Author Topic: Coronavirus- Why aren't more American wearing masks out in public ???  (Read 28998 times)

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Re: Coronavirus- Why aren't more American wearing masks out in public ???
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2020, 02:17:21 PM »
Looks like the CDC may finally be coming around on the science behind face masks and slowing transmission.

In a draft document obtained by STAT, the CDC recommended that the public use homemade face coverings when in public, reserving higher-grade protective equipment like N95 masks for hospitals and health care workers, who have faced severe shortages in personal protective equipment as the coronavirus pandemic has accelerated through the United States.

Such face coverings, according to the draft guidance, would not be intended to protect the wearer, but rather prevent the wearer from unknowingly spreading the disease when in public. Individuals should wear face coverings in public settings like grocery stores, the guidance said.
Source

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2020, 03:37:14 PM »
Last trip out for groceries was two weeks ago, and I only saw one person at each store wearing a mask (cloth).  I'm due to go out this weekend, so it will be interesting to see if there's an increase in mask wearers.

Where I work, we have been told we are not wear a mask at work unless there is some medical need OTHER than just preventing spread of COVID-19.  I think the idea is that they are to go to health care workers.

I've been using contamination procedure since March 1st for every trip home.  I don't think wiping things off always gets into all of the crevices of grocery items, so I first spray thoroughly unless it's something I can set aside for at least 5 days (usually longer).  I've read that some coronaviruses can live on surfaces for 9 days despite recently published test results.  Also, they can live longer if in the freezer.

Also, the aerosol breath cloud emitted during breathing or talking can travel up to 27 ft and hang in the air for a while, and you could breath it in while walking from even further away into that affected area, so 6 ft' social distance isn't really completely safe, it's just a good start.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2020, 04:15:28 PM »
New York Times just posted an article that Trump will be recommending that all Americans wear cloth face masks, per new CDC guidelines.

It’s going to take a while to get folks on board with this new messaging that is directly opposed to old messaging.

They could have started flattening the curve a lot earlier if they had learned from the Asian countries instead of insisting on reinventing the wheel themselves. Oh well. Better late than never.

ETA: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/world/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:18:32 PM by Freedomin5 »

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
NYC mayor just told everyone to stop wearing masks and wear a bandanna or scarf instead. Donate any masks to hospital. How sad.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2020, 06:32:45 PM »
I live near a very large Asian-American community and lots of people there wear masks on a regular basis pre-covid so not unusual. I've taken to making a few out of old bras and works good. Since I'm RE and live alone now I dont really need to be around people so rarely need one anyways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sea.mashable.com/culture/9489/out-of-face-masks-try-using-an-old-bra%3famp=1

I feel like people would judge me for wearing a frilly blue bra face mask.  :P
Well there's always the plain white utilitarian nursing bra. Even comes with a "trap door" flap if ever needed. I'm sticking with the lacy red bra-mask because WTF not. It is the end of the world after all! Plus as a single woman living alone and self-distancing I don't have any where else to wear them ;-)

What are your thoughts on these n95 replacements that I've been reading about?

They seem to be widely available in drug stores and come with handy self adhesive strips.  :P
LOL! So practical. For those of us who like to practice social distancing by going on long solo bike rides and walks/runs, they may come in handy in this new world order where every public bathroom in the world is closed. You boys probably don't see how impactful to us women that is but it is areal thing to be far from home when you drink too much water on your ride and the call of nature kicks in while in a crowded suburb. I remember your thread about searching for public bathroom locations before long rides.

If you go on long bike rides and are pissed off that dudes can just stand up and pee while you have to run for the bushes . . . there's a product for you:

https://www.shewee.ca/

You're welcome!

:P

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2020, 07:49:56 PM »
@Kris Thanks for posting that no-sew face mask video! I sent it to a few friends and shared it with our local COVID-19 Mutual Aid FB group. That is a great little solution.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2020, 07:54:44 PM »
@Kris Thanks for posting that no-sew face mask video! I sent it to a few friends and shared it with our local COVID-19 Mutual Aid FB group. That is a great little solution.

You’re welcome! We have made masks like this, as have other friends as well.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
I have some sturdy cotton yarn, so I think I'm going to knit a dense outer layer in a mask shape with ear loops and sew a couple of layers of T-shirt fabric on the inside. My sewing skills don't go further than that but I am a decent knitter, so we'll see if this works. If so, I'll make versions for my parents and husband (assuming I have enough yarn in appropriately manly colors).

I used to go to town 1X per week to do everything that needed to be done.

Now I go 1X per month.

When I go I'll wear a double-layer mask  I made from a new scarf that is made of pretty dense material.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2020, 10:01:23 PM »
Its a bit comical to me that I see all kind of articles about wearing face masks now.
Its everywhere, youtube, Trump, Dr Fauci, CDC, WHO..........
Its like they all had an epiphany or something. Hey just "maybe" wearing face masks out in public might just help.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2020, 10:59:17 AM »
It's not like we don't know this stuff.  Remember MASH?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=L5CNHDeF2xA&feature=emb_logo

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2020, 06:46:33 PM »
[quote author=spartana

If you go on long bike rides and are pissed off that dudes can just stand up and pee while you have to run for the bushes . . . there's a product for you:

https://www.shewee.ca/

You're welcome!

:P
[/quote]uurrrrggghhh... Some things just shouldn't exist. Although I kind of like it.
[/quote]

Ummm...a friend...told me the sheewee and similar products are actually pretty awesome.  Especially great if crouching is hard on your knees and/or if you don't want your butt two inches away from the ground. 

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2020, 06:53:45 PM »
My employer passed out cloth masks today. I took a blue one. It's a bit large, so I suppose I'll try to shrink it in the wash. I didn't feel like a total dork while grocery shopping, since a few others were wearing masks as well.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »
Yesterday I wore a buff as a mask for my walk.  I didn't go into any markets and stayed away from others so I didn't really need it.  I just wanted to test the waters.  1) Test comfort and 2) reaction of others. 

The comfort level was acceptable but a buff wrapping around my head isn't going to be great when it's warmer. It's also difficult to pull off in terms of "dressing up". Should we ever get back to having a reason for dressing up. So, for that reason, I'll look into cloth masks options.  I'm a handkerchief fan so I may try some DIY option with them. Can't sew.  I find tying a bandana robber style to be really uncomfortable.

I did get a couple of looks but nothing too worrying.  I was a little self conscious so maybe it was more me than anyone else.  I only saw two other people wearing face masks and one of them was a street crew guy.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
Updated CDC guidance today asks people to (voluntarily) wear cloth masks: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
Funny I was cleaning out the garage today. One of many honey-to-do list and I found a 3M kit with the mask, google and ear plugs.
No clue as when I ever bought one. The kit probably cost maybe $5 but I acted like I found gold or something. LOL

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
Funny I was cleaning out the garage today. One of many honey-to-do list and I found a 3M kit with the mask, google and ear plugs.
No clue as when I ever bought one. The kit probably cost maybe $5 but I acted like I found gold or something. LOL

That's how I felt when I found family size bottles of hand sanitizer I had forgotten about.  It was after 2 weeks of grimly checking stores.  I thought I had won the lottery...

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »
Last trip out for groceries was two weeks ago, and I only saw one person at each store wearing a mask (cloth).  I'm due to go out this weekend, so it will be interesting to see if there's an increase in mask wearers.

Where I work, we have been told we are not wear a mask at work unless there is some medical need OTHER than just preventing spread of COVID-19.  I think the idea is that they are to go to health care workers.

I've been using contamination procedure since March 1st for every trip home.  I don't think wiping things off always gets into all of the crevices of grocery items, so I first spray thoroughly unless it's something I can set aside for at least 5 days (usually longer).  I've read that some coronaviruses can live on surfaces for 9 days despite recently published test results.  Also, they can live longer if in the freezer.

Also, the aerosol breath cloud emitted during breathing or talking can travel up to 27 ft and hang in the air for a while, and you could breath it in while walking from even further away into that affected area, so 6 ft' social distance isn't really completely safe, it's just a good start.
You can spray 3% hydrogen peroxide on any exterior surface and just let it dry. It kills viruses but take a bit longer then bleach but isn't toxic like bleach and just breaks down to safe by-products without having to wipe off. Cheap and seems to be lots of it out there unlike 70% or great rubbing alcohol or bleach products.
I bought a bottle of hydrogen peroxide back on March 1st.  I'm been using Lysol All Purpose spray for my grocery spraying to this point.  It's pretty easy to use.  I've got some 91% and 70% alcohol but haven't used that to this point.  I have those Clorox wipes but haven't use those much.  I've still got plenty of hand sanitizer left over from my March 1st shopping trip.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2020, 01:52:40 PM »

That's how I felt when I found family size bottles of hand sanitizer I had forgotten about.  It was after 2 weeks of grimly checking stores.  I thought I had won the lottery...

Ha, I was cleaning out my laptop bag trying to find plugs/chargers for the kids and found a 250count bottle of tylenol and given I'm fighting quite the toothache right now you'd have thought I struck oil (no wait, oil is not worth anything now, so even better I guess)

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
I switched over to hydrogen peroxide after lysol set off my sinuses.  And yes, HP is to easier than rubbing alcohol to find.  The shelves are also bare of HP but a couple of times I was able to snag a remaining bottle.

I wore a sleep mask today, migrating it south to my nose and mouth.  Worked really work in terms of staying in place.  No sewing or DIY needed. I did cinch up the elastic bands for a tighter fit.  I found 4 of them in about 5 minutes of searching.  I probably have another 4 stashed all over the apartment. Most of them freebies from long international flights.

I liked it much more than wearinga buff as it didn't mess up my hair.  So I can show up in civilized society.  And it was just more comfortable not having my head and face covered up so much. It was a bit warm though as it was quite thick.  I'll see how the thinner ones fare.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:04:40 PM by dodojojo »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
Well, I found masks in my house. They're dust masks, but I would guess are about as effective as a simple homemade cloth mask. Forgot I had a package - I use them for mowing the lawn when it's dry/dusty, or occasionally for messy house projects. So, next grocery trip in about 2 weeks I will have a mask.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2020, 11:53:14 AM »
Wore the CDC cloth face cover today for the first time on our daily 3 mile walk. We ran into about 10 others on the trail and i think one had a mask on. Fortunately there is sufficient room to keep proper distance.

We aren't in a highly impacted area (250 cases in city of about 500k) but would still rather be cautious for us and others.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »
We wore our masks out for the first time today.  I may try to make some fit adjustments so they stay up a bit better, but all in all a successful test run.  There were lots of people in masks, some homemade but some not.  Maybe 40-50% of people I saw?  Seems it is catching on fast.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:27 PM »
What are you guys going to do when you're cycling or running?      Masks are hot and reduce air flow, i.e. make it harder to breath when you're doing cardio. 

do we have to stop exercising outdoors?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »
What are you guys going to do when you're cycling or running?      Masks are hot and reduce air flow, i.e. make it harder to breath when you're doing cardio. 

You don't need to wear a mask when exercising outdoors if you can keep social distance.  Masks are recommended when you go to the grocery store, pharmacy, or are in other situations in which social distance is difficult. 

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

You don't need to wear a mask when exercising outdoors if you can keep social distance.  Masks are recommended when you go to the grocery store, pharmacy, or are in other situations in which social distance is difficult.

The bike trail I use to get into downtown can get pretty congested.  I plan on wearing a buff or balaclava which is standard MO for winter/cool weather.  Will have to see what will need to be done in the summer where it's hot and humid here.  I have summer buffs but I have tried wearing them for sun protection and it was unbearable in hot humid weather.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »
I sure wish people would read the whole thread before posting repetitively the same information.

Summary of repeated advice over and over and over...

Wear a cloth mask - doesn't contribute to shortage and some efficacy - way more if everyone does it. 

Leave surgical masks for medical front-liners.
I skimmed it, was curious when the thread took a turn given the most recent guidelines.

Simple and effective. Everyone has a t-shirt.

Probably shouldn't wear this one if you're going to the bank though.

That's cool.

For a minute it seemed like the purpose of the mask was primarily to keep the wearers hands off their face, but now I see a lot of discussion/articles regarding filtration. For cycling I had been looking for a neck gaiter/scarf/buff, so we sewed up one of those out of some spare polyester athletic wear material we had around.

Here's an example: https://buffusa.com/ - (is the "Survivor" branded one in bad taste?)

edit: still searching for more information - this is pretty amazing: https://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/build-your-own-face-mask-and-respirator-empty-soda-bottles.html

edit 2: and now I'm ready for protesting: https://www.popsci.com/story/diy/tear-gas-guide/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:54:37 PM by hadabeardonce »

T-Money$

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
Why aren’t people wearing goggles in public?

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/covid19-may-be-transmitted-through-the-eye-report-finds

And who knows what else.   Perhaps infection through follicle openings is possible?   For all we know the virus could be transferable through the rectum.  Better plug that area up too, just to be safe.

Anything less and you are endangering the health of your neighbors and friends and coworkers.   

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2020, 02:29:15 PM »
Why aren’t people wearing goggles in public?

https://www.ajmc.com/newsroom/covid19-may-be-transmitted-through-the-eye-report-finds

And who knows what else.   Perhaps infection through follicle openings is possible?   For all we know the virus could be transferable through the rectum.  Better plug that area up too, just to be safe.

Anything less and you are endangering the health of your neighbors and friends and coworkers.

I do actually wear my glasses when I’m out  in public. And have been since early March.

It’s just common sense that aerosolized contaminated fluids coming into contact with the eye could cause infection.

I’m not really sure why you’re acting like that’s outrageously stupid...?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:31:57 PM by Kris »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2020, 02:30:01 PM »
In other news, British PM Boris Johnson has just been admitted to the hospital.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:57 PM »
I worried they would be screamed at for possessing actual N95 masks by the hysterical Stasi that has come out of the woodwork.  Doesn't matter where they got them or that they were never available to medical personnel, they are likely to be scolded by the clueless residents of Mount Pious who insist on telling others what to do while barely managing their own lives (I am looking at you, paper plate Mafia). 

Ya, that seems to be happening here as well.  People losing their shit because some people are wearing latex gloves .... "THESE NEED TO BE LEFT FOR THE MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.  YOU ARE DEPRIVING THEM OF SUPPLIES".  Ok, relax partner, I don't think the hospitals are shopping for their supplies at the auto parts / paint / hardware store.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »

I don't ever come within 10 ft of anyone else while I'm cycling on the road.  I wouldn't cycle on a bike path though, they're unsafe and you can't maintain proper distance.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2020, 06:33:14 PM »
I don't wear one because the virus is not airborne. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Also, I'm 38, in great health, and so am at the lowest risk of being killed by it, so would prefer a doctor have it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2020, 06:57:59 PM »
If Trump wore a mask, all of his supporters would immediately don a mask.

Think of the difference he could make.

And yet, he does not.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »
I don't wear one because the virus is not airborne. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

Also, I'm 38, in great health, and so am at the lowest risk of being killed by it, so would prefer a doctor have it.

They still help with the spread of respiratory droplets and are recommended by the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Also, they most likely are airborne:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/you-may-be-able-spread-coronavirus-just-breathing-new-report-finds

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2020, 08:43:53 PM »

I hope you are joking. Last night in the ICU I took care of two people in their 30s, no preexisting conditions. And yes, it is airborne. We are using contact, airborne and droplet precautions with out patients.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2020, 10:00:53 PM »

Its this type of attitude is why our country is having a crisis right now.
1) Having a mask greatly reduce the chance you spreading it(you might not even know you have it).
2) Yeah you're in great health and you won't die from it but you will infect others that are not young and will die from it.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2020, 06:21:40 AM »
If everyone else is wearing masks, then is there any reason for me to wear one?

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2020, 06:25:55 AM »

Their cotton bandanna masks keep their cough spray off you. If you cough spray, your particles can come through their masks and infect them.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 06, 2020, 06:26:13 AM »

Masks are not 100% effective.  They decrease the wearer's chance of transmitting the virus to you, but someone else in a mask can't stop you from picking it up and spreading it around.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: April 06, 2020, 06:26:42 AM »

There's a chance you're an asymptomatic carrier. Maybe the mask you wear will catch any droplets you exhale and then they won't land on objects that other people touch. So they may help slow the spread.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #190 on: April 06, 2020, 06:30:52 AM »

The main job of the non-medical masks is to protect others from you.  You could be asymptomatic, feel perfectly healthy, and be shedding virus like mad in all the droplets you breathe out.  So yes, if everyone else is wearing a mask they are protecting you from any virus they might be shedding.  Protect them from you, wear a mask.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: April 06, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
I read a succinct explanation somewhere (another MMM thread?).

I wear a mask to protect you.  You wear a mask to protect me.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »

I don't ever come within 10 ft of anyone else while I'm cycling on the road.  I wouldn't cycle on a bike path though, they're unsafe and you can't maintain proper distance.

Funny, I feel the same way about roads.  The bike paths I use aren't very busy though.    And I suspect you're a lot faster than I am.

Do you mean they're unsafe because of the all the cyclists with poor road manners?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »

The bike trail I use to get into downtown can get pretty congested.  I plan on wearing a buff or balaclava which is standard MO for winter/cool weather.  Will have to see what will need to be done in the summer where it's hot and humid here.  I have summer buffs but I have tried wearing them for sun protection and it was unbearable in hot humid weather.
This is what I am doing.  I wear a buff to keep my hair back anyway.  I don't run with it on my face, it steams my glasses. But while running or walking, if I am unable to avoid people (I generally will move into the street to avoid others on the sidewalk, but sometimes a bunch of people collide), then I stop, pull up/ down the buff, and wait until all is clear.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »

Funny, I feel the same way about roads.  The bike paths I use aren't very busy though.    And I suspect you're a lot faster than I am.

Do you mean they're unsafe because of the all the cyclists with poor road manners?

My biggest complaint about cycle paths is that there's usually too much traffic to cycle on them.  Dog walkers let their dogs wander across both lanes, there are often little kids going along at 1 kph, there are elderly folks hobbling along.  I don't feel comfortable moving quickly with so many obstacles so generally try to avoid these paths in favor of the road.

But around here right now the off road cycle paths are choked with people walking their dogs and cycling.  It's not possible to maintain safe social distance of 6.5 ft on a paved path that's only 6 ft wide with people moving in both directions, and most folks I've seen don't even bother to try.  Much safer to be on the road.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »
I worried they would be screamed at for possessing actual N95 masks by the hysterical Stasi that has come out of the woodwork.  Doesn't matter where they got them or that they were never available to medical personnel, they are likely to be scolded by the clueless residents of Mount Pious who insist on telling others what to do while barely managing their own lives (I am looking at you, paper plate Mafia). 

Ya, that seems to be happening here as well.  People losing their shit because some people are wearing latex gloves .... "THESE NEED TO BE LEFT FOR THE MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS.  YOU ARE DEPRIVING THEM OF SUPPLIES".  Ok, relax partner, I don't think the hospitals are shopping for their supplies at the auto parts / paint / hardware store.
Unfortunately it seems that they are.

"Some facilities stated that they turned to non-traditional sources of medical equipment and supplies to combat supply chain disruptions.  For instance, some hospitals considered sources for PPE that they would not normally use—such as online retailers, home supply stores, paint stores, autobody supply shops, and beauty salons. "

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-20-00300.pdf   - see page 9.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »

"Some facilities stated that they turned to non-traditional sources of medical equipment and supplies to combat supply chain disruptions.  For instance, some hospitals considered sources for PPE that they would not normally use—such as online retailers, home supply stores, paint stores, autobody supply shops, and beauty salons. "

Thankfully, not currently the case in my neck of the woods. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2020, 01:48:26 PM »

Thankfully, not currently the case in my neck of the woods.

I sincerely hope it stays that way.

We're grateful around here because the Big 3 automakers have fired up their plants to make masks and face shields. Before that, community drives and donations from veterinary clinics, auto shops, tattoo parlors, and museums (including the Detroit Institute of Arts) were supplying significant amounts of the PPE required by our local hospitals.

I have friends and family members working at some of those hospitals, so this is a particularly great concern re: their safety.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
My dd’s college friend died this week. She was 34yo. Don’t kid yourselves.

I am giving away masks as fast as I can see them, but honestly I’d rather stay home than wear one. They are ferociously uncomfortable. Maybe you get used to them

I’ve never been so grateful for my exercise equipment in the basement.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2020, 09:09:01 PM »
Made a mask today.  I used method #4 from [a href="https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-to-make-face-mask-from-fabric-covid-19_l_5e834a20c5b62dd9f5d628e8?utm_source=parents_fb&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3VPk7nWxxMX7f2mdpc3GmWZdAEYGeJlT6KQWaAG6Or0jYPpVh9cARY6_A&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGyTtZ6rNXx5rU42gL0ML1UkV5E160NNFPHy25udpObKdhe4zeWKQNZ8UXhNGmUCSHnpgc9VQOMOxgMhARw5x6UeER5M4BIoQ6eZ3YrXAD-nuyHp5tg8eUy6hzPIVmJ5j_MRA-z9hM7FPUcnSgacJxlW58UGuo9GEiYJY2l-Mosr"]this link[/a].

My thoughts, in case anyone wants to try it.  It's sort of a modified version of the fleece blanket with knotted edges that seemed to be all the rage at any baby shower I went to 5-10 years ago. I used sheets instead of a tee and I think the relative lack of give in the sheets made the knots much more of a bitch, but I got it done.  I am notoriously uncrafty and impatient with this kind of thing.  I learned a lot and will make a a few more tomorrow. I started with a 16x14 piece, folded to be 8x14, and that was a bit too large in both directions so I'll aim for 14/7x 13.  Also, I was using a fitted sheet, so I tore open the edge and used that elastic to make ear loops, instead of the strips of fabric suggested, which allows it to have a better and tighter fit. 

Due to improper equipment, trial and error, and a few other factors, it took me about two hours.  (You try opened in seam with a dull box cutter!)  I suspect the next one would be about 15-20 minutes. 

DH gets the first one to wear to work.  I'll make one for me though I haven't left the house (really.  Not for shopping, exercise, or anything else.)  in four weeks so who knows when I might every use it.  I think I am going to leave the rest on my front steps in an open box with a note saying thank you to delivery people and asking the to take one if needed.