Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 92349 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
Loved it - she sure didn't mince any words, did she?

One of our ex politicians wrote a wonderful article today

https://www.theage.com.au/national/people-on-bondi-beach-win-the-selfish-and-stupid-award-20200321-p54chx.html

The worst behaviour is from people who are returning from overseas or for other reasons have been told to self-isolate and don't.

They are wilfully putting their fellow Australians at risk. If you know someone like this, tick them off over the phone and then rub them off your contact list. They're selfish idiots, repositories of stupidity and you don't need to carry that baggage around for the rest of your life.

The people at Bondi Beach last week win the selfish and stupid award. We've all been asked to keep our distance, to limit our social interaction to help slow the spread. We thus contribute to flattening the curve so that our health system can cope. We will contribute to saving lives. But not those morons in Bondi.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
Baton Rouge pastor defies governor,
nbc15.com

Baton-Rouge-pastor-defies-governor
3 days ago

The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... "We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”

Louisiana pastor holds church service with 300 people
cbsnews.com
3 days ago

Louisiana pastor holds church service for over 300 people, defying ... night with hundreds of congregants despite an order from the state's governor

Rev. Tony Spell defies coronavirus gatherings ban
washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Declaring that the coronavirus is "politically motivated," a Louisiana pastor held a church service with hundreds of people in violation of the ...

Is this the same guy who said "The power of prayer is greater than this virus?"  No, no it isn't.

Also saw a clip of extremists in Iran kissing and touching the gates to some holy site, with one guy actually licking it, saying that he is "cleaning off the virus."  Their religious leader is actively telling people to defy bans and that this is all a conspiracy by the west or some such crap.

I despair for humanity.

Sometimes I think religion is the bane of humanity.

And then there are the majority of churches that have moved to online services and have organized groups of volunteers to bring food and water and other necessities to those who are unable to go out to purchase these things for themselves or who are in the high-risk categories and do not want to venture outside. Those who have cars and who stocked up early are now cooking and dropping off food supplies  from their own stash to those who were unable to stock up early. Many of these folks were motivated to reach out and help because of their faith. I know there are many non-religious groups that do the same thing because of other values that they hold. My point as simply that the churches in the article are outliers and it’s not fair to lump all religious groups in with them by saying that religion is the bane of humanity.

I agree.

When  I posted I was well aware of the good works churches do.

That's why I posted  "Sometimes  I think religion is the bane of humanity."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:38:20 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:23 PM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... "We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

Louisiana pastor holds church service for over 300 people, defying ... night with hundreds of congregants despite an order from the state's governor

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Declaring that the coronavirus is "politically motivated," a Louisiana pastor held a church service with hundreds of people in violation of the ...

Is this the same guy who said "The power of prayer is greater than this virus?"  No, no it isn't.

Also saw a clip of extremists in Iran kissing and touching the gates to some holy site, with one guy actually licking it, saying that he is "cleaning off the virus."  Their religious leader is actively telling people to defy bans and that this is all a conspiracy by the west or some such crap.

I despair for humanity.

And then there are the majority of churches that have moved to online services and have organized groups of volunteers to bring food and water and other necessities to those who are unable to go out to purchase these things for themselves or who are in the high-risk categories and do not want to venture outside. Those who have cars and who stocked up early are now cooking and dropping off food supplies  from their own stash to those who were unable to stock up early. Many of these folks were motivated to reach out and help because of their faith. I know there are many non-religious groups that do the same thing because of other values that they hold. My point as simply that the churches in the article are outliers and it’s not fair to lump all religious groups in with them by saying that religion is the bane of humanity.

I agree.

To me, it comes down to whether religion does more good or more bad.

Sometimes, I think the jury is still out.

But most of the time, I think we’d be better off without it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

I agree.

To me, it comes down to whether religion does more good or more bad.

Sometimes, I think the jury is still out.

But most of the time, I think we’d be better off without it.

I've thought about  the issue for a long time.

My conclusion differs: I think on balance the world is better off because of religion but not by much.

Regardless of my personal opinion of religion (I am an atheist), as a First Amendment absolutist I've never wavered  from forceful advocacy of the right of all  to worship as they choose under the Free Exercise Clause.

Never.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:03:05 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
Religions are fine as long as they don't spread hatred, prey upon children, or start religious wars. 

If they'd just stick with preaching the Love and "help thy neighbor" message religion would be A-Ok with me. 

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #405 on: March 25, 2020, 08:47:11 AM »
Here is some stupidity:

My wife is currently receiving in-home PT and OT due to a broken and dislocated ankle.  The therapists go from house to house to house all day long.

They are not wearing masks or using gloves.

I banned them from the house on Monday.  Considering that they are ostensibly health care workers this is an astonishing screw-up by their employer.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #406 on: March 25, 2020, 09:32:24 AM »
Here is some stupidity:

My wife is currently receiving in-home PT and OT due to a broken and dislocated ankle.  The therapists go from house to house to house all day long.

I banned them from the house on Monday.  Considering that they are ostensibly health care workers this is an astonishing screw-up by their employer.
Could be the shortage. I'm assuming y'all have a solution for your wife doing the rehab without the workers.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: March 25, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
Here is some stupidity:

Could be the shortage. I'm assuming y'all have a solution for your wife doing the rehab without the workers.

The wife is going to be pretty pissed if she ends up with reduced function for life due to this. PT and OT sometimes has a time limit on effectiveness. And if you do it wrong, you could make things worse.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: March 25, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
One province over a lady was arrested and placed in a holding cell for violating her self isolation order. 

"Police told CBC News on Tuesday their primary goal was to educate people on the need to stay home and arrests would only come if someone refused to comply.

In this case, police said education wasn't enough."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/corner-brook-woman-arrested-covid-19-1.5509212

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #409 on: March 25, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
One province over a lady was arrested and placed in a holding cell for violating her self isolation order. 

"Police told CBC News on Tuesday their primary goal was to educate people on the need to stay home and arrests would only come if someone refused to comply.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/corner-brook-woman-arrested-covid-19-1.5509212

There are a lot of people not following the quarantine.  I'm hoping it doesn't come to a full ban on leaving the home.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #410 on: March 25, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »

There are a lot of people not following the quarantine.  I'm hoping it doesn't come to a full ban on leaving the home.

I was speaking with a colleague in Corner Brook a few mins ago who has some insider info.  Apparently the lady was in a cab and told the driver that she was supposed to be self isolating.  He stopped cab, told her to get out, and called police.  Police arrived to assess the situation and, as she stomped up the road away from them, explained in explicit detail the manner in which they could fuck themselves and their mother. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:02:14 AM by Dogastrophe »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

I was speaking with a colleague in Corner Brook a few mins ago who has some insider info.  Apparently the lady was in a cab and told the driver that she was supposed to be self isolating.  He stopped cab, told her to get out, and called police.  Police arrived to assess the situation and, as she stomped up the road away from them, explained in explicit detail the manner in which they could fuck themselves and their mother's.

Anyone ready to believe me that we would lose fewer people if we just summarily executed a few of these selfish shits and publicized it thoroughly?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: March 25, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »

Even in Wuhan at its worse, I don’t think there was a full ban. One family member was allowed to leave the home once every couple days to fetch groceries. I guess it depends on how you define “full ban”.

We are currently under a full ban in Shanghai, as in, we have people bringing our groceries to us and we report our temperatures in twice a day and have had to sign a document that we understand we may be jailed if we step outside our apartment. It’s not that bad. Yesterday, I cleaned the patio furniture and enjoyed our balcony for the first time in many months.

T-Money$

• Stubble
« Reply #413 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
Seems this virus may well have been estimated much more deadly than it really is, by several orders of magnitude.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »
Here is some stupidity:

The wife is going to be pretty pissed if she ends up with reduced function for life due to this. PT and OT sometimes has a time limit on effectiveness. And if you do it wrong, you could make things worse.

The wife won't be lucky to end up with reduced function if she's dies before that.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: March 25, 2020, 02:37:33 PM »
Seems this virus may well have been estimated much more deadly than it really is, by several orders of magnitude.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464

I have no idea what the actual death rate of Corona virus is, and I don't think anyone really knows since there's limited testing around the world.

What I do know is that ICU's in my country are getting very crowded and that's after cancelling basically all surgery except emergency surgery. Based on the current rates of infection they expect them to be at full capacity next week. So whatever the theorerical death rate is, the amount of people getting severely ill is so significant that our health system can barely cope after sending almost everyone else home. So there's definitely a big thing going on.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: March 25, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »

You can enjoy Easter Sunday in church with Trump & the WSJ.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: March 25, 2020, 04:02:37 PM »

I have no idea what the actual death rate of Corona virus is, and I don't think anyone really knows since there's limited testing around the world.

What I do know is that ICU's in my country are getting very crowded and that's after cancelling basically all surgery except emergency surgery. Based on the current rates of infection they expect them to be at full capacity next week. So whatever the theorerical death rate is, the amount of people getting severely ill is so significant that our health system can barely cope after sending almost everyone else home. So there's definitely a big thing going on.

Exactly.   There are two death rates -- once the health care system is overwhelmed the death rate is way worse.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »

You can enjoy Easter Sunday in church with Trump & the WSJ.

And maybe eat some chocolate bunnies and Easter eggs dyed green.

Ha ha!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: March 25, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »
Here is some stupidity:

The wife won't be lucky to end up with reduced function if she's dies before that.

Yes, but I strongly object to what sounds like a husband banning individuals providing care to his wife WITHOUT her input or agreement. Sure, maybe that part happened. But that's not what he said happened. So he gets shit from me - either for being a shit by dictating her care without her agreement, or by making it sound like that's what happened.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #420 on: March 25, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »

Saw this earlier. Atlanta, GA's ICUs are reported to be at capacity. Atlanta is huge population center, and I haven't heard that they've been staying home for 2 weeks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/489374-atlanta-mayor-explains-decision-to-impose-stricter-restrictions-than

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
Here's a US county-by-county COVID-19 infection #'s map on Weather Underground.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?covid=1&lat=35.45&lon=-81&cm_ven=covid-map

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »
Saw this earlier. Atlanta, GA's ICUs are reported to be at capacity. Atlanta is huge population center, and I haven't heard that they've been staying home for 2 weeks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/489374-atlanta-mayor-explains-decision-to-impose-stricter-restrictions-than
Maybe once we see what happens to cities that go "oh, our ICUs are full, maybe we should make people stay at home" and then try to handle the unavoidable next few doublings of cases that are already in the pipeline, people will get the picture that you do not want to get behind this thing. Too bad people will have to die to make the point.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?covid=1&lat=35.45&lon=-81&cm_ven=covid-map

This map is really interesting. However, going by the numbers reported for my county, it's way out of date.  Our county has almost 10x the number of cases reported here (as of yesterday).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #424 on: March 25, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »

It makes me wonder if the people blowing off the risk have ever had or known somebody with pneumonia.  You don't have to die from this thing for you and the community to be royally screwed by it.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #425 on: March 25, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »

Maybe once we see what happens to cities that go "oh, our ICUs are full, maybe we should make people stay at home" and then try to handle the unavoidable next few doublings of cases that are already in the pipeline, people will get the picture that you do not want to get behind this thing. Too bad people will have to die to make the point.

Exactly. I think we will very soon see this with Florida, which has basically taken the stance that the US as a whole took a few weeks ago, which was just to close its borders and pretend like it was an external problem.

Here’s an interesting site that models when each state will hit that “oh, our ICUs are full” point of no return, based on each one’s current cases, their current shelter in place vs social distancing vs nothing policy, and their number of ICU beds:
https://covidactnow.org/

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:36 PM »

This map is really interesting. However, going by the numbers reported for my county, it's way out of date.  Our county has almost 10x the number of cases reported here (as of yesterday).

Sorry to hear that.  I had no way to check.  I like their weather info & assumed that they had the current COVID-19 data for their map.  Hopefully they'll improve the update accuracy soon.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: March 25, 2020, 09:15:38 PM »
Two people died in my state, the first two victims. They were both in their 70s. Our state chief medical officer just said that the particularly high risk group is people over 65 and/or people with one or more co-morbidities. Of all the people in ICU, only one is in their 30s. However, our state's infection tracking also shows that the most popular age group to have the virus is those aged 25-29. This tells me that the virus certainly does become much more dangerous as your age advances.

TeeNixx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Let the last check bounce ;-)
« Reply #428 on: March 25, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »
Here is an article from The New Yorker on some lessons learned from treating the pandemic at the front lines.
It's a bit more uplifting than most. A glimmer of hope?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/keeping-the-coronavirus-from-infecting-health-care-workers/amp

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: March 25, 2020, 10:17:37 PM »
My son, a LEO, called me two days ago to tell me to pack a bug out bag.  I said as long as the grocery stores are open, we'll be fine.  At least until the hospitals start turning sick people away.

News today - the Metro Detroit hospitals are almost to capacity.  Boy, that was fast.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: March 26, 2020, 01:00:31 AM »
A casual friend now has it. Her 80 yo father, with whom she has been staying, is hospitalized, on a respirator, and doctors are not saying good things.  His positive test is back.  Her's is still out, but it's pretty clear she has it.  She is in her late 20s or early 30s and said she has never experienced anything like this.  Her descriptions are terrifying and heartbreaking.  She's still at home, at least for now.

It also makes me irrationally (or perhaps it is entirely rational) at the people who continue to deny this.  And continue to defy the things that are going to help prevent some of this extreme suffering.  And make no mistake--it is *suffering*.  And the longer these selfish assholes keep going to the beach and church and restaurants, the longer the rest of us who are doing the right thing have to continue with these measures.

I'm on week 4 of near entire social isolation.  I started early because I could and it seemed like the right thing.  At the time, I didn't fear the disease, and I thought I was just doing it for the community.  Now, I'm also scared for myself and my family.  It's not the flu, even for young people.  It's not pneumonia.  It's cruel and painful and hope-stealing and awful in a way that I can't put in to words. 

And I feel like we are at the beginning of the suffering here in most of the US. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:29 AM »
A casual friend now has it. Her 80 yo father, with whom she has been staying, is hospitalized, on a respirator, and doctors are not saying good things.  His positive test is back.  Her's is still out, but it's pretty clear she has it.  She is in her late 20s or early 30s and said she has never experienced anything like this.  Her descriptions are terrifying and heartbreaking.  She's still at home, at least for now.

It also makes me irrationally (or perhaps it is entirely rational) at the people who continue to deny this.  And continue to defy the things that are going to help prevent some of this extreme suffering.  And make no mistake--it is *suffering*.  And the longer these selfish assholes keep going to the beach and church and restaurants, the longer the rest of us who are doing the right thing have to continue with these measures.

I'm on week 4 of near entire social isolation.  I started early because I could and it seemed like the right thing.  At the time, I didn't fear the disease, and I thought I was just doing it for the community.  Now, I'm also scared for myself and my family.  It's not the flu, even for young people.  It's not pneumonia.  It's cruel and painful and hope-stealing and awful in a way that I can't put in to words. 

And I feel like we are at the beginning of the suffering here in most of the US.

I think you're right, unfortunately. You have an awful pandemic situation, a terrible health system, and massive mis-management. We're all in lockdown or at some point in this nasty situation, but the world is looking at USA watching a train wreck happening. It's awful.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: March 26, 2020, 03:34:32 AM »
fox4news
9 hours ago

man took fish tank cleaner to prevent coronavirus infection and died ... Officials say both were taken to a Banner Health hospital for immediate treatment

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: March 26, 2020, 04:06:41 AM »

But.. there is already plenty of cities that can be an example.

Exactly this happened to Wuhan. Then it happened to Bergamo/Northern Italy. Then it happened to Madrid.

Why do people need the example to be in their own area to see the urgency even though they know cases are already doubling every few days in their area/state/country?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: March 26, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »
See the contrarian thread, where lockdowns in affected states are considered “destroying society” and sick/old people should be thrown under the bus for their profit.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: March 26, 2020, 05:17:20 AM »
See the contrarian thread, where lockdowns in affected states are considered “destroying society” and sick/old people should be thrown under the bus for their profit.

Yup, I've read it.

It's interesting to me how the 'contrarians' assume that things will be business as usual if the government wouldn't mandate the interventions.

Airlines canceled flights before the governments mandated it, because people didn't want to fly anymore.

People in my country decided to take their kids out of school before the government closed the schools, because they were worried.

Many events were canceled before the government told them to cancel.

If the ICU's are full and the whatever % of the population that gets severely infected is in line at the hospital to try and get treatment, how on earth do these contrarians expect that the rest of society will live business as usual without crippling anxiety?

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #436 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
You could of course  turn this around and ask as well:
How are the hysterical people expecting the contrarians to let crippling anxiety take over their lives? And what is it supposed to be good for?
I will not call myself a contrarian, I am a nurse and working but I can't help being thought of by people on the forum as a contrarian because my opinion differs?

I am not even going to comment on twisting pea words to mean some of us are indifferent to people dying.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #437 on: March 26, 2020, 06:41:21 AM »
How are the hysterical people expecting the contrarians to let crippling anxiety take over their lives? And what is it supposed to be good for?
I will not call myself a contrarian, I am a nurse and working but I can't help being thought of by people on the forum as a contrarian because my opinion differs?

I am not even going to comment on twisting pea words to mean some of us are indifferent to people dying.

Crippling anxiety wouldn't have to take over if more responsibility were observed.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:27 AM »
fox4news
9 hours ago

man took fish tank cleaner to prevent coronavirus infection and died ... Officials say both were taken to a Banner Health hospital for immediate treatment

Well, it stopped him from getting Corona virus....

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:07 AM »
My son, a LEO, called me two days ago to tell me to pack a bug out bag.  I said as long as the grocery stores are open, we'll be fine.  At least until the hospitals start turning sick people away.

News today - the Metro Detroit hospitals are almost to capacity.  Boy, that was fast.
“Bug out” to where?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: March 26, 2020, 07:31:33 AM »

@DaMa Your son should know better, shame on him. STAY WHERE YOU ARE. Stay inside. Do not pack a bug out bag, because you are not going anywhere. Just stay put.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: March 26, 2020, 07:32:35 AM »

“Bug out” to where?
Antarctica?

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: March 26, 2020, 07:35:17 AM »

You could ask that, but it would be a stupid thing to ask.

This is a straight choice between two options, both of which are really shitty:

1. Lock down hard and fast, and the economy takes a colossal hit. After several weeks, when new cases have slowed to a trickle, start gradually reopening society. Bring in a substantial surveillance apparatus using as much technology as possible to track and stamp down any new outbreaks as time goes on. In perhaps 18 months, mandatory vaccination for everyone who isn't immunocompromised, with absolutely zero tolerance for antivaxxers or religious exemptions. Don't like the vaccine? Fuck you, you're getting it.

2. Don't lock down, expect society to run as usual. The economy still takes a colossal hit, as anyone who can stay home will stay home, and hospitals become flooded with cases. With inadequate beds, medical personnel and equipment, people start dying in huge numbers. The economy goes down the toilet even faster. States start running out of coffins and storing corpses in industrial freezers. The medical system is reduced to rubble in a matter of months, as thousands of experienced professionals die or break down mentally. Six months later, society faces a totalled economy, a mountain of corpses, a thoroughly wrecked healthcare system and the worst death toll in centuries.

This is not a choice between the economy and the elderly, because there is no option that doesn't fuck the economy. Whatever we do, we're in for the worst depression since at least the 1930s, and quite possibly the worst since the Black Death. The only choice we get is roughly how many people die while the crash happens.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: March 26, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »

I think this was meant towards my comment and I'm not sure if you understood correctly.

What I meant to say there was that even if we didn't take any measures, the economy would suffer badly from this (see the examples about airlines/travel, schools, and events). We don't know how much though. Assuming that the pancemic would be worse if no measures were taken at all - for which I admittedly have no proof as most countries have taken measures - I would expect economic activity to drop as well as people will get more and more afraid to get infected, esp once hospitals would be unable to take up any more patients.

It is impossible to guess how much of an effect that would have on the economy ofcourse, as it would largely depend on individual human behavior which is harder to model than nationwide restrictions. Nobody knows how much economic activity would reduce when nothing is done.

So what I mean to say is that, if no measures are taken, the economy will still take a hit, we just don't know how big. It may even be (almost) as bad as the hit it's taken now, as the pandemic would be worse and go on much longer.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »

“Bug out” to where?

Small tourist towns in the NC mtns are having problems with people from NY & other hot zones fleeing to vacation cabins and delivering CONVID-19 to the rural areas.  I've heard of at least one county banning short-term rentals to protect the local population from the virus.  I can understand and sympathize with both sides. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: March 26, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »

“Bug out” to where?

Go camping for a while?

We conveniently set up most of a bugout bag just before the pandemic, thanks to a tornado catching us unprepared. The only things we'd need to add now are a tent and an air mattress. However, my in-laws live on a 100 acre farm that we could probably live on indefinitely if shit really hit the fan.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2020, 07:42:50 AM »

2. Don't lock down, expect society to run as usual. The economy still takes a colossal hit, as anyone who can stay home will stay home, and hospitals become flooded with cases. With inadequate beds, medical personnel and equipment, people start dying in huge numbers. The economy goes down the toilet even faster. States start running out of coffins and storing corpses in industrial freezers. The medical system is reduced to rubble in a matter of months, as thousands of experienced professionals die or break down mentally. Six months later, society faces a totalled economy, a mountain of corpses, a thoroughly wrecked healthcare system and the worst death toll in centuries.

This is not a choice between the economy and the elderly, because there is no option that doesn't fuck the economy. Whatever we do, we're in for the worst depression since at least the 1930s, and quite possibly the worst since the Black Death. The only choice we get is roughly how many people die while the crash happens.

This is what I was trying to say, but runbikerun said it better!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
Oh for heaven's sake.

STOP THINKING ABOUT TRYING TO ESCAPE THE VIRUS. People like that are the ones that got shot on sight for breaking quarantine historically. Yes, you're scared. Everyone's scared. If you try to move from a hotspot to somewhere calmer, you're more likely to just spread the virus and make a new hotspot.

Stay home. Stay inside. No camping, no trips, no gallivanting around the area. Be bored and anxious and depressed.

But stay the fuck home.

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »

You could ask that, but it would be a stupid thing to ask.

This is a straight choice between two options, both of which are really shitty:

1. Lock down hard and fast, and the economy takes a colossal hit. After several weeks, when new cases have slowed to a trickle, start gradually reopening society. Bring in a substantial surveillance apparatus using as much technology as possible to track and stamp down any new outbreaks as time goes on. In perhaps 18 months, mandatory vaccination for everyone who isn't immunocompromised, with absolutely zero tolerance for antivaxxers or religious exemptions. Don't like the vaccine? Fuck you, you're getting it.

eating

Well, as I stated in the contrarian thread, there seems to be at least a third option of quarantine for the elderly and vulnerable and school, University and work for the others. It has been carefully discussed in the German Bundestag yesterday as virologists have advised to do this.
There is a problem of treating the population unequally when doing this so alone for that reason it may not happen but it is discussed as a solution to the problem and it will be interesting to see what is decided.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

“Bug out” to where?

Small tourist towns in the NC mtns are having problems with people from NY & other hot zones fleeing to vacation cabins and delivering CONVID-19 to the rural areas.  I've heard of at least one county banning short-term rentals to protect the local population from the virus.  I can understand and sympathize with both sides.
Same where I am.  I get it, the weather is lovely, the scenery is lovely, but the car parks are closed for a reason: please don't drive down here to have your kids play on the beach.  Stay the fuck home.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!