vaccinated. Wealthy people in those areas have the means to go elsewhere. Poor people do not. What do you suggest?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian

Right now, hospitals in several areas can't treat patients because they are overloaded with COVID patients who chose not to be vaccinated. Wealthy people in those areas have the means to go elsewhere. Poor people do not. What do you suggest?

The frustration about people who won't vaccinate is understandable, and certainly something I share.  But have to suggest that people who don't get the covid vaccine be treated the same way that other people who make choices that get them into the ER be treated.  They are triaged with everyone else.

This is what we do with people who eat too much and become obese.  This is what we do with people who smoke and get lung cancer.  This is what we do with people who play football and get head injuries.  This is what we do with people who drink too much and get into car accidents.  This is what we do with hikers who get lost in the woods and are found in trouble from exposure.

We don't say:
- Don't wanna die?  Don't eat so much, fattie!
- Don't wanna die?  Don't smoke, loser!
- Don't wanna die?  Don't play sports, meathead!
- Don't wanna die?  Don't drink alcohol, lush!
- Don't wanna die?  Don't hike you damned hippie!

Medical treatment is not something that you revoke because you disagree with a person's choices in life.  Because it's probably possible to find some reason to revoke medical treatment for anyone.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Out of fat people, smokers, athletes, alcoholics, hikers, and anti-vaxxers, only one is over running medical capacity resulting in unnecessary excess deaths.   

You need to differentiate between emergency medical treatment and medical treatment.  People are denied medical treatment all the time because of their choices, specifically anti-vaxxers.  All of the pediatricians we interviewed will not treat anti-vax families or even allow them into their facility.  You make the choice to not vaccinate your kids and you don't get medical treatment from them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian

There is option C - give them the treatment they need and make them pay for it themselves.   Yes, this will end up with an increase in homelessness and people declaring bankruptcy.  Wage garnishment, etc.

It's not either/or - there is a middle ground here, depending on the individual circumstance.

(I just wish we had national health care, but that's socialism.)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache

My SIL and her family are of the "Vatican II was a betrayal" mindset. She tells me they don't believe this Pope is a "real" Pope, because he's a Communist.

Will the real Pope please stand up?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

Will the real Pope please stand up?

fi35er

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
As someone living in a country that is not wealthy but still is an absolute mind fuck because of the unfathomable inequalities and gross wealth gap. I think last stat is that our gini co-efficent is the largest in the world. This thread or any on Covid 19 is just so frustrating. I am from South Africa.

Vaccine registration for my age cohort (18-34) was only approved on Thursday this week. To speed things up walk in registrations were also approved so essentially I was only eligible to get vaccinated on Friday. I only found out yesterday because I happened to catch it on the news. So I will go and vaccinate on Monday as a walk in.

It is also so bizarre and frankly frightening that countries such as mine are being given the J&J vaccine from wealthy countries as donations when they themselves are no longer giving it to their citizens.

And booster shots/third shots when people like me haven't even gotten a first shot as well as many in countries probably in a worse  state than South Africa.

Yeah this pandemic was a serious wake up call for me about the stark realities and truths about the world we live in. Poor and middle income countries always end up bearing the brunt for the fuck ups of the elites.

No energy to hate on those who don't want vaccination as SA has plenty of those as well.

The only good to come out of all this is a confirmation to really drill down on mustachian principles. And then in terms of South Africa, to become as independent of the government as much as possible. But that is our own internal political situation that drives this for me.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
As someone living in a country that is not wealthy but still is an absolute mind fuck because of the unfathomable inequalities and gross wealth gap. I think last stat is that our gini co-efficent is the largest in the world. This thread or any on Covid 19 is just so frustrating. I am from South Africa.

Vaccine registration for my age cohort (18-34) was only approved on Thursday this week. To speed things up walk in registrations were also approved so essentially I was only eligible to get vaccinated on Friday. I only found out yesterday because I happened to catch it on the news. So I will go and vaccinate on Monday as a walk in.

It is also so bizarre and frankly frightening that countries such as mine are being given the J&J vaccine from wealthy countries as donations when they themselves are no longer giving it to their citizens.

And booster shots/third shots when people like me haven't even gotten a first shot as well as many in countries probably in a worse  state than South Africa.

Yeah this pandemic was a serious wake up call for me about the stark realities and truths about the world we live in. Poor and middle income countries always end up bearing the brunt for the fuck ups of the elites.

No energy to hate on those who don't want vaccination as SA has plenty of those as well.

The only good to come out of all this is a confirmation to really drill down on mustachian principles. And then in terms of South Africa, to become as independent of the government as much as possible. But that is our own internal political situation that drives this for me.

How about poor and middle income countries are rescued by the elite countries.  There would be no vaccines period if it wasn't for the developed countries. No country is obligated to do anything for another country.  You should be grateful for any handouts.

Regarding not being dependent on your government,  I whole heartily agree.  That goes for everyone from every country.

former player

• Walrus Stache

How about poor and middle income countries are rescued by the elite countries.  There would be no vaccines period if it wasn't for the developed countries. No country is obligated to do anything for another country.  You should be grateful for any handouts.

Elite??? Grateful??? Handouts???  Do you have no idea how fucked up the treatment by your so-called "elite" countries of the rest of the world has been and still is?  That is one of the most offensive paragraphs I've read in a long time.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
You know that meme template where the guy shoots the guy sitting in the chair and then the next panel looks at the panel and asks “why would [insert group/person] do that?”  We create or exacerbate a lot of the issues in the “non-elite” countries.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!