Author Topic: Cost of using a car - mind blown  (Read 4452 times)

carobinson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Nourished Pantry
Cost of using a car - mind blown
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:19:27 PM »
So me and my husband sat down to calculate the per/km cost of using our cars. Until starting to read the MMM blog, we never even thought twice about the cost of using our cars. We have both driven around our town multiple times almost everyday (work & school) and also trips to Melbourne (151km away) 1-3 times a month.

We have an upcoming trip to Melbourne for a sporting event and decided to work out the most economical way to travel to Melbourne from our home town.

We could catch the train, which for 2 adults and 2 kids will cost us $90 for the return trip. To catch the train we would either have to drive or walk 2km to the station (piece of cake) but we would also be walking 2km home at around midnight with 2 sleepy children (not so fun).

Driving our 2010 Toyota Camry
22 cents per km = $63.42 running cost for the return trip
$25 car parking
$11 toll fees
Total $99.42
plus portion of registration & insurance costs currently we pay these whether we are driving the cars or not)

Before actually working out these calculations, I never would have thought a trip to Melbourne would cost us that much! Then add to that if we purchase anything while we are there (sporting tickets, food etc). And to think that we do this trip 1-3 times a month (for recreational purposes), we are spending much more that I had considered on travel.

Looks like we will be taking the train for this coming trip and carefully re-thinking our travel to Melbourne from here-on in!

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
Re: Cost of using a car - mind blown
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:38 AM »
Saving $9.42 wouldn't be worth the hassle of taking a train to me, instead I'd cut down on the number of trips.

If you average 2 trips a month, taking the train saves $113.04 per year. Driving there only once a month could save  $1,193.04 per year.

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:37 AM »
Spending an extra hour+ commuting, in more discomfort to boot, to save $10 or even $50, means you don't respect yourself or value your time.

carobinson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Nourished Pantry
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:31:06 AM »
It's not really a time issue as it's roughly the same time by car or train. The benefit of the train is the kids love it, we can read or chat easier or even sleep if we wanted to.

The eye opener for us was the sheer cost of travelling to the City (which I mentioned we do 1-3 times a month). This fact alone will encourage us to reduce our trips to Melbourne to save money.

The outlined trip above is already planned so it's just a matter of picking which method we use as they both have pros and cons.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
Spending an extra hour+ commuting, in more discomfort to boot, to save $10 or even $50, means you don't respect yourself or value your time.

OP has already pointed out that the time is about the same and the level of comfort may actually increase, but even if it that wasn't the case this decision has nothing to do with respecting oneself or valuing time. Take a look at these articles if you haven't already. Plus trains are safer which for some would override any other factor.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/22/what-is-hedonic-adaptation-and-how-can-it-turn-you-into-a-sukka/
https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/02/what-is-stoicism-and-how-can-it-turn-your-life-to-solid-gold/

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
If you like riding the train more than driving and it costs less, then that's certainly a win-win. I like riding trains, but find it a hassle to get to the station, buy tickets, etc. isn't usually worth it for me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:25:42 AM by VoteCthulu »

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
There are multiple factors excluded.
How much can be checked / carried on the train?  How much can the car trunk hold?  (are they packing at least a lunch?)
The cost of getting around Melbourne when taking the train.  The limitations of where public transportation goes/doesn't go.  Specifically low cost dining and things to see/do.
The schedule of the trains vs the car.   The time to get to/from the train station and the time to wait for the train.
Everyone but the driver can sleep if they take the car.
Is it possible to find free or cheaper parking in the city?!?   

Making 2 kids walk 2k in the middle of the night for a couple bucks 'blows my mind' (to put it nicely).

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
Saving $9.42 wouldn't be worth the hassle of taking a train to me, instead I'd cut down on the number of trips.

If you average 2 trips a month, taking the train saves $113.04 per year. Driving there only once a month could save  $1,193.04 per year.

This.

Take the train a few times and decide from there. Even if it is a hassle, the kids will learn to think of it as an option and get to learn how to do it. If it ends up being more hassle than it is worth after the second time, you can always change your approach.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Making 2 kids walk 2k in the middle of the night for a couple bucks 'blows my mind' (to put it nicely).
That rather depends where they live.  Not fun in a rough, inner-city neighbourhood, but in a country town that could be great fun for everyone.  If everyone has bikes with lights then cycling to and from the station would be even simpler - or just leave one bike at the station and then one adult can speed off to get the car whilst everyone else starts to walk home.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:13 AM »

Are you American, by any chance :-) ?

Seems to me (although it's quite a few years since I've been to Melbourne) that places like the MCG, Docklands Stadium, AAMI etc. are pretty much set up for most people to get there and back on the train and being at the station/on the train with other fans before and after is part of the overall experience.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!