Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 230427 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
I am now past the 2 week second shot period, good to go! :D

Congrats!  I was tracking the progress with vaccine all last year, and so it feels so weird in a good way that it's finally reality.  I had my first shot a few weeks ago and was just sitting there thinking about how it was something I'd been anticipating for a really long year. 

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
My sister in Europe is finally getting hers Monday, and another younger niece and nephew who just became eligible are getting their first shots next week too.
Europe is finally catching up - and pretty fast now. We (Norway) are scheduled to pass the US early July by the look of things now. This is despite us not using the AZ and J&J jabs as opposed to most of Europe. The start has been much slower but we are likely to end up with a significantly higher proportion of the (adult) population vaccinated as take-down is much higher. So far, in the capital, depending on part of the city between 95 and 99% have taken the offer to get jabbed.
Stellar.  So pleased to hear. Canada is also enroute to overtaking the US after a slow start from low supply. I don't think we'll reach 95% anywhere, unfortunately. The most vaccinated age group is 80+, and they still were only at 80%.

The culture here is more influenced by the US, unfortunately, and we lack the high social agreement of nordic countries.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
My sister in Europe is finally getting hers Monday, and another younger niece and nephew who just became eligible are getting their first shots next week too.
Europe is finally catching up - and pretty fast now. We (Norway) are scheduled to pass the US early July by the look of things now. This is despite us not using the AZ and J&J jabs as opposed to most of Europe. The start has been much slower but we are likely to end up with a significantly higher proportion of the (adult) population vaccinated as take-down is much higher. So far, in the capital, depending on part of the city between 95 and 99% have taken the offer to get jabbed.
Stellar.  So pleased to hear. Canada is also enroute to overtaking the US after a slow start from low supply. I don't think we'll reach 95% anywhere, unfortunately. The most vaccinated age group is 80+, and they still were only at 80%.

The culture here is more influenced by the US, unfortunately, and we lack the high social agreement of nordic countries.

We've been doing well so far, so I've got high hopes.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Got round 2 yesterday, ache like I got runover by a dump truck today.  Excited to be done... e-mail at work just came out that starting 5/25 masks will no longer be required for vaccinated individuals.  I'll have to wait until after Memorial Day, but it's all good!

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
I got Pfizer round 2 yesterday. Slightly sore arm like the first one. No other effects. I was amazed at how quickly they administer the shots. Probably a person per minute x 8 lanes. The sheer volume of shots makes me wonder what happens with all the used needles.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Got round 2 yesterday, ache like I got runover by a dump truck today.  Excited to be done... e-mail at work just came out that starting 5/25 masks will no longer be required for vaccinated individuals.  I'll have to wait until after Memorial Day, but it's all good!

Moderna? You feel like garbage but it’s over within 48 hours (at least that was our experience). Congrats!

I am now through the 2-week period and am considered fully vaccinated! I might take a book to a coffee shop tomorrow or Friday and sit inside while I sip my latte.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache

Moderna? You feel like garbage but it’s over within 48 hours (at least that was our experience). Congrats!

I am now through the 2-week period and am considered fully vaccinated! I might take a book to a coffee shop tomorrow or Friday and sit inside while I sip my latte.

Yes, Moderna.  I'm going to go to bed early tonight and hope to feel less achy in the AM.  Fortunately I did not get the nausea

dougules

• Magnum Stache
For those that had COVID, does the second shot have side effects like the first?  I'm getting my second shot of Moderna tomorrow, and based on the first shot I've been busy today making sure everything's squared away at work if I need to be out Monday. 

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
For those that had COVID, does the second shot have side effects like the first?  I'm getting my second shot of Moderna tomorrow, and based on the first shot I've been busy today making sure everything's squared away at work if I need to be out Monday.
Our friend that had covid and was in the hospital for a week had a very strong reaction to the first shot but zero reaction to the second shot other than a sore arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zygote

• Bristles

I think it just depends. For me, the second shot wasn't quite as bad as the first, but I still couldn't have worked the following day. Hopefully if you rest up Sunday you'll be good to go on Monday!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache

Our family likely all had Covid (one STILL can't smell), but no official diagnosis. Wife had "Covid arm" and felt a bit ick, but nothing really bad. I just felt a bit off after the first shot, like the start of a cold (but not a bad one). Nothing after second. Two oldest kids had their first shot, no complaints aside from a headache. Pfizer vaccine for all.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

My husband and I had no reaction to first Moderna shot except sore arm, both reacted strongly to second. I was actively ill for about 24 hours starting 12 hours after the shot. Husband was achy, brain-fogged, and exhausted for the same amount of time. My mother and both my sisters had Moderna, and 2 of the three had experiences the same as mine. One of the three had the same experience as my husband. I'd plan for a day off, if I were you.

I have a history of autoimmune issues, and I did have some weird stuff pop in the weeks after the vaccine, but I suspect it was coincidental.

Meanwhile my husband's side of the family (Trump obsessed, Covid is a hoax, vaccine deniers) decided to hold a big birthday party for a toddler, which resulted in my husband's sister and mother ending in the hospital with covid, and his father dying of it two days ago.  Very depressing, to come so far into the pandemic without anyone in our immediate circle of friends and family getting a symptomatic case, and for them having an opportunity to get vaccinated but instead actively choosing to put themselves and others at risk.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
Someone I know who's a police officer has said he's not getting the vaccine. He's never tested positive despite spending multiple 10-hours days in a patrol car with someone who was positive (and spread it to his wife) with no masks on, talking the whole time. Most likely he already caught it and had zero symptoms as it's hard to believe that environment wouldn't result in an infection. He's not wearing a mask anymore either.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache

I've had both Moderna shots. The first one had no side effects except a sore arm that lasted about 3 days.

After the second one, I had mild fatigue and body aches that lasted about 24 hours, but no chills or fever. I was also voraciously hungry for about a day. I was prepared for it to be worse, but it wasn't bad at all.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
DH got his second dose (Moderna) last Friday, and was out all Saturday with fever, aches, and chills.  Still tired on Sunday, but fever broke, and he was back to work on Monday.  Basically a worse version of what he had for his first dose.

I got my second dose (also Moderna) yesterday.  Spent most of the night and today in bed with alternating sweats and chills, but skipped the body aches.  Feeling much better now, hoping the worst is over.

That makes us the last of our close family to get fully vaccinated.  Now Mom's BF is the last holdout - he's been delaying due to some other health issues he wanted to sort out first.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache

Meanwhile my husband's side of the family (Trump obsessed, Covid is a hoax, vaccine deniers) decided to hold a big birthday party for a toddler, which resulted in my husband's sister and mother ending in the hospital with covid, and his father dying of it two days ago.  Very depressing, to come so far into the pandemic without anyone in our immediate circle of friends and family getting a symptomatic case, and for them having an opportunity to get vaccinated but instead actively choosing to put themselves and others at risk.

Wow!  That's awful.  I hope it changes some minds on that side.

elaine amj

• CM*TO 2024 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

My husband and I had no reaction to first Moderna shot except sore arm, both reacted strongly to second. I was actively ill for about 24 hours starting 12 hours after the shot. Husband was achy, brain-fogged, and exhausted for the same amount of time. My mother and both my sisters had Moderna, and 2 of the three had experiences the same as mine. One of the three had the same experience as my husband. I'd plan for a day off, if I were you.

I have a history of autoimmune issues, and I did have some weird stuff pop in the weeks after the vaccine, but I suspect it was coincidental.

So sad :(

I read out your story to my vaccine-hesitant husband (who did end up getting the shot) and now he wants to tell other ppl about it. He's starting to turn into my vaccune champion lol.

I strategically read out these types of stories at various points and it has really helped reduce my husband's hesitancy. (He had also wondered if covid was a hoax a while back).

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

So sad :(

I read out your story to my vaccine-hesitant husband (who did end up getting the shot) and now he wants to tell other ppl about it. He's starting to turn into my vaccune champion lol.

I strategically read out these types of stories at various points and it has really helped reduce my husband's hesitancy. (He had also wondered if covid was a hoax a while back).

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

As my husband said, hopefully his family's willfully self-destructive stubbornness can at the very least help others learn something.  They were incredibly lucky to not be infected earlier in the pandemic, when the treatments weren't as effective. In which case it's possible all three would be dead, instead of just one.  I expect we will hear of more people sickened by that birthday party gathering next time he checks in with his mother later this week.

dougules

• Magnum Stache

Well, the reaction to the second shot wasn't fun.  Yesterday I woke up at 2AM unable to get warm with 3 blankets and a heated mattress pad.  I was super dizzy with a bad headache, too.  I started to feel better after lunch, but then later went into another spell of the chills and fever.  I'm good enough to be back at work today, but still not quite 100%. 

I'm so sorry about your in-laws.  How is your husband holding up?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache

Well, the reaction to the second shot wasn't fun.  Yesterday I woke up at 2AM unable to get warm with 3 blankets and a heated mattress pad.  I was super dizzy with a bad headache, too.  I started to feel better after lunch, but then later went into another spell of the chills and fever.  I'm good enough to be back at work today, but still not quite 100%. 

I'm so sorry about your in-laws.  How is your husband holding up?

Thank you.  He's out working in the field in a national park right now. He seems ok, but he's not super close to his family so that doesn't surprise me.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it hits him in a bit of delayed fashion, though...sometimes grief works like that.  If so, he's with close friends right now; and out in nature in a beautiful place would be a good a place to deal with that as any. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Because I’ve got my jabs I might be taking a work trip to Europe in June.  All I know was I had to tell my boss if it had them and if my Official Passport was still good (I’m a government employee, I currently have 3 valid passports).

Is the Bourne Identity included?  :-)   Just curious.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
My husband and 19yo both got J&J in the spring. After talking to a close friend who's a doctor, my husband got a Pfizer shot as a booster on June 18, and the 19yo is up next. The UK has been doing this "mix and match" approach with AZ and Pfizer, with good results.

Delta is no joke, and if I can boost my family's protection from ~60% to ~80+%, I'm gonna do it, especially since the kid is headed off to NYC for college in two months, and the husband works at a boarding school that will bring in kids from 20+ states and 15+ countries in early September.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Most of my team at work is vaccinated now. Still have one hard no, one skeptic, one pregnant and waiting, and one halfway done (1 shot/jab/poke down, 1 to go).  It’s good to see almost everyone protected. 

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
J&J seems to do the trick with the delta variety as well, albeit based on small lab studies but at least promising results (my emphasis in the snippet below)

https://www.jnj.com/positive-new-data-for-johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-on-activity-against-delta-variant-and-long-lasting-durability-of-response

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J., July 1, 2021 – Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (the Company) today announced data that demonstrated its single-shot COVID-19 vaccine generated strong, persistent activity against the rapidly spreading Delta variant and other highly prevalent SARS-CoV-2 viral variants. In addition, the data showed that the durability of the immune response lasted through at least eight months, the length of time evaluated to date. The two preprint study summaries have been submitted today to bioRxiv.

“Today’s newly announced studies reinforce the ability of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to help protect the health of people globally,” said Paul Stoffels, M.D., Vice Chairman of the Executive Committee and Chief Scientific Officer at Johnson & Johnson. “We believe that our vaccine offers durable protection against COVID-19 and elicits neutralizing activity against the Delta variant. This adds to the robust body of clinical data supporting our single-shot vaccine’s ability to protect against multiple variants of concern.”

“Current data for the eight months studied so far show that the single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine generates a strong neutralizing antibody response that does not wane; rather, we observe an improvement over time. In addition, we observe a persistent and particularly robust, durable cellular immune response,” said Mathai Mammen, M.D., Ph.D., Global Head, Janssen Research & Development, Johnson & Johnson. “With each new dataset, we build on our solid foundation of evidence that our single-shot COVID-19 vaccine plays a critical role in ending the pandemic, which continues to evolve and pose new challenges to global health.”

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Most of my team at work is vaccinated now. Still have one hard no, one skeptic, one pregnant and waiting, and one halfway done (1 shot/jab/poke down, 1 to go).  It’s good to see almost everyone protected.

Why is your pregnant coworker waiting? Here there were so many otherwise healthy pregnant women in ICU with Covid that they were moved to high priority. 

My DD got her first vaccination at about 30 weeks.  Baby is 2 weeks old, she gets her second shot next week.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
I think it’s a huge decision if you are pregnant. I didn’t even take a aspirin during my pregnancies. On the other hand pregnant women are dying of Covid. Such a difficult situation. I am all for vaccines and got mine as soon as I could.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
I think it’s a huge decision if you are pregnant. I didn’t even take a aspirin during my pregnancies. On the other hand pregnant women are dying of Covid. Such a difficult situation. I am all for vaccines and got mine as soon as I could.

There was a study that showed women who had Covid (actual disease or vaccine) had antibodies in their milk.  So the baby also gets a bit of protection.

DD was isolating like mad while pregnant but her husband had to go to work - mostly a very small group but still not zero contact.  And they lived on the outskirts of Toronto near one of the worst areas.  For them it was a clear decision.  And yes, she was being super careful about meds and alcohol and doesn't smoke.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Retired, that’s interesting about the study. Glad her and the baby are fine.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Retired, that’s interesting about the study. Glad her and the baby are fine.

Yes they are fine.  SiL got his second last Saturday and DD gets hers this Saturday.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
I live in a Trump-loving area.    Less than 30% of the people in my county and surrounding counties have received even a single covid shot yet.

People from a larger metro area an hour away drive down to my county to get their covid shots so they don't have to wait because over 70% of the locals are too damn stupid to go get it.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
I live in a Trump-loving area.    Less than 30% of the people in my county and surrounding counties have received even a single covid shot yet.

People from a larger metro area an hour away drive down to my county to get their covid shots so they don't have to wait because over 70% of the locals are too damn stupid to go get it.

I live in a similar area.  I got my shot as soon as I could (and thanks to work got to get it a couple of months earlier than I would have otherwise been eligible).  At this point, I'm more or less over it.  Now that pretty much anyone who wants it can get it, if people don't want to get it then they can suffer the consequences.  I spent a year wearing a mask without complaints to protect other people.  I stayed at home (much to the delight of my introverted little heart) and my kid has missed so much in-person school that I'm not sure his class will ever catch up.  We've done our part to protect others.  Every day I feel less and less sympathy for those who refuse to protect themselves.  I do feel bad for the people who can't get it.  I have a friend with Guillian-Barre who's been advised to wait.  I just don't know what the answer is for him. 

On the bright side, my insurance company is giving my husband and I $75 each for having had it.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache

I live in a similar area.  I got my shot as soon as I could (and thanks to work got to get it a couple of months earlier than I would have otherwise been eligible).  At this point, I'm more or less over it.  Now that pretty much anyone who wants it can get it, if people don't want to get it then they can suffer the consequences.  I spent a year wearing a mask without complaints to protect other people.  I stayed at home (much to the delight of my introverted little heart) and my kid has missed so much in-person school that I'm not sure his class will ever catch up.  We've done our part to protect others.  Every day I feel less and less sympathy for those who refuse to protect themselves.  I do feel bad for the people who can't get it.  I have a friend with Guillian-Barre who's been advised to wait.  I just don't know what the answer is for him. 

On the bright side, my insurance company is giving my husband and I $75 each for having had it.

Agree the anti-vaxxers and others who are choosing not to get vaccinated should be on their own now. For 15 months, my family and I followed all CDC recommendations to prevent the spread of Covid-19, and as soon as we became eligible, we all got vaccinated - duh! Many of the people who are refusing to get vaccinated, now, are the same ones who have refused to make any sacrifices since Covid started. They haven't been social distancing, haven't been wearing masks, haven't stopped going to parties. Sorry, but I'm done worrying about those people. If they get sick, that's on them.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache

Agree the anti-vaxxers and others who are choosing not to get vaccinated should be on their own now. For 15 months, my family and I followed all CDC recommendations to prevent the spread of Covid-19, and as soon as we became eligible, we all got vaccinated - duh! Many of the people who are refusing to get vaccinated, now, are the same ones who have refused to make any sacrifices since Covid started. They haven't been social distancing, haven't been wearing masks, haven't stopped going to parties. Sorry, but I'm done worrying about those people. If they get sick, that's on them.

I'm frankly past caring whether the covid anti-vaxxers die or not.   They don't seem to care about their health (or anyone else's), so why should I?    The political demographic of most covid anti-vaxxers has just plain wore out their welcome with me over the last 5 1/2 years of their (personal action of or full support for) over-the-top lies, gratuitous cruelty, and abuse of minorities, not to mention support for a coup that attempted to overthrow the duly elected government of the US.   

I'm not going to wish it on them but as Clarence Darrow said, "I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.”    Personally, if someone could medically get the vaccine and chose not to, and then died from covid or complications from it, we should require a bold print banner added to the obituary and the tombstone:  "This person died from Covid because they refused to get vaccinated."    Put it out there for posterity to learn from.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
I agree that people choosing not to get vaccinated should be on their own but I do still struggle with my daughter. She's 11 months old, and I know they say kids are at lower risk of complications but my pediatrician told me the under one years old category is still a bit of a risk. I suppose we're almost out of the woods in regards to that since her first birthday is right around the corner but it's still tough for me as her Mom. She's not old enough to wear a mask, so while case counts in my area remain low we've taken her a few places and opened up to more playdates with other neighbors. However, if case counts go back up I may decide to be more cautious with her again. The challenge there is many states and local health departments (including mine) aren't reporting cases on a daily basis anymore. I understand that we need to reopen for the majority. I just wish the information would continue to be provided so those of us in a different situations could make the right decision for our younger, unvaccinated children.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
It looks as if states where most people refused the vaccine are already feeling the consequences of their choices:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article252597333.html

Hospital forced to borrow ventilators as Missouri COVID hospitalizations spike

The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients jumped by nearly 27% over the Fourth of July weekend in a hard-hit area of Missouri where immunization rates are low, leading to a temporary ventilator shortfall and a public call for help from respiratory therapists.

The Delta variant, first identified in India, is spreading rapidly, straining hospitals in Springfield and raising fresh fears that the situation could soon grow worse as holiday gatherings seed fresh cases. Missouri leads the nation with the most new cases per capita in the past 14 days.

As of Monday, CoxHealth and the city’s other hospital, Mercy Springfield, were treating 213 COVID-19 patients, up from 168 on Friday. As recently as May 24, the two hospitals had just 31 patients.

...Republican Gov. Mike Parson tweeted a picture of himself at a fireworks celebration in the tourist town of Branson, a large crowd behind him. In the surrounding county, just 29.3% of residents have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine shot, state data shows. That is below the state rate of 44.7% and the national rate of 54.7% but not unlike several other southwest Missouri communities. Some have vaccination rates in the teens.

Parson last week urged people to get vaccinated. But he has consistently declined to enact restrictions to control the spread of the virus, instead asking residents to take “personal responsibility.” Missouri never had a mask mandate, and Parson signed a law last month placing limits on public health restrictions and barring governments from requiring proof of vaccination to use public facilities and transportation.

"Personal responsibility" is such a worthless crock of an excuse. Personal responsibility only works for public-health issues like smoking or overeating, where individuals are the only ones who have to live with their own decisions. It doesn't work in a pandemic where one person's irresponsible behavior endangers those who do everything right.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
A wide field

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
The European Union has just now passed the US in share of population having received at least one dose. One can relatively safely assume pretty much everyone having gotten one dose will get the second as it's still (most places) a situation of limited supply, but vaccine skepticism is starting to kick in a few places now so the pace will drop off eventually.

I got my first jab 4 weeks ago and are due for my 2nd in 8 weeks or earlier if deliveries come in higher than expected. Current estimates are >90% of the adult population will get vaccinated here. The authorities are considering vaccinating 15-18 years olds, but not until they are done with the adult population as they want more data. Some exceptions made for young individuals at high risk due to underlying conditions.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache

Why is your pregnant coworker waiting? Here there were so many otherwise healthy pregnant women in ICU with Covid that they were moved to high priority. 

My DD got her first vaccination at about 30 weeks.  Baby is 2 weeks old, she gets her second shot next week.
I know a number of RT (respiratory therapists). They commented that pregnant women are at much higher risk of complications and problems with covid,and had numbers of very sick young pregnant women. Absolutely put the fetus at risk and they had done a number of C-sections because the risk of losing the child was too high.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
I agree that people choosing not to get vaccinated should be on their own but I do still struggle with my daughter. She's 11 months old, and I know they say kids are at lower risk of complications but my pediatrician told me the under one years old category is still a bit of a risk. I suppose we're almost out of the woods in regards to that since her first birthday is right around the corner but it's still tough for me as her Mom. She's not old enough to wear a mask, so while case counts in my area remain low we've taken her a few places and opened up to more playdates with other neighbors. However, if case counts go back up I may decide to be more cautious with her again. The challenge there is many states and local health departments (including mine) aren't reporting cases on a daily basis anymore. I understand that we need to reopen for the majority. I just wish the information would continue to be provided so those of us in a different situations could make the right decision for our younger, unvaccinated children.
It is probably the MMR vaccine that creates the change in immunity at 1 yr old - babies can get very sick, and then around 1 yr, it changes. This is when the MMR vaccine is normally given, and research shows a cross-immunity with COVID, that lasts (fading slowly) several years, giving protection to children up to 12/13, so they don't get as sick.
So it isn't that they 'age out' of vulnerability, it's the MMR vaccine. Apparently regular vaccinations are down by 30%, not a good trend.

There are many articles if you google MMR covid protection. Gates Foundation is doing a big study on it right now.
I got an MMR booster in Jan when I first saw the research.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:47:37 PM by Missy B »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Do you have any links for that research?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

I know a number of RT (respiratory therapists). They commented that pregnant women are at much higher risk of complications and problems with covid,and had numbers of very sick young pregnant women. Absolutely put the fetus at risk and they had done a number of C-sections because the risk of losing the child was too high.

Yes.  An ob/gyn here in Ottawa was appalled at the number of his patients needing hospitalization.

Update DD and her husband are both fully vaccinated. Baby goes out only to doctor appointments.  Parents are both on leave, staying home.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
It is probably the MMR vaccine that creates the change in immunity at 1 yr old - babies can get very sick, and then around 1 yr, it changes. This is when the MMR vaccine is normally given, and research shows a cross-immunity with COVID, that lasts (fading slowly) several years, giving protection to children up to 12/13, so they don't get as sick.
So it isn't that they 'age out' of vulnerability, it's the MMR vaccine. Apparently regular vaccinations are down by 30%, not a good trend.

There are many articles if you google MMR covid protection. Gates Foundation is doing a big study on it right now.
I got an MMR booster in Jan when I first saw the research.

Wow this is really interesting. Thanks for sharing I'll have to do a bit more research myself but makes me feel a bit better as my daughter just got her MMR vaccine yesterday :)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache

I'm frankly past caring whether the covid anti-vaxxers die or not.   They don't seem to care about their health (or anyone else's), so why should I?    The political demographic of most covid anti-vaxxers has just plain wore out their welcome with me over the last 5 1/2 years of their (personal action of or full support for) over-the-top lies, gratuitous cruelty, and abuse of minorities, not to mention support for a coup that attempted to overthrow the duly elected government of the US.   

I'm not going to wish it on them but as Clarence Darrow said, "I have never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great satisfaction.”    Personally, if someone could medically get the vaccine and chose not to, and then died from covid or complications from it, we should require a bold print banner added to the obituary and the tombstone:  "This person died from Covid because they refused to get vaccinated."    Put it out there for posterity to learn from.

I agree. It's Darwinism in action.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
My understanding is that in the US, "everyone" who wanted a vaccine could easily have gotten one by now - is that assumption correct or are there any places of meaningful size where supply/distribution has been a meaningful problem?

former player

• Walrus Stache
My understanding is that in the US, "everyone" who wanted a vaccine could easily have gotten one by now - is that assumption correct or are there any places of meaningful size where supply/distribution has been a meaningful problem?
Access is about more than supply and distribution, it's also about information and opportunity

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
Access is about more than supply and distribution, it's also about information and opportunity

Yes, I get that. But if you made the decision to get a vaccine, is it likely you were unable to anywhere in the US? Such as difficulties in booking a slot, getting to the actual site from a remote location, inconvenient opening hours, needing a smartphone/internet which not everyone might have etcetc ?

Afaik Israel and the US are the only places where actual number of vaccines available in total has not been the main limting factor so then you end up with other reasons for people not getting the shot, predominantly not wanting to for some reason or due to more practical problems. Over here there are some stories in various countries that if you live in a rural area and don't have a car getting to the vaccination site can be quite cumbersome etc. The last mile logistics can get quite compicated in sparsly populated areas. When I booked my slot there was a question if I required transport to the vaccination site for example, I didn't need it but I assume there would be some arrangement made if I needed so.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
I would say that sounds correct for adults other than some rare corner cases.

Under 18 some kids parents are blocking them and then the under 12 population that is unable to get it still need to get the jab.

But if you are an adult and want to get the shot you have lots of options including people willing to drive you to the appointment and if home bound they are traveling to you in many places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache

At this point in the US, if you have the desire to get vaccinated as an adult, you can do so. There's really no excuse that still holds up other than not wanting to get vaccinated or not being able to due to medical reasons (i.e. compromised immune system).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache

Yes that's correct.  Anyone above age 12 can get it.  There is tons of supply all over the usa.  You've been able to walk into almost any place that administers the vaccine for months without any appointment.  There are dozens of places within walking distance of my house.  At this point anyone in the usa above age 11 that doesn't have the vaccine is by their own choice. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

Yes that's correct.  Anyone above age 12 can get it.  There is tons of supply all over the usa.  You've been able to walk into almost any place that administers the vaccine for months without any appointment.  There are dozens of places within walking distance of my house.  At this point anyone in the usa above age 11 that doesn't have the vaccine is by their own choice.

I think parents can still block their minor kids from receiving the vaccine.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!