Author Topic: Covid vaccine rollout in the US - who do you know that is getting the vaccine?  (Read 228587 times)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
Can we talk about the # of people we know that aren't getting the vaccine?

I had two people in my circle that had told me they were "waiting" to get the vaccine to give other people who really needed it a chance to get it first. One is nearly 60 and the other is a heavy smoker. I was 100% sure one of them was vaccine hesitant and not willing to admit it to me (I am about the most vaccine-forward person you will ever meet at this point, so I can see why you wouldn't want to tell me) and the other I was 50/50 since they do WFH and are basically a hermit and might consider themselves very low risk. The 50/50 person and their wife got their first doses this weekend. The 100% person texted me tonight to let me know they're meeting with their homeopath tomorrow to figure out an acceptable date for their vaccine appointment (I know... but... whatever it takes). She believes in all sorts of non-scientific stuff (horoscopes, psychics, etc.) so I can't even imagine what they will be factoring in to figure out what date it will be. As long as it's a date in the near future... that's fine.

Hopefully it’s before the date that the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end. Remember that?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Hopefully it’s before the date that the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end. Remember that?

:-) Hang on, let me read these entrails and get right back to you.

I guess if I thought the world was ending soon, I wouldn't worry about getting vaccinated for anything. That's more of a long-term planning thing.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
6 hours post second dose of Pfizer. So far, so good, I'm hoping to repeat the ease of shot #1! My arm is a little sore this time, and I had a headache for a short time about an hour post shot. Headache may or may not be related, though, as I didn't sleep last night and have a lot going on right now.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
DW and I got our 2nd Moderna doses 12 hours ago. No effects so far except a little arm soreness. We’ll see what tomorrow brings, if anything.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Husband and daughter are now more than 24 hours from Pfizer #2, so they officially have no symptoms from it.

Final tally of vaccine side effects from our immediate family of 10 people:

-- 7 got Pfizer, 3 got Moderna
-- 9 people had no symptoms other than mild soreness at the injection site; one person (16 year old who got Pfizer) had a 100 degree fever and a headache for a day.   
-- The three people who got Moderna are all generally in very poor health.  Two of them are elderly.  I was worried about possible side effects, but the three of them had nothing.   

So from our small sample -- 10% rate of side effects.   

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
i got my first shot the other day, Pfizer, i got a headache from it the same day, and still have it today

my wife got her 2nd shot on sunday and felt rough for monday but is fine now

I am surprised with how bad i feel after the first shot, mild headache, body aches and no energy 2 days after, now i am nervous to get the second dose

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
Well, I’m here to report yesterday’s 2nd dose of Moderna has kicked my butt. Didn’t sleep well at all last night, had a headache, body aches all over and low grade temperature. Of course, my arm is sore as well but that pales in comparison to the rest of it. DH seems to be doing much better than me, although he joined me at my most recent acetaminophen dosing, saying he was starting to feel really run down and achy.

I don’t love feeling crummy but it’s certainly worth it if it keeps me safe in the long run.

I’m happy to report that I’m back amongst the living today and feel great! What a relief. DH is fine as well and only had mild side effects.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Got Pfizer #2 yesterday, felt fine last night with just a little arm soreness. I woke up this morning with a massive headache, general fatigue, and (minor) body aches. My employer has given us all 8 hours of "vaccine time" separate from our normal vacation/sick time, and I didn't feel bad about using it. I slept for a few more hours and it's now 13:00 and I'm feeling mostly back to normal!  I logged on and took care of a couple work tasks but will be taking advantage of the rest of my day's worth of vaccine PTO :D 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Got my second Pfizer dose on Monday.  About 6 hours after getting the shot, started feeling flu-like symptoms, which lasted for about 36 hours.  Best way to describe it is the feeling you get midway from the start to height of a "normal" flu.  Feel much better today.

Arm soreness was not nearly as bad as the first shot.

Very thankful to have gotten both shots!  Now just hoping that a year from now everyone who got the vaccine doesn't suddenly start transforming into some sort of bionic mutant superhero.  Or maybe that would be cool.

Nah, my younger teen suggested some version of "The Walking Dead". This is how it starts our teen said (still wants the vaccine). Don't mind saying it was a disturbing thought to consider.

Our side effects were mild. Slight headache and fatigue for me. Same plus a few aches for DW. We got the Moderna shot. Sat around, watched TV.

Eldest offspring no symptoms at all (Pfizer)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:44:58 PM by Just Joe »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

Pfizer #2 yesterday. Similar amount of arm soreness as  shot #1. Started to feel a tiny bit achy 18 hours after the shot and now 30 hours in, almost resolved. No fever and no headache (though I never get those).

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
DW and I got our 2nd Moderna doses 12 hours ago. No effects so far except a little arm soreness. We’ll see what tomorrow brings, if anything.

Update:

DW had sweats and chills last night and continued to feel rotten today. She spent most of the morning asleep on the couch.  Very tender arm as well.

I was fine most of the day but had to deal with a headache as the day wore on. My arm isn’t very sore unless I find the injection site and really push. I have some yard work to do this evening.  This won’t hold me back from that, but I’ll probably be in bed earlier than normal.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
Well, things changed quickly! I woke up the following morning after Pfizer #2 with a killer headache bordering on migraine. My arm ached horribly and  my usual carpal tunnel issues were much worse than usual in the same wrist and hand. Headache remained throughout the day, which I dutifully dosed with Tylenol instead of my usual choice. This kept it barely manageable so I could push through work (no PTO when you are self employed). Muscle aches and a low fever in the evening made it hard to sleep, finally drifted off.

Fine today except for a bit of soreness directly at the shot site. Yesterday was a doozy, though. Likely made worse because it's been almost 1.5 years since I've even had so much as a cold thanks to social distancing. My discomfort tolerance level is much reduced!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Less than 20% of the residents of my county have even one dose of the vaccine -- and the number of people with two doses is pretty close to the same percentage.

Health department announced they are closing some vaccination stations because demand is dropping.

My county is chock full of shit-for-brains Trumpites.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Less than 20% of the residents of my county have even one dose of the vaccine -- and the number of people with two doses is pretty close to the same percentage.

Health department announced they are closing some vaccination stations because demand is dropping.

You can just call them Trumpites.  No need for redundancy.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
I thought I read that President Biden is deciding whether to make the vaccine mandatory for U.S. service members. 

Personally, I'm in favor unless, of course, the service member has a valid medical reason.   Seems like being fit and avoiding contracting and/or spreading a deadly disease should be reason enough.  It also reinforces that policy-making is led by science vs. allowing individuals to just say, "I don't wanna." 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
I thought I read that President Biden is deciding whether to make the vaccine mandatory for U.S. service members. 

Personally, I'm in favor unless, of course, the service member has a valid medical reason.   Seems like being fit and avoiding contracting and/or spreading a deadly disease should be reason enough.  It also reinforces that policy-making is led by science vs. allowing individuals to just say, "I don't wanna."

The only reason is wasn't mandatory from the beginning was that it only received emergency authorization from the FDA. Annual flu shots are already mandatory as are a host of others. In my 18 years I've received Smallpox, Anthrax, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A & B, Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis), MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), and probably a few others - in addition to Covid-19. My vaccination record just recently reached two pages long. The Anthrax shots were halted partway through the 6-shot series as there was a lawsuit at the time. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
SO and I got our second Pfizer shots on Saturday.  We both had milder symptoms overall than the first shot.  I had a sore arm, fatigue, and achy joints for the first shot.  My arm was more sore after the second shot, but I had just a little fatigue and no achy joints.

SO had a sore arm and fatigue after the first shot, and a less-sore arm and very slight fatigue after the second shot.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
I have gotten my first shot, my second shot is scheduled 2 weeks from now

I am frustrated with my GF (who I live with).  She is waiting, hesitant and wants to "see the data".   That in itself is fine, but she is putting all kinds of pressure on me to not do things after I am vaccinated because its still "too risky".

Driving me crazy.

Here is some data for her: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

3M dead worldwide and 570k+ in the usa.   1 out of every 579 people in the USA have died from covid.  The complications from the vaccines are many orders of magnitude lower.  It's unclear to me how anyone can be hesitant at this point and say they want to wait and "see the data" with a straight face.  Those people are anti-vax nuts, period.

People don't seem to be making the leap on comparing the risk of the vaccine to COVID.  Any time anybody talks about any kind of risk from the vaccine, the next sentence should be a comparison to the risk from COVID.  It's true that the risks from COVID aren't that high for young healthy people, but it's still orders of magnitude greater than the risk from the vaccine.  And risk is not just death.  Living for decades with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome-like symptoms could be almost as bad as death.

I think that part of the concern is that there is no long term data for these vaccines.  That makes them experimental and to some degree untested.  So far with the data we have right now, covid seems to be worse than getting vaccinated in some age groups (and there are reports of long term covid - something that hasn't yet arisen for problems from the vaccines, at least that I've read about).

I'm getting the Astra-Zeneca shot tomorrow but think there are some legitimate reasons for misgivings.

It is known to cause blood clots in people at a rate of about 8 people in every million vaccinated . . . but risk appears to be distributed at a higher rate among those who are least likely to have problems from Covid.

If you're under 40 (I'm turning 40 this year), the risks are:
Covid ICU admission - 2.7 people per 100,000
Serious vaccine harm - 0.8 people per 100,000

If you're under 30:
Covid ICU admission - 0.8 people per 100,000
Serious vaccine harm - 1.1 people per 100,000
- (https://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.ca/share/blood-clot-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety/)

I'm not anti-vaccine (as mentioned, I'm going to be vaccinated), but concerns about the risk/reward of these experimental vaccines is not unfounded, particularly for younger people.  Even for someone my age, the risk/benefit for vaccination isn't always a slam dunk.  At least not as much as I'd like to see.

True.  There is also no long term data for having had Covid.  So that makes it comparable to the vax in that regard.   It still makes sense to compare Covid risks with vax risks.  And since both have unknown long-term affects, that category of comparison is a wash.  So then we revert back to the risks of death and other known problems, and we are back to seeing that the vax is far, far superior. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
My wife has been having severe headaches and trouble concentrating which has been impacting her ability to work since getting the AstraZeneca vaccine with me more than a week ago.  It has been two doctor's visits now about this (and a negative covid test) and so far they can't find a source of the problem beyond being vaccinated.  She will be getting results from the platelet blood test tomorrow to see if she needs hospitalization/medication for blood clots.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
Annual flu shots are already mandatory as are a host of others. In my 18 years I've received Smallpox, Anthrax, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A & B, Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis), MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella), and probably a few others - in addition to Covid-19. My vaccination record just recently reached two pages long. The Anthrax shots were halted partway through the 6-shot series as there was a lawsuit at the time.

I’m not in the military, but I’ve had all of those except Anthrax because of travel and work history. That’s a whole lot of worry I can just walk away from. Vaccinations are pretty amazing.

Bruinguy

• Stubble
My wife has been having severe headaches and trouble concentrating which has been impacting her ability to work since getting the AstraZeneca vaccine with me more than a week ago.  It has been two doctor's visits now about this (and a negative covid test) and so far they can't find a source of the problem beyond being vaccinated.  She will be getting results from the platelet blood test tomorrow to see if she needs hospitalization/medication for blood clots.
Hope she gets better soon.

former player

• Walrus Stache

Only 36% of unvaccinated Americans agree with the statement: "If a COVID-19 vaccine were made available to me this week, I would definitely get it.", as against 67% in Denmark and the UK -

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#attitudes-to-covid-19-vaccinations

(need to scroll to find that table, mind)

engineerjourney

• Bristles
At approx 29 weeks pregnant I got my 2nd dose of Pfizer last Friday evening.  Husband got it at the same time.  Both of us just had a sore arm and were a little more tired than usual this weekend.  No biggie.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
My next door neighbor told dh that they were waiting until they could get an appointment for the Pfizer vaccine, because that's the best one. This pretty much surprised me because they refused to wear a mask after last spring and just carried on pretty normally, and I figured that they would refuse to be vaccinated. I do wonder if they are lying...

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
SO got her 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Had mildly sore arm after the first.  This time, very sore arm and chills yesterday; today, 100F temperature, dizziness, nausea in the morning, but this afternoon she is reporting feeling better.  Not a great way to feel but a great sign her immune reactions are kicking in.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
I've been lamenting that people are refusing the vaccine too. The only person I know personally (who lives far away) who hasn't been vaccinated and openly says he won't be basically says "why bother if I have to keep wearing a mask and crap".

I thought that was a pretty stupid argument until today, when I was accosted and cursed out for not wearing one (they're no longer required where I live because vaccination rates are 80+%) by a ~80 year old dude who followed me (with my 2 year old) into the children's section of the library.

I still think it's insane not to get vaccinated, but I sort of get his point now. I've been vaccinated for months. Captain Tourette's presumably has too (he's been eligible for at least 3 months) unless he deliberately chose not to. Yet he followed and personally confronted me and made a scene. I think this is what a lot of vaccine-hesitant people think is going to happen regardless of whether they get vaccinated or not, and if they're not very worried about covid/already anti-vax for other reasons, it's not helping.

There's of course a population of lazy/young and/or ESL folks who aren't vaccinated for non-political reasons. I personally think we should offer $100 or something to anyone to get vaccinated, no questions (other than making sure you're not already vaccinated, of course) asked. Drive around in a freaking ice cream truck playing that catchy jingle and hand out Benjamins... let's get it done.

-W

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
I'm sorry that happened to you @waltworks.  That sucks.   

I personally think we should offer $100 or something to anyone to get vaccinated, no questions (other than making sure you're not already vaccinated, of course) asked. Drive around in a freaking ice cream truck playing that catchy jingle and hand out Benjamins... let's get it done.
-W

Amen brother.  Whatever it takes at this point.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
Today a brewery in my town is hosting a vaccine clinic in their beer garden. If you show up and get vaccinated, you get a free beer. It will be interesting to see what the turnout ends up being.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
My county is raffling off brand new cars to get people vaccinated.

... I signed up :D

Only 36% of unvaccinated Americans agree with the statement: "If a COVID-19 vaccine were made available to me this week, I would definitely get it.", as against 67% in Denmark and the UK -

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations#attitudes-to-covid-19-vaccinations

That is a bit misleading since the US is far ahead of most of those countries in terms of vaccination (the people who want them have had more chance to get them). It would make more sense to add the % that want vaccination to the % already vaccinated. That would put the US at 44% (vaccinated >=1 shot) + 20% (not vaccinated but want) = 64%. Denmark is at 18% vaccinated (>= 1 shot) and 55% (not vaccinated but want) = 73%. France has been famously anti-vax for a while and by the same math they are 18% + 32% =50%. UK is at 52% +32% = 84%.

And while I doubt most anti-vax people can coherently explain their reticence, it's not as if the data is all in yet. The blood clots of the adenovirus-based vaccines are rare but increasingly appear to be a true signal, and while the mRNA vaccines seem to be rather safe, there are still lurking concerns over what damage the spike protein can cause on its own.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:44:06 PM by lost_in_the_endless_aisle »

former player

• Walrus Stache

That is a bit misleading since the US is far ahead of most of those countries in terms of vaccination (the people who want them have had more chance to get them). It would make more sense to add the % that want vaccination to the % already vaccinated. That would put the US at 44% (vaccinated >=1 shot) + 20% (not vaccinated but want) = 64%. Denmark is at 18% vaccinated (>= 1 shot) and 55% (not vaccinated but want) = 73%. France has been famously anti-vax for a while and by the same math they are 18% + 32% =50%. UK is at 52% +32% = 84%.

And while I doubt most anti-vax people can coherently explain their reticence, it's not as if the data is all in yet. The blood clots of the adenovirus-based vaccines are rare but increasingly appear to be a true signal, and while the mRNA vaccines seem to be rather safe, there are still lurking concerns over what damage the spike protein can cause on its own.
Yes, up to a point, but the problem is that a USA total of 64% of adults vaccinated is probably not herd immunity (if such a thing even exists for covid-19) but 84% is a lot closer to it.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache

Yes, up to a point, but the problem is that a USA total of 64% of adults vaccinated is probably not herd immunity (if such a thing even exists for covid-19) but 84% is a lot closer to it.

Well add in the 10%+ that have already recovered from COIVD and it's a lot closer.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
Today a brewery in my town is hosting a vaccine clinic in their beer garden. If you show up and get vaccinated, you get a free beer. It will be interesting to see what the turnout ends up being.

I can tell you if this happened in Wisconsin, that brewery would be out of beer by noon.

It's a little discouraging to see the vaccination momentum slowing though.  It's appearing to level out eventually in the 60-70% range...and we don't know if that's enough to make C19 transmissions negligible. 

By the River

• Bristles

Well add in the 10%+ that have already recovered from COIVD and it's a lot closer.

The 10% is the percentage actually diagnosed with Covid.  I've seen estimates ranging from 2-6 times more people have had it than were diagnosed.  I wouldn't guess what the Venn diagram looks like between 1) actually had Covid, 2) are vaccinated, and 3) both had Covid and are vaccinated.

(In my family, my brother-in-law drove his dad to the hospital because the father was ill.  The dad was confirmed to have covid and recovered later without hospitalization.  A few days later, my sister and brother-in-law both came down with classic symptoms.  Neither went to get it confirmed because "there's not a cure, why subject someone else getting it like we did"   Both are in that middle circle now in the Venn diagram)

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
I wouldn't guess what the Venn diagram looks like between 1) actually had Covid, 2) are vaccinated, and 3) both had Covid and are vaccinated.

(In my family, my brother-in-law drove his dad to the hospital because the father was ill.  The dad was confirmed to have covid and recovered later without hospitalization.  A few days later, my sister and brother-in-law both came down with classic symptoms.  Neither went to get it confirmed because "there's not a cure, why subject someone else getting it like we did"   Both are in that middle circle now in the Venn diagram)

A light-hearted correction: the overlapping part of a Venn diagram isn't a circle, in geometry it would be called a lens.

By the River

• Bristles
I wouldn't guess what the Venn diagram looks like between 1) actually had Covid, 2) are vaccinated, and 3) both had Covid and are vaccinated.

TIL: I knew circle wasn't right when I typed it but didn't know the correct term.

A light-hearted correction: the overlapping part of a Venn diagram isn't a circle, in geometry it would be called a lens.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
The 100% person texted me tonight to let me know they're meeting with their homeopath tomorrow to figure out an acceptable date for their vaccine appointment (I know... but... whatever it takes). She believes in all sorts of non-scientific stuff (horoscopes, psychics, etc.) so I can't even imagine what they will be factoring in to figure out what date it will be. As long as it's a date in the near future... that's fine.

Sigh. I guess the meeting with the homeopath didn't go well, or something, because now this friend is saying she's "just not ready" to get vaccinated and she doesn't know when she will be. I sent her a message this morning to let her know that one of our favorite bands is doing an indoor show (masked/reduced capacity/etc.) and it's in five weeks so she has just enough time to be fully vaccinated for it if she gets a Pfizer vaccine this week. Rejected. :-( I wrote back saying I'm sorry she won't be there and I'm happy to talk about the vaccine issue if she wants to. She said she doesn't. I dunno what more you can really do without being an asshole about it.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
She wasn't convinced to not get the vaccine by facts or rational arguments, so she can't be unconvinced by facts or rational arguments.  Similar to a religious belief.  It's not founded on evidence, so what evidence could you possibly provide?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
She wasn't convinced to not get the vaccine by facts or rational arguments, so she can't be unconvinced by facts or rational arguments.  Similar to a religious belief.  It's not founded on evidence, so what evidence could you possibly provide?

Yeah. That's why I've been trying more of an emotional pitch, inviting her to do fun things with friends that she misses, instead of trying to argue/badger her into it because it's the rational, intelligent thing to do.

I'm hoping that I'm keeping myself friendly enough that she feels she can talk to me if she ever changes her mind. You don't want to alienate people so much that they dig in harder or feel like it's an argument they're invested in winning. I'm encouraged (slightly) that she's not saying "I will never let them put that poison in me" or something like that - just "I'm not ready" and "not yet." Leaving herself a psychological escape hatch where she can say at any time: now I'm ready.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache

The 10% is the percentage actually diagnosed with Covid.  I've seen estimates ranging from 2-6 times more people have had it than were diagnosed.  I wouldn't guess what the Venn diagram looks like between 1) actually had Covid, 2) are vaccinated, and 3) both had Covid and are vaccinated.

My brother-in-law had Covid and later got vaccinated (confirmed case). His wife and two children also caught it (never tested but some minor symptoms and pretty impossible not to in a shared household). I'm not sure if any of them got vaccinated. Anecdotally the first dose of Moderna hit him very hard (fever/chills, body aches, feeling miserable for 24-36 hours), second dose wasn't as bad.

I agree that the 10% positive rate in the US is undercounting and is probably at least 15-20% when you consider how many families probably didn't bother getting everyone tested if one person came up positive and the rest of the family had any symptoms - especially if they were children and exhibited no symptoms.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
The 100% person texted me tonight to let me know they're meeting with their homeopath tomorrow to figure out an acceptable date for their vaccine appointment (I know... but... whatever it takes). She believes in all sorts of non-scientific stuff (horoscopes, psychics, etc.) so I can't even imagine what they will be factoring in to figure out what date it will be. As long as it's a date in the near future... that's fine.

Sigh. I guess the meeting with the homeopath didn't go well, or something, because now this friend is saying she's "just not ready" to get vaccinated and she doesn't know when she will be. I sent her a message this morning to let her know that one of our favorite bands is doing an indoor show (masked/reduced capacity/etc.) and it's in five weeks so she has just enough time to be fully vaccinated for it if she gets a Pfizer vaccine this week. Rejected. :-( I wrote back saying I'm sorry she won't be there and I'm happy to talk about the vaccine issue if she wants to. She said she doesn't. I dunno what more you can really do without being an asshole about it.

Be careful, the latest thing I've seen is people worried that people who were vaccinated might have something "contagious" I guess was the right word that unvaccinated people could catch off of them and put them at risk so they're avoiding vaccinated people. She might move on to not wanting to be in close proximity to you if you are vaccinated.....

My brother-in-law had Covid and later got vaccinated (confirmed case). His wife and two children also caught it (never tested but some minor symptoms and pretty impossible not to in a shared household). I'm not sure if any of them got vaccinated. Anecdotally the first dose of Moderna hit him very hard (fever/chills, body aches, feeling miserable for 24-36 hours), second dose wasn't as bad.

I agree that the 10% positive rate in the US is undercounting and is probably at least 15-20% when you consider how many families probably didn't bother getting everyone tested if one person came up positive and the rest of the family had any symptoms - especially if they were children and exhibited no symptoms.
20-45% though updates to those estimates ended at the end of Feb. 30% seems like a reasonable guess to me.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Be careful, the latest thing I've seen is people worried that people who were vaccinated might have something "contagious" I guess was the right word that unvaccinated people could catch off of them and put them at risk so they're avoiding vaccinated people. She might move on to not wanting to be in close proximity to you if you are vaccinated.....

Yeah, I've seen that brand of lunacy as well... Luckily not from her, since she mentioned wanting to visit outdoors. But the last time I suggested getting together outdoors she said she couldn't because she needed a COVID test after [insert long list of unsafe indoor behaviors]. So I'm not issuing any more invites at this point. She seems like a person at high risk for carrying COVID around and I don't want to encourage her to get on the subway and be around a lot of people.

Meanwhile I'm over here scheming about how to get another series of vaccines now that they're doing cool freebies like baseball tickets and museum tickets... ;-)

jeroly

• Pencil Stache

I’d agree that the actual percentage of Americans who have had COVID is much higher that 10% - perhaps as high as 30%. However, these are not mutually exclusive to the Americans who have been vaccinated - many people have both had COVID and have chosen to get vaccinated.  If we postulate that 1/2 of COVID-afflicted Americans have been vaccinated, then we are down to maybe 15% extra.   

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
I was looking at the vaccination data by state today and it got me wondering how are they accounting for people that are getting vaccinated in different states? I actually got my first in Oklahoma and my second in Arkansas. So am I counted as 1 dose in each state? I know some other people that did the same thing and another that got the first dose in Missouri and the second in Arkansas. Obviously it's a small proportion of the population, but according to records I might only have 1 dose in two states. Just something I was thinking about today.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Shot #2 (Moderna) is in my arm!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Now that Canada has approved the Pfizer vaccine for the 12 to 15 year old age group I’m very hopeful the U.S. will follow suit shortly.  I’m really looking forward to our 15 yo son getting his shots. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache

I was taught the overlapping part of two Venn circles (sets) is called an intersection, in high school probability class. And yes, in geometry it is referred to as a lens.

Eye-opening that I've forgotten so much of basic math while I deal with base2/8/10 math on a daily basis.

Back on topic: co-worker refuses to get vaccinated, he has theories and is a 45 whoreshipper, but when confronted with the fact that 45 got vaccinated, he claims that's MSM fake news. It's only a matter of time until my workplace demands 100% vaccinations. Oh, his wife was infected with Covid-19 a few months back, she's high-risk, and he still refuses to get the vax. There's ignorant, and then there's willfully stupid. If a town in Texas is looking for their idiot, he's here in Florida.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
And while I doubt most anti-vax people can coherently explain their reticence

A lot is just laziness, at least from the people I've talked to who haven't gotten vaccinated. It's work, and up until recently the shots were only available if you could drive a significant distance away and wait in long lines. However in the last week or two it appears the state is now sending some of the vaccine supply to pharmacies, which means that now the shots are available on every other major corner in the city. That might help pick up the lazy people who didn't want to drive an hour round-trip and wait in line for 30+ minutes at the small number of state run sites.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!