Author Topic: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?  (Read 92344 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Coronavirus - How can people be so incredibly stupid?
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
I just read an article suggesting that Trump supporters will be hardest hit by this. As a group, they are older and believe that the media is making this up to hurt Trump...and they aren't buying into social distancing.

Karma.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »
I wonder if coronavirus will create some sort of turning point where Trump supporters are finally forced to accept some small amount of reality that doesn't jive with the Trump/Fox News propaganda machine of lies.

You don't actually know any Trump supporters, do you?

I would bet not.   The ones I know want to believe it's all some liberal conspiracy to make Trump look bad.   All the people dying all over the world is either not really happening or they're dying so US Democrats can win the election.     They seem to be waffling on which is the 'true' explanation.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
Everyone I know is staying home. Even my kids who aren’t at high risk like we are. I canceled all my medical appointments.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
I wonder if coronavirus will create some sort of turning point where Trump supporters are finally forced to accept some small amount of reality that doesn't jive with the Trump/Fox News propaganda machine of lies.

Magical thinking.  If one wants/believes something enough, it will happen.  Seems to be Trumps' MO, so why not the followers too?

You don't actually know any Trump supporters, do you?

I would bet not.   The ones I know want to believe it's all some liberal conspiracy to make Trump look bad.   All the people dying all over the world is either not really happening or they're dying so US Democrats can win the election.     They seem to be waffling on which is the 'true' explanation.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
Everyone I know is staying home. Even my kids who aren’t at high risk like we are. I canceled all my medical appointments.

My medical appointments have been cancelled for me.  I have a dental cleaning next month and haven't heard from the office yet, but I can only assume it's also going to be cancelled.  If not I am planning to cancel it before then.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »

My medical appointments have been cancelled for me.  I have a dental cleaning next month and haven't heard from the office yet, but I can only assume it's also going to be cancelled.  If not I am planning to cancel it before then.
I got a call today to schedule an appointment for an extremely non-urgent referral . . .

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
Because of peoples stupidity a shutdown imo is inevitable so lets do it now and be done with it. I dont think this is a political thing nor making it one helps but just gets this divided country that much more angry.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2020, 02:40:52 PM »

It seems like the people who think it's an overreaction are Trumpers, watch FOX News, or are young and don't care about other people.

FIFY. You don't need to be young to not care about others.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »

It seems like the people who think it's an overreaction are Trumpers, watch FOX News, or are young and don't care about other people.

The young (and healthy) think they are invulnerable, so many of them don't consider it as serious and don't like to quarantine or see government action closing down their bars, etc., and the economic fallout from all of the response to the coronavirus, so they complain that it's an overreaction, since they personally aren't likely to have a serious illness from COVID-19.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2020, 05:21:13 PM »

The young (and healthy) think they are invulnerable, so many of them don't consider it as serious and don't like to quarantine or see government action closing down their bars, etc., and the economic fallout from all of the response to the coronavirus, so they complain that it's an overreaction, since they personally aren't likely to have a serious illness from COVID-19.

Yes. But there's an awful lot of assholes, narcissists, self-absorbed, or just plain nasty people out there who aren't young and don't care. I'm fairly sure my neighbor is doing her normal routine. Luckily for everyone, her normal routine is stay at home 90% of the time anyway.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »

That's only because some numbers have been hyped over others. It's true that you're a lot more likely to die if you are older with underlying conditions. That doesn't mean that the only people getting a serious dose will be in that category. 30% of people will get a severe dose, no matter their age. A severe dose means that you'll be seriously ill and possibly hospitalised. You may develop lifelong respiratory problems from the damage. You may well die, even if you're young and healthy, especially if the hospital systems are overwhelmed. Or if supply chains are overwhelmed and you're suddenly a bit malnourished. Or if you find you can't get clean water so easily. Or if you have at the same time some otherwise not life threatening condition that you can't get treatment for - even basic parasite infestations might qualify for this scenario. Or if you have transport issues and can't physically get to medical care. It doesn't take that much to have a stretched medical, food supply, water and public transport system, and suddenly we're all very vulnerable. Buckle up, people. You better hope all those scientists that haven't had decent funding in decades develop some good drugs quickly.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »
What source says that 30% of young, healthy people will have a severe reaction from the disease? That's not my understanding of the epidemiology, at all.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2020, 05:57:00 PM »
What source says that 30% of young, healthy people will have a severe reaction from the disease? That's not my understanding of the epidemiology, at all.

That's because you're listening to news sources taking about death rates, not rates of illness. The link below is a one I found available to everyone. The 30% I got from a study published on a subscription medical study site. It was published a week or more ago so data may have changed.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/u-s-official-says-data-show-severe-coronavirus-infections-among-millennials-not-just-older-americans/

"....which appeared in the journal Pediatrics and looked at more than 2,100 pediatric infections in China, reported that 90% of children had asymptomatic, mild, or moderate infections. Only 5.9% had severe or critical cases, compared to up to 20% in adults."

"“The idea that this is a disease that causes death in older people, we need to be very, very careful with,” said Mike Ryan, the head of the WHO’s emergency program, who noted that almost 20% of deaths in South Korea were in people younger than 60."

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2020, 06:13:10 PM »

That's because you're listening to news sources taking about death rates, not rates of illness. The link below is a one I found available to everyone. The 30% I got from a study published on a subscription medical study site. It was published a week or more ago so data may have changed.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/u-s-official-says-data-show-severe-coronavirus-infections-among-millennials-not-just-older-americans/

A relevant article with some early figures from the US:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-young-people.html

Edited to add these excerpts from the article:

"I think everyone should be paying attention to this," said Stephen S. Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health. "It's not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy."

And, about the limitations of the earliest data:

Some of the patients in the study are still sick, the authors noted, so the results of their cases are unclear. Data was missing for a number of the cases, "which likely resulted in an underestimation of the outcomes," the authors wrote. Because of the missing data, the authors presented percentages of hospitalizations, I.C.U. admissions and deaths as a range. The report also says that the limited testing available in the United States so far makes this report only an early snapshot of the crisis.

Still, the authors wrote, "these preliminary data also demonstrate that severe illness leading to hospitalization, including I.C.U. admission and death, can occur in adults of any age with Covid-19."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:41:26 PM by hops »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »

Not so far.

The number of Republicans who consider coronavirus a serious threat has actually *fallen* in the past month, from 72 to 40 percent.

Because of Trump.

He has blood on his hands.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/17/trump-learns-pitfalls-his-pinocchio-presidency/

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »

The study said:
"Only 5.9% [of children] had severe or critical cases, compared to up to 20% in adults."

"Up to 20%" (which itself is a vague figure - this might mean that of the most vulnerable group, the 20% applied) of all adults doesn't equate to 30% of young and healthy adults.

And the NYT article also doesn't provide a percentage figure for how many people within a cohort could expect to suffer a severe illness.

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2020, 07:34:31 PM »
For those who are wondering if we made it 2 states away, we did! We only stopped for gas, ate our lunch in the car, and sanitized the gas nozzle handle. We got there just in time as the governor called all school off for the rest of the year. It’s going to rain 2 weeks, so my husband will fix all sorts of things around the house (it’s in the middle of nowhere) before heading back. I’ve committed myself to many months of being with my adorable grandchildren!

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
You'd think Trump would have taken coronavirus more seriously, considering the overlap in age demographics between his voter base and those most likely to die from it.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »

The chances of that are 0.0000%

They will do what they always do and triple down on their platform of lies, disinformation, and blaming people with brown skin.

There is a bit of good news.  Fox News hosts have decided to stop their lying and disinformation campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKbwDf51bA&feature=emb_logo

Because they have no brains, all the right wing Fucktards will forget about all their previous stream of lies, and get on board.

So that's good, Fox News stopped actively working against the public health of the interests of the entire country.  Maybe, just maybe, we can actually work towards a solution without Fox and Rush Limbaugh actively throwing sand in the gears.

[MOD NOTE: I get the anger, but let's try to keep things more constructive.]

Bad new is:  The right wing anti-American fucktards have worked overtime to block effective action against a major public health crisis.   And the lies and bullshit have cost us about two months headstart, and the lies and bullshit have continued even as we watch the horror show unfold in Wuhan and Italy in real time.  "Fake news!" the fucktards claim.

Attn: Right wing anti-American fucktards.  You are complete and total pieces of shit.  Your anti-science, anti-American agenda will result in the needless deaths of lots of people.  This was seen early on as a major problem and in response our president and government spewed a stream of lies and BS that would fertilize the Sinai. Yet you supported this stream of lies and BS and downplayed the problem until it became too late to take effective action.   And you did it because you falsely concluded lying would result in a "win" for your side.  Putting party over country was more important than county. 

You are the dregs of humanity.  And I'm being generous.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:37:32 AM by FrugalToque »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:24 PM »

Pretty much.

If corona ends up blowing over without an issue, it'll be people who wanted to ruin business/have more government control take more power. And more people just being sissies or overreacting.

If it's a big deal, it's easily blamed on China and all the more reason to have stronger borders.

Pretty much the only way this situation doesn't get twisted for Trump's benefit is if he dies of it tbh.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »

They will do what they always do and triple down on their platform of lies, disinformation, and blaming people with brown skin.

There is a bit of good news.  Fox News hosts have decided to stop their lying and disinformation campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKbwDf51bA&feature=emb_logo

Because they have no brains, all the right wing Fucktards will forget about all their previous stream of lies, and get on board.

So that's good, Fox News stopped actively working against the public health of the interests of the entire country.  Maybe, just maybe, we can actually work towards a solution without Fox and Rush Limbaugh actively throwing sand in the gears.

Bad new is:  The right wing anti-American fucktards have worked overtime to block effective action against a major public health crisis.   And the lies and bullshit have cost us about two months headstart, and the lies and bullshit have continued even as we watch the horror show unfold in Wuhan and Italy in real time.  "Fake news!" the fucktards claim.

Attn:  Right wing anti-American fucktards.  You are complete and total pieces of shit.  Your anti-science, anti-American agenda will result in the needless deaths of lots of people.  This was seen early on as a major problem and in response our president and government spewed a stream of lies and BS that would fertilize the Sinai. Yet you supported this stream of lies and BS and downplayed the problem until it became too late to take effective action.   And you did it because you falsely concluded lying would result in a "win" for your side.  Putting party over country was more important than county. 

You are the dregs of humanity.  And I'm being generous.

There is one of these from my high school that frequently posts about hating liars and bullies. Such a disconnect.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:57 PM »

The study said:
"Only 5.9% [of children] had severe or critical cases, compared to up to 20% in adults."

"Up to 20%" (which itself is a vague figure - this might mean that of the most vulnerable group, the 20% applied) of all adults doesn't equate to 30% of young and healthy adults.

And the NYT article also doesn't provide a percentage figure for how many people within a cohort could expect to suffer a severe illness.

My advice to you would be to get on some of the open access article sites like PubMed, AMJ or BMJ and do your reading from the source. I can't link you to what I'm reading because you'd only be able to see the abstract. News sites are the not the place to get real information on epidemiology

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2020, 04:35:11 AM »

The study said:

My advice to you would be to get on some of the open access article sites like PubMed, AMJ or BMJ and do your reading from the source. I can't link you to what I'm reading because you'd only be able to see the abstract. News sites are the not the place to get real information on epidemiology

You can - sci-hub.tw is your best friend to get full text papers without a university account. Heck, I prefer sci-hub because it's less laborious than going through the university library website.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »
So the latest story is how college students are still flocking to Florida to enjoy their spring break whining about how this virus thing is restricting them.  A friend of a friend commented that there's nothing wrong with their behavior and if old sick people don't want to die, they should just stay away from these kids.

Yes, because infected people clearly have a big icon floating over there heads alerting others to stay away from them, and people carrying a highly communicable illness should be allowed unfettered access to the rest of society.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »
Tragedy of the commons. But if we let people smoke and eat themselves to death and cause huge medical costs for the rest of the community, we can hardly complain about others (college students) making decisions in the moment that cause social costs.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2020, 06:41:20 PM »
Tragedy of the commons. But if we let people smoke and eat themselves to death and cause huge medical costs for the rest of the community, we can hardly complain about others (college students) making decisions in the moment that cause social costs.

Sure we can.  And we should... loudly.  We are finding out younger people are not as invulnerable as originally thought, so it's not totally self-less to self quarantine if you're younger.  And that benefits society to keep the spread down - flatten the curve.  It doesn't appear to be working so well, so people really need to hunker down.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »

Really getting tired of the "but Americans eat like shit and nobody cares" comparisons.  I can choose not to eat poorly prepared or otherwise unhealthy food.  I can stay away from people with a cigarette plainly sticking out of their mouths.  I can't choose whose contaminated exhalations I breath in, especially if they don't know it themselves.  And we've already done a pretty good job of ostracizing smokers and making it financially difficult to pursue their habit through additional sales taxes. 

But nevermind one of these kids could chain-reaction infect thousands of people during their travels this week. Kids gotta party.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2020, 07:19:48 PM »

Not to single this comment out, but how did the human race become so bad at solving problems?  Sure, you (and many bloggers, MMM included) may have a point that the ongoing societal problems with obesity and car accidents are a problem that no on seems to care about.  We could have a great discussion about if the benefits of eating too much or driving outweigh the cumulative costs of dying somewhat earlier than if you were healthier. 

But there is a real, solvable pandemic going on in the world and we don't need to distract ourselves with this stuff right now while we marshal our attention toward winning this immediate, acute 'war'.   Once we stop transmitting the virus to each other (like China seems to have), then you can tell me all about how too many lives are lost to other preventable (but less immediate) causes all day long.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
I'm not saying that the college students are doing the right thing, or that you shouldn't try to dissuade them from doing what they're doing, or that it's objectively reasonable to congregate in large numbers.

I'm saying that you can tell them what to do, but unless you force them to stop congregating, no other soft strategy will work.

There are very few things (other than self-interest, or perceived self-interest) that motivate large groups of humans, and that's just one of the features of the tragedy of the commons.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2020, 06:16:31 PM »
Baton Rouge pastor defies governor,
nbc15.com

Baton-Rouge-pastor-defies-governor
3 days ago

The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... "We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”

Louisiana pastor holds church service with 300 people
cbsnews.com
3 days ago

Louisiana pastor holds church service for over 300 people, defying ... night with hundreds of congregants despite an order from the state's governor

Rev. Tony Spell defies coronavirus gatherings ban
washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Declaring that the coronavirus is "politically motivated," a Louisiana pastor held a church service with hundreds of people in violation of the ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:40:18 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago
The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”.

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

Louisiana pastor holds church service for over 300 people, defying ... night with hundreds of congregants despite an order from the state's governor

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Declaring that the coronavirus is "politically motivated," a Louisiana pastor held a church service with hundreds of people in violation of the ...

I'm really at the point that if these damn fools want to go get themselves killed by this virus, it's ok by me.   Less of them around come November.

My only regrets are (a) they are so stupid they are a danger to us all and (b) innocent people might be killed by these nitwits.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
There was no cancellation of all sporting events and school closures with entire cities being told to shelter in place during H1N1.  Considering the huge numbers affected back then vs. now it seems very much not the same.  What is different?  Pervasive social platforms and a media with a 24 hour agenda.  I resent them.  Inferring that anyone who notices the difference must be some tinfoil hat bitter clinger is not helpful.  I hope that since we are in the thick of it now the extreme measures will simply result in a swifter conclusion.  We can argue about whether there was an over reaction once everyone is in the clear.

Why the hell are people still comparing Corona to swine flu and declaring swine flu worse. Can you folks not grasp the difference in time frame and confirmed vs estimated cases?

Corona is just getting going and we're already blowing past confirmed case counts for swine flu over a 2 year period, and swine flu had a 0.02% mortality rate.

When it's all said and done the number of cases, hospitalizations, permanent injuries and deaths from Corona will dwarf swine flu no matter what we do at this point. The only thing we can do is work to mitigate as much as possible.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago
The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”.

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I'm really at the point that if these damn fools want to go get themselves killed by this virus, it's ok by me.   Less of them around come November.

My only regrets are (a) they are so stupid they are a danger to us all and (b) innocent people might be killed by these nitwits.

Bit of history...
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbench/2020/03/influenza-pandemic-1918-churches/

Religion can both help and hinder, as evidenced during the 1918 flu pandemic. I'm perfectly ok with prosecuting the ones that hinder.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
buzzfeednews
 Coronavirus
5 days ago

The Coronavirus Is Spreading Through Latin America, But Mexico's President Is Still Out There Kissing Children

Washington Post
days ago

“There are those who say we should stop hugging because of coronavirus...But we should hug. Nothing’s going to happen.”

"[Conservative opponents]  want us to get infected...That’s what they want so they can blame me for everything.”

“Pandemics and other unfortunate events won’t do anything to us.”

Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador

"That he’s over 60 years old doesn’t mean he faces any specific risks."

“The president’s strength is moral in nature...His force is not that of contagion.”

Hugo López-Gatell, Mexico’s deputy secretary of health
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:02:34 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #384 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:34 AM »
One of our ex politicians wrote a wonderful article today

https://www.theage.com.au/national/people-on-bondi-beach-win-the-selfish-and-stupid-award-20200321-p54chx.html

The worst behaviour is from people who are returning from overseas or for other reasons have been told to self-isolate and don't.

They are wilfully putting their fellow Australians at risk. If you know someone like this, tick them off over the phone and then rub them off your contact list. They're selfish idiots, repositories of stupidity and you don't need to carry that baggage around for the rest of your life.

The people at Bondi Beach last week win the selfish and stupid award. We've all been asked to keep our distance, to limit our social interaction to help slow the spread. We thus contribute to flattening the curve so that our health system can cope. We will contribute to saving lives. But not those morons in Bondi.

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #385 on: March 23, 2020, 03:55:20 AM »
Not sure if this will play if you are state side as I am UK based but here is a call from a ER consultant to a radio show. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #386 on: March 23, 2020, 08:16:12 AM »
I have a friend whining that parking lots are being closed at local parks. Then she proceeded to tell me her experience at one of those very same crowded parks this weekend.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:57 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

The gathering directly defied an order by Louisiana Governor John Bel ... Tony Spell, says police showed up at the church after the service ... "We hold our religious rights dear and we are going to assemble no matter what someone says.”

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Is this the same guy who said "The power of prayer is greater than this virus?"  No, no it isn't.

Also saw a clip of extremists in Iran kissing and touching the gates to some holy site, with one guy actually licking it, saying that he is "cleaning off the virus."  Their religious leader is actively telling people to defy bans and that this is all a conspiracy by the west or some such crap.

I despair for humanity.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #388 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:02 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

Is this the same guy who said "The power of prayer is greater than this virus?"  No, no it isn't.

Also saw a clip of extremists in Iran kissing and touching the gates to some holy site, with one guy actually licking it, saying that he is "cleaning off the virus."  Their religious leader is actively telling people to defy bans and that this is all a conspiracy by the west or some such crap.

I despair for humanity.

The Mexican President is saying that he is too morally strong to be subject to the virus, amongst other crap.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »
Explains why they are needing a mass grave there @SunnyDays

Travis

• Magnum Stache

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2020, 05:48:07 AM »

The Mexican President is saying that he is too morally strong to be subject to the virus, amongst other crap.

Something incorporeal such as a character trait cannot provide immunity against a virus.

Thus his belief is alarmingly  irrational given that he is Mexico's "leader."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:58:53 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2020, 05:56:25 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

Sometimes I think religion is the bane of humanity.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

Personally, I think having people this incredibly pig-headed, intentionally ignorant and/or just plain stupid die off early is a blessing to any country.

My only regret is that they'll kill innocent people along with themselves.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

One of the silver linings of the current crisis is that I haven't been dragged to church in a few weeks, and it's looking like I won't be going for the foreseeable future.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

Personally, I think having people this incredibly pig-headed, intentionally ignorant and/or just plain stupid die off early is a blessing to any country.

My only regret is that they'll kill innocent people along with themselves.

Same. Those people are valuable to God in that they are His children and He loves them. However, they provide nothing of value here on earth and their absence won't hurt anybody.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2020, 11:38:27 AM »
Yeah I don't think so. This virus has caused a minuscule number of deaths outside China. The death rate for healthy people under 40 is 0.2%. It does not worry me in the slightest.

...and then what happened?

I don't mean to pick on Bloop but this kind of thinking is what led to what is going down in the USA right now. Many had the same thoughts.

The best time to take this thing seriously was several weeks ago. The second best time is right now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »
nbc15.com

3 days ago

cbsnews.com
3 days ago

washingtontimes.com
3 days ago

I despair for humanity.

And then there are the majority of churches that have moved to online services and have organized groups of volunteers to bring food and water and other necessities to those who are unable to go out to purchase these things for themselves or who are in the high-risk categories and do not want to venture outside. Those who have cars and who stocked up early are now cooking and dropping off food supplies  from their own stash to those who were unable to stock up early. Many of these folks were motivated to reach out and help because of their faith. I know there are many non-religious groups that do the same thing because of other values that they hold. My point as simply that the churches in the article are outliers and it’s not fair to lump all religious groups in with them by saying that religion is the bane of humanity.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm not religious at all, but in my area I think only the non-mainline Evangelical churches are still open. All the big Christian denomination churches and mosques went to online services two weekends ago.

Pretty much the churches full of Trump voters are the ones that have continued to hold normal services.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm not religious at all, but in my area I think only the non-mainline Evangelical churches are still open. All the big Christian denomination churches and mosques went to online services two weekends ago.

Pretty much the churches full of Trump voters are the ones that have continued to hold normal services.

Deus Vult!